Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Yes, even I'm now willing to admit that Crosby's a bit whinier than I'd care for one of the league's biggest stars to be.

But - and I don't remember if I mentioned this or not here, sorry if I have - I was watching the Pens the other night and was reminded of just how complete of a player Crosby is. In all three zones he was hustling, in the play, and participating. I remember one in particular where he was in front of his own net, helped defensively to break up a play, then hustled enough to be in for a 2 on 1 going the other way. I do appreciate that from our biggest stars. He might not be Toews out there, but no one can say he doesn't put forth the effort.

Like I said before, if he's seriously hurt and needs time to recuperate, the ASG is the perfect time to do it.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783791)
He's better than he used to be but sorry guys he's one of the top guys who bitches about clean hits. But it's ok if he's cross checking a guy in the back or sucker punching a guy while he has no way to defend him. He's not the only one who does this but he's one of the bigger ones and yeah, being high profile doesn't help. But the spotlights on you and that's the reality when it is. It's also part of the reality of the generation of hockey players coming up. They bitch over every hit whether it's dirty or not.

Two thumbs up, buddy.

bonzo48280 01-23-2015 01:24 PM

Toews > Crosby so who cares

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15783829)
Toews > Crosby so who cares

Toews is easily my second favorite player in the NHL right now. Which, coming from a d-man lover, is pretty damn good.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783824)
was reminded of just how complete of a player Crosby is. In all three zones he was hustling, in the play, and participating. I remember one in particular where he was in front of his own net, helped defensively to break up a play, then hustled enough to be in for a 2 on 1 going the other way.

this is literally every night with Sid, he shows up every.single.night.--even people in pittsburgh take it for granted how good he really is

people also forget that Crosby is an all-world defender too. rarely cheats up ice, never out of position, great stick...he's unreal

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783830)
Toews is easily my second favorite player in the NHL right now. Which, coming from a d-man lover, is pretty damn good.

He reminds me so much of Stevie Y. That's why I like him. Also wears that great #.

edit: also a lot easier to like him now that the Wings are in the East.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15783834)
this is literally every night with Sid, he shows up every.single.night.--even people in pittsburgh take it for granted how good he really is

people also forget that Crosby is an all-world defender too. rarely cheats up ice, never out of position, great stick...he's unreal

That's what got me interested in him in the first place. I was in Brazil, not watching a lot of hockey, when he broke into the league. He was already in his second or third season by the time I started watching him. I was blown away by how complete a player he was. Few guys with his pure skill level work the complete ice sheet like he does. Like you said, he does not cheat when it comes to effort.

I used to try to explain away his whining. Now I fully accept that he's gonna do it. I don't like it about him, but yeah. I guess it's part of taking the bad with the good. And the good is very, very good.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783840)
He reminds me so much of Stevie Y. That's why I like him. Also wears that great #.

edit: also a lot easier to like him now that the Wings are in the East.

Both Stevie and Super Joe.

And the great thing about Toews, is he's doing now what Joe and Stevie didn't really start doing with regularity until the latter half of their careers. Sure, Joe and Steve were never push overs defensively, but they played very offensive games early on. Toews plays a very complete game, and always has. Sure, he doesn't have Joe's wrist shot, but the completeness is there in abundance. He's a hockey player's hockey player.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783841)
That's what got me interested in him in the first place. I was in Brazil, not watching a lot of hockey, when he broke into the league. He was already in his second or third season by the time I started watching him. I was blown away by how complete a player he was. Few guys with his pure skill level work the complete ice sheet like he does. Like you said, he does not cheat when it comes to effort.

I used to try to explain away his whining. Now I fully accept that he's gonna do it. I don't like it about him, but yeah. I guess it's part of taking the bad with the good. And the good is very, very good.

he's the most talented grinder to ever play the game. that would be the best way to describe him IMO.

and like i said, people can call him a whiner all they way, but for me, i'd rather have a captain that's always in the ear of the officials than a captain that's passive and disinterested

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15783849)
he's the most talented grinder to ever play the game. that would be the best way to describe him IMO.

and like i said, people can call him a whiner all they way, but for me, i'd rather have a captain that's always in the ear of the officials than a captain that's passive and disinterested

If my kids ever decide to be forwards (heaven forbid) instead of defensemen, I will be showing them clips of Toews and Crosby when teaching them about on-ice responsibility. There's a few others that come to mind as well, but as far as BIG name stars, few do it better than those two.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 01:40 PM

agreed :thumbsup

i would've bet my life that the Pens & Hawks would've met in the finals by now. too bad Disco Dan and the stretch pass fold hard in the playoffs

i think that's the matchup the NHL wants too...would be super entertaining

mostly for non-pens fans to see the melt

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783848)
Both Stevie and Super Joe.

And the great thing about Toews, is he's doing now what Joe and Stevie didn't really start doing with regularity until the latter half of their careers. Sure, Joe and Steve were never push overs defensively, but they played very offensive games early on. Toews plays a very complete game, and always has. Sure, he doesn't have Joe's wrist shot, but the completeness is there in abundance. He's a hockey player's hockey player.

Your right. It'll "hurt" Toews in terms of his career #'s cause he won't be putting up 50 goals and 100 points but he'll be a game breaker in a number of different ways. But I think Yzerman's best years were 96-2002 and he wasn't scoring as much then either.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783868)
Your right. It'll "hurt" Toews in terms of his career #'s cause he won't be putting up 50 goals and 100 points but he'll be a game breaker in a number of different ways. But I think Yzerman's best years were 96-2002 and he wasn't scoring as much then either.

Agreed.

I'll take 30+ year-old Joe Sakic with the killer wrist shot and PK playing ability any day over 29 and under Joe.

And that's what's awesome about Toews... he's got the mindset of a veteran player in the body of a kid.

~Crashintome89~ 01-23-2015 01:47 PM

I kinda wish Crosby was there tonight and the captains have the audacity of selecting him last.

how awesome would that be? :lol :lol

~Crashintome89~ 01-23-2015 01:47 PM

I guess Crosby is even ducking Toews in an all star game.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15783880)
I kinda wish Crosby was there tonight and the captains have the audacity of selecting him last.

how awesome would that be? :lol :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15783881)
I guess Crosby is even ducking Toews in an all star game.

:lol:lol

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783878)
Agreed.

I'll take 30+ year-old Joe Sakic with the killer wrist shot and PK playing ability any day over 29 and under Joe.

And that's what's awesome about Toews... he's got the mindset of a veteran player in the body of a kid.

Never gave me your thoughts on Wings/Avs outdoor game next year.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783888)
Never gave me your thoughts on Wings/Avs outdoor game next year.

Sorry, I guess I missed you asking.

Glad the Avs are getting an outdoor game. Colorado will be a great venue for it.

As for the two teams... whatevs. If they're going for the rivalry factor, that's about 10 years too late. I imagine, though, that they'll get a lot of alumni out who were a big part of all that and focus a lot of publicity there.

Will still be a fun game though!

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783900)
Sorry, I guess I missed you asking.

Glad the Avs are getting an outdoor game. Colorado will be a great venue for it.

As for the two teams... whatevs. If they're going for the rivalry factor, that's about 10 years too late. I imagine, though, that they'll get a lot of alumni out who were a big part of all that and focus a lot of publicity there.

Will still be a fun game though!

Yeah it's too late for the rivalry sadly. Do we know if they are doing an alumni game? Even that isn't a real game so...eh. But nostalgic wise it would be cool. But Mac and Lemieux are cool now so no fun there.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783932)
Yeah it's too late for the rivalry sadly. Do we know if they are doing an alumni game? Even that isn't a real game so...eh. But nostalgic wise it would be cool. But Mac and Lemieux are cool now so no fun there.

I was wondering the same thing about an alumni game. Who knows? But yeah, I doubt Ozzie and Patty will drop 'em there.

Yeah dude, I read in Mac's biography that he and Lemieux attend autograph signings and stuff together. That's awesome :lol

bradshaw06 01-23-2015 02:32 PM

I mean, everyone does bitch, even the almighty Toews has been seen complaining to refs.

bradshaw06 01-23-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15783861)
agreed :thumbsup

i would've bet my life that the Pens & Hawks would've met in the finals by now. too bad Disco Dan and the stretch pass fold hard in the playoffs

i think that's the matchup the NHL wants too...would be super entertaining

mostly for non-pens fans to see the melt

my god it would be epic. i made a joke about the almighty toews, truth is he is all class and all worldly.

btw, i loved his response to pierre's question the other night about a pens-hawks rivalry. "err, we don't really see them that often." :lol

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15783937)
my god it would be epic. i made a joke about the almighty toews, truth is he is all class and all worldly.

btw, i loved his response to pierre's question the other night about a pens-hawks rivalry. "err, we don't really see them that often." :lol

:lol:lol

daveshookme 01-23-2015 05:45 PM

Anybody else watching this draft? Not too bad.

~Crashintome89~ 01-23-2015 06:13 PM

Lol kessel traded for seguin.

~Crashintome89~ 01-23-2015 07:00 PM

ovi was drunk. And he was picked third to last, and missed out on a free car.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 10:28 PM

You're not really drunk until you're #ovechkindrunk

AJF_41 01-24-2015 12:00 PM

MN finally gets an outdoor game

Versus Blackhawks, Feb 2016

~Crashintome89~ 01-24-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15784383)
You're not really drunk until you're #ovechkindrunk

or who can forge blackhawk drunk

thechad90000 01-24-2015 03:37 PM

It'd be so cool to see Nashville in an outdoor game but given the small market I don't see it happening anytime soon. I'll settle for next year's All Star festivities though.