Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 10-15-2014 07:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15638064)
what they really need is Hextall to throw the skates and pads back on

He'd just give up blue line shots then....

wampa3 10-15-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15638065)
He'd just give up blue line shots then....

And chase Robbie Brown like a maniac.

pathetic 10-15-2014 07:33 AM

really not looking forward to watching the Bs lose 2-1 or 1-0 tonight.

still bitter about the boychuck trade. i don't think i can remember a time when a GM came out and said what chiarelli did whenhe said the bruins weren't a better team after making the trade. i get they wanted to dump salary and probably wouldn't be able to resign him at the end of the season, but the B's are built to win. gotta hold on to him take your chances.

that being said...defense hasn't been the issue for the bruins. they thought they could fill the 30 goal void left by iggy with 2-3 10 goal scorers.

TMoore4075 10-15-2014 07:37 AM

I'm guessing that's the score tonight. Wings having their own issues putting the puck in the net.

Alazais 10-15-2014 08:16 AM

Leafs are starting to pick up their play Tim. They dominated the play last night against Colorado. Should be a good couple of games here on Friday and Saturday.

TMoore4075 10-15-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15638120)
Leafs are starting to pick up their play Tim. They dominated the play last night against Colorado. Should be a good couple of games here on Friday and Saturday.

I know, I was hoping they'd continue to suck for a nice 2-0 weekend. I'll take a split.

kev87lads 10-15-2014 09:07 AM

Hey all. Been busy. Haven't seen much from around the league yet other than Flyers so I don't want to comment on other teams.

As for the Flyers, pretty typical start. I know I said to myself (and maybe in here a bunch of pages back) that they would be lucky to win 1-2 games in October. And not necessarily because they're a "bad" team. Because I don't think they are. They're just playing teams that are all in the top 15 of the NHL, save one or two. If the Flyers would have played a full 60 in any of their games, they're probably 3-1. 0-2-2 is about right for the effort they've put in so far. Still statistically the worst team ever in the shootout. That continued last night. I think they've lost their last 8 or so when it goes to the skills comp.

Thought they were going to get blown out last night, so it was actually nice to see them mount a comeback, similar to what Montreal did to the Flyers on Saturday. Oh well. It is what it is. They certainly weren't/aren't a Cup contender coming in anyway, just would have liked to see a W in there by now.

MacDonald and Streit signings are terrible in length but were necessary with the young guys not ready yet. And if the Richards/Carter trades are still a discussion topic, I'm not sure why... All of the stuff the Flyers got in return have been solid and have put up more offensively and defensively than what those two have done. Are Cartsy and Richie more leaders in the room? Who knows? Does it suck as a Flyers fan that they've won a couple of Cups as pieces to a well developed team with a bonafide starting tender? Sure. But it doesn't mean Homer made the wrong move there. Homer's problem was hanging on to old guys and giving 100 year contracts.

fonzz41 10-15-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15637940)
Yup..still sticking by this from last season. Wow.

http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...644503&lang=en

This goal was so saucy. Loved it.

PS - You guys, Brock Nelson has scored more goals this year than the Avalanche.

PPS - How did we not talk about John Scott purposefully scoring an actual goal last night?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/jo...this-is-weird/

Underrated signing of the summer?

TMoore4075 10-15-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15638402)
This goal was so saucy. Loved it.

PS - You guys, Brock Nelson has scored more goals this year than the Avalanche.

PPS - How did we not talk about John Scott purposefully scoring an actual goal last night?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/jo...this-is-weird/

Underrated signing of the summer?

Love that headline. "...on purpose."

fonzz41 10-15-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15637754)
What a great win. It awesome to hear those "Let's Go Islanders" chants in MSG. Rangers carried the play through the 2nd before a bad turnover allowed us to tie it up. Player of the game was Halak. In past years, we lose this game but we have a real goalie now and had 20 saves in the 2nd. To put 4 in the 3rd to take it over was just awesome. Bring on the sharks...a good test.

Just watched some highlights of the game. Loved the play where Kulemin steals the puck in front of the net all by himself and still dishes it out to Tavares for the goal. Stuff like that shows what kind of team they are and where their mindset is. Cool to see.

TMoore4075 10-15-2014 12:15 PM

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...ings/17311131/

Not surprised by this after the setback in September. Too bad cause I think he would fit in nicely on the 3rd line and on the PP. Also too bad there were so many injuries last season that the team was never able to be as good as they'd hoped.

salrx95 10-15-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15638408)
Just watched some highlights of the game. Loved the play where Kulemin steals the puck in front of the net all by himself and still dishes it out to Tavares for the goal. Stuff like that shows what kind of team they are and where their mindset is. Cool to see.

At first, when he looked to pass, my immediate thought was "nooooo, too fancy". The camera angle of the game fooled me as little did I know JT was coming off the bench and was so wide open.

Kulemin has been impressive so far and it is all the little things and things that do not appear on a scoresheet that impress me.

JRS1386 10-15-2014 01:34 PM

Agree with what Roose and Lads said but was giving Zilla the benefit of the doubt and hoping he wasn't rehashing the trade of Richards and Carter.

~Crashintome89~ 10-15-2014 04:38 PM

Jake Muzzin, the CORSI God, has re-signed with the Kings for 5 years, $20 mil. Kings gonna be good for a long time. They got guys signing cap friendly deals to keep their core together.

dmbetc 10-15-2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15638832)
Jake Muzzin, the CORSI God, has re-signed with the Kings for 5 years, $20 mil. Kings gonna be good for a long time. They got guys signing cap friendly deals to keep their core together.

The Kings really have a good thing going. The team is built around good values, it's not about the money. It's about the team, the game, and corny as it may sound, it's about the family. The players kids are in the locker rooms all the time, it's a family atmosphere. The players don't want to leave, and it's not (just) because they are winning championships, it's because they care about one another and not just the teammates, the whole organization.

Sutters locker room speech after the final: http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...sole?id=625822

Take care of each other.

~Crashintome89~ 10-15-2014 06:40 PM

Hockey is the greatest.

daveshookme 10-15-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15638933)
Hockey is the greatest.

It really is, on every level. Excitement to watch (and play, but a lot more watch) is unparalleled, almost every player on every level of play has a good head on their shoulders, and it's the only pro league that really hasn't had an issue other than the lockout in the last 20 years. Isolated incidents like that fuck who cold clocked the av player a decade ago are isolated, and the game has realy even cleaned up since then. Stuff like when the avs won the capt. Have the cup to Roy as it was his cup, really. There's always a team atmosphere present. Best sport.

Roose13 10-15-2014 07:37 PM

Watching CHI/CAL. Love hockey with all my little heart.

Roose13 10-15-2014 07:53 PM

OMG Flames were out-shot 50-18 and beat Hawks 2-1. Amazing.

TMoore4075 10-16-2014 03:47 AM

Wings got the point they should have gotten the other night. Didn't play well last night. Howard saved the point late in the third.. Wow. Also wow to Nyquist. Keep it going kid. I also think Weiss might need to get his shot now. They need to find some offense.

swordo84 10-16-2014 05:25 AM

I'll be back if the Oilers ever figure out how to win a game.

TMoore4075 10-16-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15639127)

How do you let a team like the Yotes score 7? Not trying to put down the Coyotes but they just aren't a high scoring team.

pathetic 10-16-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15639105)
Wings got the point they should have gotten the other night. Didn't play well last night. Howard saved the point late in the third.. Wow. Also wow to Nyquist. Keep it going kid. I also think Weiss might need to get his shot now. They need to find some offense.

Hats off to Howard last night. great game to get a point.

hailtopitt 10-16-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15639003)
OMG Flames were out-shot 50-18 and beat Hawks 2-1. Amazing.

:lol:lol

~Crashintome89~ 10-16-2014 06:00 AM

I'm waiting for the inevitable blackhawks melt down in this thread.

swordo84 10-16-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15639129)
How do you let a team like the Yotes score 7? Not trying to put down the Coyotes but they just aren't a high scoring team.

Oy, if I had an answer I'd put in my resume for GM.

The Oilers (d, and 'tending) stink, I don't think there is anything more to it than that.

Time to trade Yak and/or Nuge for some help on the backend. Maybe they can get Brodeur to sign :lol

fonzz41 10-16-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15639127)

Sorry, pal. :hug

It's interesting right now to compare the Oilers and Flames, both because they are in a period of transition and because of their proximity and natural rivalry. The Oilers do indeed have the star power. But the Flames are disciplined, work as hard as any team in the league, and look to have a hot goalie. We're definitely seeing what matters more.

I'm with you on the trade stuff. Like we've talked about before, it would be hard to trade someone like RNH, but he's honestly what's going to give the biggest return right now. Yakupov is totally someone they'd RATHER trade, but no chance they get for him what they could get for RNH.

Going with Scrivens and Fasth is the classic short-sighted approach we've been seeing from the Oilers for a couple years now. Two goalies who, yes, had moments of greatness last year, but are nowhere near battle-tested.

dmbetc 10-16-2014 11:15 AM

:lol:lol the personalization of Carter and Gabbys Stanely Cup Ring? #THXLUMBUS

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=734795

~Crashintome89~ 10-16-2014 11:30 AM

Good God, if that was actually true I would hate Jeff Carter even more.

dmbetc 10-16-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15639788)
Good God, if that was actually true I would hate Jeff Carter even more.

:lol I'd love him if it were really true.