Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 07-09-2014 12:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15471932)
Woooow. Yeah I'll give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rEZiO2wXnU

In exchange you get this! What a steal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=i072WN_GE2M

TMoore4075 07-09-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15472040)
In exchange you get this! What a steal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=i072WN_GE2M

See? Great skater. Got there really fast.

So I'm happy about this:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=725835&cmpid=nhl-twt

Get to look at her more.

~Crashintome89~ 07-09-2014 12:38 PM

these contracts won't be the norm. First of all, these guys took cuts to stay. They would have definitely gotten more on the open market. Second, these are two of the top ten players, maybe even top 5 in the league. They're going to get PAID. Seriously, Ovechkin with 9 million? Sure. But he's not a complete player. Toews definitely is, and Kane is just elite.

lockman21 07-09-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15471946)
so don't the blackhawks need to trade someone now? sharp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15471948)
Have to clear 2mil or so I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15471956)
yeah but looking at the roster it looks like sharp could be the guy to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15472028)
Oh yeah, he makes the most sense. Still has value and free ups more than enough cash.

Don't need to deal Sharp this season, but he could be a draft day trade next offseason when those new deals actually hit the books. That's something to remember, the new cap hits don't actually start until the 2015-16 season.

This year the most likely guys are Rozsival, Leddy, Oduya or Versteeg...or even Bickell.

Seabrook is a candidate too after this season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15472159)
these contracts won't be the norm. First of all, these guys took cuts to stay. They would have definitely gotten more on the open market. Second, these are two of the top ten players, maybe even top 5 in the league. They're going to get PAID. Seriously, Ovechkin with 9 million? Sure. But he's not a complete player. Toews definitely is, and Kane is just elite.

They're going to become the norm quicker than you think. Teams without stars pay those fringe guys to potentially be their stars. Parise, Nash, Kessel, Couture, Neal...as the cap keeps going up, guys are going to start taking higher AAV dollar amounts to keep up with their % of the cap. Guys like James Neal aren't going to stay around the $5 million mark if the cap is $85 million.

UCFish 07-09-2014 02:07 PM

Would Rosival and Versteeg be enough to get under the cap?

I could be ok with that.

lockman21 07-09-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15472457)
Would Rosival and Versteeg be enough to get under the cap?

I could be ok with that.

Work blocks capgeek so I'll have to check when I get home, but yes, I believe so, assuming we demote TT because of Richards.

I think there's a chance we see Roszival and Oduya shipped off before the season begins, not only for cap flexibility, but because Bowman always likes to trade off assets a little early to try and maximize return.

I believe the Hawks feel Johns is ready, and while Clendening seems to be the next version of Morin, they have lots of defensive prospects that are NHL ready.

I'd like to see Clendening with Hammer and Johns with Leddy. Stan believes in Rundblad too, it seems. Another Bowman project.

I don't see Steeg going anywhere this year. His stock is way down, and he's affordable this year if we can ship off Oduya.

Bron Yr Aur 07-09-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15472493)
Work blocks capgeek so I'll have to check when I get home, but yes, I believe so, assuming we demote TT because of Richards.

I think there's a chance we see Roszival and Oduya shipped off before the season begins, not only for cap flexibility, but because Bowman always likes to trade off assets a little early to try and maximize return.

I believe the Hawks feel Johns is ready, and while Clendening seems to be the next version of Morin, they have lots of defensive prospects that are NHL ready.

I'd like to see Clendening with Hammer and Johns with Leddy. Stan believes in Rundblad too, it seems. Another Bowman project.

I don't see Steeg going anywhere this year. His stock is way down, and he's affordable this year if we can ship off Oduya.

Hawks are far deeper at forward in my mind, than defense. Oduya is half of the Hawks' shutdown pairing so I'm not sure if you want to get rid of him if you could find a taker for Versteeg or Bickell.

Problem for the Hawks is that Bickell, Sharp, Seabrook all have no trade clauses. And there's no reason to trade Sharp right now because this year could be the Hawks' best chance to win again.

Like you said, TT will be sent down to Rockford but any injury to an important forward could mean we see a lot of him this season.

rustysurf83 07-09-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15472282)

They're going to become the norm quicker than you think. Teams without stars pay those fringe guys to potentially be their stars. Parise, Nash, Kessel, Couture, Neal...as the cap keeps going up, guys are going to start taking higher AAV dollar amounts to keep up with their % of the cap. Guys like James Neal aren't going to stay around the $5 million mark if the cap is $85 million.

Agree. Cap is going to go way up with the Canadian TV deal and contracts for top 10 players will subsequently balloon. I think 10.5m per looks like a pretty good deal in 2-3 years, if not next year.

TMoore4075 07-09-2014 03:27 PM

Mirtle made a good point earlier. In the NFL the QBs get the big money. In the NBA you get the max guys. The NHL stars get big money but its the mid level guys are the ones making g out like bandits under this system.

lockman21 07-09-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15472537)
Hawks are far deeper at forward in my mind, than defense. Oduya is half of the Hawks' shutdown pairing so I'm not sure if you want to get rid of him if you could find a taker for Versteeg or Bickell.

Problem for the Hawks is that Bickell, Sharp, Seabrook all have no trade clauses. And there's no reason to trade Sharp right now because this year could be the Hawks' best chance to win again.

Like you said, TT will be sent down to Rockford but any injury to an important forward could mean we see a lot of him this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5d5jxJ5vbM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustysurf83 (Post 15472591)
Agree. Cap is going to go way up with the Canadian TV deal and contracts for top 10 players will subsequently balloon. I think 10.5m per looks like a pretty good deal in 2-3 years, if not next year.

Yeah.

Not this season, but next season (2015-16)...they might be a little rough. Remember losing to the Coyotes in the first round? This team will be a lot like those teams. We're gonna have to unload until the Cap is around 80-85 in a couple years. Then these things will be awesome, but that's how long term deals work now a days.

salrx95 07-10-2014 03:51 AM

Congrats Hawks fans on getting your boys locked up.

We'll take Oduya on the Island if you need to dump someone.

TMoore4075 07-10-2014 05:37 AM

So nothing on Schneider's deal. Was waiting for Chris is say something. That's a big contract for a guy who has never won a playoff series. He's good and I'm sure he'll be fine but he's never been the for sure #1 guy in any market and last year was the first year he's played more than half a season.

Also Heatly to the Ducks for a $1mil is worth the gamble.

fonzz41 07-10-2014 08:18 AM

I'm back. If any of you every want to convince yourselves not to have kids, try throwing a birthday party for 5 year-olds. I love mine to death, but good lord.

The Devils are putting a lot of faith in Schneider, but I don't think it's too misplaced yet. I'm interested to see how he plays this year after what he went through last season. I mean, not only was he on a new team and it was his first real season as a starter. But he also had the most winningest goalie ever breathing down his neck. Even if Marty was kind and supportive, that's still a bit of pressure. I'm interested to see how Schneider responds with these changes.

Heatley to the Ducks for $1 million is a great move by them. The guy still has the touch. In the right situation, he can be a great secondary scoring threat. I really like some of the moves they've made this offseason.

TMoore4075 07-10-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15474531)
I'm back. If any of you every want to convince yourselves not to have kids, try throwing a birthday party for 5 year-olds. I love mine to death, but good lord.

Two at once is scary to me.

Also in case you didn't see it from the other day:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15468072)
Matty: @NHLhistorygirl
In 2000, a #RedWings-#Bruins deal reportedly fizzled out when the Wings refused to give up Jiri Fischer for Ray Bourque.

Not a surprise actually. Had to know Wings were in on him at the time too. Glad they didn't give up Fish. Helped them win that Cup in 2002 and giving him for Ray doesn't guarantee them the Cup in either 2000 or 2001, so I take history has it unfolded.

fonzz41 07-10-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15474552)

Yes, I did remember seeing that and chuckled a bit. Ray looked so much better in an Avs sweater than he would've looked in that ghastly red.

I personally am very glad Holland held his ground.

TMoore4075 07-10-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15474565)
Yes, I did remember seeing that and chuckled a bit. Ray looked so much better in an Avs sweater than he would've looked in that ghastly red.

I personally am very glad Holland held his ground.

Worked out for both teams. Both got their Cups.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-10-2014 09:33 AM

really hoping the blue jackets sign lebron.

Bron Yr Aur 07-10-2014 09:53 AM

Cory Schneider deal looks pretty good to me. $6m/yr for a guy who has put up essentially elite numbers in his short career (.925 career sv. % is ridiculously good) and although he's 28, he doesn't have a lot of mileage on him in terms of NHL starts.

This deal is very comparable to the 6-yr @ $6m/yr that Crawford got last year. Crawford had slightly more experience and a Cup, but Schneider has better numbers.

fonzz41 07-10-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15474552)

TWSS
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15474760)
really hoping the blue jackets sign lebron.

Pair him with RM on defense?

I'd love to see the looks on all the players' faces when he gets tapped out there, goes down like a sack of bricks, and lies there crying while he waits for someone to come help him off the ice.

TMoore4075 07-10-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15475013)
TWSS

Pair him with RM on defense?

I'd love to see the looks on all the players' faces when he gets tapped out there, goes down like a sack of bricks, and lies there crying while he waits for someone to come help him off the ice.

Two chicks wouldn't scare me....

So just saw a tweet that the AHL will be doing 7 minute OT next year. 4 of 4on4 and 3 of 3on3. Think it should be 5 minutes each cause 7 minutes is just weird, but curious how it goes and maybe finally the NHL does something.

~Crashintome89~ 07-10-2014 11:14 AM

I'll be honest, I wouldn't know what to do. Too many options/body parts.

I welcome the challenge though.

fonzz41 07-10-2014 11:26 AM

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...on-after-talks

ROR salary talks aren't going well, likely headed to arbitration. Jeebus. I love the kid on the ice, but what a headache this has become over the last couple seasons.

As the article points out at the end, ROR could very well be making more than Jamie Effing Benn after this. That is crazy to me.

kev87lads 07-10-2014 12:06 PM

Like the OT change in the AHL. It's a start in the right direction to lessen SOs. Yes, 3v3 is almost as gimmicky since it probably happens just as often as penalty shots or something like that. But it's a start.

Roose13 07-10-2014 12:15 PM

Covering the Flyers rookies event Trial on the Isle Monday and plan on doing a feature on all the young defensemen in the system. Should be a blast.

salrx95 07-10-2014 03:00 PM

I see the AHL is going with the 3 on 3 OT for next year. Not a fan of it.

lockman21 07-10-2014 09:54 PM

With all this chaos that is the NBA offseason, I just want to say how much I appreciate that the NHL isn't TMZ like the NBA is during the offseason.

TMoore4075 07-11-2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15476650)
With all this chaos that is the NBA offseason, I just want to say how much I appreciate that the NHL isn't TMZ like the NBA is during the offseason.

Agree. They both get an interview window and the NHL guys don't do this shit. I think the NBA guys like it. I mean Stastny had 15 teams on him at one point and still signed on July 1.

unccrombie 07-11-2014 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15476763)
Agree. They both get an interview window and the NHL guys don't do this shit. I think the NBA guys like it. I mean Stastny had 15 teams on him at one point and still signed on July 1.

Lebron knows :lol
I would hold out to watch the WC final too though

barbogast 07-11-2014 05:34 AM

I hate when the NBA guys do this. I can't watch SportsCenter because of it. The NBA in general is just so so awful

bonzo48280 07-11-2014 05:52 AM

People want to watch Sportscenter still?