Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 06-03-2016 01:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16450037)
:: bookmarks this post ::

:lol :lol what can I say, he's a smart guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16450053)
Exactly. Like I was saying, the actual hockey in that movie is completely unmatched by any other hockey film I've seen. If you watch the "making of" stuff on that movie, it's really cool to see how closely they studied footage from the actual games, then how meticulously they rehearsed to make the onscreen action look as close to the real thing as they could.

And I think the non-actors thing helped. Being able to show the actual players' faces playing just makes it more impactful.

I did not know they were actual hockey players and not actors who skated well. That's very cool. I knew the producers studied the game really well and made sure they got it right, but I did think they were actors. That's awesome how they did it. Such a great, great movie. Not surprising it's pretty much the unanimous favorite in here. Awesome film.

TheLastPig 06-03-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16450021)
You are now my new favorite Penns fan. Congratulations

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16450037)
:: bookmarks this post ::

Sig worthy?

Lcsulla 06-03-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16449610)
:lol Yeah, I remember that one too. Great stuff. No idea why Disney didn't include it.

I can only think of 2 good reason's it was not in there:

1)It was a Disney movie.
2) The vast majority of the movie was building the team and the game against Russia so a random swear quote made by the coach during the second intermission of the Finland game probably was not deemed all that important.

hailtopitt 06-03-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16450154)
Sig worthy?

:lol yea you better catch him while he's in a good mood

TheLastPig 06-03-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16450179)

Done and done :lol

fonzz41 06-03-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16450137)
I did not know they were actual hockey players and not actors who skated well. That's very cool. I knew the producers studied the game really well and made sure they got it right, but I did think they were actors. That's awesome how they did it. Such a great, great movie. Not surprising it's pretty much the unanimous favorite in here. Awesome film.

Yeah, they said it would be much easier to teach hockey players to act than the other way around. :lol Although there was a bit of a learning curve as they had to adjust to playing with older equipment. I'd imagine the old-school skates and wooden sticks were the biggest adjustments.

The one exception was the guy who played Jim Craig. But apparently he was a quick study and did a lot of his own stuff. But they did bring in an actual goalie to do some of the more acrobatic stuff.

Fun fact - Buzz Schneider is actually portrayed by his son, Billy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16450156)
I can only think of 2 good reason's it was not in there:

1)It was a Disney movie.
2) The vast majority of the movie was building the team and the game against Russia so a random swear quote made by the coach during the second intermission of the Finland game probably was not deemed all that important.

I was being sarcastic. :) The obvious reason is #1.

barbogast 06-03-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16450154)
Sig worthy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16450179)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16450188)
Done and done :lol

:lol :lol :lol :thumbsup

Glad to have made the sig

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16450205)
Yeah, they said it would be much easier to teach hockey players to act than the other way around. :lol Although there was a bit of a learning curve as they had to adjust to playing with older equipment. I'd imagine the old-school skates and wooden sticks were the biggest adjustments.

The one exception was the guy who played Jim Craig. But apparently he was a quick study and did a lot of his own stuff. But they did bring in an actual goalie to do some of the more acrobatic stuff.

Pretty dope they used time appropriate equipment and everything. The attention to detail was phenomenal. I did know that about Schneider, I remember noticing that during the credits when they have a bubble about what happened to everyone.

And actually now that I think about it, I also knew the guy who played Craig was an actor too. Feel free to make fun, but I actually remember him from his very brief run on Friends :lol

TMoore4075 06-03-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16450292)
And actually now that I think about it, I also knew the guy who played Craig was an actor too. Feel free to make fun, but I actually remember him from his very brief run on Friends :lol

Yep, Tag. God I'm old.

Lcsulla 06-03-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I imagine they had to find guys who actually knew how to play because I imagine hockey is the most difficult sport to teach an actor. Basically if you cannot skate or stickhandle a puck it just won't work - that is not even mentioning things like shooting, skating backwards, stopping, bracing for a check, etc, etc. Look at how many baseball movies you see where the actor's throw like girls. No way you are going to teach the fundamentals of hockey to someone who has never played (and perhaps never skated) in a few months - there is no crash course to teach hockey skills.

As for sticks, skates and equipment I agree that was probably a tough switch for some of the guys. I started out with a Sherwood wooden stick, then moved to a POS Graf wooden one that snapped halfway through one game, then I switched to those old red Titan Turbo sticks for a while before settling into loving the purple koho fiberglass ones with the toe hook on the blade - finally broke down and snagged an Christian aluminum one that I still have. I started out with cheap skates then as I got a bit older I moved to those old Bauer plastic skates with the moving ankle piece and removable inside (Turbo's I think were the model) until after about a year or so in HS when a slap shot smashed the plastic that held the blade and I finally bought a nice pair of Graf skates that I still use to this day. As for padding, I always used CCM, Bauer or Koho equipment, whichever was most comfortable and light.

Nice tip on Schneider, I did not know that!

Quote:

I was being sarcastic. :) The obvious reason is #1.

Just busting your chops a bit, I figured you knew the story behind the quote but a lot of people likely assume that statement was made during the famous miracle on ice game.

JRS1386 06-03-2016 06:19 PM

When Baby Bombay clanks it off the iron my heart breaks a little then they show Coach McDouchebag and I'm ok with him hitting the post

barbogast 06-04-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16450326)
Yep, Tag. God I'm old.

His name was Tag? I don't remember it that well. I remember he was Rachel's assistant for like 5 episodes and she had a thing for him. Also something about a pink or red sweater I'm pretty sure.

Just glad I'm not the only in here who watched that show :lol

salrx95 06-04-2016 09:27 AM

Speaking of movies, I watched Mystery Alaska for first time in a long time last Saturday. Solid watch.

TheLastPig 06-04-2016 09:48 AM

Game 3 tonight. Let's get it!!!

Dramageek 06-04-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16450864)
Game 3 tonight. Let's get it!!!

Yes! Keep the foot on the gas! Finish line is in sight.

lockman21 06-04-2016 03:56 PM

Non-NHL talk...it's fuckin depressing trying to play hockey here in the south. Moved to Texas about 5 weeks ago, and every drop-in/rat session I go to is hit or miss. I've been to ones where it's me and one other guy, and some where there's 16 or so skaters. Every rat hockey in Chicago we had to turn away guys. Shit, most ended up as invite only because ice was in such high demand. Here? Can't fucking find anyone to play.

Roose13 06-04-2016 05:19 PM

Come on Sharks

Roose13 06-04-2016 05:36 PM

I am so sad right now.

~Crashintome89~ 06-04-2016 07:01 PM

sharks are toast.

Tiduwho 06-04-2016 07:36 PM

Penguins are such scum

bartender_man 06-04-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16451220)
sharks are toast.

Not just yet....

lockman21 06-04-2016 11:26 PM

Let's go Sharks! What a game!

fonzz41 06-05-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16451108)
Non-NHL talk...it's fuckin depressing trying to play hockey here in the south. Moved to Texas about 5 weeks ago, and every drop-in/rat session I go to is hit or miss. I've been to ones where it's me and one other guy, and some where there's 16 or so skaters. Every rat hockey in Chicago we had to turn away guys. Shit, most ended up as invite only because ice was in such high demand. Here? Can't fucking find anyone to play.

Sorry man :(. A teammate of mine was just down there for a tournament and his criticism was how bad the ice sucked at all the arenas he played at. Maybe the humidity? Anyways, I have not been hearing very good reviews about Texas hockey this week!

Like I said on FB, make your way up here and there's a Don Cherry sweater just waiting for you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16451320)
Let's go Sharks! What a game!

Awesome game. Sharks rose to the task, while still not dominating. They definitely has to work for every chance they got. Great hockey all around.

Glad to see SJ has abandoned the idea of trying to outspeed the Pens and are getting back to what they are good at.

Roose13 06-05-2016 07:02 AM

Thank God

TheLastPig 06-05-2016 08:14 AM

Pens did not play great last night and still almost stole that one. That game does that worry me.

A few thoughts:

2ND goal Murray let in was soft. The other two, I don't know how anyone faults him.

What's more frustrate about that second goal is that penalty should've never been 4 mins. I'm still not convinced Thornton was even bleeding, and what makes it worse is Bonino's stick skid up off of Thornton's into his cheek, if he's wearing a visor, no chance that's a 4 min penalty.

Also, that ice was embarrassingly bad last night. How the NHL allows that to happen in a finals series is a joke. I thought they send a guy to each game to keep everything in check?

lockman21 06-05-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16451324)
Sorry man :(. A teammate of mine was just down there for a tournament and his criticism was how bad the ice sucked at all the arenas he played at. Maybe the humidity? Anyways, I have not been hearing very good reviews about Texas hockey this week!

Like I said on FB, make your way up here and there's a Don Cherry sweater just waiting for you.

Oh man, the ice is awful.

Last night's rat ended up with 8 skaters and 4 goalies (weird), so we just went 3 on 3 half ice with one sub each. Have a nice bruise the size of a small dinner plate on my inner thigh from blocking a shot....

dmbetc 06-05-2016 10:17 AM

http://allsportsintheworld.com/2016/...-onto-the-ice/

:lol:lol last line is the best

Dramageek 06-05-2016 07:41 PM

The Mighty Ducks is on this fine evening. I had to miss the beginning due to Game of Thrones, but I promptly tuned in after. An observation: in the game in which the Ducks clinch a playoff berth, the opposing team played the worst defense in the history of hockey at any level. Their slowest guy strips the puck from Fulton Reed, only to get his pocket picked by Reed, who only just learned how to skate. They then give him about 10 seconds to set up his shot, line up to block said shot, then jump out of the way when they realize their error. Totally unacceptable! :lol

JRS1386 06-05-2016 08:18 PM

"After dying, Burns missed two shifts and then returned to the ice." Oh my :lol

JRS1386 06-05-2016 08:19 PM

"After dying, Burns missed two shifts and then returned to the ice." Oh my :lol

salrx95 06-06-2016 03:49 AM

Joel Ward showing why I wanted islanders to sign him. He shows up this time of year.

bartender_man 06-06-2016 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16451915)
Joel Ward showing why I wanted islanders to sign him. He shows up this time of year.

Love that guy :thumbsup

barbogast 06-06-2016 06:35 AM

Joel Ward was easily the most difficult departure in a while. Nothing to not love about him

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16451388)
Pens did not play great last night and still almost stole that one. That game does that worry me.

A few thoughts:

2ND goal Murray let in was soft. The other two, I don't know how anyone faults him.

What's more frustrate about that second goal is that penalty should've never been 4 mins. I'm still not convinced Thornton was even bleeding, and what makes it worse is Bonino's stick skid up off of Thornton's into his cheek, if he's wearing a visor, no chance that's a 4 min penalty.

Also, that ice was embarrassingly bad last night. How the NHL allows that to happen in a finals series is a joke. I thought they send a guy to each game to keep everything in check?

:thumbsup:thumbsup all of this

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452099)
:thumbsup:thumbsup all of this

I think theyre gonna be more prepared for poor ice conditions tonight, Ian Cole even said so after game 3.

I did learn this morning there was a concert at the SAP Center on Friday night so that probably affected the ice negatively. So hopefully tonight is at least a little better. That slop only benefits SJ.

Lcsulla 06-06-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16451324)
Glad to see SJ has abandoned the idea of trying to outspeed the Pens and are getting back to what they are good at.

Yeah, that is how they can conceivably win this series.

Quote:

Agreed on both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16451915)

Yeah, he is locked in right now and when you are peaking like that the goal looks huge so you tee up and shoot. Been there in both soccer and hockey where it seems like you can net one from almost anywhere - it is similar to when a batter is dialed in and hitting great, the ball seems to expand and look easier to hit.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 07:37 AM

Officiating again? On a clear-cut (if perhaps strange) rule that if there's blood, it's an additional minor? I guarantee that if that had happened to a Penns player, he's got blood on his face, and the refs DIDN'T call the double minor, Penns fans would be upset. And justifiably so, because whether it's a good rule or not, it's one of the few in the NHL that's pretty cut and dry.

Actual hockey talk: What a phenomenal playoffs Ben Lovejoy is having. Also, Olli Maatta is gradually returning to form and actually had a great Game 3. Good for him. Pens fourth line? Perfect. Exactly what you want from a fourth line.

On the Sharks end, looks like they're finally giving up on trying to match the speed of the Penns and focusing on amping up the physicality to neutralize it. Good plan. Also, Vlasic has been steady freddie in doing about all one can do against Crosby. He and Braun are the Sharks best D-pair right now.

Both goalies are their teams' biggest question mark right now, and that IMO makes it all the more exciting.

Also - Ward clipping his finger nails after he scored the goal. :lol

Great hockey being played.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

I thought the Penns had a really good Game 3, just didn't get the win. They certainly made the Sharks work for every inch of ice. :thumbsup

jrkarger 06-06-2016 07:43 AM

I thought that as bad of a penalty as it was to take, Bonino clearly hit him and he was clearly bleeding. NBC showed him by the bench with blood dripping down his cheek.

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452136)
Officiating again? On a clear-cut (if perhaps strange) rule that if there's blood, it's an additional minor? I guarantee that if that had happened to a Penns player, he's got blood on his face, and the refs DIDN'T call the double minor, Penns fans would be upset. And justifiably so, because whether it's a good rule or not, it's one of the few in the NHL that's pretty cut and dry.

Actual hockey talk: What a phenomenal playoffs Ben Lovejoy is having. Also, Olli Maatta is gradually returning to form and actually had a great Game 3. Good for him. Pens fourth line? Perfect. Exactly what you want from a fourth line.

On the Sharks end, looks like they're finally giving up on trying to match the speed of the Penns and focusing on amping up the physicality to neutralize it. Good plan. Also, Vlasic has been steady freddie in doing about all one can do against Crosby. He and Braun are the Sharks best D-pair right now.

Both goalies are their teams' biggest question mark right now, and that IMO makes it all the more exciting.

Also - Ward clipping his finger nails after he scored the goal. :lol

Great hockey being played.

Not complaining about the officiating, to me it didnt look like there was blood, if there was, its an obvious call. The way they have been letting so much go, I was surprised it was 4 mins. Circumstances of it were just frustrating the way bonino's stick slid up, and knowing if he had a visor he definitely wouldnt have been cut, so it wouldve been 2 mins.

Point was almost null and void if it wasnt for Ward's goal with seconds left in the PP.

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452152)
I thought that as bad of a penalty as it was to take, Bonino clearly hit him and he was clearly bleeding. NBC showed him by the bench with blood dripping down his cheek.

Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise. Especially with the way Sullivan was laughing at it, seemed like he was convinced there was no blood either.

jrkarger 06-06-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16452160)
Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise.

Yeah. It opened up by the time he got to the bench.

EDIT: We aren't talking Ric Flair PPV blood here, but it was there unfortunately.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16452160)
Must have missed that, All I saw was the slight dot on his cheek which looked more like a bruise. Especially with the way Sullivan was laughing at it, seemed like he was convinced there was no blood either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452164)

EDIT: We aren't talking Ric Flair PPV blood here, but it was there unfortunately.

Yeah, I can see that. If I was Sullivan - a former player - I'd roll my eyes too. It was pretty small. But, blood is blood. Just think, in 10 years when everyone is wearing visors, this will be a non-issue.

I was reading in some hockey book by a former player (Sean Pronger maybe?), about how when he'd get hit in the face, he'd put his hand over it like one does when hit in the face, but all the while furiously biting his lip to get it to bleed so he could get the extra minor. I bet that happens more than we think. :lol

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452198)
Yeah, I can see that. If I was Sullivan - a former player - I'd roll my eyes too. It was pretty small. But, blood is blood. Just think, in 10 years when everyone is wearing visors, this will be a non-issue.

I was reading in some hockey book by a former player (Sean Pronger maybe?), about how when he'd get hit in the face, he'd put his hand over it like one does when hit in the face, but all the while furiously biting his lip to get it to bleed so he could get the extra minor. I bet that happens more than we think. :lol

i don't even think it'll take 10 years for everyone to have visors, will it? it got grandfathered in a while back now

and yea, i'm sure guys bite their lips all the time if the infraction itself doesn't draw blood. i'd do the same thing

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452207)
i don't even think it'll take 10 years for everyone to have visors, will it? it got grandfathered in a while back now

and yea, i'm sure guys bite their lips all the time if the infraction itself doesn't draw blood. i'd do the same thing

You're probably right. I don't know, was just throwing out a number.

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16452164)

Maybe we are talking Ric Flair! Did anyone check his gloves? I think he bladed.

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Its funny how there can be such a vast difference between a 3-1 series and a 2-2 one.

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452234)
You're probably right. I don't know, was just throwing out a number.

i honestly don't know. just feels like that rule has been around for a while. i rarely see guys without visors anymore

here are some quick numbers. percent of players with visors by season:

2011-12: 68%
2012-13: 73%

as of november 2015: 89&

those are huge jumps from year to year...and the whole thing about not wearing a visor (besides preference on peripheral vision) is that you are a "fighter" and don't want it to get in the way. well, the fighter is going the way of the Dodo (although too slowly for my liking) which means more visors are popping up

cool article where i got these numbers from:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/v...y-rare-sight2/

Roose13 06-06-2016 08:30 AM

Metallica to play the national anthem before Game 4. Fuck yea!

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:32 AM

but Fonz, you might be right. there's still a 23-year-old who is visorless playing for the Panthers. so if he stays on an NHL roster throughout his prime years, it may be a decade or more until ALL players have visors...but we're going to crack 95% by the end of next year

fonzz41 06-06-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452278)
but Fonz, you might be right. there's still a 23-year-old who is visorless playing for the Panthers. so if he stays on an NHL roster throughout his prime years, it may be a decade or more until ALL players have visors...but we're going to crack 95% by the end of next year

Thanks for the stats. I knew the year over year adoption of visors was pretty dramatic, but those numbers are telling.

I finally went to one this year and FWIW, it only took about 2 periods to get used to it. Obviously I'm not a player and not quite as particular about what works for me. But even so, not that big a deal. You're also right about the correlation between more visors and decreased fighting/fighters.

hailtopitt 06-06-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452292)
Thanks for the stats. I knew the year over year adoption of visors was pretty dramatic, but those numbers are telling.

I finally went to one this year and FWIW, it only took about 2 periods to get used to it. Obviously I'm not a player and not quite as particular about what works for me. But even so, not that big a deal. You're also right about the correlation between more visors and decreased fighting/fighters.

now, i've never played competitive ice hockey, but it was hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want a visor. i get the whole peripheral vision thing, i do, but isn't keeping an eye more important?

i've always been very skeezed out byt things near my eyes. i hate it. and a stick to the eye sounds like the worst thing in the world

plus, i remember reading somewhere about how Oakley has made great strides (in football, hockey & skiing especially) with visor technology

i'll try to find the article but basically it said that Oakley visors are dimming arena and stadium lights while still making the field of play bright and clear and offering eye protection. good stuff

unccrombie 06-06-2016 08:47 AM

I'd be all for on ice glare reduction

Roose13 06-06-2016 08:49 AM

I've never really had an opinion on the visor thing in the past as a player (mainly because I was a goalie) but I lean more toward it being a necessity, especially after seeing Chris Pronger's career end the way it did.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16452305)
now, i've never played competitive ice hockey, but it was hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want a visor. i get the whole peripheral vision thing, i do, but isn't keeping an eye more important?

i've always been very skeezed out byt things near my eyes. i hate it. and a stick to the eye sounds like the worst thing in the world

plus, i remember reading somewhere about how Oakley has made great strides (in football, hockey & skiing especially) with visor technology

i'll try to find the article but basically it said that Oakley visors are dimming arena and stadium lights while still making the field of play bright and clear and offering eye protection. good stuff

Quick clarifying point. In my post I said I wasn't a player. Meant to say "pro" player.

And yeah, the reason I started wearing one was "why not"? It can only protect me, and with minimal intrusion. Mrs. Fonzz has been bugging me for years to get one, and she's right for doing so. Haven't stuck one on my red helmet yet, but that's only because I have one and it's on my playing helmet.

Cool to hear the technology has come so far.

TMoore4075 06-06-2016 01:04 PM

So since only have the offseason to look forward to, Radulov is supposedly wanting 7.5mil per year.....no thanks. Not that I wanted him before but Matty, your team can have him.

Dreger also was saying, looks like Wings should be able to move Datsyuk's contract but will have to include something with it...duh. one was you'd have to include Jurco or Pulkkinen. If you could guarantee me Stamkos then I'd give up one of those guys to move Pavel's contract but if you can't get a big UFA or trade asset here, I wouldn't give one of those guys up. It's one year at 7.5mil for Pavel and if you can't get any high-end talent this offseason, then no reason to rid yourself of the cap hi.

fonzz41 06-06-2016 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16452798)
So since only have the offseason to look forward to, Radulov is supposedly wanting 7.5mil per year.....no thanks. Not that I wanted him before but Matty, your team can have him.

Signing him for that kind of money (actually, signing him, period) would displease me greatly. There's just so many other needs. If he were willing to take a one year bridge deal to see how it works out, then I might sing a different song.

But at the same time, can't blame him and his agent for wanting to capitalize on a non-thrifty NHL that's handing out contracts like that.

TMoore4075 06-06-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452827)
Signing him for that kind of money (actually, signing him, period) would displease me greatly. There's just so many other needs. If he were willing to take a one year bridge deal to see how it works out, then I might sing a different song.

But at the same time, can't blame him and his agent for wanting to capitalize on a non-thrifty NHL that's handing out contracts like that.

The first rumors were 4-5mil on a one year deal for the Wings. Still wasn't crazy about that but much more livable. One year at 7.5? No way and two years is for sure no. I understand going for it but dang dude, setting your sights high I guess.

barbogast 06-06-2016 01:28 PM

Radulov thinks he's a 7.5 million guy?? :lol :lol wow

I predict that experiment will fail. I hope he lands nowhere near my team. You guys can have him

barbogast 06-06-2016 03:31 PM

http://i.giphy.com/xT8qBaHxqi1AhoOPg4.gif

Dramageek 06-06-2016 04:02 PM

James Hetfield being awkwardly interviewed on NHL Live is gold!

Dramageek 06-06-2016 05:35 PM

Ian Cole?! Ian Cole! Big assist by Uncle Phil.

Dramageek 06-06-2016 07:58 PM

Once again a little too exciting at the end. But what a pretty goal by Eric Fehr! I love love love this team! Much resilient! Very score! Holy shit they're one win away!!! :bounce

bradshaw06 06-06-2016 08:00 PM

I feel i have lost ten years of my life this series.

1 more to go.

bradshaw06 06-06-2016 08:00 PM

I feel i have lost ten years of my life this series.

1 more to go.

UCFish 06-06-2016 08:01 PM

What a wild 3rd period. That was great hockey.

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:03 PM

Lord Stanley's Cup will be in the Steel City on Thursday!!! Looks like the Pens have found the way to drain the water out of the Shark Tank. Great win.

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:03 PM

Lord Stanley's Cup will be in the Steel City on Thursday!!! Looks like the Pens have found the way to drain the water out of the Shark Tank. Great win.

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:06 PM

BeyondKnight 06-06-2016 08:09 PM

bradshaw06 06-06-2016 08:15 PM

You can say that again!

Dramageek 06-06-2016 08:24 PM

Lord Stanley's Cup will be in the steel city on Thursday!!

This would be accurate if Jamie Benn was a center idiot! :lol

Ants so buggy!

Lcsulla 06-06-2016 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16452198)
But, blood is blood. Just think, in 10 years when everyone is wearing visors, this will be a non-issue.

Visor is not going to change this all that much IMO unless they all move to full masks. Lot of these guys, they wear visors that go down to about the tips of their nose but offer no protection of the cheek, mouth or jaw. Also, sticks do odd things when the blade gets under a visor, they tend to break the skin more often because they guy with the stick is pulling back and the blade has nowhere to go and it ends up cutting him anyway.

Also, I do not believe that not having a visor necessarily means you are a fighter or something, I never wore one - not because I fought but because I liked the extra peripheral vision. Lastly, the players should be checked by the refs for existing injuries before the game because so many of them have scabs and just stroke their gloves against the healing injury to open it up again and get the double minor - in fact I think they should be penalized if caught doing something like that.

Oh - and fuck the Penguins.

TheLastPig 06-06-2016 08:37 PM

Thanks Caps/Barbs for Eric Fehr!

Dramageek 06-06-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16453299)
Visor is not going to change this all that much IMO unless they all move to full masks. Lot of these guys, they wear visors that go down to about the tips of their nose but offer no protection of the cheek, mouth or jaw. Also, sticks do odd things when the blade gets under a visor, they tend to break the skin more often because they guy with the stick is pulling back and the blade has nowhere to go and it ends up cutting him anyway.

Also, I do not believe that not having a visor necessarily means you are a fighter or something, I never wore one - not because I fought but because I liked the extra peripheral vision. Lastly, the players should be checked by the refs for existing injuries before the game because so many of them have scabs and just stroke their gloves against the healing injury to open it up again and get the double minor - in fact I think they should be penalized if caught doing something like that.

Oh - and fuck the Penguins.

I post this with sincerity and respect :lol

https://youtu.be/odMSq0WJ1GM

JRS1386 06-06-2016 09:13 PM

Fucking Sharks

fonzz41 06-06-2016 09:39 PM

Yep. Gotta think the Cup is presented Thursday night. Will be interesting to see how the Sharks okay on the brink of elimination, but the Penns are just so perfect right now.

dmbetc 06-06-2016 09:52 PM

Not much sweeter than a Sharks defeat.

dmbetc 06-06-2016 09:53 PM

My little heart will be so happy if they get so close they can taste it, but it gets lifted in front of their eyes by the opposing team.

bartender_man 06-06-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16453345)
Not much sweeter than a Sharks defeat.

Only thing sweeter is a Kings defeat

barbogast 06-07-2016 03:56 AM

Fuck hockey

barbogast 06-07-2016 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16453304)
Thanks Caps/Barbs for Eric Fehr!

Of course it was fucking Eric Fehr

Roose13 06-07-2016 05:18 AM

When I saw that 17 of 27 NHL.com "experts" said the Sharks would win the Cup, I laughed. This is exactly why. I knew it coming in.

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 05:19 AM

I think the Pens need to win game 5 or it goes to 7.

barbogast 06-07-2016 05:29 AM

Ugh it's gonna be a shit show in here when the Penns win the Cup. Dammit

barbogast 06-07-2016 05:32 AM

On the positive side me and the kid just had an early morning dance party to Ants Marching from the Bernie thing yesterday. So the world is still awesome!

jrkarger 06-07-2016 05:32 AM

Good to see Malkin finally light the lamp.

jrkarger 06-07-2016 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16453452)
Ugh it's gonna be a shit show in here when the Penns win the Cup. Dammit

Get that brandy ready and meet me in the school yard baby for ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the marbles thursday night in Pittsburgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 05:53 AM

I'm just happy that means we're closer to the offseason.....it's the little things in life.

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16453458)
Get that brandy ready and meet me in the school yard baby for ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the marbles thursday night in Pittsburgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

You've got another celebration coming up don't you? Isn't the anniversary around now?

jrkarger 06-07-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16453482)
You've got another celebration coming up don't you? Isn't the anniversary around now?

Yeah! June 15.

Same night as game 7. Let's hope it doesn't come to that :lol

Lcsulla 06-07-2016 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16453307)
I post this with sincerity and respect :lol

https://youtu.be/odMSq0WJ1GM

:lol I would be typing the same if the situation was reversed and you were saying that about Chicago.

I am just pretty stunned at how well Pittsburgh is playing, before this series started I thought the Sharks were playing the best hockey in the league and I assumed they would exploit the hell out of the Pens D - never really worked out that way though. Pens have shut down the Shark attack and been on a possession tear and cashing in at the most perfect times, now they are up 3-1 and that is quite a hole to climb out of just to force a game 7, let alone win the cup.

barbogast 06-07-2016 06:57 AM

Can't the Kings and Hawks just go back to taking turns winning it? This Pittsburg business is the worst

dmbmuskie 06-07-2016 07:21 AM

Pens!!!!!!

Dramageek 06-07-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16453566)
:lol I would be typing the same if the situation was reversed and you were saying that about Chicago.

I am just pretty stunned at how well Pittsburgh is playing, before this series started I thought the Sharks were playing the best hockey in the league and I assumed they would exploit the hell out of the Pens D - never really worked out that way though. Pens have shut down the Shark attack and been on a possession tear and cashing in at the most perfect times, now they are up 3-1 and that is quite a hole to climb out of just to force a game 7, let alone win the cup.

:lol Indeed. Though I like the Hawks, and admire (and even envy) their success.

I'm not the best hockey analyst, but there's something that has been very noticeable. While the Pens are certainly built on speed, puck possession and offense (having one of the best offenses in the league since Christmas), their defense has flown under the radar.

I understand why. Outside of Letang, you look at their defense pairings and go "who?!" But the whole team has been chipping in to prevent pucks from going in. And they have been absolutely stellar at preventing other team's top scorers from lighting the lamp.

Ovechkin lit it up against Philly, but was much quieter against the Pens. Oshie had a couple of good games, but that's it. Kucherov had 9-10 goals going into the ECF, but only had a couple of goals until the end of the series.

The Sharks were playing outstanding hockey coming into this series, but they also have encountered the buzzsaw. Paveslki had 13 goals coming into the SCF. Zero goals so far. Couture had 24 points coming in, and only has two assists. Brent Burns had 20 points coming in, and he has zero goals and only two assists in Game 1. Pens have fully committed to shutting down the top talent, and it's working for the most part. I will say that Hertl and Donskoi have really impressed, and it sucks for Hertl that he went down (though I'm not complaining too much!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16453587)
Can't the Kings and Hawks just go back to taking turns winning it? This Pittsburg business is the worst

It really isn't. Just close your eyes, suck it up and think of the President's Trophy. It will be over soon. :)

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:37 AM

its ok all you Pens haters. If the Pens win the cup there will be asterisk because Crosby cheats on faceoffs

jrkarger 06-07-2016 07:39 AM

I thought they were really effed without Daley. But, Lovejoy, Cole, and Maatta have really stepped it up. Cole and Lovejoy have each had goals in the last two games. Yikes!

TMoore4075 06-07-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16453652)
its ok all you Pens haters. If the Pens win the cup there will be asterisk because Crosby cheats on faceoffs

No the asterisk will be that his beard is shit compared to Thornton and Burns. Well to be honest, everyone's is shit compared to those two guys.

jrkarger 06-07-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Pavelski was 14 of 19 on faceoffs last night.

The refs really need to crack down on all of this cheating.

Dramageek 06-07-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16453659)
No the asterisk will be that his beard is shit compared to Thornton and Burns. Well to be honest, everyone's is shit compared to those two guys.

Their beards are majestic and they look like a Game of Thrones episode.

hailtopitt 06-07-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16453659)

maybe that's why the Sharks look so slow. they're carrying to much face weight

Lcsulla 06-07-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16453640)
:lol Indeed. Though I like the Hawks, and admire (and even envy) their success.

I'm not the best hockey analyst, but there's something that has been very noticeable. While the Pens are certainly built on speed, puck possession and offense (having one of the best offenses in the league since Christmas), their defense has flown under the radar.

I understand why. Outside of Letang, you look at their defense pairings and go "who?!" But the whole team has been chipping in to prevent pucks from going in. And they have been absolutely stellar at preventing other team's top scorers from lighting the lamp.

Ovechkin lit it up against Philly, but was much quieter against the Pens. Oshie had a couple of good games, but that's it. Kucherov had 9-10 goals going into the ECF, but only had a couple of goals until the end of the series.

The Sharks were playing outstanding hockey coming into this series, but they also have encountered the buzzsaw. Paveslki had 13 goals coming into the SCF. Zero goals so far. Couture had 24 points coming in, and only has two assists. Brent Burns had 20 points coming in, and he has zero goals and only two assists in Game 1. Pens have fully committed to shutting down the top talent, and it's working for the most part. I will say that Hertl and Donskoi have really impressed, and it sucks for Hertl that he went down (though I'm not complaining too much!)

Yeah, their ability to shut down lanes and block shots has amazed me, they are doing almost everything right on D and when they do goof something up Murray bails them out. The Pens are just a fun team to watch because they are playing so damn good right now. I have nothing against the players, it is just that as a former Whalers fan I never want Pittsburgh or Philly to win because they tormented my team for 2 decades!

Quote:

He certainly should, then of course you have to go back and update the record books to put an asterisks next every center who has won a cup because they all do it - Crosby is just better than most at timing his swipes.