Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-24-2016 01:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16312639)
Matty, ugly jersey game is Saturday! You ready?

I am SO much more excited for the alumni game than I am for the actual game itself.

I mean, I know we're not going to see sparks fly or anything like that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a joke of it. I'm just excited to see all those guys back on the ice together.

c33dmb 02-24-2016 03:35 PM

Yeah, someone mentioned it above, but the singular way to describe the way the Canes aren't dead last is how scrappy they are. I honestly believe I'm their good luck charm, my friends are all huge Canes fans, and they took me to my second game (I hadn't been to one since I was probably 10 or 11, I've been to about 15 this season so far) in late October.

Then, we were in dead last except for Columbus. They've honestly done really well in terms of results since I started going.

Now, performances is another issue. Each and every Canes game is kinda like holding on for dear life and hoping we don't get blown away. I will say our young defensive talent is AMAZING. I really enjoyed my first few games because Justin Faulk absolutely dazzled me with how easy he made the game look, so he became my jersey guy/favorite player and all that stuff, but our defensive unit is honestly insane to watch.

What I personally think the team should do is dump off most of the big offensive names minus Jordan Staal that have any value, namely Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. Coming into my first few games, I was told that these were the two marquee guys and I'm honestly really unimpressed. Eric has largely been absent. I think he loves the team but he just doesn't ever pop up in positions to score or make plays, and when he does, he's a half step too slow to finish the job. Skinner, while scoring a lot, is weak as hell, turns the puck over incessantly and most of his goals only come from how well he positions himself for quick shots or rebounds.

The team should use the windfall to lock down what they have on defense. Namely, Justin Faulk needs to be in Carolina for life. The man looks like he's bored half the time and dominates. Almost as important, Noah Hanifin, Jaccob Slavin (referred to lovingly as "Mini-Faulk") and Brett Pesce, all rookies, need to be locked down as well. The fact that rookies make up half the defense is ridiculous. But what's even more ridiculous is the defense is the only reason we ever win (unless a team comes and completely shits a brick like the Islanders did a couple weeks back). Our offense rarely scores more than 2 but we win more often than not recently...

Finally, I do kinda agree that the Canes probably wouldn't exist if they hadn't won in '06 (side note, the 10th anniversary of the Cup celebration was this past weekend, and it was weird as shit. When they were passing the Cup around to Brind'Amour and the rest of the alumni that came back, I honestly felt like I was at a cult meeting...). The vast majority of people I see there are older people, mostly wearing some sort of jersey with a Cup patch on it. Interest is extremely low (tons of empty seats), especially among younger people. The fact that there are 3 major universities within a 30 minute drive and they have to sell student tickets for $10 is, while awesome for my friends and I, hugely problematic on an organizational level. Which leads me to think that after (hopefully) tying down Faulk and our three rookies they will have the clout to go make an offensive splash somehow.

I don't know enough about hockey to make a really informed suggestion, but from being tired of watching Eric and Skinner get bullied on our first line, I lean towards hoping we get an elite power forward. At least someone that can really handle the puck under pressure. The two guys that have impressed me most just from watching in person are Phil Kessel and Bo Horvat from Vancouver, mostly because he scored two very nice solo goals in a 3rd period against us to change the result from a 2-1 win to a 3-2 loss.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 06:24 AM

Caps fans, what do you think Holtby being pulled and then throwing the tantrum he did?

Also the selfish side of me liked the loss cause now they'll have to go 19-4 to beat the Wings record of 62 wins. That would be quite impressive if they do.

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313427)
Caps fans, what do you think Holtby being pulled and then throwing the tantrum he did?

Also the selfish side of me liked the loss cause now they'll have to go 19-4 to beat the Wings record of 62 wins. That would be quite impressive if they do.

Holtby is a really good goalie but he's a big baby

any sign of instability in the playoffs and it could be a blood-in-the-water type scenario. seems like he can be rattled

then again it's only one game. what the fuck do i know?

unccrombie 02-25-2016 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16313504)

any sign of instability in the playoffs and it could be a blood-in-the-water type scenario. seems like he can be rattled

you know garage league, man
you know it well :lol

agreed though

edit: the funny thing is the caps give Grooby the loss :lol

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

I didn't watch the game but it seemed more of a "wake the fuck up" type move, not putting it on Holtby. Sometimes that's what wakes your team up.

His reaction was very Patrick Roy.

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16313523)
you know garage league, man
you know it well :lol

agreed though

edit: the funny thing is the caps give Grooby the loss :lol

well, it's not the Caps that gave him the loss...it's a lot like pitchers in baseball...Grooby gave up the GWG which is why he technically gets the loss

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313554)
I didn't watch the game but it seemed more of a "wake the fuck up" type move, not putting it on Holtby. Sometimes that's what wakes your team up.

:lol that's about the only thing those guys have in common

unccrombie 02-25-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16313560)
well, it's not the Caps that gave him the loss...it's a lot like pitchers in baseball...Grooby gave up the GWG which is why he technically gets the loss

:lol that's about the only thing those guys have in common

well yeah, i mean the caps came back to that point.
the irony

kev87lads 02-25-2016 07:19 AM

Some cool stories in here. All kind of the same, but I like these kinds of things:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...und-was-traded

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16313576)
well yeah, i mean the caps came back to that point.
the irony

yea i get what you're saying

luckily (for the Caps) they have such a big cushion in the East that it really doesn't matter from a points perspective

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16313584)
Some cool stories in here. All kind of the same, but I like these kinds of things:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14...und-was-traded

:lol oh my god those old Canucks sweaters :lol

putting those next to, say, the away Blackhawks sweater, is like putting a pre-schooler's finger painting next to a Picasso

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

I honestly wasn't aware he threw a tantrum. I wasn't watching the game very closely at that point, I was cooking dinner. In a honesty though Holtby's play has dipped over the past few weeks. It's been noticeable. Last night wasn't really on him though. Trotz has pulled him more than once this year as a wake up call to the team.

Quote:

I don't really think he's a baby. Actually I think he's got a pretty good ability to shake off a bad night or bad goal and play really well the next time out.

Any instability in the playoffs will rattle the whole team, not just Braden

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

I honestly wasn't aware he threw a tantrum. I wasn't watching the game very closely at that point, I was cooking dinner. In a honesty though Holtby's play has dipped over the past few weeks. It's been noticeable. Last night wasn't really on him though. Trotz has pulled him more than once this year as a wake up call to the team.

Quote:

I don't really think he's a baby. Actually I think he's got a pretty good ability to shake off a bad night or bad goal and play really well the next time out.

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 07:41 AM

ok barbs we heard you!!

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:44 AM

:lol what the fuck happened

it's a good thing I make such great points all the time. Extra emphasis is clearly deserved

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16313669)
:lol what the fuck happened

it's a good thing I make such great points all the time. Extra emphasis is clearly deserved

:lol

i guess "baby" was a strong word. i just think there's a fine line between being ultra competitive and being immature

i think his behavior last night was on the immature side

and yes, instability in the playoffs will affect the whole team, but it all starts with your goalie. he's gotta be your rock.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 07:48 AM

I was in another thread and it happened to me. Had the same thing posted 3 times.

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:51 AM

I'm gonna have to look into what happened last night exactly. I knew he had been pulled but like I said I wasn't really paying close attention.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313554)

Oh man, you did not want to be even close to Patrick Roy if he got pulled.

It wasn't even that he was mad at the coach or anything when it would happen. Just ultra competitive and feeling like he hadn't played to his own standards. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what was going on with Holtby.

Of course, I have only watched one little clip. I did not read interviews or anything like that.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16313773)
Oh man, you did not want to be even close to Patrick Roy if he got pulled.

It wasn't even that he was mad at the coach or anything when it would happen. Just ultra competitive and feeling like he hadn't played to his own standards.

There was that one time where he was pulled to get a timeout, since they had already used their actual timeout, and he killed a tv.

Ready for ugly jersey game on Saturday?

fonzz41 02-25-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313783)
There was that one time where he was pulled to get a timeout, since they had already used their actual timeout, and he killed a tv.

Ready for ugly jersey game on Saturday?

TVs, equipment, furniture, his wife.... Patrick hit it all.

Like I said before, way more excited for the alumni game than I am the actual game. Can't wait to see my favorite players limping around out there. :lol

Speaking of favorite players, check out the alumni roster. It's like a dream come true for an Avs fan... even if the players are all approaching 50. :lol
Craig Billington
Rob Blake
Ray Bourque
Adam Deadmarsh
Adam Foote
Peter Forsberg
Milan Hejduk
Dan Hinote
Valeri Kamensky
Mike Keane
Jon Klemm
Claude Lemieux
Curtis Leschyshyn
Eric Messier
Sandis Ozolinsh
Shjon Podein
Mike Ricci
Patrick Roy
Joe Sakic
Chris Simon
Stephane Yelle

The Red Wings have some greats on their roster as well. Will be a fun night, if anything just for the nostalgia factor.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 08:34 AM

Loved this picture:

https://www.facebook.com/CompleteHoc...type=3&theater

fonzz41 02-25-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313821)

:lol That's great. Also great: the commenters who think Dino (and Patrick and Peter by extension) were being serious.

SirBobalew 02-25-2016 08:56 AM

Yeah I think Holts was more mad at himself than anything else. His play the past few games isn't what it had been. I'd like to see Grubauer start two of the next four to give Holts a bit of a rest. Start Grubauer tomorrow and then either Tuesday or Wednesday.

~Crashintome89~ 02-25-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16313849)
:lol That's great. Also great: the commenters who think Dino (and Patrick and Peter by extension) were being serious.

I hope they are. It kills me that Lemieux and McCarty actually talk.

Although Draper apparently ran into Claude last year or something, but nothing of the hit was talked about.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16313849)

That's the internet for you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16313863)
I hope they are. It kills me that Lemieux and McCarty actually talk.

Although Draper apparently ran into Claude last year or something, but nothing of the hit was talked about.

Well it's been 20 years. Time to move on. Not that I don't enjoy watching Mac pound on Claude's head every March 26th, but it's time to move on.

lockman21 02-25-2016 09:40 AM

I'd love a bench brawl during an alumni game :lol

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16313943)

"McCarty tries for a right...oh he threw his back out."

kev87lads 02-25-2016 10:35 AM

The alumni game is by far the better event of the weekend when your team is involved. May I feel differently if the Flyers would have actually won one of the outdoor games? Maybe. But seeing those Flyers "greats" was pretty awesome.

Those Wings and Avs rosters are stacked. Is the game going to be on NHL Network? Day/Time?

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16314038)
The alumni game is by far the better event of the weekend when your team is involved. May I feel differently if the Flyers would have actually won one of the outdoor games? Maybe. But seeing those Flyers "greats" was pretty awesome.

Those Wings and Avs rosters are stacked. Is the game going to be on NHL Network? Day/Time?

It's Friday on the local Fox Sports affiliate here but does look like the NHL Network will have it on Friday at 7pm est too.

I've only had one alumni game as when the Wings and Hawks played, we didn't have these yet. This one will be more interesting to me cause the Wings and Avs aren't rivals anymore and are in different conferences. 2 years ago, Wings and Leafs were both fighting for a playoff spot so the game actually meant something. The game only means something in terms of getting points. Neither loses a slot in the standings because of it.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16313943)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16313990)
"McCarty tries for a right...oh he threw his back out."

:lol Yeah. As much fun as this would be, I think the last thing any of these old-timers want to do is get pummeled.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16314038)

At first it was only being broadcast on the local Colorado and Detroit channels. A lot of people complained about that, and now I'm seeing some places saying it will be on NHL Network. That would be awesome. It's at 5pm MST.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the day. It's tomorrow.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 11:21 AM

Here's the finalized rosters for both teams:

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=870474

Kinda disappointed the Wings weren't able to get Vernon or Osgood. ;)

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16314171)
Here's the finalized rosters for both teams:

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=870474

Kinda disappointed the Wings weren't able to get Vernon or Osgood. ;)

Surprised no Ozzie but just looked it up, he's actually having surgery for something soon so...that would be why there.

Stacy Roest? Are you kidding me? They had so many guys wanting to be in the Wings/Leafs game they needed 2 games and the Wings/Avs one we get a guy who played like 3 seasons and had nothing to do with the rivalry. Ty Conklin is also one but I guess with no Vernon or Ozzie..or Hasek for that matter.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314189)
Surprised no Ozzie but just looked it up, he's actually having surgery for something soon so...that would be why there.

Stacy Roest? Are you kidding me? They had so many guys wanting to be in the Wings/Leafs game they needed 2 games and the Wings/Avs one we get a guy who played like 3 seasons and had nothing to do with the rivalry. Ty Conklin is also one but I guess with no Vernon or Ozzie..or Hasek for that matter.

Yeah, they kinda had to scrape the bottom of the barrel a bit there.

With the two games thing, I think for this game they are only looking for guys who played during the "rivalry" period. With a team as storied as the Wings, that limits their pool quite a bit.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 11:33 AM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/pe...-outdoor-game/

Mrazek's pads and a glimpse of his mask.

barbogast 02-25-2016 11:34 AM

Feels like there is significantly more hype for this alumni game than there has been for any of the others

fonzz41 02-25-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314204)
Feels like there is significantly more hype for this alumni game than there has been for any of the others

I think it's because it deals with a specific time period (not just pulling from any era) when both teams had a significant number of HOF-ers on the roster. Combined with the very bad blood that existed back then, you can see why there's maybe a little more hype.

Will it live up to some of the expectations some people have for it? Certainly no. But at least for me, it will be a fun walk down memory lane to see guys like Foote and Bourque patrolling the blue line together again.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 11:37 AM

You always expected some crazy shit every time they'd play. Late in the rivalry, the violence went away (not the physicality though) and it was just intense hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-lywxDT7_w

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:06 PM

So, Ilya Kovalchuk, anyone?

Has this whole situation even been brought up in here yet? If you don't feel like googling, basically he's in the doghouse with his KHL club, who's coach (one Sergei Zubov) has benched him for several playoff games now and has apparently stripped his captaincy as well. Ilya, obviously, is none too pleased.

So now today word comes out he's threatening that if he doesn't play in the next game he will immediately terminate his contract with the K (which runs through the end of next season) and return to North America to play in the N.

Obviously it's not that easy. First, there's the legal side of breaking that contract and what it would mean for NHL owners and GMs. None of that is very clear, at least from what I can find, but surely it's not as simple as Ilya saying "see ya" and flying away. There's repercussions. Secondly, since he's officially signed NHL retirement papers, there would have to be a unanimous 30 team vote to allow him back in next season. Have to think that's not happening. He COULD, however, sit out of pro hockey completely (at any and all levels) for an entire season next year, and then NHL teams are allowed to sign him as a free agent in spite of the retirement thing. But he must take an entire year off, again, not sure how likely that is either.

So clearly it's complicated. Would you even want him on your team? There's no doubt dude can still play. I also don't remember him as a lazy or bad team guy while he was in the NHL, in fact I remember quite the opposite. But this isn't the best terms to come back on either. Who's to say he won't flip flop right back, even if he jumps through all the necessary hoops to return to the NHL?

A return doesn't really seem eminent, but it's an interesting story none the less. He's still only 32. There's good hockey years left in him.

Could all be just a ploy to get himself back in his KHL lineup, and he really isn't interested in returning at all.

A couple links in case your google is broken

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...return-to-nhl/

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-t...-return-to-na/

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:13 PM

Yeah he'd have to come back to the Devils too wouldn't he? I doubt the other GMs would allow it right now with the Devils right in the playoff picture. In the offseason? What would they care?

dmbetc 02-25-2016 12:16 PM

What a drama queen

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314286)
Yeah he'd have to come back to the Devils too wouldn't he? I doubt the other GMs would allow it right now with the Devils right in the playoff picture. In the offseason? What would they care?

Not so sure that's the case. Sounds like if he obtains the 30 team approval he's a UFA. I think.

It's stupid complicated. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Would the Devils even want him back? Clearly there was hurt feelings when what went down 3 years ago went down. That said, it's not like NJ couldn't use the offense.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 12:20 PM

In those two reports Barbs linked I couldn't see why exactly they benched him and stripped his captaincy. Seems a dramatic move for a just a poor performance (seems more average performance). Has there been any more information on why this happened? If it's just a performance thing, suck it up and put your frustrations out on the ice. Show that you are worth fighting for. I have no respect for a professional, in any business, whining to get what they want.

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314288)
What a drama queen

It's weird because it's hard to know exactly what is happening between him and his Russian team and why, but I tend to agree with you. Drama has followed him for several years now

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314295)
In those two reports Barbs linked I couldn't see why exactly they benched him and stripped his captaincy. Seems a dramatic move for a just a poor performance (seems more average performance). Has there been any more information on why this happened? If it's just a performance thing, suck it up and put your frustrations out on the ice. Show that you are worth fighting for. I have no respect for a professional, in any business, winning to get what they want.

I fee like I saw something on some site that said he was benched initially for a rules violation, but I also saw it could be performance related on a team level and his benching is supposed to be a wake up call to the whole team. Statistically this hasnt been a particularly strong year for him.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314299)
I fee like I saw something on some site that said he was benched initially for a rules violation, but I also saw it could be performance related on a team level and his benching is supposed to be a wake up call to the whole team. Statistically this hasnt been a particularly strong year for him.

from one of the reports: "Earlier in the week, Kovalchuk was benched following a poor performance in Game 1 of St. Petersburg’s playoff series against Lokomotiv. The team reportedly also informed Kovalchuk he would be a scratch in Game 3 and Game 4 of the series as well. The 32-year-old led SKA to its first Gagarin Cup in 2015 and took home playoff MVP honours but his performance dipped this season. He finished 12th in league scoring (16 goals, 33 assists) but had a minus rating for the first time in his KHL career."

Taking him out of all those games during the playoffs seems big to send a message. I can see 1 game. Sounds like there's more to it than not having a strong year. He finished 12th in the league, it's not like he was at the bottom. But Russia is pretty nuts with hockey so....

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314291)
Not so sure that's the case. Sounds like if he obtains the 30 team approval he's a UFA. I think.

It's stupid complicated. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Would the Devils even want him back? Clearly there was hurt feelings when what went down 3 years ago went down. That said, it's not like NJ couldn't use the offense.

Well that is a given.

hailtopitt 02-25-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314307)
Well that is a given.

:lol:lol

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:30 PM

I forget where I saw it was a rules violation. There's so many conflicting stories. And Russia really is nuts with hockey. It'll be interesting to see if anymore comes of this. I wasn't in here quite as often as I am now back when left so I don't remember how guys felt, but I remember thinking to myself this likely wasn't the absolute end of his NHL career.

One thing I do agree with: the NHL is offense starved and he's still a truly elite offensive talent, so it's not like the on ice product couldn't use a little Ilya Kovalchuk.

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314307)
Well that is a given.

Was wondering which one of you was gonna make this joke

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:31 PM

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ily...bylaw-loophole

This makes it sound like 30 votes is for UFA but he might be able to sign back with the Devils.

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314314)

This makes it sound like 30 votes is for UFA but he might be able to sign back with the Devils.

Wow. Again, would the Devils want him? They could certainly use him. You're a pretty good cap guy, could they fit him?

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314318)
Wow. Again, would the Devils want him? They could certainly use him. You're a pretty good cap guy, could they fit him?

Well, according to this:

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-jersey-devils

They could take on a total cap hit of 38mil so I'll go with yes. No matter what he signed for, it would be prorated. So he signs for $10mil and there would be 21 games left, his cap hit would be something like 2.5mil for the rest of this season. I do not want this to happen as the Devils are right there around the Wings for one of the wild card spots.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 12:42 PM

I would be skeptical if I were the Devils front office..remember the Devils taking penalties because of Kovalchuk's contract when he signed with them? Then a few years later he ditches them for "family"? To me it just seems like a lot of potential trouble.

I put my money on him not returning to the NHL.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314318)

As for if they'd want him, I dunno. The bad blood there with all of that has to be something. But if you can have him back down the stretch and it could mean playoffs vs not playoffs? Tough one.

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16314314)

The other interesting thing I learned from this article is the K is in financial trouble. That's an important bit I think, and I wasn't aware of that. If we factor in selfish financial motivations for Ilya, now how do we feel about having him on our team?

I just don't know about this guy. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near mine.

barbogast 02-25-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16314323)
I would be skeptical if I were the Devils front office..remember the Devils taking penalties because of Kovalchuk's contract when he signed with them? Then a few years later he ditches them for "family"? To me it just seems like a lot of potential trouble.

I put my money on him not returning to the NHL.

And this can't be ignored. Not by any team, not just the Devils.

TMoore4075 02-25-2016 12:52 PM

That whole situation it was like he was trying to hit up every cliche/stereotype of the selfish Russian player.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16314334)
The other interesting thing I learned from this article is the K is in financial trouble. That's an important bit I think, and I wasn't aware of that. If we factor in selfish financial motivations for Ilya, now how do we feel about having him on our team?

I just don't know about this guy. I'm not sure I'd want him anywhere near mine.

He left the team for money before, why wouldn't he do it again?

Can you tell I don't like him? Must be the Rangers blood in me!

lockman21 02-25-2016 12:55 PM

con·tract
a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable
b : a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract>

Kovy be like.........nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fonzz41 02-25-2016 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314348)
con·tract
a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable
b : a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services at a fixed price <make parts on contract>

Kovy be like.........nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My thoughts exactly as I've been following this little saga.

He signs a mega contract with the Devils (that ends up getting them in trouble), and he skips out on it not even like halfway into it. At the time, he said it was for family and I believed him. Now? eh....

Because here he is, a few years into the KHL and threatening to come BACK to the NHL. Ha!

I remember chatting about this here when it was all going down, and we laughed at the prospect of all 30 GMs banding together just for this one time to block Kovy from coming back. :lol

But in the end, if he wants to come back eventually, there will be teams that will sign him. His drama-ness outshines just how big of an offensive weapon he is. He's big, has a wrist shot on par with Ovie's, is remarkably slick for his size, and has some of the softest mitts you'll see in hockey today. He's not the perfect player, but he'd be an asset to quite a few teams.

kev87lads 02-25-2016 03:42 PM

Devils also have a new hockey front office since he left. So who knows?!?!

Lcsulla 02-25-2016 04:56 PM

Andrew Ladd traded back to Chicago, Jets paying over 36% of his remaining contract so no cup hit. No details yet, just saw it breaking on the NHL network.

lockman21 02-25-2016 05:01 PM

Dano, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd (3rd goes to the Jets if the Hawks win the Cup this year...lol ok, gladly)

I fuckin' love it. Welcome back Ladd!

UCFish 02-25-2016 05:01 PM

Yes!!!!!!!

That makes me happy.

Lcsulla 02-25-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314688)
Dano, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd (3rd goes to the Jets if the Hawks win the Cup this year...lol ok, gladly)

Yeah, just saw that - though CSN is reporting Dano and 2 Prospects. Nice damn move!!!!!!

fonzz41 02-25-2016 05:11 PM

Good trade for both clubs. The Jets got more than I thought they would.

Now that Ladd has moved and established a bar, moves leading up to Monday could start coming quickly!

DMBZeppelin 02-25-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16314688)

Amazing deal, but a steep price that's more than worth it if you win the cup.

Are Fraser and Harrison worth anything? They are coming back with Ladd.

fonzz41 02-25-2016 05:21 PM

Like Lebrun just said on Twitter, Arizona is probably loving this move, knowing that they can get at least a first for Boeddker

BotheLaneFan 02-25-2016 05:38 PM

Bow down to the king.

dmbetc 02-25-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bothebradyfan (Post 16314747)
bow down to the kings.

fyp.......

BotheLaneFan 02-25-2016 05:47 PM

Wrong. You didn't make my post anything but utter garbage. I hope you stub your toe.

JRS1386 02-25-2016 06:56 PM

Not sure how I feel about the trade. Seems steep but the Jets keeping some money on the deal is a nice bump

Lcsulla 02-25-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16314704)
Amazing deal, but a steep price that's more than worth it if you win the cup.

Not all that steep a price IMO, especially since Winnipeg is eating over a third of Ladd's salary. Not bad for a rental come crunch time. Also like how Ladd plays physical up top like Shaw. Now you look at the Hawks lines when Hossa Returns

Ladd/Toews/Hossa
Panarin/Anisimov/Kane
Shaw/Desjardins/Teravainen
Rasmussen/Panik/Mashinter - Slot Kruger in the 4 line center when he comes back as well.

Q switches it up a lot so don't quote me on anything but the first two lines! :lol

Not sure about Fraser and Harrison, both are headed to Rockford.

JRS1386 02-25-2016 07:25 PM

Holy fucking tits, Neuvy

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14847663

barbogast 02-25-2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16314846)

:lol I love the reaction from the Wild players. Awesome

JRS1386 02-25-2016 08:01 PM

I love the way Neuvy gets up like fuck you all im a boss

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 06:05 AM

Wow, bad night for the Central when the three top teams all loose. Nashville and Colorado are right back in the mix now. Hopefully Ladd will fit right in and CHI can beat CO on Sunday and pick up 2 points.

Roose13 02-26-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16314846)

What a fucking save. They should honestly just role with him as the starter this year from here on out. I wouldn't be shocked if they try to trade Mason with Stolarz looking close to being NHL ready.

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 06:17 AM

Great night for my Wings though. Canes, Devils and Sens who are on their tail, lost. I'll take all the help I can get. Wings need to take care of their own business now. Battle of the fugliness on Saturday.

fonzz41 02-26-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315029)
Wow, bad night for the Central when the three top teams all loose. Nashville and Colorado are right back in the mix now. Hopefully Ladd will fit right in and CHI can beat CO on Sunday and pick up 2 points.

Unless STL loses out and COL/NAS go on a tear, I think the top 3 in the Central are pretty set. Especially with only 20 games left. Might be some shuffling of the order of those top 3, but I don't think the Preds and Avs are going to overtake one of them.

I used to at least want the Avs to get into the 1st Wild Card spot rather than the second, but if Dallas can hold on to that top spot in the West, I'd kinda almost prefer the Avs stayed at #8. I'd much rather face the Stars in the first round than the Kings.

hailtopitt 02-26-2016 07:45 AM

Penguins just locked up Olli Maata to a 6 year/$24.5 million extension

love this signing. really happy for Olli too. he earned it :thumbsup

hailtopitt 02-26-2016 07:47 AM

Penguins just locked up Olli Maata to a 6 year/$24.5 million extension

love this signing. really happy for Olli too. he earned it :thumbsup

fonzz41 02-26-2016 07:52 AM

Reading those headlines of Foote saying he wants to punch Draper in the face, I thought for sure he was joking. But then I went and listened to the interview, and he sounds halfway serious. :lol

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...game&id=573701

fonzz41 02-26-2016 08:00 AM

Reading those headlines of Foote saying he wants to punch Draper in the face, I thought for sure he was joking. But then I went and listened to the interview, and he sounds halfway serious. :lol Not like he's going to go out looking for someone to hit, but the guys asked him who he would punch in the face on the Wings if he had to pick one, and he gave an honest answer.

lockman21 02-26-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16315264)
Reading those headlines of Foote saying he wants to punch Draper in the face, I thought for sure he was joking. But then I went and listened to the interview, and he sounds halfway serious. :lol Not like he's going to go out looking for someone to hit, but the guys asked him who he would punch in the face on the Wings if he had to pick one, and he gave an honest answer.

:lol I was just gonna post that for you.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16315145)
Unless STL loses out and COL/NAS go on a tear, I think the top 3 in the Central are pretty set. Especially with only 20 games left. Might be some shuffling of the order of those top 3, but I don't think the Preds and Avs are going to overtake one of them.

I agree with this, gonna be a shuffle for the top slot. Be a fun 20 games. Being a complete homer I want the Hawks to overtake the top slot so they play a lesser ranked WC team. Truthfully, it would not surprise me if the Central got 2 WC slots!

barbogast 02-26-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315393)
I agree with this, gonna be a shuffle for the top slot. Be a fun 20 games. Being a complete homer I want the Hawks to overtake the top slot so they play a lesser ranked WC team. Truthfully, it would not surprise me if the Central got 2 WC slots!

It would surprise if they didn't. The pacific is terrible.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16314704)

I could see Harrison slotting up on the third defensive pairing to give the first two D pairs some needed time off. Fraser is a little tricky, he should see some ice time on the 3rd of 4th line because he is a pretty good player who would have more points if Winnipeg didn't suck! :lol

If anyone gets injured I would expect to see both of them get more ice time as well.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16315507)
It would surprise if they didn't. The pacific is terrible.

Well, yeah there is that, outside of LA, Anaheim and San Jose they are pretty bad!

fonzz41 02-26-2016 10:09 AM

Yep, Foote and Draper looking pretty pissed at each other:
https://twitter.com/adater/status/703277066871910400

Or maybe it's one of those smile-on-the-outside-for-appearances things, when really, they're muttering under their breath to each other.

Draper: "I heard what you said about me, ass hole. I'd love to see you try."
Foote: <chuckles> "Yeah, just wait."

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 10:30 AM

Draper is probably still pretty fast. He'll fly by Foote and his nose.

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 10:37 AM

Tomorrow the 20 year anniversary of Gretzky traded to the Blues. So weird to think of him as a Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkOZtJxyD0

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16315616)
Tomorrow the 20 year anniversary of Gretzky traded to the Blues. So weird to think of him as a Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkOZtJxyD0

No idea how that team didn't advance very far. Top line of Gretzky, Hull and Brendan Shanahan with Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger backing them up along with Grant Fuhr in net. Not all that much depth but still, those guys ALL knew how to get it done.

Edmonton reached out to Chicago per ESPN offering 25 years old D man Justin Shultz for prospects and a draft pick or 2. Depending on cap space that would be a nice addition.

~Crashintome89~ 02-26-2016 11:01 AM

looks like chicago wants some lower d Depth. They were interested in Hamhuis but that's cooled.

TMoore4075 02-26-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315652)
No idea how that team didn't advance very far. Top line of Gretzky, Hull and Brendan Shanahan with Al MacInnis and Pronger backing them up along with Fuhr in net. Not all that much depth but still, those guys ALL knew how to get it done.

Edmonton reached out to Chicago per ESPN offering 25 years old D man Justin Shultz for prospects and a draft pick or 2. Depending on cap space that would be a nice addition.

Shanny wasn't there but yeah good team. I would say cause of no Grant Fuhr but Jon Casey was amazing for them. Ran into a better Red Wings team and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwr4dyu8-o

As for Justin Schultz, he'd be a little reclamation project for whoever, but a team like Chicago, or any better and more successful team, is where he needs to go.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16315662)
looks like chicago wants some lower d Depth. They were interested in Hamhuis but that's cooled.

Yeah, they don't necessarily need it as bad as some other teams but adding another guy would be nice if they can swing it without a big cap hit. Rozi has been playing great lately, Keith and Seabrook are stars, TVR is getting better with each game, Svedberg is starting to make an impact while Hjalmarsson keeps growing and blocking every damn shot in sight, not to mention they have Gustafsson to slot in almost anywhere. They don't really need another D man but I would not complain if they added a young guy like Shultz.

lockman21 02-26-2016 11:14 AM

This is gettin crazy AND I LIKE IT

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16315677)
Shanny wasn't there but yeah good team. I would say cause of no Grant Fuhr but Jon Casey was amazing for them. Ran into a better Red Wings team and then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwr4dyu8-o

As for Justin Schultz, he'd be a little reclamation project for whoever, but a team like Chicago, or any better and more successful team, is where he needs to go.

You are right, my bad. I forgot they traded Shanahan to Hartford during the offseason. Fuhr started 79 games for them and won 30 so it wasn't really until the playoffs that Casey stood out.

Completely agree on Shulz, Chicago would be a great fit with guys like Keith and Seabrook mentoring and helping him along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16315688)
This is gettin crazy AND I LIKE IT

Makes two of us!

mr.MikeD 02-26-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16315652)
No idea how that team didn't advance very far. Top line of Gretzky, Hull and Brendan Shanahan with Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger backing them up along with Grant Fuhr in net. Not all that much depth but still, those guys ALL knew how to get it done.

If you like always-out-of-position defensemen, you couldn't ask for a better deal.
Watch though, he's going to be a star when he leaves here.

Lcsulla 02-26-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 16315783)
If you like always-out-of-position defensemen, you couldn't ask for a better deal.
Watch though, he's going to be a star when he leaves here.

I am not that familiar with his play to be honest but out of position guys who make mental mistakes drive me insane. It is even worse with the Hawks due to Crawford's occasional brain farts!