Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 01-28-2016 12:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272678)
I'm gonna order a Chinese Scott All-Star jersey because extra fuck the NHL.

I don't want them to get money from my purchase. Counterfeit it is.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9uoYC7cjcU6w8/giphy.gif

TMoore4075 01-28-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272678)
I'm gonna order a Chinese Scott All-Star jersey because extra fuck the NHL.

I don't want them to get money from my purchase. Counterfeit it is.

Got a link for that?

~Crashintome89~ 01-28-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16272544)
This'll be a top seller.

It already is.

At least the jersey shirt is sold out.

I understand the argument not to buy the shirt or the jersey, but I actually think the opposite. I think people spending their money on a Scott jersey rather than a Kane, Toews, or Giroux one is just another middle finger to the league.

I also think that whatever fan voting conception that the NHL rolls out next year, the fans should still just vote in John Scott.

lockman21 01-28-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16272719)
Got a link for that?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men-s...e-a67e2cceda04

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-...e-a67e2cceda04

This is all they have so far. I'll see if they have an actual one with Scott on it, if not I'll just order the fake blank and take it to my local hockey shop to have Scott put on the back.

The PERFECT pond hockey sweater.

TMoore4075 01-28-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16272726)
It already is.

I understand the argument not to buy the shirt or the jersey, but I actually think the opposite. I think people spending their money on a Scott jersey rather than a Kane, Toews, or Giroux one is just another middle finger to the league.

I also think that whatever fan voting conception that the NHL rolls out next year, the fans should still just vote in John Scott.

While I get your point out buying it from the NHL, they won't care, they'll be making money.

For the voting, i'm guessing there won't be any write-in options. They'll give you certain options and that's it.

TMoore4075 01-28-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272731)

This is all they have so far. I'll see if they have an actual one with Scott on it, if not I'll just order the fake blank and take it to my local hockey shop to have Scott put on the back.

Sizes run the same as the official ones?

efraser77 01-28-2016 01:09 PM

Hi all, long time no post. A couple of things:

1) John Scott article was great. If the NHL gave a shit about his family they would not have uprooted them like that.

2) I' really surprised the consensus is so strongly that Wideman hit the linesman on purpose. I don't think it's so clear cut. Have you guys really studied the video? Bucci point it out: watch his feet. Those feet are not doing a "I'm gonna hit this guy" thing. They are doing a "Oh shit I gotta get out of the way" thing.

IMO if anyone should be suspended, it's whoever cleared him to finish the game. He was clearly out of it and should not have returned to the ice.

TMoore4075 01-28-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16272735)
Hi all, long time no post. A couple of things:

1) John Scott article was great. If the NHL gave a shit about his family they would not have uprooted them like that.

2) I' really surprised the consensus is so strongly that Wideman hit the linesman on purpose. I don't think it's so clear cut. Have you guys really studied the video? Bucci point it out: watch his feet. Those feet are not doing a "I'm gonna hit this guy" thing. They are doing a "Oh shit I gotta get out of the way" thing.

IMO if anyone should be suspended, it's whoever cleared him to finish the game. He was clearly out of it and should not have returned to the ice.

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-d-wideman-s...esman-1.430044

Well he's suspended indefinitely but that just makes sure he doesn't play before they can get a hearing in after the all-star game but I think he gets 10 games.

Oh also go read this:
http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-a-former...ident-1.429965

I'm with Kerry on this one. The follow through at the end is where I don't buy it.

efraser77 01-28-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16272751)
http://www.tsn.ca/flames-d-wideman-s...esman-1.430044

Well he's suspended indefinitely but that just makes sure he doesn't play before they can get a hearing in after the all-star game but I think he gets 10 games.

As you said, it's "indefinite" because they're not going to have a hearing yet, and obviously a hearing is necessary, but I just don't think it's so cut-and-dried that it was intentional.

TMoore4075 01-28-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16272757)
As you said, it's "indefinite" because they're not going to have a hearing yet, and obviously a hearing is necessary, but I just don't think it's so cut-and-dried that it was intentional.

I edited my post. If you haven't read Fraser's article on this one, you should. He sees it as accidental from the start but doesn't see how Wideman couldn't lessen the blow.

lockman21 01-28-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16272726)
It already is.

1) Why would it be a middle finger to the league? They're still collecting revenue from every sale. They probably love it to an extent. There have been countless companies that used PR nightmares for their own financial gain, this would be no exception. 6 months from now, it will be in the rear-view of 95% of people, and the NHL will be the one with thousands of extra dollars due to these sales.

2) I'm guessing the NHL takes care of that possibility. They'll pick everyone we can vote for ahead of time.

efraser77 01-28-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16272778)
I edited my post. If you haven't read Fraser's article on this one, you should. He sees it as accidental from the start but doesn't see how Wideman couldn't lessen the blow.

I like Fraser, had more than one Twitter interaction since we have the same last name (I told him how I used to go to the Shark tank and have 17,000 people chanting that I suck :lol) but I don't agree with his theory. It either was on purpose or it wasn't. Kerry tries to do a balancing act on it, saying he didn't really mean to, but did deliberately push him. I think Wideman was so out of it he really didn't have any idea what was going on, he was just trying to get to the bench.

Lcsulla 01-28-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272731)

Am I the only one who thinks the jersey's are busted ass ugly. I would never wear one in any environment. When I lace up I have enough jersey's that I do not need another - Hartford Gordie Howe, Hartford Kevin Dineen, Hartford Brendan Shanahan, Hartford Ron Francis, Edmonton Gretzky, St. Louis Brett Hull, Chicago red Kane, Chicago Red Keith, Chicago Red Roenick, Chicago white Toews, a team Canada one and even an old ass CCCP olympic jersey. I know it sounds like a lot but growing up playing I needed jersey's to go over my pads and the bonus is that they all still fit just fine because even the older ones had to go over the pads!

salrx95 01-28-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16272595)
His little girl wearing his Sharks jersey and the tutu...hilarious and cute.

I liked that, too.

Glad to see NHL acted swiftly on Wideman.

Hope Scott scores legitimately and not a "set up".

salrx95 01-28-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16272757)

I disagree. I've never been on ice skates but he clearly accelerated quickly right before the cross check. I think he was pissed there was no call on the hit, was skating off angrily, saw the ref and reacted last second to take his anger out on him.

efraser77 01-28-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16272828)
I disagree. I've never been on ice skates but he clearly accelerated quickly right before the cross check. I think he was pissed there was no call on the hit, was skating off angrily, saw the ref and reacted last second to take his anger out on him.

No he didn't. He didn't take another stride between the blue line and the spot the collision happened, which was almost at the red line. His skates did what my skates do when a little kid cuts in front of me on the rink.

dmbetc 01-28-2016 02:03 PM

Wideman may have been dazed or what have you but I am not buying that he didn't know exactly what he was doing. He doesn't even look behind him after the hit, just skates right to the bench. Did he acknowledge and apologize during the game? I just saw a few seconds after the hit where he doesn't seem to think it was an issue.

I don't think he accelerated and skated into it. He was more gliding at the time. The only thing I can think is that maybe he thought it was a Preds player.

I mean, if you knock down a ref like that, at least catch his attention and apologize (maybe he did later). But split screen at the end of this video he is clearly trying not to look out to ice level. Looks like someone upset he didn't get a call.
https://youtu.be/Nj4PoDrqv-E

efraser77 01-28-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16272906)
Wideman may have been dazed or what have you but I am not buying that he didn't know exactly what he was doing. He doesn't even look behind him after the hit, just skates right to the bench. Did he acknowledge and apologize during the game? I just saw a few seconds after the hit where he doesn't seem to think it was an issue.

I don't think he accelerated and skated into it. He was more gliding at the time. The only thing I can think is that maybe he thought it was a Preds player.

I mean, if you knock down a ref like that, at least catch his attention and apologize (maybe he did later). But split screen at the end of this video he is clearly trying not to look out to ice level. Looks like someone upset he didn't get a call.

He claims that he did apologize to him during the game. And again after.

salrx95 01-28-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16272834)
No he didn't. He didn't take another stride between the blue line and the spot the collision happened, which was almost at the red line. His skates did what my skates do when a little kid cuts in front of me on the rink.

The clip from behind shows a quicker stride or thrust and then the cross check. Like I said, I've never been on skates but to my eye, his speed changed. Regardless of that point, it was intentional.

barbogast 01-28-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16272906)

The bolded is kinda what I've been thinking the whole time. Either way it looks like he intentionally checked whoever he thought it was, and whether that's a player or ref that's a bad looking hit.

lockman21 01-28-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16272834)

Except after your skates do that, you don't cross check the kid.

efraser77 01-28-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272960)

:lol Hopefully anyway.

barbogast 01-28-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16272960)

Yeah this is where I have a problem as well. Bumping into the man is one thing, putting your stick in a cross checking position and then following through, that's intentional.

efraser77 01-28-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16272931)
The clip from behind shows a quicker stride or thrust and then the cross check. Like I said, I've never been on skates but to my eye, his speed changed. Regardless of that point, it was intentional.

I'm not sure what you're watching. What I see is him gliding on his left skate until he's almost on the linesman, when he puts down his right skate and abruptly shifts them both toes to the right to try to stop.

fonzz41 01-28-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16271963)
Wild will probably be the 8th seed though I could see Avs giving them a run if Varly continues his stellar play. But the Avs lines need to start contributing and clicking. Not sure why you split up Landy-Mackinnon-Duchenw line but if you do you got to make sure you get production.

All 3 have been plenty productive since they were split up. Mac and Dutch are still together and still playing at a point per game with a really good unlikely linemate in Comeau, whose speed and hustle have been the perfect complement.

Meanwhile, Landy is producing (had 2 last night) and finally clicking well with Soderberg, which was the plan all along. Meanwhile, Soderberg is quietly in the top 3 in Avs scoring and has been earning every cent of his contract, playing in all situations. Astute pickup by Joe.

Anytime you can have 2 really good lines instead of just one, you go for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16272497)
John Scott opened up about the All Star debacle. So good.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

EDIT: Screw you, NHL.

This article almost brought me to tears. Amazing stuff from someone who seems to be a pretty stand up guy. I've always thought his personality didn't fit the typical goon trope.

Brohan_Santana 01-28-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16273008)
All 3 have been plenty productive since they were split up. Mac and Dutch are still together and still playing at a point per game with a really good unlikely linemate in Comeau, whose speed and hustle have been the perfect complement.

Meanwhile, Landy is producing (had 2 last night) and finally clicking well with Soderberg, which was the plan all along. Meanwhile, Soderberg is quietly in the top 3 in Avs scoring and has been earning every cent of his contract, playing in all situations. Astute pickup by Joe.

Anytime you can have 2 really good lines instead of just one, you go for it.

This article almost brought me to tears. Amazing stuff from someone who seems to be a pretty stand up guy. I've always thought his personality didn't fit the typical goon trope.

Can't access stats right now but before last night Landy was having a little of a rough stretch. And Soderberg I believe has been the highest scorer since mid December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRS1386 01-28-2016 02:52 PM

Busy thread today. Love the puck talk and I'm on the Fuck the NHL bandwagon.

efraser77 01-28-2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16273008)

And yet you mocked me when the Sharks signed him. :p

Which reminds me: How 'bout that game the other night eh?

efraser77 01-28-2016 03:05 PM

Too late to edit: Which also reminds me: Is pulling the goalie with half a period left going to become a thing? First Hawks then Avs recently.

fonzz41 01-28-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16273011)
Can't access stats right now but before last night Landy was having a little of a rough stretch. And Soderberg I believe has been the highest scorer since mid December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call it a rough patch. He's been fairly consistent throughout the year, however not putting up the types of numbers of Duchene or MacKinnon. He's settling more into the role of a three-zone, complete player. Still first-line caliber no question, but not pure scorer types like Duchene.

And yeah, Soderberg has been lighting it up since December. Took a couple months to find his groove, but now he's been great.
Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 16273028)
And yet you mocked me when the Sharks signed him. :p

Which reminds me: How 'bout that game the other night eh?

I'm not the mocking type, but I do remember questioning the signing. It had nothing to do with his character, but more with that being the only real move the Sharks made in an offseason where they'd hinted there would be more. More about them than him.

That was a ROUGH game. I wasn't even frustrated with the Avs, and pitied them more than anything. Pickard was so sick he could hardly even get up off the ice in the 2nd. And you could tell other guys on the team weren't themselves either. Full credit to the Sharks, though, for capitalizing in a big way. I still really love Vlasic.

Great to have you back in the thread, pal.

efraser77 01-28-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16273060)

I'm not the mocking type, but I do remember questioning the signing. It had nothing to do with his character, but more with that being the only real move the Sharks made in an offseason where they'd hinted there would be more. More about them than him.

That was a ROUGH game. I wasn't even frustrated with the Avs, and pitied them more than anything. Pickard was so sick he could hardly even get up off the ice in the 2nd. And you could tell other guys on the team weren't themselves either. Full credit to the Sharks, though, for capitalizing in a big way. I still really love Vlasic.

Great to have you back in the thread, pal.

I know, I questioned it too. But after all this all-star stuff, I'm glad he wrote that piece, it was well done and made it clear what kind of man he is, even if his primary job on the ice is to punch people.

And yeah, I felt bad for Pickard too.

Sharks are actually rolling now, worst time for an All-Star break. :/

mr.MikeD 01-28-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16272497)
John Scott opened up about the All Star debacle. So good.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

EDIT: Screw you, NHL.

Great read, fuck betman

fonzz41 01-29-2016 11:14 AM

Time for Matt's annual mid-season awards. If the season ended today, this is who I would give awards to:

Hart: Kane, Karlsson, Benn
Winner: Kane. All three of these players have been juggernauts for their team this year, but I've got to go with Kane. Absolute whole new level of excellence so far this season.

Norris: Karlsson, Klingberg, Seabrook
Winner: Karlsson. I tried to think outside the Weber-Keith-Doughty box on this one, and it wasn't hard to identify these three (although Doughty almost snuck in). Seabrook has always kinda been seen as the Robin to Keith's Batman, but I really feel he's stepped up in a big way this year and has looked great in both zones. John Klingberg is years ahead of where he should be developmentally and will win a Norris one day, mark my words. But man... Erik Karlsson looks GOOOOOOOD. I used to be less than impressed with his defensive abilities, but he has been excellent in all areas this year.

Vezina: Holtby, Luongo, Crawford
Winner: Holtby. This one was hard. Luongo has resurrected his career and is playing with as much enthusiasm as the rest of the Panthers. Crawford, I think, is a damn good goalie despite what people say and I think he's earned at least a nomination this year. But Holtby, workhorse that he is, deserves it this year.

Calder: Larkin, Panarin, Gostisbehere
Winner: Larkin. Panarin is scoring like a vet, Gostisbehere is playing defense like a vet (on a bad team, I might add), but the overall poise and all-around game of Dylan Larkin has really stood out to me this season. It's close, but I'd give it to him.

Selke: Soderberg, Marchand, Benn
Winner: Benn. This one's always tough for me because it's tough to know what to gauge it on. Also, I again tried to move out of the norm (Toews-Bergeron-Datsyuk) and think outside the box. I mean, I don't want to dismiss the regulars, but I think sometimes because they're perennial noms they get a pass when maybe there are others that are being looked over. The three I nominated are being glossed over. Benn is such a good skater for his size, and uses it well in his own zone. He's great along the boards and at covering the point. Marchand's style of play is what draws focus, and people miss that he's actually a very responsible player when it comes to defense. Soderberg has been an absolute godsend for the Avs on both the PP and PK. His positioning in his own end is flawless.

Adams: Gallant (FLA), Trotz (WAS), Quenneville (CHI)
Winner: Trotz. This one was tough, but easy at the same time. Not only are the Caps having an amazing season, but it sort of serves as a Lifetime Achievement award for Trotz, who I think is one of the best coaches the game has ever seen. I really tried to look for someone to knock Quenneville off the Top 3 podium (Hynes in NJ gets definite props), but let's face it: He's a great coach and deserves yet another nom. And man - what Gerard Gallant has done ALREADY in Florida is certainly inspirational and should not be overlooked.

Argue with me, as I'm sure you can't wait to do. :popcorn

JRS1386 01-29-2016 12:29 PM

Ghost is playing on a good team, you fuck

dmbetc 01-29-2016 03:04 PM

Kris Letang must be a DMB fan, and a bad one at that

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kri...-star-edition/

Roose13 01-29-2016 04:19 PM

:lol:lol

barbogast 01-30-2016 06:46 AM

Skills comp should be fun

JRS1386 01-30-2016 09:57 AM

Yea I'm pumped for it

Roose13 01-30-2016 10:17 AM

Jagr forever the best

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...367030361.html

Roose13 01-30-2016 10:20 AM

I've come around on the John Scott thing. Not a fan of him as a player but he should never have been treated like this.

Anyway, Dustin Byfuglien being in the fastest skater competition is just proof that the NHL should chill the fuck out with Scott. If don't take one aspect seriously then you can't take any of it seriously.

My friend and I were just talking about the ASG earlier and how she's tired of how the NHL forces its older stars on us like Toews and Ovechkin, forcing them to play in this game with a threat of a suspension if they don't. If they don't wanna play, don't make them.

The ASG, if it's going to be like this, should be filled with under-25 younger stars. Then at the end of the season have an all-pro team and be done with it. You expose younger stars to casual and hardcore fans who don't get to see a player like Johnny Gudreau play on the east or a Jack Eichel on the west.

barbogast 01-30-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16275225)

I fucking hate how likeable he is these days. Ugh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16275231)
I've come around on the John Scott thing. Not a fan of him as a player but he should never have been treated like this.

Anyway, Dustin Byfuglien being in the fastest skater competition is just proof that the NHL should chill the fuck out with Scott. If don't take one aspect seriously then you can't take any of it seriously.

My friend and I were just talking about the ASG earlier and how she's tired of how the NHL forces its older stars on us like Toews and Ovechkin, forcing them to play in this game with a threat of a suspension if they don't. If they don't wanna play, don't make them.

The ASG, if it's going to be like this, should be filled with under-25 younger stars. Then at the end of the season have an all-pro team and be done with it. You expose younger stars to casual and hardcore fans who don't get to see a player like Johnny Gudreau play on the east or a Jack Eichel on the west.

Agree with all of this, spot on. The fact that there's three Caps appearing tonight and none of them are Ovechkin is exactly what is needed. Fresh faces who are excited to be there and will perform accordingly. Dragging out the same aging veterans year after year (who don't really want to be there anyway) makes an already stale event that much staler.

Roose13 01-30-2016 11:23 AM

Especially since a player like Jagr is getting voted off popularity. Though granted, a 44-year-old with 33 points in 45-plus games is fantastic.

lockman21 01-30-2016 11:59 AM

OMG the passers for the accuracy shooting for the East.

Backstrom and Jagr.

JRS1386 01-30-2016 04:27 PM

Avalanche players already disappointing

dmbetc 01-30-2016 04:43 PM

Awesome for Larkin to beat the fastest skater record.

JRS1386 01-30-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16275406)

That was cool.

Also, Duchene fucks up again. Matty get him in line

JRS1386 01-30-2016 04:46 PM

And who says hockey cant be cute

Roose13 01-30-2016 05:14 PM

Jagr's mullet looking solid so far.

TMoore4075 01-30-2016 05:15 PM

Just went back and watched Larkin. He stumbled and still beat the record.

barbogast 01-30-2016 05:20 PM

Breakaway challenge was very fun this year. Too bad my guy didn't show well, but overall very good. James Neal's hidden puck is underrated. Dylan Larkin freaking flew around that ice. Holy smokes. I think there was about one inch between him and the net on that first turn. Really impressive.

JRS1386 01-30-2016 05:32 PM

Neal should have won the Breakaway challenge

JRS1386 01-30-2016 05:43 PM

Johnny Gaudreau looks like he can star in the reboot of Rookie of the Year

space_raven 01-30-2016 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16275406)

:thumbsup

JRS1386 01-30-2016 05:51 PM

Hope Weber can break Chara's record

JRS1386 01-30-2016 05:55 PM

Love the crowd loving Scott. He's gotta be having a hell of a time

JRS1386 01-30-2016 05:59 PM

108.1 damn. Not the record, but damn close and damn hard

barbogast 01-30-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16275474)
Love the crowd loving Scott. He's gotta be having a hell of a time

He genuinely seems to be having a blast. Awesome to see

JRS1386 01-30-2016 06:21 PM

Loved his spin move :lol

Lcsulla 01-30-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16274158)
Time for Matt's annual mid-season awards. If the season ended today, this is who I would give awards to:

Hart: Kane, Karlsson, Benn
Winner: Kane. All three of these players have been juggernauts for their team this year, but I've got to go with Kane. Absolute whole new level of excellence so far this season.

Norris: Karlsson, Klingberg, Seabrook
Winner: Karlsson. I tried to think outside the Weber-Keith-Doughty box on this one, and it wasn't hard to identify these three (although Doughty almost snuck in). Seabrook has always kinda been seen as the Robin to Keith's Batman, but I really feel he's stepped up in a big way this year and has looked great in both zones. John Klingberg is years ahead of where he should be developmentally and will win a Norris one day, mark my words. But man... Erik Karlsson looks GOOOOOOOD. I used to be less than impressed with his defensive abilities, but he has been excellent in all areas this year.

Vezina: Holtby, Luongo, Crawford
Winner: Holtby. This one was hard. Luongo has resurrected his career and is playing with as much enthusiasm as the rest of the Panthers. Crawford, I think, is a damn good goalie despite what people say and I think he's earned at least a nomination this year. But Holtby, workhorse that he is, deserves it this year.

Calder: Larkin, Panarin, Gostisbehere
Winner: Larkin. Panarin is scoring like a vet, Gostisbehere is playing defense like a vet (on a bad team, I might add), but the overall poise and all-around game of Dylan Larkin has really stood out to me this season. It's close, but I'd give it to him.

Selke: Soderberg, Marchand, Benn
Winner: Benn. This one's always tough for me because it's tough to know what to gauge it on. Also, I again tried to move out of the norm (Toews-Bergeron-Datsyuk) and think outside the box. I mean, I don't want to dismiss the regulars, but I think sometimes because they're perennial noms they get a pass when maybe there are others that are being looked over. The three I nominated are being glossed over. Benn is such a good skater for his size, and uses it well in his own zone. He's great along the boards and at covering the point. Marchand's style of play is what draws focus, and people miss that he's actually a very responsible player when it comes to defense. Soderberg has been an absolute godsend for the Avs on both the PP and PK. His positioning in his own end is flawless.

Adams: Gallant (FLA), Trotz (WAS), Quenneville (CHI)
Winner: Trotz. This one was tough, but easy at the same time. Not only are the Caps having an amazing season, but it sort of serves as a Lifetime Achievement award for Trotz, who I think is one of the best coaches the game has ever seen. I really tried to look for someone to knock Quenneville off the Top 3 podium (Hynes in NJ gets definite props), but let's face it: He's a great coach and deserves yet another nom. And man - what Gerard Gallant has done ALREADY in Florida is certainly inspirational and should not be overlooked.

Argue with me, as I'm sure you can't wait to do. :popcorn

Agreed on Kane for the Hart and probably the Art Ross as well. Presidents up is a possibly for Chigago.Though I think Panarin should get the calder. I could also see Keith win another Norris, he is dynamite and will keep up his pace now that he is back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16275231)

Shame Toews is not playing the ASG though. He said he had flu but I think he may have just wanted some rest.

JRS1386 01-30-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16275557)
Agreed on Kane for the Hart and probably the Art Ross as well. Presidents up is a possibly for Chigago.Though I think Panarin should get the calder. I could also see Keith win another Norris, he is dynamite and will keep up his pace now that he is back!

Shame Toews is not playing the ASG though. He said he had flu but I think he may have just wanted some rest.

I can tell that you are completely unbiased

barbogast 01-31-2016 04:37 AM

We should probably just stop and give all the trophies to the Blackhawks, right?

UCFish 01-31-2016 08:24 AM

Would be the smart thing to do.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 09:18 AM

Bettman for 6 more years!!!!!

Roose13 01-31-2016 10:23 AM

Did a little look at the Flyers during the All-Star break: https://twitter.com/ACPress_Russo/st...01875271979011

mr.MikeD 01-31-2016 02:42 PM

By ASG standards this is reasonably entertaining

Roose13 01-31-2016 02:44 PM

What I like about this format is that in typical 3 on 3 situations, you see less hitting because the ice is so open and it's a faster game. With it being an ASG, players can go hard without having to "lay off" in regards to hits. Makes the game flow look pretty natural.

mr.MikeD 01-31-2016 02:45 PM

Yep, true, lets the skill shine and still seem like legit hockey

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16275645)
We should probably just stop and give all the trophies to the Blackhawks, right?

Other teams can win trophies?

barbogast 01-31-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16275847)
Other teams can win trophies?

The Caps rock at President's trophies. Duh.

cry_minarets458 01-31-2016 03:29 PM

This is a wonderful ASG. And Scott with the goal fucking awesome

socopithy 01-31-2016 03:32 PM

It's like a whole game of PP. Fun stuff.

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:34 PM

Darryl Sutter is such a fucking weird dude :lol

aeroshady 01-31-2016 03:35 PM

John Scott scoring rules!!

socopithy 01-31-2016 03:36 PM

Hahaha just as I said that, we see the first actual PP in an ASG in like 6 years.

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:43 PM

:lol Patty Kane vs. John Scott in a fight!

socopithy 01-31-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16275891)
:lol Patty Kane vs. John Scott in a fight!

That put a smile on my face. And it was the definitive image of ASGs.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 03:47 PM

John Scott has more All Star game goals than Sidney Crosby

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:49 PM

:lol @ John Scott telling Roenick "It's not the first time you've been wrong."

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:52 PM

This is so awesome. What a fun ASG.

cry_minarets458 01-31-2016 03:52 PM

This is a fucking great game

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:55 PM

Oh my god I fucking love it. That reaction from Scott on his second goal.

lockman21 01-31-2016 03:55 PM

Central is getting WORKED.

aeroshady 01-31-2016 03:57 PM

Loving this! John Scott rules!!

lockman21 01-31-2016 04:00 PM

Wow! What a give and go between Big Buff and Seguin.

lockman21 01-31-2016 04:01 PM

Holy shit, keep Buff out of Dallas. These two are nasty together.

swordo84 01-31-2016 04:07 PM

This is good fun. Best asg in a long while, in any sport.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 04:53 PM

https://twitter.com/NHLnumbers/statu...625600/photo/1

cry_minarets458 01-31-2016 05:22 PM

That's fucking great. Scott MVP. Wonderful game. Standing O

lockman21 01-31-2016 05:23 PM

This honestly could not have been better.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 05:24 PM

This was a fantastic end to a strange saga

BotheLaneFan 01-31-2016 05:24 PM

Such an amazing moment.

TMoore4075 01-31-2016 05:25 PM

Fantastic game, fantastic outcome. It was entertaining, it was actually competitive, I'm totally surprised on that one. Congrats to John Scott. Couldn't have been been better for an F U to the NHL.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 05:27 PM

The turd lining to all of this amazingness is that the little troll Bettman will be commish until 2022

daveshookme 01-31-2016 05:29 PM

That was one of the best NHL moments I've ever seen. Up there with watching Bourque lift the cup.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 16275994)
That was one of the best NHL moments I've ever seen. Up there with watching Bourque lift the cup.

Thats a bit of a stretch. I love this moment, but Bourque is a whole other level

lockman21 01-31-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16275992)
The turd lining to all of this amazingness is that the little troll Bettman will be commish until 2022

Don't rain on the parade. We can deal with that tomorrow.

daveshookme 01-31-2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16275995)
Thats a bit of a stretch. I love this moment, but Bourque is a whole other level

Right now I put this right up there. Will prob change come tomorrow but who knows. This was just superb. A guy who never even dreamed of playing in the ASG is now the winning capt and the MVP.

JRS1386 01-31-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 16275998)
Right now I put this right up there. Will prob change come tomorrow but who knows. This was just superb. A guy who never even dreamed of playing in the ASG is now the winning capt and the MVP.

Its definitely going to be a memorable moment. Not going to argue that. This was probably the best ASG ever. The format change and the Scott magic was perfect

aeroshady 01-31-2016 05:35 PM

10 out of 10! John Scott story will be told for many years!

fonzz41 01-31-2016 05:44 PM

I can't get over how awesome this Scott story has turned out to be. Simply amazing.

Would love to see him write a follow up in the Players Tribune regarding the actual all star experience.