Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 12-14-2015 08:36 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16220685)
I agree. I do think it is just a mid-season slump. I am mostly annoyed because this team can be so much better. Plus, I actually will have time to go to a game over the holiday break, but I am having second thoughts about dropping $200+ for a ticket when they are playing this way.

Yeah, but if they play well, it'll be that much sweeter. Imagine a 5-1 win over the Caps where Hank stands on his head at the Garden right now. That'd be sweet.

dmbetc 12-14-2015 11:10 AM

Oh, Greg is melting about the Rangers? Color me shocked!

dmbetc 12-14-2015 11:11 AM

Haven't watched the Rangers much lately, I see they put Stoll on waivers. I thought he looked decent in the beginning of the year, not doing well there?

hailtopitt 12-14-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

I agree. I do think it is just a mid-season slump. I am mostly annoyed because this team can be so much better. Plus, I actually will have time to go to a game over the holiday break, but I am having second thoughts about dropping $200+ for a ticket when they are playing this way.

support your team through thick and thin

they need you now more than ever

Roose13 12-14-2015 11:12 AM

:lol:lol

TMoore4075 12-14-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

You make it sound like they are the 76ers. They are a playoff team who is struggling right now.

hailtopitt 12-14-2015 11:28 AM

it must be this fair december weather we're having...

aeroshady 12-14-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16220917)
Oh, Greg is melting about the Rangers? Color me shocked!

:rattle I just want to watch good HOCKEY!!!! AAAHHAHHHHHHH

Okay...I am calm again :cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16220923)
support your team through thick and thin

they need you now more than ever

:lol Of course I support them! I was rocking the Gretzky 99 Jersey after their last loss. I am just not sure I can shell out the $$ for a home game given their current play. That said, Feb 2nd at the Prudential Center, I am there. Going into enemy territory (even with the Devils much improved).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16220952)
You make it sound like they are the 76ers. They are a playoff team who is struggling right now.

They have won the same amount of games as the 76ers in December :p

Lcsulla 12-14-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16220102)
Kane with another assist. 26 game point streak. Now ahead of Crosby's 25 game streak in 2010, making him the longest point streak since 1992-93.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Szayrye3fc

That was great, even got to see it on national TV instead of my computer! Kane is amazing, Crawford is playing great, Keith being back helps us a lot and I think the rest he got made his even better since he is playing so well on both sides of the ice! Was also great to see Mashinter get his first NHL goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16220103)
Feeling pretty good about this streak going 82 games.

It really is amazing to watch day in and day out. He is on fire right now and it is a lot of fun to see such skill displayed! Not sure 82 games is realistic but it would be great for the sport to see him tally a point in another few dozen games to get within reach of Gretzky's record streak from 30+ years ago!

TMoore4075 12-14-2015 06:37 PM

Scuderi for Daley....interesting.

bradshaw06 12-14-2015 06:42 PM

No more Scuderi:multi:washer:hump

JRS1386 12-14-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16220103)
Feeling pretty good about this streak going 82 games.

So it will end sometime in the playoffs?

lockman21 12-14-2015 08:03 PM

Uh wtf is going on

Lcsulla 12-14-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221478)
Uh wtf is going on

I like the deal actually. Daley is 4 years younger but Scuderi has a lot more experience, particularly playoff and championship experience, and to be completely honest it never seemed like Daley fit in all that well with the Hawks.

lockman21 12-14-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16221509)
I like the deal actually. Daley is 4 years younger but Scuderi has a lot more experience, particularly playoff and championship experience, and to be completely honest it never seemed like Daley fit in all that well with the Hawks.

You say that now...

There's a reason Pens fans everywhere are celebrating someone "taking" Scuderi. He's old and really, really slow. He can barely skate.

I'm assuming we're going to call up someone from Rockford and Scuderi is the 7th defensemen? What REALLY pisses me off about this, though, is that we traded Sharp AND Stephen Johns for essentially Scuderi and Garbutt. Seriously? God damnit.

Daley didn't fit with the Hawks, no...but give it some time. I don't understand this at all unless there's more to it. There has to be more to it.

lockman21 12-14-2015 10:25 PM

Scuderi is essentially slower Roszival with worse hockey IQ, and can't move the puck as well.

Yay.

swordo84 12-15-2015 06:30 AM

Well I'll be damned. The Oilers currently sit in a playoff spot!

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221576)
Scuderi is essentially slower Roszival with worse hockey IQ, and can't move the puck as well.

Yay.

not to mention he makes WAY too much money

i love the trade as a Pens fans, but i'm not sure i understand it from the Hawks' perspective

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16221700)
Well I'll be damned. The Oilers currently sit in a playoff spot!

How bad is that division?

fonzz41 12-15-2015 07:27 AM

I did see that the Pens were eating 1/3 of his salary, which helps the Hawks cap situation a little. But still, that's $2 million being spent on a guy who will probably play even less than Daley's 14 mins a night.

Agree with Chris - he'll probably be a 7th defenseman, with some time on the bottom pair. I guess sometimes that's the price you pay to shed salary.

Pros: he's gritty as can be. He'll play through everything and take on anyone who comes his way. Also a pretty good shot blocker. Good leader too. He's one of those guys who you like to have in your back pocket of injuries hit deep in the playoffs.

Cons: everything Chris said. I wouldn't be so hard on his hockey IQ. But yeah, his body definitely hasn't been able to keep up with his mind or heart. And since he's not on the smarts level of Nick Lidstrom, he's simply not very effective. Five years ago, I would've loved him on the team. Now? Respectfully pass.

lockman21 12-15-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221743)
not to mention he makes WAY too much money

i love the trade as a Pens fans, but i'm not sure i understand it from the Hawks' perspective

Cap space, which is why I believe there's more happening in the background. Maybe we won't see it come for another couple months, maybe he's opening up cap space for a trade deadline acquisition. Not sure.

But Daley wasn't working. He's not a poor man's Mike Green, he's a broke man's Mike Green.

From an article when the Hawks acquired him:

Quote:

As Scott Cullen notes, Daley “was woefully overmatched in his role as a top pair defenceman for Dallas last season, posting the worst relative possession stats among 128 defencemen to play at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes.”
He's just not good, either. He was the new target of my anger. He pinches on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLAY. Dude, hold the blue line every once and a while, fuck. Every single play he's below the goal line. It seemed like every single time he was on the ice, play was going the other way. He wasn't generating any offense, which may be a result of having Duncan Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson all better than him at doing it the "Hawks way".

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Scuderi...he can at least skate...but I'm guessing this isn't the end of this move for the Hawks. At least I hope not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16221825)
I did see that the Pens were eating 1/3 of his salary, which helps the Hawks cap situation a little. But still, that's $2 million being spent on a guy who will probably play even less than Daley's 14 mins a night.

Agree with Chris - he'll probably be a 7th defenseman, with some time on the bottom pair. I guess sometimes that's the price you pay to shed salary.

Pros: he's gritty as can be. He'll play through everything and take on anyone who comes his way. Also a pretty good shot blocker. Good leader too. He's one of those guys who you like to have in your back pocket of injuries hit deep in the playoffs.

Cons: everything Chris said. I wouldn't be so hard on his hockey IQ. But yeah, his body definitely hasn't been able to keep up with his mind or heart. And since he's not on the smarts level of Nick Lidstrom, he's simply not very effective. Five years ago, I would've loved him on the team. Now? Respectfully pass.

I think he'll be better in Chicago than he was in Pitt. I think he'll surprise some people when he can play the same role Kimmo played last year (maybe a couple more minutes a game than Kimmo got). We'll see. I think he gets 6-8 minutes of ice time per game.

Or maybe they send him straight down to Rockford for even more cap savings. Who knows? Again, I don't think this is the end of this chapter for the Hawks.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16221959)
Cap space, which is why I believe there's more happening in the background. Maybe we won't see it come for another couple months, maybe he's opening up cap space for a trade deadline acquisition. Not sure.

But Daley wasn't working. He's not a poor man's Mike Green, he's a broke man's Mike Green.

From an article when the Hawks acquired him:

Code:

As Scott Cullen notes, Daley “was woefully overmatched in his role as a top pair defenceman for Dallas last season, posting the worst relative possession stats among 128 defencemen to play at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes.”
He's just not good, either. He was the new target of my anger. He pinches on EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PLAY. Dude, hold the blue line every once and a while, fuck. Every single play he's below the goal line. It seemed like every single time he was on the ice, play was going the other way. He wasn't generating any offense, which may be a result of having Duncan Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson all better than him at doing it the "Hawks way".

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than Scuderi...he can at least skate...but I'm guessing this isn't the end of this move for the Hawks. At least I hope not..

the bolded is perfect for the Penguins, honestly...Pens always pinch D-men and drop the F3 forward to cover up...it's risky but they often turn it into a lengthy possession

also, Daley had 16 goals with Dallas which is nothing to sneeze at. plus, he won't be in the top pairing in Pittsbugh.

once Letang is healthy, it'll look something like this:

Letang--Maata
Cole--Dumoulin
Daley--Lovejoy

they could mix and match a little, but the top pair is set in stone for sure. they should be calling up Pouliot soon as well

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 08:53 AM

i don't know if the Hawks can even send him to Rockford...being the tenured veteran that Scuderi is, i'd assume he has a 1-way contract

i'm just guessing though

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221967)
i don't know if the Hawks can even send him to Rockford...being the tenured veteran that Scuderi is, i'd assume he has a 1-way contract

i'm just guessing though

They should be able to send him as long as he clears waivers. Now, it'll only clear like 950k or something off the books so probably not worth it in that regard.

fonzz41 12-15-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16221967)

i'm just guessing though

He can still be sent to the minors regardless. A 1-way contract just means he gets paid the same amount salary-wise no matter if he's in the NHL or AHL. Unless I'm missing something?

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16222022)
They should be able to send him as long as he clears waivers. Now, it'll only clear like 950k or something off the books so probably not worth it in that regard.

ok yea that makes sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222029)
He can still be sent to the minors regardless. A 1-way contract just means he gets paid the same amount salary-wise no matter if he's in the NHL or AHL. Unless I'm missing something?

yea, you're right. i just looked it up

still kind of a head-scratcher of a trade though IMO

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2015 09:44 AM

Penguins are just grasping for straws at this point.

Honestly, the best thing that ever happened to Rangers, Caps, Flyers fanbases was the hiring of Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16222053)
Penguins are just grasping for straws at this point.

Honestly, the best thing that ever happened to Rangers, Caps, Flyers fanbases was the hiring of Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh.

not sure how trading Scuderi is grasping at straws?

but you're right about Rutherford. he's been awful

fonzz41 12-15-2015 10:00 AM

I don't think every NHL trade has to be a blockbuster that alters the entire present and future of the franchises involved. Some are just done simply to address needs, even small ones.

The Penguins wanted to move on from Scuderi and add some mobility to their blueline. The Hawks were looking to shed some salary and perhaps stock the cupboard a little more in preparation for another extended playoff run.

Boom, that's it. Both teams addressed minor needs.

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222090)
I don't think every NHL trade has to be a blockbuster that alters the entire present and future of the franchises involved. Some are just done simply to address needs, even small ones.

The Penguins wanted to move on from Scuderi and add some mobility to their blueline. The Hawks were looking to shed some salary and perhaps stock the cupboard a little more in preparation for another extended playoff run.

Boom, that's it. Both teams addressed minor needs.

Not everything can be a Drury for Morris trade.

~Crashintome89~ 12-15-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16222069)
not sure how trading Scuderi is grasping at straws?

They had to retain salary to move him, but they also get another D-man, who while can add a little bit of offense, needs to have sheltered minutes.

hailtopitt 12-15-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16222110)
They had to retain salary to move him, but they also get another D-man, who while can add a little bit of offense, needs to have sheltered minutes.

yea but he'll naturally get sheltered minutes. they don't really need to go out of their way to make that happen

he'll be on the bottom pair. maybe the 2nd pair until Letang gets back, maybe

and of course they had to retain salary to move Scuds. his contract was abysmal...but guess who gave him that awful contract...hint: not Rutherford

so it's been bad for a while now with the Pens, not just under the new regime

fonzz41 12-15-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16222101)
Not everything can be a Drury for Morris trade.

I've been sitting here trying to think of a bad Red Wings trade to come back with, but then I realized Ken Holland doesn't make bad trades.

And Chris Drury...:snot

TMoore4075 12-15-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222130)
I've been sitting here trying to think of a bad Red Wings trade to come back with, but then I realized Ken Holland doesn't make bad trades.

And Chris Drury...:snot

There were a couple that didn't work out but nothing terrible. Worst could be Bertuzzi and giving up a few picks and Shawn Mattias but Mattias never turned into the pro so many though he would and the Wings got the WCF's that year. Wings fans point to Cory Cross in 2006 but they gave up some late pick for him so...who cares? If that's what you have to point to to find the trades that didn't work out, what does that say?

lockman21 12-15-2015 02:11 PM

Daley asked to be traded, and he supposedly wasn't meshing with the Hawks in the locker room just as much as he wasn't on the ice.

Lcsulla 12-15-2015 07:19 PM

Who is refing this game, Stevie fucking Wonder? Holy motherfucking christ this guy is a retard! He gets in the way of players, misses calls that a bind dude could see, fails to notice when the avs take dives like some fucking south american soccer player and just plain sucks shit. This is bullshit, it is almost like the cocksuckers wants colorado to win - bastard. Also, fuck the dirty ass cheating motherfucking avs, hope one of their best players gets a broken damn neck I am so sick of their shit way of playing.

That rant over, gotta get it going on offense and I hope Kane can continue his streak - if the motherfucking refs don't get in his way literally and by missing calls a blind guy could see. This whole thing seems rigged by the refs, may they rot in hell for being so fucking awful.

JRS1386 12-15-2015 07:32 PM

Ghost bear is the best

dmbetc 12-15-2015 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16222682)
Who is refing this game, Stevie fucking Wonder? Holy motherfucking christ this guy is a retard! He gets in the way of players, misses calls that a bind dude could see, fails to notice when the avs take dives like some fucking south american soccer player and just plain sucks shit. This is bullshit, it is almost like the cocksuckers wants colorado to win - bastard. Also, fuck the dirty ass cheating motherfucking avs, hope one of their best players gets a broken damn neck I am so sick of their shit way of playing.

That rant over, gotta get it going on offense and I hope Kane can continue his streak - if the motherfucking refs don't get in his way literally and by missing calls a blind guy could see. This whole thing seems rigged by the refs, may they rot in hell for being so fucking awful.

yikes.....

JRS1386 12-15-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

:eek :eek
:grimey

dmbetc 12-15-2015 08:09 PM

Kane's streak ends, did Jamie set his house on fire yet?

fonzz41 12-15-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

If I didn't expect this from you every once in a while I would be getting more defensive right now. :lol

And to the bolded (really?), I think Shaw tried to fulfill your hopes there, buddy.

Partially kidding. The hit was unnecessarily high, but didn't look like it caused too much damage.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16222711)

I don't know about his own, but I'm certainly waiting outside of mine with a shotgun.

While I'll never complain about a 3-0 win against a division rival, I was sad to see Kane's streak end. I would've been perfectly happy with a 3-1 win if it meant Kane getting another point. It was fun while it lasted.

But all in all, some things to be cautiously excited about with my dirty ass cheating motherfucking Avs. Nice to see the 9's line still flying and Varly starting to find his game again.

JRS1386 12-15-2015 08:33 PM

Kane is so overrated. Can't get a point against a shitty Avs team. Doesn't even crack the top 250

fonzz41 12-15-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16222721)
Kane is so overrated. Can't get a point against a shitty Avs team. Doesn't even crack the top 250

Yes about the Avs. Also: dirty ass, cheating, and motherfucking. Don't forget those qualities.

But seriously, I can't figure this team out.

Lcsulla 12-15-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16222711)

Nah, I am just going to get ready for bed and get high as a kite. What a horseshit game that ended his streak. Those fucking refs should be put up against a wall and shot. That streak was great for hockey and now it ends because of shitty reffing, a team that is not all the great and just all around bullshit by the refs who I hope fly on Malaysian airlines and crash into the ocean so they die! What a fucking crock of shit game that was. Avs are a bunch of cheating cocksuckers and I hope they loose every game from now until the end of the season and miss the playoffs. Fucking bunch of piss poor cheating assholes. To hell with those fucking collection of over-rated sons of bitches!

lockman21 12-15-2015 09:47 PM

I don't understand what it is about the Hawks struggling so much with the Avs. It's been that way for 3-4 years now.

UCFish 12-15-2015 09:51 PM

Streak had to end one day.

fonzz41 12-15-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16222774)
Nah, I am just going to get ready for bed and get high as a kite. What a horseshit game that ended his streak. Those fucking refs should be put up against a wall and shot. That streak was great for hockey and now it ends because of shitty reffing, a team that is not all the great and just all around bullshit by the refs who I hope fly on Malaysian airlines and crash into the ocean so they die! What a fucking crock of shit game that was. Avs are a bunch of cheating cocksuckers and I hope they loose every game from now until the end of the season and miss the playoffs. Fucking bunch of piss poor cheating assholes. To hell with those fucking collection of over-rated sons of bitches!

:lol:lol:lol

Well, you got one thing right: they probably will miss the playoffs... The bunch of pisspoor cheating assholes.

dmbetc 12-15-2015 11:15 PM

Was this game really that bad?

dmbetc 12-15-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16222774)

http://49.media.tumblr.com/8fc83aee1...3oxho1_400.gif

fonzz41 12-15-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16222841)
Was this game really that bad?

I could tell you, but I bet you already know.

barbogast 12-16-2015 03:41 AM

Completely ridiculous string of posts from the Hawks fan. Absolutely no way whatever happened was that bad. Sounds like typical Facebook commentary stuff to me. I thought this was a place for intelligent hockey conversation.

salrx95 12-16-2015 03:49 AM

Figured streak was gonna end sooner than later. Such a tough thing to sustain. Very impressive nonetheless.

Islanders were due for a dud.

Roose13 12-16-2015 05:07 AM

Jesus lsculla, it's a fucking game. Calm down.

~Crashintome89~ 12-16-2015 06:36 AM

:lol :lol :lol

Hawks fans. Guy's team wins 3 stanley Cups in a span of five years and he's complaining about a regular season game in mid-December.

fonzz41 12-16-2015 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16222801)
I don't understand what it is about the Hawks struggling so much with the Avs. It's been that way for 3-4 years now.

Yeah, after the game ended I instantly recalled the then-crappy-too Avs ending the Hawks' big points streak.

Don't worry guys, I'm not getting a big head or anything. I also remember a certain Blue Jackets streak the Avs ended this year as well. :(

#dirtyasscheatingmotherfuckingcheatingcocksuckersp isspoorcheatingassholescollectionofoverratedsonsof bitches

hailtopitt 12-16-2015 06:44 AM

congrats to the Avs for standing up and saying "No" to Patrick Kane and sticking to it

been a long time since Kane hasn't scored, on or off the ice

fonzz41 12-16-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16222949)
congrats to the Avs for standing up and saying "No" to Patrick Kane and sticking to it

been a long time since Kane hasn't scored, on or off the ice

:lol

But seriously, he wasn't just held without a point, he was held without a SHOT.

Avs played really good team defense last night (even Kane mentioned it post-game), which is something I still can't picture myself saying. And they get a shutout against a great team? Huh, imagine that, Avs players. Playing defense DOES help you win!

hailtopitt 12-16-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222961)
:lol

But seriously, he wasn't just held without a point, he was held without a SHOT.

Avs played really good team defense last night (even Kane mentioned it post-game), which is something I still can't picture myself saying. And they get a shutout against a great team? Huh, imagine that, Avs players. Playing defense DOES help you win!

unless your team is bulit around all-world centers and speedy wings

then when you play defense, you are boring to watch and slightly above mediocre

#letsgopens

rickyh24 12-16-2015 08:08 AM

Rinaldo!!!

hailtopitt 12-16-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16223081)
Rinaldo!!!

thank christ he's on IR

just in time for the home-and-home with the penguins

Lcsulla 12-16-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16222718)
If I didn't expect this from you every once in a while I would be getting more defensive right now. :lol

Honestly, it is just blowing off steam when I am pissed off. I don't really want anyone harmed at all. Think of it as a pressure release of sorts. Better to get it out of my system. For example, if it was summer and an early game I would have gone to a batting cage and smacked the hell out of a few dozen baseballs, doesn't mean I am going to go around and smash things with a bat. Or if I get out of work frustrated ad annoyed at something I will play a first person shooter video game, doesn't mean I plan on a shooting rampage. Know what I mean, sometimes you just have to rant to get something out of your system before it explodes and sports can make me more pissed off them most things. I know the Hawks played a pretty sloppy game but the refs didn't do them any favors at all.

kev87lads 12-16-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure this post deserves a 1-2 day Ants ban.

barbogast 12-16-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16223130)
Honestly, it is just blowing off steam when I am pissed off.

They were pretty terrible posts.

Roose13 12-16-2015 09:59 AM

Yeah wishing death on people over a game is a little worse than blowing off steam

dmbetc 12-16-2015 10:48 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/44751918.jpg

rickyh24 12-16-2015 11:07 AM

Must be from the South Pole.

TMoore4075 12-16-2015 11:35 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to...tampa-1.410192

This could be the biggest UFA ever. Thoughts on where he ends up? Tampa seems done, which is too bad cause it's nice seeing guys stick with a team forever. If he ends up in TO, I wonder how that goes with their building from the inside plan. He's gonna get huge money and that could hinder them.

fonzz41 12-16-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16223366)
http://www.tsn.ca/all-signs-point-to...tampa-1.410192

This could be the biggest UFA ever. Thoughts on where he ends up? Tampa seems done, which is too bad cause it's nice seeing guys stick with a team forever. If he ends up in TO, I wonder how that goes with their building from the inside plan. He's gonna get huge money and that could hinder them.

Yeah. If you would've asked me even up to and during last season, I would've said "no way" to Stamkos leaving Tampa. But with them getting contributions from some of their young guys and having some pretty solid foundational pieces, it's all of a sudden looking like a good move. Tampa can do a lot with the $9-$11 million they'd save by not re-signing him.

aeroshady 12-16-2015 12:20 PM

Going on record that the Hawk's fan melt completely blew my Rangers melt out of the water when it comes to mid-season crazy. Wow man. Haha

dmbetc 12-16-2015 12:26 PM

I'm throwing out Stamkos goes West

TMoore4075 12-16-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16223435)
I'm throwing out Stamkos goes West

Fine by me. I have a feeling it'll be tough for the Leafs to not open the vault for him. And then it'll be same old Leafs.

aeroshady 12-16-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16223447)
Fine by me. I have a feeling it'll be tough for the Leafs to not open the vault for him. And then it'll be same old Leafs.

I think Toronto is most likely as well. He seems to be making it clear he wants to go there.

hailtopitt 12-16-2015 01:03 PM

Toronto would be dumb to sign Stamkos

fonzz41 12-16-2015 01:20 PM

But let's be honest, if you can imagine any team out there ponying up $11 million a year for one player (I can almost guarantee that's what his opening price will be), it would be the Leafs.

Lcsulla 12-16-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16223139)

So go ahead and report me then.....

Lcsulla 12-16-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16223179)
They were pretty terrible posts.

Don't much care, almost everyone on this board has made similar posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16223224)
Yeah wishing death on people over a game is a little worse than blowing off steam

As I said, I do not actually wish them dead, I was venting. As for those blind ass refs, did you actually see how awful their officiating was or are you just basing your opinion on my rant?

fonzz41 12-16-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16223642)
As I said, I do not actually wish them dead, I was venting. As for those blind ass refs, did you actually see how awful their officiating was or are you just basing your opinion on my rant?

I'm an Avs fan, but I think I've got a pretty good track record here for remaining at least relatively unbiased, and I can honestly say that missed calls were made on both sides. Just like any hockey game. But they were not game-determining missed calls. I mean, you can never tell with the butterfly effect, but the fact remains that Chicago did not have one of their best games and the Avs did. That's why the outcome was the way it was. The Blackhawks are a better team overall than the Avs, plain and simple. They would probably win 4 out of 5 against them, but not last night.

Roose13 12-16-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16223139)

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16223642)
Don't much care, almost everyone on this board has made similar posts.

Pretty sure even the posters in the NFL thread don't post shit like that. It was way out of line, regardless if you think we're being all sensitive or not, and were pretty childish posts. Grow up, it's a game dude. Your little hockey team is still good.

Climb2safety 12-16-2015 05:49 PM

What do people think of John Carlson one day winning the Norris trophy?

barbogast 12-16-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16223715)

I think he could be nominated for it as early as this season. Don't think he'll win it. Maybe one day but I kind of doubt it. I mean it could happen eventually I guess. There's no denying he's blossoming into a true star.

I do think that if Holtby stays healthy it's currently his Vezina to lose.

fonzz41 12-16-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

He's certainly becoming Norris caliber. Solid, all around play, poise, and oozing hockey sense. Will he get nominated? Hopefully. But it may be hard to crack that nom with more established names like Keith, Doughty, Weber, etc.

But of course, just because he doesn't win or even get nominated for the Norris doesn't mean he's not Norris caliber.

fonzz41 12-16-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

He's certainly becoming Norris caliber. Solid, all around play, poise, and oozing hockey sense. Will he get nominated? Hopefully. But it may be hard to crack that nom with more established names like Keith, Doughty, Weber, etc.

But of course, just because he doesn't win or even get nominated for the Norris doesn't mean he's not Norris caliber.

fonzz41 12-16-2015 09:30 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Agree that Holtby is leading contender for Vezina. Barbs, do you worry about tiring out by end of season? Or does he have the stamina? I know he played a ton last year.

barbogast 12-16-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16223913)
Sorry for the double post.

Agree that Holtby is leading contender for Vezina. Barbs, do you worry about tiring out by end of season? Or does he have the stamina? I know he played a ton last year.

Stamina never seemed to be an issue last year. I do worry though, yes. Moreso than him tiring out, I worry about him getting injured. I think he came handle 70 games + 3-4 round of playoffs. I just don't know if he'll be lucky enough to avoid injury the whole time.

Roose13 12-17-2015 05:23 AM

My fantasy team thanks Rask last night :thumbsup

barbogast 12-17-2015 07:37 AM

Curious if anyone in here saw the Tom Wilson hit from last night. A match penalty was assessed. Interested to hear thoughts from people who aren't Caps or Sens fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=kX2_WsBLHZE

salrx95 12-17-2015 08:38 AM

Some of these are really spot on. It's well done.....like Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

http://thehockeywriters.com/18-star-...-counterparts/

Lcsulla 12-17-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16223739)

Yeah, I think he is solid as a rock (perhaps a bit young) but he is right up there with the best d men in the league. I think Keith is still one of the best d men in the league but will have to get on fire for him to get serious consideration due to his injury and missing a few weeks. I also think you have to consider Hjalmarsson, Hedman and Seabrook as well for top contenders because they are all on fire now and if they continue they solid play it is going to be a horse race for the Norris Trophy.

TMoore4075 12-17-2015 09:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmMhh919Uc

A quick video about Gretzky's 51 game point streak. Amazing he had 100 points in the first 34 games and ended the streak with 61 goals and 92 assists. Guys don't do that in 82 games now.

kev87lads 12-17-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16223639)

:lol I don't have to. Your "vent" spoke loud enough with the reaction you got in here, specifically seen by a frequent poster in this thread whom is a mod.

fonzz41 12-17-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16223927)
Stamina never seemed to be an issue last year. I do worry though, yes. Moreso than him tiring out, I worry about him getting injured. I think he came handle 70 games + 3-4 round of playoffs. I just don't know if he'll be lucky enough to avoid injury the whole time.

He's such a workhorse. Crazy that he's already played 25 games this year. Very Brodeur-esque in that regard. Hopefully he can stay healthy, at the very least for my fantasy team!
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16224143)
Curious if anyone in here saw the Tom Wilson hit from last night. A match penalty was assessed. Interested to hear thoughts from people who aren't Caps or Sens fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=kX2_WsBLHZE

This one's tricky:

Good things about hit: It wasn't particularly hard; elbows were down and it didn't look like Wilson was specifically targeting the head; he didn't leave his feet and he was gliding, not skating into it.

Bad things about hit: Whether or not head was intended target, he did get his head (with a bit of shoulder too). It was blind-side. Where Wilson is kind of coming from the side and behind, there's not really any chance Lazar could've seen him and braced for the hit.

Seeing the hit in real time, I probably would've made the same on-ice call. Match penalty. IF he gets suspended by today's NHL, I would guess two games.

dmbetc 12-17-2015 01:02 PM

Wilson hit: Agree with the penalty on ice but don't think he should get anything extra. I agree with what Matt said, he wasn't targeting the head, no intent to injure. He's a much bigger guy, was going into a play (puck was there), and Lazar was bending down. It was more of a glide into him. It's not like he went up into the hit.

Just think it was unfortunate positioning.

TMoore4075 12-17-2015 01:04 PM

Yeah forgot to reply on this earlier. Head did get contact but wasn't intentional and I think the penalty was right and enough. The only stupid thing was it was a blindside hit.

Lcsulla 12-17-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16224610)
:lol I don't have to. Your "vent" spoke loud enough with the reaction you got in here, specifically seen by a frequent poster in this thread whom is a mod.

Pretty sure Sarah know I was only venting and not serious. Not to mention I have been a mod for almost 11 years here without breaking any rules so cut me some slack will ya.

PS... you should be banned for a few days just for being a damn Flyers fan! :lol

fonzz41 12-17-2015 02:31 PM

I think we should turn this whole thing into a contest of who can hurl the best insults at the Avs when your team is playing them (posting the insults here, of course). Jamie set the bar pretty high, but I have faith in you guys.

Sal, bring your A game tonight, buddy.

rickyh24 12-17-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16223639)

:lol well played

Lcsulla 12-17-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16224928)
Jamie set the bar pretty high.

No sense shooting to miss! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16224937)
:lol well played

I try! :lol

barbogast 12-17-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16224615)
He's such a workhorse. Crazy that he's already played 25 games this year. Very Brodeur-esque in that regard. Hopefully he can stay healthy, at the very least for my fantasy team!

I really hope so too. He's on pace to have the best season by a Caps goalie ever, and by a lot. Can he win 50 games? The fact that that's even possible is remarkable to me. I'll admit I've been skeptical of Holtby's legitimacy in the past, and as recently as earlier this season, but the guy is a proven beast now. It no longer feels fluky at all. He's genuinely an elite goaltender and it seems like it's just a matter of time before he completely obliterates any and all franchise goalie records.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16224615)
This one's tricky:

Good things about hit: It wasn't particularly hard; elbows were down and it didn't look like Wilson was specifically targeting the head; he didn't leave his feet and he was gliding, not skating into it.

Bad things about hit: Whether or not head was intended target, he did get his head (with a bit of shoulder too). It was blind-side. Where Wilson is kind of coming from the side and behind, there's not really any chance Lazar could've seen him and braced for the hit.

Seeing the hit in real time, I probably would've made the same on-ice call. Match penalty. IF he gets suspended by today's NHL, I would guess two games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16224840)
Wilson hit: Agree with the penalty on ice but don't think he should get anything extra. I agree with what Matt said, he wasn't targeting the head, no intent to injure. He's a much bigger guy, was going into a play (puck was there), and Lazar was bending down. It was more of a glide into him. It's not like he went up into the hit.

Just think it was unfortunate positioning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16224842)
Yeah forgot to reply on this earlier. Head did get contact but wasn't intentional and I think the penalty was right and enough. The only stupid thing was it was a blindside hit.

Not surprisingly I found the match penalty to be pretty excessive :lol

dmbetc 12-17-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16181005)
Ducks aren't making any changes, per GM. This is surprising to me.

2 months later.. maybe some changes coming?

Still fun watching them on this downward spiral.

TMoore4075 12-18-2015 01:26 PM

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/18/...y%2Carticle%5D

haha