Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Brohan_Santana 06-19-2019 12:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread: Gloria!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17475383)
Except Wilson was two million cheaper and the deal was shorter. Plus I think Wilson is the more dynamic player and I’d rather have him on my team. Next year will be an interesting one for Wilson. If he can replicate the year he just had, his 5 million cap hit doesn’t seem very ridiculous anymore

He's also 2 years younger - we haven't seen Wilson's ceiling yet

dmbetc 06-19-2019 07:00 PM

NHL Awards are cringeworthy bad.

Chumlee67 06-20-2019 06:35 AM

I didn't even know they were on last night.....

kev87lads 06-20-2019 06:43 AM

The hokey parts of the awards stuff was definitely very bad. But the uplifting stories and features were really good.

aeroshady 06-20-2019 08:49 AM

I miss the Ants NHL thread awards

fonzz41 06-20-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 17476450)
I miss the Ants NHL thread awards

Sorry guys, I've dropped the ball on that. I had such a long absence from the thread this year I'm not sure I'm qualified to do them. Will do better this season!

fonzz41 06-20-2019 09:25 AM

Kenan roasting TB was pretty funny

https://twitter.com/davidnestico200/...98380356599808

EDIT: Vasilevsky's face :lol

barbogast 06-20-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17476479)
Sorry guys, I've dropped the ball on that. I had such a long absence from the thread this year I'm not sure I'm qualified to do them. Will do better this season!

As the only other person who contributed to that, I’ll say if someone wants to collaborate with me, let’s do it again. I’ll do my best to come up with it on my own as soon as possible but anyone that wants to help, I’d love that :lol

barbogast 06-20-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17476514)
Kenan roasting TB was pretty funny

https://twitter.com/davidnestico200/...98380356599808

EDIT: Vasilevsky's face :lol

Kenan Thompson: roasting goalies since the 90’s

Hey Goldberg, I bet if that was a cheeseburger you’d stop it! :lol

fonzz41 06-20-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17476630)
As the only other person who contributed to that, I’ll say if someone wants to collaborate with me, let’s do it again. I’ll do my best to come up with it on my own as soon as possible but anyone that wants to help, I’d love that :lol

I’m in to help!

fonzz41 06-20-2019 11:03 AM

Do we need to give Ricky one? He brought it up enough that I think he's secretly jealous/sad that he's never gotten one.

Lcsulla 06-20-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 17476057)
NHL Awards are cringeworthy bad.

Yeah, how much did the voters drink out of a whiskey bottle before casting their ballots? Some of those picks were absurd but I admit a few were no brainers.

Lcsulla 06-20-2019 02:53 PM

I know this is a hockey threat but take a peek at his video from the US women's national soccer team where a goal was scored. Can anoyone see this ball being deflected because I see someone burning the defense, picking her spot and placing it perfect. ONly reason I am posting this in here too is because we all know plenty about deflections!

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1550970435853

fonzz41 06-20-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17477023)
Yeah, how much did the voters drink out of a whiskey bottle before casting their ballots? Some of those picks were absurd but I admit a few were no brainers.

I thought most of the awards were well-deserved (a defenseman who can actually play defense won the Norris - FINALLY).

And like Kev said, there were some really heartwarming moments (Carey Price, Lehner's speech, etc.)

But the gimmicks were just awful.

barbogast 06-20-2019 03:18 PM

Ryan Callahan diagnosed with career ending back condition. Damn.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...g-back-injury/

barbogast 06-20-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17476706)
I’m in to help!

Word. I’m going on vacation on Saturday so it’s terrible timing to offer to quarterback this thing, but I will for sure. Ain’t gonna be till the week after next though :lol

Chumlee67 06-20-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17477054)
Ryan Callahan diagnosed with career ending back condition. Damn.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...g-back-injury/

Damn, that sucks.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17477061)
Word. I’m going on vacation on Saturday so it’s terrible timing to offer to quarterback this thing, but I will for sure. Ain’t gonna be till the week after next though :lol

Just make the picks drunk on vacation like the hockey writers do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fonzz41 06-21-2019 07:36 AM

Officiating gaffes from the playoffs already being addressed with official rule changes: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13...&sf104452436=1

fonzz41 06-21-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17477489)
Officiating gaffes from the playoffs already being addressed with official rule changes: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13...&sf104452436=1

Some that stuck out to me:

Goals can now be reviewed if there was an infraction prior to the goal being scored (puck hitting the netting, hand pass, etc. Sound familiar?)

Coaches can now initiate as many Coach's Challenges as they want, but will be assessed penalties for every unsuccessful challenge

Referees are now required to review every major or match penalty they call and have the option of reducing the penalty upon review (ahem, Vegas fans)

If a player loses his helmet on the ice he has to put it back on immediately or exit the ice (unless he's directly involved with the play)

For a face-off following an icing or to begin a PP, the attacking team gets to pick the face-off dot.

mr.MikeD 06-21-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17477504)

Goals can now be reviewed if there was an infraction prior to the goal being scored (puck hitting the netting, hand pass, etc. Sound familiar?)

Coaches can now initiate as many Coach's Challenges as they want, but will be assessed penalties for every unsuccessful challenge

Referees are now required to review every major or match penalty they call and have the option of reducing the penalty upon review (ahem, Vegas fans)

If a player loses his helmet on the ice he has to put it back on immediately or exit the ice (unless he's directly involved with the play)

For a face-off following an icing or to begin a PP, the attacking team gets to pick the face-off dot.

down goes brown was harping on this one. They don't have the option to make it no penalty at all. So if they review and totally missed what actually happened, they still have to call a minor. And refs might be more inclined to call majors now, knowing that they can review and reduce - resulting in more replay time.. Who knows, my first thought is "it can't get worse", but it's the NHL so it probably can.

barbogast 06-21-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17477504)

This sounds like an unclear gray area. Really think they should minimize those.

Overall though, good for the league for taking real action.

fonzz41 06-21-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17477584)
This sounds like an unclear gray area. Really think they should minimize those.

Overall though, good for the league for taking real action.

Yeah it definitely is. I can see it being a scenario like a player moving up the ice with the puck, he skates through a check, losing his helmet in the process. The ref will let him finish his rush, with the expectation that as soon as he shoots/dishes off the puck/whatever, he'll go get his lid or leave the ice.

Even still, some gray area. Good refs are communicative and will probably let the player know when he expects him to get off. I imagine they'll be pretty lenient.

barbogast 06-21-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17477599)
Yeah it definitely is. I can see it being a scenario like a player moving up the ice with the puck, he skates through a check, losing his helmet in the process. The ref will let him finish his rush, with the expectation that as soon as he shoots/dishes off the puck/whatever, he'll go get his lid or leave the ice.

Even still, some gray area. Good refs are communicative and will probably let the player know when he expects him to get off. I imagine they'll be pretty lenient.

Agreed, you’d have to think the refs will err on the side of lenience with that one. Good point.

Lcsulla 06-21-2019 05:58 PM

Steve Yzerman throwing a curveball with that pick. Looks like a solid defenseman with offensive upside but I did not think he would go that high. Good pick but Yzerman still has some work to do in Detroit. The look on that kids face when they announced his name was priceless.

No other big surprises in the first few picks for me - top two were no brainers IMO, Chicago wanted a center so it was either Dach or Turcotte, CO getting Byram makes that team even more dangerous (particularly if they can slot him on that PP of theirs!) and I believe LA was going to pick whichever C Chicago didn't.

bradshaw06 06-21-2019 06:25 PM

Moritz Seider sounds like something they serve at a bar mitzvah

Lcsulla 06-21-2019 08:17 PM

Wow, they really hate Boston up there in Vancouver - you'd think at least they'd cheer Neely for the 3 solid seasons he had for them early on in his career! :lol

TypicalBilly14 06-21-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17478383)
Wow, they really hate Boston up there in Vancouver - you'd think at least they'd cheer Neely for the 3 solid seasons he had for them early on in his career! :lol

Boston won the Cup in Vancouver.

Lcsulla 06-21-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 17478388)
Boston won the Cup in Vancouver.

Yeah, I am aware of that but I thought Neely would get some applause.

fonzz41 06-21-2019 11:12 PM

Avs CLEANED UP at the draft. So happy with their two picks. Their blue line in the near future will be:

Makar
Girard
Timmins
Byram

Wow.

Also cool: Nolan Foote (Adam’s boy) was drafted by the Lightning, where his brother Cal also plays.

drakan 06-21-2019 11:41 PM

:popcorn