Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TheLastPig 05-22-2017 09:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Definitely think they're a better team than St Louis

rickyh24 05-22-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16796020)
Sure does - they beat Chicago (109 points), they beat St. Louis (99 points) and Anaheim (105 points) while they only had 94 points and were the last seed in the west. They just got on a hot streak at the right time.

Isn't that what makes the NHL playoffs so great? Any team has a chance. Saying they don't deserve the cup after working through teams "better than them" kind of contradicts why people think the sport has one of the better playoffs entertainment wise.

fonzz41 05-22-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16796040)
Isn't that what makes the NHL playoffs so great? Any team has a chance. Saying they don't deserve the cup after working through teams "better than them" kind of contradicts why people think the sport has one of the better playoffs entertainment wise.

:thumbsup They out worked all three more "talented" teams and deserve to be where they are.

barbogast 05-23-2017 04:10 AM

Awesome for the Preds. Good for them.

Wonder how Barry Trotz feels right now.

TMoore4075 05-23-2017 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16796010)
Fuck them, collection of dirty cheating bastards and they end up beating 3 teams that are far better than them. I hope Ottawa or Pittsburgh sweeps them in the finals. They do not deserve the cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16796040)

OK I'm 100% agreeing with Ricky. Something ain't right. This is one of the reasons I love it. Sure I love the sport and all of that but not knowing who is gonna in a particular series makes it unbelievably entertaining. If you're an 8th seed in the NBA you go in knowing you are gone in a week maybe 10 days but here you have an 8th seed as a finalist. The Kings were 8 when they won the Cup in 2012, Oilers got to game 7 in 06, Ducks as a 7th seed in 03, Flyers as a 7th got to the Finals in 2010 and I'm sure I can find more. Hawks might have been the more talented team and have the better regular seasons, but they weren't the better team in that series and that's when it matters. You can ask Barbs and the Caps how much where you finish in the regular season matters.

EDIT: I'll add that I love that they are there and would love to see the Sens there too. I don't want to see the same teams in the finals or winning it over and over (unless of course it was my team) so having a team like the Preds there is great. It's great for the market and the fans.

clayj41 05-23-2017 05:20 AM

Happy for the Preds. I'm going to try and get down to Nashville some time during the series since there's never been a Stanley Cup Final played so close to home in my lifetime.

cry_minarets458 05-23-2017 05:23 AM

that game was bonkers last night

Roose13 05-23-2017 05:35 AM

Lsculla with a terrible hot take last night. Go Preds Go

jrkarger 05-23-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16796020)
Sure does - they beat Chicago (109 points), they beat St. Louis (99 points) and Anaheim (105 points) while they only had 94 points and were the last seed in the west. They just got on a hot streak at the right time.

By this logic the CapiLOLs should be automatically back-to-back Stanley Cup Champions.

Com'on, man... this isn't Premiere League Soccer.

aeroshady 05-23-2017 05:44 AM

Totally with the majority in here.

1. Go Preds! I am so happy for Nashville!

2. The Preds totally deserve to be where they are at. They have played fantastically all playoffs. Also, look past this one year. They have been close to taking the next step for the past 3-5 years. I thought they took a step back in the short term with the Suban/Webber trade, but I was wrong. That seems to have been the missing piece!

I hope they win the Cup now! It would be so awesome for that city. Imagine the parade for that win! So many celebs would be there.

Dramageek 05-23-2017 07:29 AM

Jamie (perhaps understandably) still a bit salty about the Hawks getting summarily destroyed by the Preds. :lol I think the Preds are a fun young team (Subban's occasional antics aside). I wonder if the Caps are thinking they should have hired Laviolette.

I'm getting nervous about tonight. I like the Pennns' chances, but you just never know.

aeroshady 05-23-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16796285)
Jamie (perhaps understandably) still a bit salty about the Hawks getting summarily destroyed by the Preds. :lol I think the Preds are a fun young team (Subban's occasional antics aside). I wonder if the Caps are thinking they should have hired Laviolette.

I'm getting nervous about tonight. I like the Pennns' chances, but you just never know.

I would think the Habs are the team that are going to have regrets. They were supposed to be the short-term winners of that trade. They changed coaches and won the division, but in the end, they still fell flat in round 1 and got bounced by the Rangers. Meanwhile, the Preds flew under the radar until the postseason and are now cruising into the Stanley Cup Finals with P.K. Suban. If I am a Habs fan, I am pretty annoyed right now.

TheLastPig 05-23-2017 07:40 AM

2 years in a row an original 6 Canadian team had to watch the star player they traded away make a run to the cup :lol

aeroshady 05-23-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16796323)
2 years in a row an original 6 Canadian team had to watch the star player they traded away make a run to the cup :lol

True. However, the Leafs and their fans are probably feeling pretty good about that team right now. They have everything to look forward to. The Habs on the other hand are watching their window shut. Price is getting older and the traded for Webber, who probably only has a few years left to make a big impact.

Also, as a Rangers fan, I have had to watch loads of key players make runs after leaving our team.

Off the top of my head:

Gaborik- Fans basically ran him out of NY. Beats us for the Cup with LA

Callahan- Captain of our team, beats us the next year in the ECF (Although this trade played a large role in us making the Finals that year).

Boyle- Didn't resign him, knocks us out in the ECF the next year.

Stralman- One of our best D-men, couldn't resign him, beats us in the ECF the next year.

Richards- We bought him out after the 2014 run, he won the Cup with the Hawks the next season.

Hagelin- We decided to sign Stepan instead of Hags, he knocked us out in the first round the very next year and went on to win the cup.

Brassard- We traded him to get younger, he knocked us out this year with the Sens and still has a chance at going to the Finals.

Future:

Cam Talbot: Former Rangers backup goalie who was fantastic for us when Hank was out, will probably win the Cup with Edmonton.

Who will it be next?! My guess, Dan Girardi or Derek Stepan.

TheLastPig 05-23-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16796401)
True. However, the Leafs and their fans are probably feeling pretty good about that team right now. They have everything to look forward to. The Habs on the other hand are watching their window shut. Price is getting older and the traded for Webber, who probably only has a few years left to make a big impact.

Also, as a Rangers fan, I have had to watch loads of key players make runs after leaving our team.

Off the top of my head:

Callahan- Captain of our team, beats us the next year in the ECF (Although this trade played a large role in us making the Finals that year).

Stralman- One of our best D-men, couldn't resign him, beats us in the ECF the next year.

Richards- We bought him out after the 2014 run, he won the Cup with the Hawks the next season.

Hagelin- We decided to sign Stepan instead of Hags, he knocked us out in the first round the very next year and went on to win the cup.

Brassard- We traded him to get younger, he knocked us out this year with the Sens and still has a chance at going to the Finals.

Future:

Cam Talbot: Former Rangers backup goalie who was fantastic for us when Hank was out, will probably win the Cup with Edmonton.

Yeah Im sure leafs fans arent too bitter. But they were much more so at this point last year.

I just think its extra funny because they were the two most prominent Canadian teams.

recentlyJTR41 05-23-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Yeah I was about to say didn't Nashville beat the shit out of Chicago? First ever sweep by an 8 seed over a 1? lmao

TMoore4075 05-23-2017 08:29 AM

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23/...hedule-makers/

Can this guy just accept a loss? If I didn't dislike the Ducks enough, keep bitching....

unccrombie 05-23-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16796401)

Off the top of my head:

Future:

Yeah, our team has won so many cups!

! - with other teams

Roose13 05-23-2017 09:07 AM

Someone needs to tell Carlyle that this is the longest, most difficult post season in all of sports. So yea, everyone is gonna start feeling some fatigue by the conference finals. What a jabroni.

TheLastPig 05-23-2017 09:09 AM

Cogliano also said he thought the ducks were the better team

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/22/...e-better-team/

Carlyle bitching about one extra day off is so rich though :lol

~Crashintome89~ 05-23-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16796010)
Fuck them, collection of dirty cheating bastards and they end up beating 3 teams that are far better than them. I hope Ottawa or Pittsburgh sweeps them in the finals. They do not deserve the cup.

This is definitely a Brohan melt right here.

And to the bolded, probably one of the most ridiculous things ever said in this thread.

hailtopitt 05-23-2017 09:39 AM

Lol never thought I'd see a melt about the freaking Nashville Predators

Love this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeroshady 05-23-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16796514)
Yeah, our team has won so many cups!

! - with other teams

:eiffeltower Wooo! I am so glad we can be the team that gets these players ready to win a Cup with someone else! Especially when we are nice enough to give them an easy round in the playoffs to win by sucking against their new teams!

Lcsulla 05-23-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

You are correct, that is clouding my judgement. I should not have said they don't deserve the cup, if they somehow win it of course they deserve it after beating teams better than they are. I won't even get started on subban, he is dirty and loves the spotlight too much for my taste. Nashville is on a great run but they have gotten some very lucky breaks (and some questionable calls go their way) and have responded - I can't even say the questionable calls made the difference because the Ducks, Blues and Hawks are used to coping with those calls, Nashville is just playing very well. Something about the organization (not the players) annoys the hell out of me and THAT has nothing to do with them sweeping the Hawks because I have never been able to like anything about that damn team, they might as well be the Flyers - whom I somehow respect more despite their tormenting my Whalers!

recentlyJTR41 05-23-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16796773)
You are correct, that is clouding my judgement. I should not have said they don't deserve the cup, if they somehow win it of course they deserve it after beating teams better than they are. I won't even get started on subban, he is dirty and loves the spotlight too much for my taste. Nashville is on a great run but they have gotten some very lucky breaks (and some questionable calls go their way) and have responded - I can't even say the questionable calls made the difference because the Ducks, Blues and Hawks are used to coping with those calls, Nashville is just playing very well. Something about the organization (not the players) annoys the hell out of me and THAT has nothing to do with them sweeping the Hawks because I have never been able to like anything about that damn team, they might as well be the Flyers - whom I somehow respect more despite their tormenting my Whalers!

That's usually how teams win championships.

The Cubs just played well all last season that's why they won the World Series.

UCFish 05-23-2017 01:01 PM

Anaheim really is full of little bitches....so happy they lost

dmbetc 05-23-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16796468)
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/23/...hedule-makers/

Can this guy just accept a loss? If I didn't dislike the Ducks enough, keep bitching....

:lol:lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16797028)
Anaheim really is full of little bitches....so happy they lost

they are the worst, so satisfying watching them lose

aeroshady 05-23-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16797050)
:lol:lol

they are the worst, so satisfying watching them lose

Sucks, because I like being in Anaheim, but yeah...

TMoore4075 05-23-2017 04:26 PM

I loved the Mighty Ducks when Kariya and Selanne were there. Now they are a bunch of dicks.

hailtopitt 05-23-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16797197)
I loved the Mighty Ducks when Kariya and Selanne were there. Now they are a bunch of dicks.

They aren't dicks they are ducks

Clearly a typo