Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 11-17-2016 01:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16644542)
You don't need to follow it. It is simplistic to be honest. I am tired of Canada winning gold in the Olympics and I will support any change that will weaken their chance of winning gold. I believe that having it be the juniors playing in the Olympics instead of the NHL players improves the chance of other countries winning gold. It doesn't stop Canada from being in the mix and even one of the favorites every year. However, the WJC show that the playing field is more even.

I don't share your optimism about the USA being able to beat Canada the way things are. I also really don't care about the WCoH. Which is why I don't care if Canada wins it every time. If the USA randomly won it, I would bandwagon jump on and brag about it. I just don't see me ever caring about it though.

It's just not a fair option. Call me as soft as four-ply or a candy ass if you want, but I think these guys give enough of themselves for our entertainment that rooting for them to allow to play in the tournament that actually matters to them (and providing them a fair CBA) isn't too much to ask.

swordo84 11-18-2016 05:14 AM

Oilers falling back to earth/reality. 5 game skid currently.

Alazais 11-18-2016 06:20 AM

Did anyone see Marner's goal last night? It was insane.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marners-go...498/c-46451103

TMoore4075 11-18-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16644490)
1) They'll reair them at better viewing times, I'm sure. Hockey is one of the biggest draws of the winter Olympics (if not the biggest draw).

2) I'm certainly not pretending anything. But there are other ways to negotiate this. To pretend like the Olympics are the worst as a bargaining chip to extend the CBA (which absolutely favors them, especially as more time goes) is shady at best, and at worst it's exploiting your workforce.

The NHL knows players take a lot of pride in wearing their country's sweater. They know how much it means to them, and are using emotion as a bargaining chip. I don't like that. The financial incentives from the IIHF, I'm fine with that, but trying to manipulate public perception because of your player's emotions seems a little underhanded.

This CBA greatly favors owners/the league. First of all, not all revenue is split 50/50. Just some. Really owners keep more like 60-65%, AND escrow keeps a pretty significant chunk of money in owners pockets. Not only that, but with the RFA/UFA structure (AND hard cap), owners are able to really keep player salary under control. We've talked about it before, look how young the league is getting. It's not just talent, it's salary cap/contracts. Guys like Kris Versteeg are really needing to try out for teams? Why pay Versteeg when you can bury kids in your farm forever, wait for them to hit RFA status, resign them for cheap, and then you can have 22/23 year olds at $800k producing 80% of what a vet like Steeger would for $2-3m?

Bettman, for all things he sucks at, is a great commissioner for the owners. He plays hardball, asks for crazy concessions, and then meets in the middle somewhere. This is no different. He knows that a 3-year extension is a shitty ask of the players, BUT, fans hear it and all they think is "3 more years of lockout-free hockey! Sure!" which is music to Gary's ears. Makes his negotiating, and ability to take advantage of his workforce, much easier.

I know they'll replay it but I'll know the outcome so what do I care? I don't watch hockey games later. I do record the west coast games that I don't stay up for but it's just to fast forward to the goals that I already know happen.

I don't really like using this that way either and as a normal polite (ok sometimes) human being I wouldn't but this is a business and both sides will be douchebags to an extent. They've gotta work it as best they can. If you got some of us to work on the CBA (if we new the legalities side), you could get it done fast and it would probably ok but both sides will try their best to get every ounce they can.

TMoore4075 11-18-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16645206)

yeah fuck that shit, Talbot was really helping my fantasy team out. Last 7 days a 3.42 GAA....

mr.MikeD 11-18-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16645206)

yup. not fun or surprising.

need Russel back, need Eberle to ... do something? stop doing things?

Seems like teams are figuring out how to slow McDavid down a bit - lots of just-about-but-not-quite-penalty clutching and grabbing. And even when he gets a great pass off no one else finishes.

aeroshady 11-18-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16644688)
It's just not a fair option. Call me as soft as four-ply or a candy ass if you want, but I think these guys give enough of themselves for our entertainment that rooting for them to allow to play in the tournament that actually matters to them (and providing them a fair CBA) isn't too much to ask.

I just don't agree man. I am against any sporting event where the playing field is really lopsided over an extended period of time. Olympic hockey has become just that. World Juniors are not. As a result, I would prefer to see the juniors in the Olympics.

Also, I pay around $200+ for NHL games in my area. Players in the NHL make a league minimum of over $500,000 per year. I understand where you are coming from, but honestly, I don't buy into the "they give enough of themselves" argument when all of them make more per year than I ever will to play a game that doesn't actually contribute to society in any way. The only thing they contribute is mindless entertainment, and currently, I don't find the Olympics very entertaining. I am being harsh but honest about how I feel. It is totally fine if you don't agree.

hailtopitt 11-18-2016 11:49 AM

sports of all kinds absolutely contribute to society far past mindless entertainment

and yes, Canada is always the favorite for gold in the Olympics, but it's not as big of a gap as people think. hell ,2010 gave us maybe the best gold medal game ever and 2014 game us the amazing US v Russia shootout IN Russia

Olympic hockey needs the NHL players

TheLastPig 11-18-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 16645260)
Did anyone see Marner's goal last night? It was insane.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marners-go...498/c-46451103

That was slick. That pass was even more impressive though. Damn.

barbogast 11-18-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16645614)
I just don't agree man. I am against any sporting event where the playing field is really lopsided over an extended period of time. Olympic hockey has become just that. World Juniors are not. As a result, I would prefer to see the juniors in the Olympics.

Also, I pay around $200+ for NHL games in my area. Players in the NHL make a league minimum of over $500,000 per year. I understand where you are coming from, but honestly, I don't buy into the "they give enough of themselves" argument when all of them make more per year than I ever will to play a game that doesn't actually contribute to society in any way. The only thing they contribute is mindless entertainment, and currently, I don't find the Olympics very entertaining. I am being harsh but honest about how I feel. It is totally fine if you don't agree.

I know this is beside the Olympic point, but I strongly disagree with this part of your post.

As for the Olympic thing, my personal feeling is that the Olympic Games should feature the best athletes/players/competitors in the world. For hockey, that means the guys in the NHL. I don't think it's fair to pro players in any sport to say, "sorry, you're actually SO GOOD at this, we're not gonna let you play in the Olympics". That literally makes zero sense to me. I think saying that you'd prefer to restrict the talent level so the competition is more even cheapens what the Olympics should be about. If Canada can ice the best group of 20-ish hockey players time and time again, so be it. Should we restrict the Jamaicans from using their best athletes because Usain Bolt keeps winning gold every 4 years? Should the US swimming program send only their B squad because Phelps dominated for so long? It just doesn't make sense to me.

lockman21 11-18-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16645614)

Couldn't disagree more. With all of this.

TheLastPig 11-18-2016 12:42 PM

Sports absolutely contribute to society. Tax on tix, supporting surrounding businesses, media etc. Not a hard concept to grasp.

barbogast 11-18-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16645639)
Sports absolutely contribute to society. Tax on tix, supporting surrounding businesses, media etc. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Exactly. And, it's not just economically, either.

The power of sports on the psyche should not be underscored. Even just the mere feeling of having something fun to look forward to in the evening (like watching a hockey game) can help provide the boosts we need to productively move through our days. And obviously it can evoke great emotions from a person, which is something that must be fascinating for people who aren't sports fans. Additionally, the impact on a community that comes from a successful, or unsuccessful, sports team is significant. It provides a common ground for people of all different backgrounds to connect and socialize over.

Basically, the impact of sports on society is huge. Like mega-gigantic huge.

Brohan_Santana 11-18-2016 02:33 PM

Little after the moment, but the Caps played the Penguins goal song after Ovi made the game 6-0 :lol :lol :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLastPig 11-18-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16645718)
Little after the moment, but the Caps played the Penguins goal song after Ovi made the game 6-0 :lol :lol :lol

It's amazing how far in the caps head's the Pens are.

hailtopitt 11-18-2016 02:52 PM

^^ agreed. kind of admitting to it by doing something like that

Philly is the same way too

focusing more on the opponent than your own team

barbogast 11-18-2016 02:59 PM

It would be nice if just once the Caps did something that didn't make themselves look completely foolish.

How to properly respond to Banner tweet:

1. Don't engage with the tweet.

2. Even if you have something really witty, don't engage with the tweet.

3. Win the game by many goals (this part they got right)

4. Don't play the Pens goal song after any of the goals, only your own (they lost it here)

5. Continue on about your life, as if the tweet was beneath you (this step has not been realized, unfortunately, as I could link to a half dozen articles about how badass it was when they beat them 7-1 after the tweet)

It's just not that hard. I don't understand why they have to always shoot themselves in the feet.

hailtopitt 11-18-2016 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16645732)
It would be nice if just once the Caps did something that didn't make themselves look completely foolish.

How to properly respond to Banner tweet:

1. Don't engage with the tweet.

2. Even if you have something really witty, don't engage with the tweet.

3. Win the game by many goals (this part they got right)

4. Don't play the Pens goal song after any of the goals, only your own (they lost it here)

5. Continue on about your life, as if the tweet was beneath you (this step has not been realized, unfortunately, as I could link to a half dozen articles about how badass it was when they beat them 7-1 after the tweet)

It's just not that hard. I don't understand why they have to always shoot themselves in the feet.

i mean it's not a huge deal, the Caps should feel great after that win

but i could never in a million years imagine the Penguins playing a goal song other than their own.

and on the philly aspect, would never imagine a time when the crowd jeered an opposing player instead of cheering for their own guys EVERY TIME that player was in town for an ENTIRE decade

it's just weird and makes you look/sound dumb

lockman21 11-18-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16645718)

Nothing quite like an inferiority complex.

barbogast 11-19-2016 09:09 AM

TJ Oshie listed week-to-week. Caps also lost Eller and Burakovsky last night. Yikes.

lockman21 11-19-2016 09:16 AM

What a fucking day for Matt Calvert, eh?

Roose13 11-19-2016 09:57 AM

:lol I didn't even see that little Twitter spat until just now. What was the account thinking?

dmbetc 11-19-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16646022)
What a fucking day for Matt Calvert, eh?

Holy shit! I just saw that!

aeroshady 11-19-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16645615)
sports of all kinds absolutely contribute to society far past mindless entertainment

and yes, Canada is always the favorite for gold in the Olympics, but it's not as big of a gap as people think. hell ,2010 gave us maybe the best gold medal game ever and 2014 game us the amazing US v Russia shootout IN Russia

Olympic hockey needs the NHL players

Don't agree with the Olympic part.

I also think it needs to be clarified about what contributes and what does not. I agree that the NHL and the individual franchises do play a role in their respective communities. I didn't mean to say that the NHL or the NY Rangers (for example) don't contribute to society. In fact, many "football clubs" in Europe (like Celtic FC) were formed specifically for these purposes. They raise money for their communities, and helped run many community events. Celtic FC was formed to help Irish Catholic immigrants find a home in Scotland.

Today, these teams do a tremendous amount of charity work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16645626)
I know this is beside the Olympic point, but I strongly disagree with this part of your post.

As for the Olympic thing, my personal feeling is that the Olympic Games should feature the best athletes/players/competitors in the world. For hockey, that means the guys in the NHL. I don't think it's fair to pro players in any sport to say, "sorry, you're actually SO GOOD at this, we're not gonna let you play in the Olympics". That literally makes zero sense to me. I think saying that you'd prefer to restrict the talent level so the competition is more even cheapens what the Olympics should be about. If Canada can ice the best group of 20-ish hockey players time and time again, so be it. Should we restrict the Jamaicans from using their best athletes because Usain Bolt keeps winning gold every 4 years? Should the US swimming program send only their B squad because Phelps dominated for so long? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't agree again with the Olympics part. I believe that the Olympics should be the best amateurs in the world. If the NHL always sent its best players, 1980 never would have happened. I want that magic back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16645631)
Couldn't disagree more. With all of this.

Sorry you don't agree. Although I do feel that I didn't word my society comment the way I wanted to in my post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16645639)

See above. I didn't mean to say the sport (the NHL or its teams) does not contribute to society. What I meant was that I don't feel the players performing the act of playing the game is contributing to society in any other way than entertainment. For example, an Engineer may build a bridge or design a new method that advances the world. A doctor cures and finds new ways to heal and save lives. Inventors and R&D people create and promote the advancement of our civilization. Teachers help to form our futures. Ect, ect, ect....

Sports players play a game. The act of playing that game does not advance society in anyway. It also does not contribute to society other than entertainment. These players makes more money than any of the above mentioned by an insane amount. I don't complain, because they entertain me, and I like sports.

That said, I don't agree with the argument of "these guys give so much of themselves" when arguing about the Olympics. I know a lot of people that "give ALL of themselves" for far less in their every day jobs. They don't make millions of dollars and get several months off every year. I actually find it a bit offensive to other professions to make this the argument. If you want to say you feel they should participate in the Olympics for all of the other reasons used (best of the best, personal preference, ect) I have no problem with it. My issue comes when I am supposed to feel bad for people playing a game and have listen to an argument that makes it seem like they work harder than the rest of the working world. That doesn't sit well with me.

I appreciate what these guys do on the ice. Many of them do contribute off the ice in charities and other events (like going to hospitals for example). That said, the act of playing the game does not do anything more than entertain in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16645682)
Exactly. And, it's not just economically, either.

The power of sports on the psyche should not be underscored. Even just the mere feeling of having something fun to look forward to in the evening (like watching a hockey game) can help provide the boosts we need to productively move through our days. And obviously it can evoke great emotions from a person, which is something that must be fascinating for people who aren't sports fans. Additionally, the impact on a community that comes from a successful, or unsuccessful, sports team is significant. It provides a common ground for people of all different backgrounds to connect and socialize over.

Basically, the impact of sports on society is huge. Like mega-gigantic huge.

The above here can be very true or very untrue depending on the area or individual. I know a lot of people in NYC that don't care about any sports at all. Their lives are not impacted in ANY way if the Yankees, Rangers, Giants, ect win or lose. There is literally nothing that will alter their lives in anyway from sports (in most cases).

The exception that makes me agree with you is when there is a tragic event such as 9/11 or the Boston bombings. Sports helped the healing process in for much of the community (though not all, because again, sports don't speak to everyone).

A lot of the sentiment I hear from you all are things that I share. You all see how much a Rangers win or loss can impact me. My point is that just because I feel that way about the Rangers (or who ever you root for), doesn't mean other do as well. Furthermore, my opinion on who should go to the Olympics is not going to be altered by feeling bad for guys who make a very large salary to play a game.

Lcsulla 11-19-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16644094)
Did it have the No. 2 to represent their President's Trophies? :lol

Nah, they just put a P on the sweater where the C or A would normally be! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16644230)
wow 4-6 months for Stamkos

i was way off...but i'm not sure why meniscus surgery is having such a long recovery time. seems weird

Yeah, have been reading a lot about how the compressed season may be contributing to these injuries, lot of great players going down - Stamkos, Oshie, Quick, Johnny Hockey, etc, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16644683)
Proceeds to bring soft serve to Team USA bench.

"THAT'S ONE HAPPY HUMAN!" - Eddie O. as the camera pans over to Phil with a giant cone and ice cream all over his face.

As I was reading this I was slamming down a bowl of iced cream! :lol

Gretzky gets a new contract - with the Simpsons!!!!
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...isode-simpsons

lockman21 11-19-2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16646216)
Don't agree again with the Olympics part. I believe that the Olympics should be the best amateurs in the world. If the NHL always sent its best players, 1980 never would have happened. I want that magic back.

Gonna try to attack this in multiple parts:

In literally 0 other sports is it "the best amateurs". The NBA sends their players. Soccer sends theirs. Track, swimming, etc.

Is Michael Phelps the best amateur swimmer? Is LeBron the best amateur basketball player? It's the world's biggest stage and it should have the world's best players.

The "1980 would have never happened" honestly might be the worst argument I've ever heard. Besides trying to recapture that magic being impossible (unless you want to stage another super power cold war), it's also not realistic.

Quote:

Sorry you don't agree. Although I do feel that I didn't word my society comment the way I wanted to in my post.
The society thing was just part of the reason I didn't agree with it.

Quote:

See above. I didn't mean to say the sport (the NHL or its teams) does not contribute to society. What I meant was that I don't feel the players performing the act of playing the game is contributing to society in any other way than entertainment. For example, an Engineer may build a bridge or design a new method that advances the world. A doctor cures and finds new ways to heal and save lives. Inventors and R&D people create and promote the advancement of our civilization. Teachers help to form our futures. Ect, ect, ect....

Sports players play a game. The act of playing that game does not advance society in anyway. It also does not contribute to society other than entertainment. These players makes more money than any of the above mentioned by an insane amount. I don't complain, because they entertain me, and I like sports.

That said, I don't agree with the argument of "these guys give so much of themselves" when arguing about the Olympics. I know a lot of people that "give ALL of themselves" for far less in their every day jobs. They don't make millions of dollars and get several months off every year. I actually find it a bit offensive to other professions to make this the argument. If you want to say you feel they should participate in the Olympics for all of the other reasons used (best of the best, personal preference, ect) I have no problem with it. My issue comes when I am supposed to feel bad for people playing a game and have listen to an argument that makes it seem like they work harder than the rest of the working world. That doesn't sit well with me.

I appreciate what these guys do on the ice. Many of them do contribute off the ice in charities and other events (like going to hospitals for example). That said, the act of playing the game does not do anything more than entertain in my opinion.
1) It's "etc." not "ect." ;)

2) This is such a horrible and simple way of looking at it, and you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Watch this and tell me they don't give more than that:

https://youtu.be/MiWeKA-cv3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snyz9x2gNTw

You can't mention the work they do in the community and then just throw it away like it's just pure entertainment. These guys aren't gladiators or Jersey Shore. These guys become role models in their community. I truly believe I am the person I am because of sports. I grew up playing them and learning how to interact with people, what teamwork means, how to be a friend and how to stand up my friends...it taught me the meaning of hard work and the success that comes from it...it gives kids purpose and drive.

Beyond kids, it gives people a release, and a way to bond. My relationship with my father is built around sports. We still talk about the 2010 playoffs, or the 1990s Bulls, or the 2005 White Sox...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-utIirEFVk
https://youtu.be/OQ7pR87sfV0?t=5m37s

I mean, if you really can't see the role professional athletes and sports play in our society and how they're bigger than just "entertainment", then I really feel sorry you're missing out on some of the best parts of sports.

3) A bit offensive? Come on. No one is saying they work harder than anyone. We all work hard. I don't care if you're an engineer or a teacher or a professional athlete. We're all out here just giving our best (for the most part). Let's not get all sensitive.

But how many engineers have to go to work knowing this reality?

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nhl...ontador-video/

Or this one?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/1/2...delphia-flyers

How many teachers have this as part of their job hazard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gVlfLCtzA0

I'm not saying whether or not they work harder, but these guys take some SERIOUS long term health risks to do what they do. Whether it's stupid stuff like looking like a goon:

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img...h_1296x729.jpg

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/7...63b?width=1024

Or the serious effects on their brain that leads to depression and suicide problems...these guys take some serious risks that are not a normal job hazard. What they get paid doesn't matter. It could be $30k or $10 million, they're still taking the risk. Besides, their salaries are more than justified, pretty simple economics that justify their salaries, but that's neither here nor there.

I think it's pretty selfish to want to take a side other than what they want. It's their game, it's them playing for pride in their country, it's their body and health. Guys like Ovechkin have said they're playing regardless of the NHL's stance. This means something to them. Who am I to want that to be taken away from them?

Quote:

The above here can be very true or very untrue depending on the area or individual. I know a lot of people in NYC that don't care about any sports at all. Their lives are not impacted in ANY way if the Yankees, Rangers, Giants, ect win or lose. There is literally nothing that will alter their lives in anyway from sports (in most cases).

The exception that makes me agree with you is when there is a tragic event such as 9/11 or the Boston bombings. Sports helped the healing process in for much of the community (though not all, because again, sports don't speak to everyone).

A lot of the sentiment I hear from you all are things that I share. You all see how much a Rangers win or loss can impact me. My point is that just because I feel that way about the Rangers (or who ever you root for), doesn't mean other do as well. Furthermore, my opinion on who should go to the Olympics is not going to be altered by feeling bad for guys who make a very large salary to play a game.
You seem really focused on this "very large salary to play a game" argument. You understand why they're paid that much...right?

Besides...WHO CARES? Do you believe that celebrities should deal with paparazzi because they're wealthy? You can hang out with the Gawker girl and talk about how these guys don't deserve things because they can hide behind piles of money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-avakrRUaU

The Olympics mean something to them. It means something to a lot of people. You know how many kids showed up to local rinks in Chicago in their Team USA "Kane" jerseys in 2010? LOTS.

This shit is important. And it means a lot beyond entertainment. Really sorry you can't see that.

JRS1386 11-20-2016 05:04 AM

Aero with all sorts of blasphemy is this place

aeroshady 11-20-2016 07:59 AM

I know this is probably a pointless attempt in the NHL thread. It is obvious that the message I am trying to covey is never truly given a chance here. With that said, here it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16646401)
Gonna try to attack this in multiple parts:

In literally 0 other sports is it "the best amateurs". The NBA sends their players. Soccer sends theirs. Track, swimming, etc.

Is Michael Phelps the best amateur swimmer? Is LeBron the best amateur basketball player? It's the world's biggest stage and it should have the world's best players.

The "1980 would have never happened" honestly might be the worst argument I've ever heard. Besides trying to recapture that magic being impossible (unless you want to stage another super power cold war), it's also not realistic.

Soccer actually does not send their best players. It is an under 23 event. That said, I don't have an issue with your argument here, I just don't agree with it. I prefer the juniors. You can't tell me that my opinion is wrong about this because you don't have the right to. You can only disagree with it. Moving on

The society thing was just part of the reason I didn't agree with it.

Again, sorry we disagree, or maybe you still are not seeing my point as evidence would suggest below.

1) It's "etc." not "ect." ;)

My entire post was from my phone while at an event yesterday. You will have to forgive a small error in such a large post from a phone. But I am sure you are not just trying to take a jab at me here to rile me up right ;)

2) This is such a horrible and simple way of looking at it, and you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Watch this and tell me they don't give more than that:

https://youtu.be/MiWeKA-cv3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snyz9x2gNTw

You can't mention the work they do in the community and then just throw it away like it's just pure entertainment. These guys aren't gladiators or Jersey Shore. These guys become role models in their community. I truly believe I am the person I am because of sports. I grew up playing them and learning how to interact with people, what teamwork means, how to be a friend and how to stand up my friends...it taught me the meaning of hard work and the success that comes from it...it gives kids purpose and drive.

Okay, so here is were it comes of the tracks. I can talk about not counting the community work. You know why? Yesterday I spent my entire Saturday volunteering with children aged 9-13. We were introducing them to engineering, as a community out reach program to encourage young children to become interested in STEM fields. Specifically young girls who traditionally feel left out. This is just one of many volunteer activities I (and many others) have been apart of in the last month. The difference is we don't get the media attention or pat on the back for doing good in the community. Nor are we looking for it. It is about being a decent person and giving back when you can. Professional athletes have more ability to do this than almost any other profession in the world. It would be horrible if they didn't do any community service.

I point out italicized section because I grew up playing hockey too. It is important to understand that I am talking about the act of playing an NHL game. Of course you will learn lessons from playing a sport (or participating in any social activity for that matter). It can help with socialization as well has help kids learn to lose and win. That is not relevant to the argument I am making. At best, you can make an argument that kids watching the NHL encourages them to play the sport and thus leads to those lessons. I may be able to buy that.

I also hope that you learned some life lessons outside of sports too. The biggest issue with most professional sports figures is that they grew up in a bubble of that sport. I grew up in a town with several pro's from baseball, football and hockey. For the most part, these guys were very uneducated on anything outside of their sport and were also huge narcissists. I used to look up to sports figures as role models as well. That became a case by case thing after having the chance to meet so many. Marty was a huge tool when I met him the first time (as an 11 year old). Ken Daneyko has been awesome every time I have ever met him. Every NFL player I have ever met while they were still playing has been rude, even to children. Boomer and Carton on WFAN get into arguments every time people call in complaining that sports figures are role models to kids. They argue (Boomer being a former player mind you) that these guys are not role models. They professionals trying to make a living.

Beyond kids, it gives people a release, and a way to bond. My relationship with my father is built around sports. We still talk about the 2010 playoffs, or the 1990s Bulls, or the 2005 White Sox...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-utIirEFVk
https://youtu.be/OQ7pR87sfV0?t=5m37s

I mean, if you really can't see the role professional athletes and sports play in our society and how they're bigger than just "entertainment", then I really feel sorry you're missing out on some of the best parts of sports.

Again, I already corrected myself here. I am not saying that sports don't have an impact on society. I am saying the act of playing in an NHL game does not impact society further than entertainment.

3) A bit offensive? Come on. No one is saying they work harder than anyone. We all work hard. I don't care if you're an engineer or a teacher or a professional athlete. We're all out here just giving our best (for the most part). Let's not get all sensitive.

But how many engineers have to go to work knowing this reality?

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nhl...ontador-video/

I am sorry man, but I am a manufacturing engineer. I know a lot of people don't actually know a lot about engineering so I will forgive any ignorance here, but when I am working in a manufacturing site, it is one of the most dangerous work places you can work in. I don't even have one of the more dangerous engineering jobs.

A list of all the Manufacturing injures every year.
http://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag31-33.htm

Petroleum Engineers spend 14 weeks straight on an oil rig in the ocean. Construction (civil) engineers are constantly working in high risk situations.

Not to mention the amount of engineers that join the armed forces to protect our nation. How many of them over the last 100 years never came home?

Or this one?

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/1/2...delphia-flyers

How many teachers have this as part of their job hazard?

Uh...serisouly? See links below and tell me how many NHL player have this as apart of their job hazard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7cVDxYd6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpZ0F1rGBjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBndu8QJOks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gVlfLCtzA0

I'm not saying whether or not they work harder, but these guys take some SERIOUS long term health risks to do what they do. Whether it's stupid stuff like looking like a goon:

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img...h_1296x729.jpg

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/7...63b?width=1024

Or the serious effects on their brain that leads to depression and suicide problems...these guys take some serious risks that are not a normal job hazard. What they get paid doesn't matter. It could be $30k or $10 million, they're still taking the risk. Besides, their salaries are more than justified, pretty simple economics that justify their salaries, but that's neither here nor there.

Again, I don't agree that their salaries are justified as much as you do. I have already pointed out the risks of other jobs, but let me add another. My father was a police officer for 25 years. He never even got close to six figures in salary. What he did get was: beaten, attacked, shot at, slashed by a knife, knocked out cold and left for dead in a blizzard, hate for just being a cop, worked insane hours, and oh yeah, lost one his best friends who died from being a cop. But yeah, pro-athletes salaries are totally justified in comparison :rolleyes

Honestly, if you can't see how I could take issue with this I am at a loss with you man.

I think it's pretty selfish to want to take a side other than what they want. It's their game, it's them playing for pride in their country, it's their body and health. Guys like Ovechkin have said they're playing regardless of the NHL's stance. This means something to them. Who am I to want that to be taken away from them?

It is NOT their game! That is a selfish and dangerous point of view. It is EVERYONE's game. With out fans, they don't have a job. When pro athletes lose site of this, they become the worst part of society.

Who are you? You are a fan who grew up supporting the sport just like I have. You and I have a right to have our voices heard when we are the ones helping to support the NHL. We are the ones who came back lockout after lockout. We are the ones who continue to pay money to see the best players play in our favorite sport. Don't take the attitude that your opinion doesn't matter.

Again,

You seem really focused on this "very large salary to play a game" argument. You understand why they're paid that much...right?

I understand how it happened that they are paid that much. I will never understand why they make that much more than other people in jobs that give even more for less. We take a very different view on the importance of life and work here.

Besides...WHO CARES? Do you believe that celebrities should deal with paparazzi because they're wealthy? You can hang out with the Gawker girl and talk about how these guys don't deserve things because they can hide behind piles of money?

You lost me here. Not really sure what this has to do with our conversation. :confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-avakrRUaU

The Olympics mean something to them. It means something to a lot of people. You know how many kids showed up to local rinks in Chicago in their Team USA "Kane" jerseys in 2010? LOTS.

It means a lot to me too. That is why I want a change. I really don't have a problem if you don't agree with me about the juniors. I also know I am in the minority (with the exception that my fathers generation stopped watching when the pro's were introduced because they felt that it ruined the Olympics to add them in). If the majority wants the NHL in, I will continue to go along with it. I just happen to feel that it could be better.

This shit is important. And it means a lot beyond entertainment. Really sorry you can't see that.

Which "shit" are you talking about? The Olympics? Because I agree and never said anything that suggests otherwise. Sports? Again, I already fixed what my point was on this. Playing the game? Sorry, but it is not any more or less important than what so many others due in their daily lives. I will not accept an argument that makes my life work, or the life work of others that are really making a large impact on moving society forward, be counted for less than what a professional athlete does when playing an game.

I honestly don't know what else to say. I hope I have made my points clearly. I am a huge fucking hockey fan. I love this sport and it means a lot to me. I have always just felt uncomfortable with the huge salary gaps between individuals who show excellence in a sport, and those who show excellence in other very important fields. I do believe that people lose site of the fact that as much as we live for sports, they are just games. It is a form of entertainment that moves us. The moments you talked about above with your father can be compared to others going to a broadway show or an amazing movie. Hell, I will never forget watching Saving Private Ryan with my grandfather who served in WWII. That was an amazing experience. The movie was still entertainment though. Yes, I can make an argument that it was more than entertainment because it was about history and it created a moment with my family member. At the end of the day, on face value, movies are entertainment, and the actors in the movie are entertainers.

I did my best to explain myself here. Maybe it was just a long ramble, but I feel we both have done that at this point.

barbogast 11-20-2016 08:10 AM

Why can't a damn presidential debate ever feature arguments this well thought out? Well done, guys. Interesting to read both of those posts.

lockman21 11-20-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16646464)
Why can't a damn presidential debate ever feature arguments this well thought out? Well done, guys. Interesting to read both of those posts.

Another reason why the NHL thread is the best.

Greg - I'll respond a little later, but I think we're getting close to an "agree to disagree" point.