Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 08-12-2016 01:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16553057)
Matty - a hockey in Texas update:

I joined a team down here that plays Saturday nights. Skated nearly the entire last game because our defense was so bad. Guys kept just telling me to just stay out there (so many times I skated to the bench to see guys just waving me back out to the ice). Our goalie eventually had to call our timeout because I could barely stand on my skates in the third period. Leaning so heavy on my stick at a faceoff I'm shocked it didn't snap. We lost 4-2, and I had the only goals for our team...as a defensemen. I even had a breakaway (again...as a defensemen). Our team registered 12 shots on goal, and I had 5 of them (AGAIN...AS A DEFENSEMEN). Their team had 42 shots. It was BRUTAL.

I've only played two games and was already asked to wear an "A" when the next league starts. Kinda bizarre to have a men's league team put C's and A's on their sweaters, but whatever. Skill level is literally all over the map. I mean, you always get some sandbaggers playing in lower leagues and guys playing way above their skill level in upper leagues, but the skill discrepancy here is unheard of. One guy literally uses rental skates, and on his line is a dude that played college hockey. Like, what? It's really, really frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I got the puck behind our own net only to see the forwards idea of a breakout is to ALL already be in the neutral zone skating the other way. I constantly have literally no where to pass. I am forced to throw a hail mary away from someone on the other team and off the side boards hoping to connect with someone, or skate it out on my own and hope I can avoid the three guys on the forecheck. I can't tell you how many times I throw that hail mary pass, connect with the guys tape as he's about to cross the blue line, throw a mini-celebration in my head for what I only can imagine is an act of god that allowed me to find that guy's tape...only to have him be unable to handle the pass and we just lose possession...again.

Save me :lol

Sounds like you're having a BLAST. Just think, you could be the mentor these guys never had :)

But seriously, that's a lot of beer league hockey outside of major US hockey hubs. I would say the league I play in here in UT isn't quite as extreme in both directions like yours appears to be, but I definitely empathize with some of the things you've said :lol. For us, it's been the opposite in terms of break outs - forwards are so anxious to help out down low that none of them stay on the points. I have no one to break out to. On a related note, I'm getting better at carrying the puck out of the zone :lol.

In the end, I just have to keep telling myself that hockey is hockey. I simply do not have the time nor the resources to play in more than a beer league, so I may as well learn how to just love and enjoy it for what it is. A couple games back a guy took a run at my little brother (my D partner), and I got to take a good old fashioned run at him, Foote style. Ref had to wrestle me off him, I only got a minor because the ref saw why I did it.... just like old times! #garageleague

Anyways, thanks for the laughs. Hopefully you can keep finding enjoyment in the overall experience pal.

fonzz41 08-15-2016 11:35 AM

Looks like the Ducks win the Vermette sweepstakes.

lockman21 08-15-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16553087)
Sounds like you're having a BLAST. Just think, you could be the mentor these guys never had :)

But seriously, that's a lot of beer league hockey outside of major US hockey hubs. I would say the league I play in here in UT isn't quite as extreme in both directions like yours appears to be, but I definitely empathize with some of the things you've said :lol. For us, it's been the opposite in terms of break outs - forwards are so anxious to help out down low that none of them stay on the points. I have no one to break out to. On a related note, I'm getting better at carrying the puck out of the zone :lol.

In the end, I just have to keep telling myself that hockey is hockey. I simply do not have the time nor the resources to play in more than a beer league, so I may as well learn how to just love and enjoy it for what it is. A couple games back a guy took a run at my little brother (my D partner), and I got to take a good old fashioned run at him, Foote style. Ref had to wrestle me off him, I only got a minor because the ref saw why I did it.... just like old times! #garageleague

Anyways, thanks for the laughs. Hopefully you can keep finding enjoyment in the overall experience pal.

Yup, that's where I'm at. Actually just played a game Saturday with a defenseman that knew what he was doing, and it was so much fun.

DMBstandUP1984 08-16-2016 06:00 AM

what time are they going to announce the Vesey/Bruins signing?

salrx95 08-16-2016 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 16555090)
what time are they going to announce the Vesey/Bruins signing?

I think you meant to say Islanders. Leafs, Isles, Pens and Devils are meeting with Vesey and his reps today.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 06:50 AM

If I was him I think Sabres or Devils make the most sense. Younger teams where he'll get a chance to play and show what he can do. Isles would be just behind them. Rangers and Bruins are teams where I could see him but they both have some key aging players and cap issues and compared to the Sabres and Devils, who in a few years could be very good, I take the younger team. At the end I put the Pens and Hawks. Sounds all great because they are great teams right now but you're not gonna get the ice time you could get elsewhere and you'll never be the big guy getting the big payday.

kev87lads 08-16-2016 07:05 AM

Pretty sure Vesey is signing a one-way deal with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.

fonzz41 08-16-2016 07:06 AM

There's a small cynical part of me that really wants Vesey to just suck.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16555193)

Part of me is that way too. My old school-ness says he should have stayed in Nashville. Don't get too greedy. You get to play hockey for a living. I know it's the way the system is set up but... Justin Schultz played the system that way and it backfired. Sure he won a Cup this year and might be in a good situation but I'm guessing he didn't set out to say "I'm gonna blow in Edmonton, get traded to win a Cup and not get qualifying offer to become a UFA and then not get paid a lot to stay with the team that didn't give me the qualifying offer.

salrx95 08-16-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

I could be on board with that if he doesn't sign with us. But if he is good, there could be a spot next to JT available. That certainly could be enticing to him if he is the real deal.

lockman21 08-16-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16555172)
If I was him I think Sabres or Devils make the most sense. Younger teams where he'll get a chance to play and show what he can do. Isles would be just behind them. Rangers and Bruins are teams where I could see him but they both have some key aging players and cap issues and compared to the Sabres and Devils, who in a few years could be very good, I take the younger team. At the end I put the Pens and Hawks. Sounds all great because they are great teams right now but you're not gonna get the ice time you could get elsewhere and you'll never be the big guy getting the big payday.

Couldn't disagree more.

The kid is signing a 2-year ELC deal. This isn't his big 7 or 8 year contract. He should Brandon Saad this thing and play on the Hawks or Pens for two years and use that to skyrocket his career when he's an UFA that can sign anywhere. THEN go home to a team like the Sabres on a long term deal with big money.

I'd much rather set myself up to play with Toews, Kane, Crosby, etc. on this initial 2-year ELC. Look no further than someone like Saad on how overvalued guys with "playoff experience" can be. Saad is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he benefited big time from playing on a line with Toews/Hossa for a couple years and winning a Cup. Would he have commanded a 6-year, $36 million contract if he didn't? Doubt it. Panarin is going to get PAID, and how much of that is benefit because he played with 88 last year? There will be plenty of time to sign with an up-and-coming team when he's an UFA and this first 2-year ELC deal is done. Right now if I'm him, I'm signing with a winner that has some of the best players on the planet to help me develop my game and pad my stats for my real contract.

He's getting basically the same dollar amount no matter where he goes, why not set yourself up for future success the best you can with this first 2-year deal?

lockman21 08-16-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

I felt that way about Kevin Hayes, too.

In the end, though, he's just a kid, trying to play the cards he's been dealt to his best advantage.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16555333)
Couldn't disagree more.

The kid is signing a 2-year ELC deal. This isn't his big 7 or 8 year contract. He should Brandon Saad this thing and play on the Hawks or Pens for two years and use that to skyrocket his career when he's an UFA that can sign anywhere. THEN go home to a team like the Sabres on a long term deal with big money.

I'd much rather set myself up to play with Toews, Kane, Crosby, etc. on this initial 2-year ELC. Look no further than someone like Saad on how overvalued guys with "playoff experience" can be. Saad is a great player, don't get me wrong, but he benefited big time from playing on a line with Toews/Hossa for a couple years and winning a Cup. Would he have commanded a 6-year, $36 million contract if he didn't? Doubt it. Panarin is going to get PAID, and how much of that is benefit because he played with 88 last year? There will be plenty of time to sign with an up-and-coming team when he's an UFA and this first 2-year ELC deal is done. Right now if I'm him, I'm signing with a winner that has some of the best players on the planet to help me develop my game and pad my stats for my real contract.

He's getting basically the same dollar amount no matter where he goes, why not set yourself up for future success the best you can with this first 2-year deal?

Saad got paid but he also ended up in Columbus which is not where I'd want to be. I get what you're saying but there is also the flip side that maybe he doesn't get the minutes in Chicago that he'd get in BUF or NJ.

~Crashintome89~ 08-16-2016 08:39 AM

so I assume Vesey is a UFA after his two-year ELC, and not a RFA, right?

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16555381)
so I assume Vesey is a UFA after his two-year ELC, and not a RFA, right?

I was under the assumption he was an RFA. Schultz was going to be an RFA if the Pens would have qualified him.

fonzz41 08-16-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16555338)
I felt that way about Kevin Hayes, too.

In the end, though, he's just a kid, trying to play the cards he's been dealt to his best advantage.

Oh yeah, it's nothing personal against Vesey at all. If he's got the opportunity to control his destiny a bit, I don't blame him for doing that.

It's more of just all the NHL media craze around him right now. It's like the team that's signing him is signing the next Gretzky or something. Sheesh.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 10:05 AM

Wings made a pitch to Vesey but apparently "wants to play closer to home." So Boston, NYR, NYI and NJD would be the top candidates based on that. Toronto, Buffalo and PIT would be on the outside.

aeroshady 08-16-2016 10:10 AM

Chris's post about hockey in Texas is exactly why I only play pond hockey now. If I turn out to be the only decent player and have to carry a game, I just leave lol. Men's leagues were killing me slowly, and this is in a New Jersey in the same men's league that John Madden once played in during the lockout in 2005....

Dramageek 08-16-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16555552)
Chris's post about hockey in Texas is exactly why I only play pond hockey now. If I turn out to be the only decent player and have to carry a game, I just leave lol. Men's leagues were killing me slowly, and this is in a New Jersey in the same men's league that John Madden once played in during the lockout in 2005....

For a second I forgot he was a player for the Devils and I envisioned the football John Madden trying to play hockey. :lol

lockman21 08-16-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16555538)
Wings made a pitch to Vesey but apparently "wants to play closer to home." So Boston, NYR, NYI and NJD would be the top candidates based on that. Toronto, Buffalo and PIT would be on the outside.

Which will make it even more hilarious when he signs with the Hawks.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 12:12 PM

Sens will retire Alfie's number in December before a game against...the Wings.

jrkarger 08-16-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16555538)

Pens meeting with him (or at least his reps) this week apparently.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/p...s/201608160140

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...penguins-among

lockman21 08-16-2016 12:27 PM

I just want it to be over. Just sign and move on.

TMoore4075 08-16-2016 12:29 PM

If after all this he signs in Boston like we all sorta expected....

lockman21 08-16-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16555804)
If after all this he signs in Boston like we all sorta expected....

I always wonder where this hype actually generates from, if this is his agent, the media, him, teams...

kev87lads 08-16-2016 12:49 PM

So he hasn't signed with the Phantoms yet? My sources must have been led a different way this time.

salrx95 08-17-2016 10:45 AM

Rangers supposedly had some of their celebrities talk to or message Vesey today per twitter. Isles had or, more likely, he volunteered, Tavares be in Boston as part of the contingent to recruit Vesey. What do you think holds more value?

DMBstandUP1984 08-17-2016 11:42 AM

Vesey to Boston

woop!

can the kid play?

DMBstandUP1984 08-17-2016 11:48 AM

Never mind, not in Boston yet.

TMoore4075 08-17-2016 01:11 PM

Bettman re. advertising not coming to NHL sweaters: "I am a believer in the history, tradition and exactly how special NHL sweaters are."

Ya know, until we get a huge offer that makes me change my mind.