Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 05-27-2016 07:49 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

See Toronto, Kessel is good with a team around him. He's not expected to be the main guy and he can excel.

Lcsulla 05-27-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16439880)
Their net front presence is what scares me. I just dont think they will be able to skate with the Pens as the ladder part of this series gets going.

Daley will be sorely missed in this series, Pens D needs to be very active and focus on making the simple plays and get the puck out of their zone. Shot blocking has been great and needs to be even better in this series.

As far as Murray's mindset, thats probably at the bottom of the list of things Im worried about.

Yeah, that would be a big concern of mine as well. They have guys like Burns, Thornton, Couture and Marleu who can rifle a shot through traffic with guys like Ward and Pavelski who can tap home or deflect in seemingly anything.

I agree not having Daley is a tough break because the way San Jose plays they are going to have to take more blue line shots and the Sharks are an extremely efficient defensive team who just chucks loose pucks out like trash. They are also a very disciplined team that just doesn't take many dumb penalties at all. Going to be a very interesting series and I doubt it will be decided in less than 6 games.

As for skating as the series wears on, I highly doubt that is a concern of the Sharks. The 'experts' said they couldn't skate with LA and they blew the Kings out. They weren't supposed to be as quick and motivated as Nashville but they beat them pretty solidly. They were supposed to be outskated and outhit but the Blues but they took care of business in 6 games so they will be well rested for this series.

Their power play if lethal and their PK is damn solid. Their coaching is great and Deboer knows what matchups he wants. You know I am a Chicago fan and the Hawks despite losing are a really good team who would probably have advanced if Toews had gotten a single goal, not having Keith for a game and losing Shaw for a game probably put the nail in the coffin. I will be honest with you, I would be very wary of San Jose because they are playing so well in every aspect of the game and you know they are motivated because a lot of those guys have been with SJ for a long time and to win a cup in their 25th season is even more motivation. Frankly, they way the Sharks are playing I would not write them off at all, they really are that fucking good.

Alazais 05-27-2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16439943)
See Toronto, Kessel is good with a team around him. He's not expected to be the main guy and he can excel.

Everyone expected him to excel on that team. That wasn't even a question; the guy is an elite offensive talent. I secretly hoped he was super shitty and failed miserably and was the sole purpose the Penguins got knocked out of the first round but I knew he'd produce for them.

For the Leafs, they knew they had to start the rebuild properly and he was too good to ensure they get the 1st overall pick. That jerk would steal 5-6 games easily and give them less of a chance to draft in the first spot. In many regards it was addition by subtraction to give us a chance to be the worst.

I don't care for the return we got for him. I think the penguins won that trade. I like Kapanen, I think he's a Kadri type of player and under Babcock (if he listens to him) can develop into a quality player, and the first round pick (29th ovr) the leafs will package with a couple of their 22 picks over the next two drafts and move up in the first round (late teens, I'd expect).

I hate Kessel as a person, he was fat and lazy and if he gave a shit could have been one of the best players in the world, but I hope he does well and think it would be cool to see him lift the cup.

fonzz41 05-27-2016 08:17 AM

The Sharks haven't yet played as fast a team as the Penns.

On the other hand, the Penns haven't played a team that plays as well as a team as the Sharks do.

So all in all, it'll be a great series. Evenly matched. I'm going to say Sharks in 7. I'd be fine with either team winning (which is a great way to watch the Finals, BTW), but giving a slight edge to the Sharks, simply because I love their team-oriented system and because they've got some graybeards who I want to see get a Cup. But I definitely won't be breaking furniture if the Penns take it.

Dramageek 05-27-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16440029)

On the other hand, the Penns haven't met a team that plays as well as a team as the Sharks do.

So all in all, it'll be a great series. I'm going to say Sharks in 7. I'd be fine with either team winning (which is a great way to watch the Finals, BTW), but giving a slight edge to the Sharks, simply because I love their team-oriented system and because they've got some graybeards who I want to see get a Cup. But I definitely won't be breaking furniture if the Penns take it.

The series really is a toss-up. Both teams are really dangerous. And who would've thought Martin Jones and Matt Murray would be the starting goaltenders for the Cup Final teams? Which one will withstand the pressure? Matt Murray doesn't look like he'd be fazed if a nuclear bomb went off down the street.

Burns scares the shit out of me with the way he can produce. Top to bottom this series will be two heavyweight teams trading blows. Even if you hate one or the other, or both, it should still be great hockey.

hailtopitt 05-27-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16439327)
And Rust was just held there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16439332)
Cry me a fucking river...idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16439376)
Yet the biggest tools are the ones cheering for Pittsburg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 16439394)
Can't believe Pens are going to win on that bullshit puck luck soft ass goal. God I hate them. Go Sharks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16439396)
Pens didn't deserve shit. Worst team to come out of East since Canes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16439398)
Take that back, worst team to come out of East since '10 Flyers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16439419)
Vasi was so much fun to watch all series. Dude's a stud.

Funny how Penns have gotten all the puck luck bounces all postseason, and it's the way they advance

ahhhhhh yesssss i love the hate....it feeds me, it fuels me...i wanna bathe in it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16439819)
Jesus Christ, that backread makes me wanna root for the Pens just so it gives Brohan an aneurysm. What a fucking melt :lol

solid melt for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16439937)
Phil Kessel's new nickname- prince of whales.

:lol:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16440029)

On the other hand, the Penns haven't played a team that plays as well as a team as the Sharks do.

So all in all, it'll be a great series. Evenly matched. I'm going to say Sharks in 7. I'd be fine with either team winning (which is a great way to watch the Finals, BTW), but giving a slight edge to the Sharks, simply because I love their team-oriented system and because they've got some graybeards who I want to see get a Cup. But I definitely won't be breaking furniture if the Penns take it.

a nice little story line will be Paul Martin getting back to the finals against his old team. i see a standing ovation coming for Paul Martin in Pittsburgh. really happy for him, but i hate him for the next 2 weeks

Dramageek 05-27-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16440067)
ahhhhhh yesssss i love the hate....it feeds me, it fuels me...i wanna bathe in it

solid melt for sure.

a nice little story line will be Paul Martin getting back to the finals against his old team. i see a standing ovation coming for Paul Martin in Pittsburgh. really happy for him, but i hate him for the next 2 weeks

Brohan's melt was fantastic. I tried not to respond, but my discipline failed me at times.

And yes, good for Paul Martin. I'm happy to see him doing well. But I'd like to see him do poorly for the next two weeks.

TMoore4075 05-27-2016 09:03 AM

I did not back read and am I happier man for it.

BeyondKnight 05-27-2016 10:10 AM

Slap Shot is on HDNet movies and I am happier man for that.

"Come on dummy you won the game, pick up your trophy"

Dramageek 05-27-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16440269)
Slap Shot is on HDNet movies and I am happier man for that.

"Come on dummy you won the game, pick up your trophy"

Nice! "Hey Hanrahan! Hanrahan! Hanrahan - Suzanne sucks pussy! Hey Hanrahan she's a dyke! I know, I know! She's a lesbian, a lesbian, a lesbian!"

TMoore4075 05-27-2016 10:55 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/brown-told-he-s-no...ptain-1.496802

Ouch.

dmbetc 05-27-2016 11:06 AM

Not surprised but I feel sick to my stomach.

barbogast 05-27-2016 11:14 AM

Oh, goodie. The Penns are in the SCF. What a time to be alive.

hailtopitt 05-27-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16440382)
Oh, goodie. The Penns are in the SCF. What a time to be alive.

they've truly run the gauntlet though

Lundqvist (admittedly not at his best)
Holtby (Vezina front-runner)
Vasilevskiy (young stud)

and Murray is still standing....this team is unbelievable

win or lose in the SCF, at least the Pens are now a team the city can get behind and be proud of. been a crazy 4-5 months for this team

barbogast 05-27-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16440394)
they've truly run the gauntlet though

Lundqvist (admittedly not at his best)
Holtby (Vezina front-runner)
Vasilevskiy (young stud)

and Murray is still standing....this team is unbelievable

win or lose in the SCF, at least the Pens are now a team the city can get behind and be proud of. been a crazy 4-5 months for this team

I guess. The Penns have been good. That's about as nice as I can be :lol

Seriously though, they have. And it sucks. Go sharks.

JRS1386 05-27-2016 11:25 AM

Go Sharks, eat those Pens

hailtopitt 05-27-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16440399)
I guess. The Penns have been good. That's about as nice as I can be :lol

Seriously though, they have. And it sucks. Go sharks.

i'll take it :lol

hailtopitt 05-27-2016 11:27 AM

i wish the old Civic Arena was still around

SCF would be a battle between the Shark Tank and the Igloo...the 2 best hockey arena nicknames ever

dmbetc 05-27-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16440364)
Not surprised but I feel sick to my stomach.

I guess the positive is he probably won't be traded this summer. I'd think they wouldn't strip him of captaincy then trade. At least one more year as a King..then on to expansion draft.

jrkarger 05-27-2016 11:32 AM

I don't follow the Kings closely at all. Why did they do that if they aren't trading him?

barbogast 05-27-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16440411)
i wish the old Civic Arena was still around

SCF would be a battle between the Shark Tank and the Igloo...the 2 best hockey arena nicknames ever

Man that would've been awesome

dmbetc 05-27-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16440419)
I don't follow the Kings closely at all. Why did they do that if they aren't trading him?

I guess to me if they were trading him they would just trade him. Why take away his captaincy then trade him?

He won't be a King for long, but I don't see a trade this summer. Listen, I'm trying to be positive over here! :lorraine

TMoore4075 05-27-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16440415)
I guess the positive is he probably won't be traded this summer. I'd think they wouldn't strip him of captaincy then trade. At least one more year as a King..then on to expansion draft.

Well at least he won't be far from LA if that happens.
Quote:

Yeah it could backfire this year. Had to be awkward in Dallas when Modano lost the C to Morrow.

jrkarger 05-27-2016 11:39 AM

I guess I was curious why they did it period (without thinking of a possible trade).

dmbetc 05-27-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16440427)
I guess I was curious why they did it period (without thinking of a possible trade).

They gotta change up this team. Kopitar deserves it but it pains me to see this happen to Dustin, especially after such a frustrating season coming off an off season of such great results that didn't translate on ice.

If his contract wasn't such a monster he would be traded no doubt. Hes a great fit for the expansion team.

I have no insider info, I don't know what to say to him.

space_raven 05-27-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

The Sharks did the same with Joe Thornton a few years ago.

salrx95 05-27-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16440353)

What's more ouch is that contract of his . Can you say hideous? Buyout coming before that deal is up.

barbogast 05-27-2016 12:47 PM

I didn't realize quite how bad Dustin's contract is. Yeesh, that's tough. I also didn't realize it's been 8 years since he became captain of the Kings. My lord time flies.

kev87lads 05-27-2016 01:43 PM

Go Sharks.

Lcsulla 05-27-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 16440438)
The Sharks did the same with Joe Thornton a few years ago.

and Marleau a few years before that....