Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 02-06-2015 11:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Also, agree with the Flyers fans that Simmonds shouldn't be there. He excels in his complimentary role with that team. That's exactly what you want from him.

~Crashintome89~ 02-06-2015 11:14 AM

Oh, I also forgot Jason Spezza.

Absolutely Jason Spezza.

~Crashintome89~ 02-06-2015 11:15 AM

And Simmonds is having a down year points wise. The Flyers powerplay went through a dry spell, and at even strength Simmonds has been on something like 14 different line combos.

barbogast 02-06-2015 11:18 AM

Me no thinks that author hockeys very much

Roose13 02-06-2015 11:18 AM

I just don't get how a down year equates to "overrated." I think a better word, and I could be reaching here, is disappointing. But I don't know a damn thing about words.

~Crashintome89~ 02-06-2015 11:24 AM

Yeah zip it bro, you're not a writer. THAT guy is a writer. Know your role

And shut your mouth....

hailtopitt 02-06-2015 11:38 AM

i miss Brooks Orpik :(

lockman21 02-06-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 15807101)
Usa today most overrated NHL players. Agree with this list. Sutter has been awful since the playoffs last year. Brooks Orpik has awful advanced stats, Quick hasn't been himself at all this year, same goes for Simmonds.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/nhl-...rdi-sutter-ott

Does that guy read this thread? He basically stole my argument with Quick.

HEY GUY! GET OUT OF THIS THREAD.

TheLastPig 02-06-2015 12:30 PM

Mark my words now. I love Orpik, but you won't be saying the same thing about him next year. you'll be regretting that deal. It's amazing that so many Caps fans I know covet Brooks more than Niskanen. Nisky was a huge pickup for you guys but he seems to not get any credit

TheLastPig 02-06-2015 12:32 PM

Really hoping the Penguins go after Winnik or Bergenheim.

They have Beau Bennett as a healthy scratch for the 3rd straight game. Doesn't make any sense unless he's being shopped.

TMoore4075 02-06-2015 01:00 PM

For Matty: Wings play the Yotes tomorrow. An audition for Yandle maybe??? lol

Roose13 02-06-2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15807206)
Yeah zip it bro, you're not a writer. THAT guy is a writer. Know your role

And shut your mouth....

I smell what you're cooking.

~Crashintome89~ 02-06-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 15807421)
Really hoping the Penguins go after Winnik or Bergenheim.

They have Beau Bennett as a healthy scratch for the 3rd straight game. Doesn't make any sense unless he's being shopped.

yeah dude, no one cares...

TheLastPig 02-06-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15807516)
yeah dude, no one cares...

sorry, thought this was an NHL discussion thread. Not a Flyers message board.

barbogast 02-06-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 15807543)
sorry, thought this was an NHL discussion thread. Not a Flyers message board.

Don't mind him. He is a Flyers fan after all

barbogast 02-06-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 15807416)
Mark my words now. I love Orpik, but you won't be saying the same thing about him next year. you'll be regretting that deal. It's amazing that so many Caps fans I know covet Brooks more than Niskanen. Nisky was a huge pickup for you guys but he seems to not get any credit

As for this, next year is next year. I personally think his play now will stay at this level for at least one more season, but that's beside the point. Right now, he's been one of several things that's worked well from the Cap's offseason.

And no one isn't giving Nisky credit. Come on.

socopithy 02-06-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15807593)
As for this, next year is next year. I personally think his play now will stay at this level for at least one more season, but that's beside the point. Right now, he's been one of several things that's worked well from the Cap's offseason.

Who? :D:lol

TheLastPig 02-06-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15807593)

I don't listen to DC talk radio, but I have a good amount of friends who are Caps fans and none of them ever talk about Niskanen.

barbogast 02-06-2015 01:59 PM

Well, Caps fans can be kinda dumb. If you read enough stuff online and watch enough NHL network, you'll see him talked about in the same light as Orpik. He's been equally important

fonzz41 02-06-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15807499)
For Matty: Wings play the Yotes tomorrow. An audition for Yandle maybe??? lol

You shut your mouth.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 15807602)
I don't listen to DC talk radio, but I have a good amount of friends who are Caps fans and none of them ever talk about Niskanen.

A sure sign a defenseman is doing his job well.

Orpik is a great addition to any team, as long as you take him for what he's worth, which is a strong, stable, stay-at-home 3-4 defenseman who will be a good leader on and off the ice. If you bill him as your #1 guy and expect him to play big minutes all night against another team's top line and pitch in on the PP, you might be overselling him a bit. I think when the money the Caps gave Orpik came up, people started to expect a little more of him. It's not that he won't attempt to play up to those salarial expectations, but his skillset just plain and simple may not allow him to. As long as people realize that and accept it, they'll love having him on their team.

Thankfully, Washington has the defensive depth to allow Orpik to play where he should in the lineup.

barbogast 02-06-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15807774)
You shut your mouth.

A sure sign a defenseman is doing his job well.

Orpik is a great addition to any team, as long as you take him for what he's worth, which is a strong, stable, stay-at-home 3-4 defenseman who will be a good leader on and off the ice. If you bill him as your #1 guy and expect him to play big minutes all night against another team's top line and pitch in on the PP, you might be overselling him a bit. I think when the money the Caps gave Orpik came up, people started to expect a little more of him. It's not that he won't attempt to play up to those salarial expectations, but his skillset just plain and simple may not allow him to. As long as people realize that and accept it, they'll love having him on their team.

Thankfully, Washington has the defensive depth to allow Orpik to play where he should in the lineup.

How weird does that sound?

rustysurf83 02-06-2015 06:07 PM

Patrick Kane is just ridiculous.

aeroshady 02-06-2015 07:08 PM

Okay, I'll take Quick over Lundqvist right now.

TheLastPig 02-06-2015 08:33 PM

MAF back to back shutouts for the 2nd time this season.

lockman21 02-06-2015 08:49 PM

Patty Kane tied for league lead in points.

Bias or not, he is the most fun player to watch in the NHL. And it's really not even close.

~Crashintome89~ 02-06-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15807609)
Well, Caps fans can be kinda dumb.

Duh, Brohan.

Brohan_Santana 02-07-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15808309)
Duh, Brohan.

Hey now.

Thing with Niskanen is you can equate at least 2 loses directly to his play. Not saying he has directly attributed to any wins but I can point at 2 loses that were outright his fault.

Both Orpik and Niskanen have been great so far to Caps. Interesting thing is going to see what happens with Green. He's been playing very very well most recently. I don't see him being moved purposefully but I'm sure the Caps will entertain offers from the likes of Red Wings. They've been infatuated with him for a couple of years now. But ultimately the way he's been playing recently and the position where the Caps have been playing Green most likely will be staying with the Caps. Only way Green stays with the Caps is if he takes a hometown discount but I doubt he'll do that even though he has a cult following in Washington.

If Caps didn't burn bridges with Jagr he would be a great addition to the Caps top line. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr line would be the tits. Caps have yet to find a RW to fit the bill on that top line. McPhee is gone who hated Jagr. But I could also see Leonsis wanting to prove he was right. You never know

Brohan_Santana 02-07-2015 07:55 AM

Also, Grubauer down to Hershey again. Just in time for the game I'll be at tomorrow evening. He'll be up again at Washington soon enough. Peters has proved he's only an emergency option. Just looks rattled in the net.

TheLastPig 02-07-2015 09:00 AM

Jagr is coming back to Pittsburgh. Book it.

barbogast 02-07-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 15808474)
Thing with Niskanen is you can equate at least 2 loses directly to his play. Not saying he has directly attributed to any wins but I can point at 2 loses that were outright his fault.

I hate this. One play, no matter how bone headed, is never the reason a game is won or lost. I'm pretty sure I know the games you're talking about, and Nisky's dumb mistake at the end, while glaring, isn't the sole reason those games were lost.

Quote:

Both Orpik and Niskanen have been great so far to Caps. Interesting thing is going to see what happens with Green. He's been playing very very well most recently. I don't see him being moved purposefully but I'm sure the Caps will entertain offers from the likes of Red Wings. They've been infatuated with him for a couple of years now. But ultimately the way he's been playing recently and the position where the Caps have been playing Green most likely will be staying with the Caps. Only way Green stays with the Caps is if he takes a hometown discount but I doubt he'll do that even though he has a cult following in Washington.
Actually agree with most of this. I don't think the Caps will move him, in fact GMBM has said that unless he finds something that makes the team better now, Green will stay. Which I think is the right call. While it seems unlikely they'll strike a new deal after the season, trading a valuable piece now for picks and prospects sends the wrong message to the room. And quite frankly having Mike Green playing at the level he has been as a #5 dman has been quite luxurious this year. If it means he walks for nothing, so be it. I feel better about the Caps chances in postseason than I have for a very long time, so I say roll with it.

Quote:

If Caps didn't burn bridges with Jagr he would be a great addition to the Caps top line. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Jagr line would be the tits. Caps have yet to find a RW to fit the bill on that top line. McPhee is gone who hated Jagr. But I could also see Leonsis wanting to prove he was right. You never know
Oh my god, no. Just. No.

Personally, I think Tom Wilson should've stayed in that spot. Eric Fehr has had an underrated year as well. Obviously those aren't huge caliber names, but I really think Wilson fits nicely with that line.