Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

unccrombie 01-23-2015 08:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

speaking of the skills competition. yes please

http://gizmodo.com/the-nhl-will-use-...isi-1681354857

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 08:48 AM

For the most part the skills competition is better. Some of the events recently have become lame when they start putting hats and capes and shit on. That's just dumb.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 08:58 AM

While I get that the ASG needs stars like Crosby, I'm completely empathetic to them wanting to take the time off if they are injured. It's not about being "able" to play or not, it's about getting rest required to heal. The ASG break, frankly, is a great time to do that. Now, faking an injury just to get some rest or not go? That's low. But a legitimate injury? Yeah, take the time off to hopefully prep for the last half of the season.

I remember Lidstrom doing this (I wanna say more than once? Tim?), and people not batting an eye. Perhaps that's just indicative of the respect Lidstrom had garnered compared to Crosby.

And yes, the events surrounding the game are much more entertaining than the game itself. I love the skillls competition. I even love the lighthearted atmosphere of the fantasy draft. It's fun, and a great addition that other sports are even starting to copy.

But the game? Bleh. The NHL really needs to start listening to my idea about moving it to the pre-season and having the Cup champs play a team of All-Stars. :cool ;)

unccrombie 01-23-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783302)
While I get that the ASG needs stars like Crosby, I'm completely empathetic to them wanting to take the time off if they are injured. It's not about being "able" to play or not, it's about getting rest required to heal. The ASG break, frankly, is a great time to do that. Now, faking an injury just to get some rest or not go? That's low. But a legitimate injury? Yeah, take the time off to hopefully prep for the last half of the season.

I remember Lidstrom doing this (I wanna say more than once? Tim?), and people not batting an eye. Perhaps that's just indicative of the respect Lidstrom had garnered compared to Crosby.

And yes, the events surrounding the game are much more entertaining than the game itself. I love the skillls competition. I even love the lighthearted atmosphere of the fantasy draft. It's fun, and a great addition that other sports are even starting to copy.

But the game? Bleh. The NHL really needs to start listening to my idea about moving it to the pre-season and having the Cup champs play a team of All-Stars. :cool ;)

or make it international in some way

swordo84 01-23-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15783282)

Very cool!

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

I only remember him backing out once being injured and then he said he wasn't going to the events cause wanted stay home and rest, so he got suspended for the following game after the break.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783335)
I only remember him backing out once being injured and then he said he wasn't going to the events cause wanted stay home and rest, so he got suspended for the following game after the break.

Ah yes, that's what it is. And I seem to remember no one being particularly upset with Nick (outside of the NHL).

kev87lads 01-23-2015 09:31 AM

Holy hell. I know we've seen similar videos before. Those GoPro vids were sweet. But my god. The hands on these players. The stickhandling. The speed. It's absolutely mind boggling. Especially if you've ever played any dek, roller, or ice hockey. Incredible......

lockman21 01-23-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Here's my idea. You and I are captains. We pick teams, and skate the entire game. NO SHIFTS OFF.

The only goals that count are the ones that you and I score. It's a full game of Toews, Kane, Seguin, etc. just trying to set you and I up while we whiff on one timers and throw Dion Phaneuf-esque shots high and wide constantly. "SORRY GUYS! I'LL GET THE NEXT ONE!"

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15783344)
Ah yes, that's what it is. And I seem to remember no one being particularly upset with Nick (outside of the NHL).

I don't remember, but probably not. I'm sure most of it is cause there is a hate for Crosby (some warranted and some not) that Lidstrom didn't have, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

fonzz41 01-23-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15783405)
Here's my idea. You and I are captains. We pick teams, and skate the entire game. NO SHIFTS OFF.

The only goals that count are the ones that you and I score. It's a full game of Toews, Kane, Seguin, etc. just trying to set you and I up while we whiff on one timers and throw Dion Phaneuf-esque shots high and wide constantly. "SORRY GUYS! I'LL GET THE NEXT ONE!"

Yep. YEP. YEPPPPPPPPP. This is clearly the ONLY good idea. :lol

Despite the fact that I would be massively embarrassing myself on every shot attempt, of course.

Back in high school, there was this AHLer who we were friends with who was rehabbing an injury during the offseason, so my dad and I invited him to come out and play a couple games in our summer league, just to get back on his skates. He told me before the first game, "we're gonna embarrass your dad by getting you a ton of goals tonight. Just skate to the net with your stick on the ice and I'll take care of the rest."

I did so, and throughout the game he then proceeded to deflect pucks OFF MY STICK AND INTO THE NET. I did NOTHING in terms of shooting or stick work. He'd be at like the top of a face-off circle and saucer one off my stick and in for the goal. "I" scored like 6 goals that night from him doing that.

And this guy was a career minor leaguer. I'd love to see what 19!19!19!19! could do for my game.

barbogast 01-23-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15783283)
For the most part the skills competition is better. Some of the events recently have become lame when they start putting hats and capes and shit on. That's just dumb.

Agreed. And if I remember correctly I feel like they've recently made a change to one of the classics, I think it's accuracy shooting, and they've made it real dumb. Can't remember exactly why though, just remember it was weird last year and I didn't like it.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 11:40 AM

there has not been an all star game for several years.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15783579)

yea, 3 olympics and 2 lockouts since '05 so the ASG has been few and far between in the last decade

barbogast 01-23-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15783282)

Awesome. The clip where Tyler Seguin is stick handling three pucks around each other and still making all 3 move forward at the same speed.

:eek

barbogast 01-23-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15783579)

Maybe that's why I don't remember what it was. I remember they made a change I wasn't a fan of and I believe it was to accuracy shooting.

barbogast 01-23-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15783593)
yea, 3 olympics and 2 lockouts since '05 so the ASG has been few and far between in the last decade

Another reason why Crosby's only played in one, amirite?

;)

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15783605)
Another reason why Crosby's only played in one, amirite?

;)

yup

#ProtectYourAssests

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 11:59 AM

crosby thinks he's above the game, reminds me a lot of tom brady.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15783631)
crosby thinks he's above the game, reminds me a lot of tom brady.

call him a whiner all you want, but this just isn't even close to true

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 12:05 PM

no he hasn't been caught cheating yet, ill give him that, but he's a little bit of a whiner.

bradshaw06 01-23-2015 12:18 PM

What a dumb thing to say.

Crosby has been getting injections to treat an injury suffered January 10 against the Habs. Playing through an injury and not playing in the asg= above the game and a whiner.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 12:24 PM

it's not just this one situation. he's played in one asg ever, i didn't think anyone disputed he's a whiner on the ice. constantly bitching at the refs.

bradshaw06 01-23-2015 12:30 PM

Everyone bitches at the refs.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15783692)
Everyone bitches at the refs.

you're fighting a losing battle...

clearly everyone bitches at the refs, but crosby is so high profile that he's the only one that ever gets talked about

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 12:36 PM

you guys actually sound exactly like patriots fans :lol

Rebecca De Mornay 01-23-2015 12:37 PM

guess this is what happens to the fanbases of good regular season teams.

hailtopitt 01-23-2015 12:59 PM

didn't know Becca was so good at trolling

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 01:00 PM

He's better than he used to be but sorry guys he's one of the top guys who bitches about clean hits. But it's ok if he's cross checking a guy in the back or sucker punching a guy while he has no way to defend him. He's not the only one who does this but he's one of the bigger ones and yeah, being high profile doesn't help. But the spotlights on you and that's the reality when it is. It's also part of the reality of the generation of hockey players coming up. They bitch over every hit whether it's dirty or not.

TMoore4075 01-23-2015 01:04 PM

Anyone else read this?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12...ughter-illness

Damn. Things like this make me realize how lucky I was with my son.