Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 05-14-2014 08:45 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 15326541)
They play beautiful hockey. That they have to depend on luck is why the NHL doesn't matter to anyone. I'll see you guys next May.

That's if your team gets out of the first round.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 08:49 AM

I don't get this luck thing at all. Yes there is some luck in it, but that's all sports. A bounce on a rim one way or another in basketball. A tipped pass in football that happens to land in a guys arms. The Pens lost because they didn't play well.

barbogast 05-14-2014 08:55 AM

I think we're all pretty much saying the same thing about luck, it can obviously be a factor, sometimes big, sometimes small, and it happens in all sports. And sometimes the worse team wins because they got lucky. But you certainly can't just get lucky all the way to a Cup. Or even a playoff series win, usually

edit: and luck wasn't the factor in this series. Excellent goaltending from Lundqvist, lack of superstarness from Sid, and not enough depth from the Pens. Those were the factors

fonzz41 05-14-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15326898)
I don't get this luck thing at all. Yes there is some luck in it, but that's all sports. A bounce on a rim one way or another in basketball. A tipped pass in football that happens to land in a guys arms. The Pens lost because they didn't play well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15326929)
I think we're all pretty much saying the same thing about luck, it can obviously be a factor, sometimes big, sometimes small, and it happens in all sports. And sometimes the worse team wins because they got lucky. But you certainly can't just get lucky all the way to a Cup. Or even a playoff series win, usually

edit: and luck wasn't the factor in this series. Excellent goaltending from Lundqvist, lack of superstarness from Sid, and not enough depth from the Pens. Those were the factors

Boom.

/luck talk
Quote:

They play beautiful hockey. That they have to depend on luck is why the NHL doesn't matter to anyone. I'll see you guys next May.

Welp, see ya later.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15326929)

It wasn't luck that Sid didn't score. It was a good plan to shut him down.

So here we are boys and girl, game 7 and a possible clincher. Hoping for Ducks and while I'd like the Habs for the sake of someone different in the ECF's, I hate them with a passion, so I guess it's Bruins by default.

UCFish 05-14-2014 09:15 AM

Hope Shaw gets healthy before the next series.

Also hope Patrick Sharp wakes up and stops being a ghost.

rlpi100 05-14-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15326995)
Hope Shaw gets healthy before the next series.

Also hope Patrick Sharp wakes up and stops being a ghost.

Nordstrom being in the lineup is a killer. Shaw needs to come back asap.

Is it bad that a part of me really wanted Toews to steal the puck from Sharp and take it in himself?

lockman21 05-14-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Oh no! Don't go!

/sarcasm

UCFish 05-14-2014 09:20 AM

Not bad at all.....Sharp is in a major funk

bradshaw06 05-14-2014 09:28 AM

man, still so disappointed about last night. awful.

Fire bylsma and shero into the sun. DB will probably end up with the nucks.

Hire whoever.

Trade Letang, Try and get rid of Scuderi, Adams, and other dead weight.

Let Glass, Orpik etc walk.

Look into better options at goalie. Fleury had a better postseason, but he still is bad.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 09:33 AM

Still wish that little fucker would have let Lidstrom score.

So we thinking Trotz there? or in DC? Those would be my best bets for him.

bradshaw06 05-14-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327059)

I think it depends, if Shero stays, i expect Trotz to coach the pens. If Shero goes, it is all up in the air and depends on whoever is new gm

lockman21 05-14-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15327014)
Not bad at all.....Sharp is in a major funk

It's OK. This is just Patrick Sharp. He's been a streaky player his entire career. I have full faith Sharp is going to be one of the best players in this next series.

fonzz41 05-14-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327059)

We've joked about Trotz to DC and what that would do to Ovie. If it happened, and he could get Ovie to buy into the way he coaches, he will be hailed as the Jesus Christ of the NHL.

Trotz to Pittsburgh would be a good idea, I think. I look at what he was able to do with the types of rosters he had over the years in Nashville, and you have to be encouraged at the idea of him working with Pittsburgh's bottom 6.

Rebecca De Mornay 05-14-2014 10:11 AM

Im thinking Torts to Pittsburgh. Let's see what a real meltdown looks like, then once there is absolutely no remnants of an NHL franchise left they can start to rebuild.

edit: kind of like what they're doing in Vancouver

AJF_41 05-14-2014 10:13 AM

vanek to the wild?

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJF_41 (Post 15327157)
vanek to the wild?

That's been rumored for like a year. Trains there doesn't he in the summer? I'd be happy for him to not be in the Atlantic.

UNC41 05-14-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJF_41 (Post 15327157)
vanek to the wild?

Nooooooooooooooooo. Far too many quality young guys who will need contracts soon. Adding another big ticket vet is an awful idea.

wampa3 05-14-2014 10:34 AM

A rumor just got started by somebody that Mike Keenan's name was brought up to coach in Pittsburgh. Gawd.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNC41 (Post 15327225)
Nooooooooooooooooo. Far too many quality young guys who will need contracts soon. Adding another big ticket vet is an awful idea.

My guess...it's the Wild or he stays in Montreal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15327228)
A rumor just got started by somebody that Mike Keenan's name was brought up to coach in Pittsburgh. Gawd.

Keenan is the Torts of the 90's. He gets old real quick.

~Crashintome89~ 05-14-2014 10:36 AM

I wonder if Montreal wins tonight and/or Vanek steps up big in the next rounds, he'll stay in Montreal. Let's face it, the Wild might not be committed to that type of money for Vanek after such a disappointing end to the season. Montreal needs a scoring threat, a legit sniper and Vanek fills that role.

wampa3 05-14-2014 10:38 AM

Rumblings from "sources" about Pens owners talks. Spoilers: somebody will be fired

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz31iEr4clV

fonzz41 05-14-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNC41 (Post 15327225)

I totally agree. With what they've got in place, signing another big FA vet does not seem appropriate. Maybe if it was for shorter term (i.e., before the entry levels expire on some of these young guys), but I doubt Vanek would be looking for that.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15327240)
Rumblings from "sources" about Pens owners talks. Spoilers: somebody will be fired

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz31iEr4clV

Shocker!
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15327241)
I totally agree. With what they've got in place, signing another big FA vet does not seem appropriate. Maybe if it was for shorter term (i.e., before the entry levels expire on some of these young guys), but I doubt Vanek would be looking for that.

I agree but this is pro sports where these guys love the big signing. Plus it's been rumored for a while that they wanted him. I agree it does't make sense, and he fits better with the Habs but....big name press conference.

UNC41 05-14-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327229)
My guess...it's the Wild or he stays in Montreal.

Ohh I think it's likely he ends up here. I just really hope it doesn't happen.

fonzz41 05-14-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327253)
I agree but this is pro sports where these guys love the big signing. Plus it's been rumored for a while that they wanted him. I agree it does't make sense, and he fits better with the Habs but....big name press conference.

Oh I know, my friend. I'm sure he'll get 7 years/$60 million from them, and then proceed to score 18 goals next season.

TMoore4075 05-14-2014 11:03 AM

Someone we're not talking about Ryan Callahan. I'd take him on the Wings and replace Alfie. Of course he wants scoring winger money but....

fonzz41 05-14-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15327152)
Im thinking Torts to Pittsburgh. Let's see what a real meltdown looks like, then once there is absolutely no remnants of an NHL franchise left they can start to rebuild.

edit: kind of like what they're doing in Vancouver

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 15327228)

Head coach: Keenan
Assistant: Torts
Big offseason FA signing: Sean Avery

Commence detonation

~Crashintome89~ 05-14-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327323)
Someone we're not talking about Ryan Callahan. I'd take him on the Wings and replace Alfie. Of course he wants scoring winger money but....

Tampa seems very keen on retaining him, I think he stays.

fonzz41 05-14-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15327323)

Yeah, you have to think he'll be on a lot of radars, even before Vanek. I'd take him on my team any day, just perhaps not at the cash he'll be looking for. I heard he dug his time in Tampa and will definitely consider staying. They are building a solid core, especially with the emergence of their rooks and Victor Hedman finally growing into his game. Not to mention Bishop and that young captain they have.