Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What songs are noticeably getting worse live/ what songs are still strong (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=359140)

captain40 11-04-2022 10:08 PM

What songs are noticeably getting worse live/ what songs are still strong

I would like to talk about the elephant in the room which is the performance of some songs decreasing due to age of the band/Boyd-less. Obviously they’re still rockin out and it all still is amazing but what is one song that is noticeably worse these days and what is one song that you think they still perform amazingly? (A positive note)

For my song that is getting painful to listen to it is by far Nancies. this is one of my favorite songs ever (like most) but man it’s getting rough. The intro is soulless, Dave whimpers through the first hook and verse I’m not sure why it’s hard for him to sing because it is not a vocally demanding song and the whole first 2 minutes is just super quiet. Also they just have not figured out the Boyd fills, this was a Boyd heavy song and gave it such depth and intensity but between each verse it’s just quiet with some mild Tim guitar fill. And let’s not talk about the jam part, the electric guitar just is not cutting it anymore.

A song I still think is amazing live is Pig, the keyboard strings sound great and Dave and the band still bring the intensity and it sounds like it did 15 years ago

wlperie 11-04-2022 10:12 PM

Re: What songs are noticeably getting worse live/ what songs are still strong

Seek Up getting worse.

Jimi Thing more tolerable this year.

Crush as good as ever.

Come On Come On was really good this year. Much better than when it debuted a few years ago.

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-04-2022 10:15 PM

I would say I’m the exact opposite as OP. I love Pig, but I’d be cool if they never played it live again. Nancies on the other hand is finally interesting again. One of my favorite tunes, but I feel from 07-16 it wasn’t as special as it was in the earlier days. I dig the new format and solo choices.

tripeyedfish 11-04-2022 10:17 PM

I’ve thought grey street has sounded better this year (not just from the 3rd verse either)

Everyday sounds terrible still. I wish they’d buried that one when Boyd left.

captain40 11-04-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Seek Up getting worse. <br>
<br>
Jimi Thing more tolerable this year. <br>
<br>
Crush as good as ever. <br>
<br>
Come On Come On was really good this year. Much better than when it debuted a few years ago.
Agreed come on come on has been great, and I feel like it’s become a favorite for a lot

Gunz 11-05-2022 05:17 AM

He has a little sister named Jane and this isn’t the song that Jane liked.

dancheatham 11-05-2022 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlperie (Post 18293148)
Seek Up getting worse.

Jimi Thing more tolerable this year.

Crush as good as ever.

I agree with Jimi, Crush, and Come On, but man... last night's Seek Up might be the best thing I've heard this band play in years (and even outside of that specific performance, I think Seek Up has been sounding as good as it ever has for a while now).

One Sweet World is the biggest offender to me.

dmbolp 11-05-2022 05:33 AM

Lie In Our Graves

Rnk13 11-05-2022 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18293184)
He has a little sister named Jane and this isn’t the song that Jane liked.

I actually think Jane sounds pretty tight. I’ll still take it at any show.

crounsa810 11-05-2022 07:16 AM

#41, Ants, Crush, Bartender, Grey St, and WWYS are getting worse.

Seek Up, Pig, Typical, Grace, LIOG are getting better.

LowEnd_Theory 11-05-2022 09:48 AM

Watched a recent video of them playing The Stone. I think it’s the first time I really noticed how Carter is slowing down. It sounded so empty, void of his choppy/busy fills that really drive the song.

watchtower08 11-05-2022 10:01 AM

Miss the old warehouse. Enjoy the new powerful DDTW

tyler3440 11-05-2022 10:06 AM

Seek Up was mvp last night

crounsa810 11-05-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory (Post 18293298)
Watched a recent video of them playing The Stone. I think it’s the first time I really noticed how Carter is slowing down. It sounded so empty, void of his choppy/busy fills that really drive the song.

Yeah, last recent Stone I listened to I noticed it sounded like a much more straightforward drumbeat vs what he used to do

BTCS_JTR 11-05-2022 10:53 AM

Billies still misses Boyd, but they've done a good job with keeping that one good live. Grace is Gone is always good, too. So is What Would You Say.

#41 and Ants are two that came to mind that are getting worse

DMBCardinal 11-05-2022 10:56 AM

#41 and Ants are the obvious choices for songs getting worse. I don't think there is a lot of disagreement on that on here.

RainDog1980 11-05-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

This got me curious and wow… what a difference.

MiniFlynny34 11-05-2022 12:56 PM

Ants has been terrible the entirety of DMB 4.0.

Speilmen230 11-05-2022 01:02 PM

Crush has become one of their best staple songs.

anthonysoscia 11-05-2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s extremely different. Yeah he really played much busier and more intensely on it ‘08-‘16 (and absolutely nuts in 2010), but if you listen to the tune ‘98-06 ish he plays more straightforward like the record. I think he’s playing it more edgy this year (and stronger overall) vs ‘18-21. Take a listen to it at Hartford this year, he was doing some really powerful stuff with Jeff.

So yes maybe less busy compared to the last decade and some, but take a listen further back (I’m a drummer btw)

Miller9 11-05-2022 02:27 PM

There is a list of songs that are noticeably worse with the departure of the violin.
That would be these songs that I would previously look forward to hearing, now I'm just indifferent hearing because they are just not the same.

LIOG
Nancies
Seek Up
Jane
Ants
Jimi
Billies (at least they gave Jeff a spot to solo)
Recently

dmb2much40 11-05-2022 02:43 PM

Seek Up has been fabulous with the 4.0 lineup. Also typical and so right sound great. Jimi is much improved this year, and I’ve enjoyed two step’s return.

Billies, nancies and pig have worked out ok without Boyd, but man are graves and ants hard to listen to.

OSW and #41 have become shells of their former selves, it’s sad.

OutofDarkness 11-05-2022 02:52 PM

The Last Stop gets worse every time it reappears, and has from the beginning. It was godlike in '98. It wasn't quite as good in '03, but still great. '06, it's losing some steam. '10, the reprise sounds pretty messed up. '16, pretty blah. Then '19, it loses the reprise altogether.

KevinTH 11-05-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 (Post 18293381)
Ants has been terrible the entirety of DMB 4.0.

Hollywood Bowl was a breath of fresh air for that one and Billies.

I don’t think I could honestly say any song sounds better than it did with the original lineup, but there’s songs like Stone or Lie in Our Graves that sounded super tight and very well performed this last summer.

DDTW has been way too heavy for years, Grey Street while sounding better these days still lacks the punch it used to have and will never totally work for me with the horn duel, Rapunzel misses the finesse it used to have and does not benefit from the two horns riding on top each other during the jam, Even though his part wasn’t anything intricate Bartender really isn’t the same without violin. The band sounded the best they have in a long time in 2022 though. There’s things I’ll always miss, and will never be the same, but they sounded more like a cohesive unit than they have in a while.

ToySoldier#34 11-05-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 18293388)
I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t think it’s extremely different. Yeah he really played much busier and more intensely on it ‘08-‘16 (and absolutely nuts in 2010), but if you listen to the tune ‘98-06 ish he plays more straightforward like the record. I think he’s playing it more edgy this year (and stronger overall) vs ‘18-21. Take a listen to it at Hartford this year, he was doing some really powerful stuff with Jeff.

So yes maybe less busy compared to the last decade and some, but take a listen further back (I’m a drummer btw)

I'd have to go back and listen / watch it but I was at Hartford two rows behind the pit and remember thinking there were one or two big mistakes at the time

anthonysoscia 11-05-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18293443)
I'd have to go back and listen / watch it but I was at Hartford two rows behind the pit and remember thinking there were one or two big mistakes at the time

I was there too, I think Carter went into the small instrumental section instead of the next verse at one point, but Dave sang the verse and it ended up sounding kinda cool. It was the tour debut so that was probably a factor. Regardless, it was a good performance and that doesn’t change what I was saying above.

ToySoldier#34 11-05-2022 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 18293451)
I was there too, I think Carter went into the small instrumental section instead of the next verse at one point, but Dave sang the verse and it ended up sounding kinda cool. It was the tour debut so that was probably a factor. Regardless, it was a good performance and that doesn’t change what I was saying above.

Yeah just saw the mention of that performance, I agree I think he's playing well still :thumbsup

grilldanmo 11-05-2022 05:41 PM

Alla y’all a bunch of boneheads.

As you were.

crashintonickdm 11-05-2022 06:03 PM

They’re all worse

But that’s okay.

LowEnd_Theory 11-05-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 18293510)
They’re all worse

But that’s okay.

That is a good point.