Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Teacher's Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=341881)

JRS1386 06-20-2016 10:45 PM

Teacher's Thread

I am almost positive there is one of these around the boards somewhere, but I could not find in via forum or google search so here I go creating a thread.

School is finally out (:multi) and I am mulling what I want to do with my career. I have been teaching 6th and 7th Grade math for the past 4 years and I love it, but next year I will be shifted to 7th Grade Math and 7th Grade Civics. So there is one new, potentially fun, challenge.

I am also considering starting my graduate work. Unsure if I want to go the administration route or get Curriculum and Instruction. I also will be taking online courses because its not like I can take 2 years off from real life to take brick and mortar classes (though that is my preferred method of classes).

Any current teachers in here who have taken Masters coursework while still teaching with any insight or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

dontdrink36 06-21-2016 05:25 AM

Re: Teacher's Thread

Yall are just now off for summer? We've been out since May 26. I teach 9th and 10th grade sped resource math. I've never taken masters classes while working but I'm considering Curriculum and instruction once my fiance graduates. I have no desire to do administration, so if I go back it'll be for curriculum.

Naptown#41 06-21-2016 05:35 AM

Friday was my last day and did Bristow Saturday. Great way to begin summer! Heading up to Syracuse today.

I just finished my 17th year teaching third grade. I've taken graduate classes while teaching. It's a lot of work, but it is doable. Also had a kid during that time. My grade level is departmentalized now, but it wasn't then so I was planning for all subjects. I think it would be easier now only having to plan reading/language arts. I focused on reading instruction. I'm close with my principal and see the BS she deals with on a daily basis. I have zero interest in ever becoming an administrator. I get invited every year to go to informational sessions on becoming an administrator in my county, but I always turn them down. If I ever leave the classroom it will be for a reading resource position or to leave teaching.

SmoothD41 06-21-2016 05:38 AM

2nd grade teacher here. Just finished my 9th year of teaching. We've been out since May 26, but we go back July 25! We get two weeks of fall break, two weeks for Christmas, and two weeks for spring. I actually love the calendar.

I started my masters course work a few years ago, but then there were some changes that pretty much made it worthless (from a pay perspective, unless of course you were going into admin) to complete your masters, so I stopped.

Roose13 06-21-2016 07:13 AM

I'm applying to be a substitute teacher this summer for the upcoming fall. I need the dough.

Carbon Copy 06-21-2016 10:23 AM

How many days a year does the average teacher work? (school days + non school days)

Lee3691 06-21-2016 10:27 AM

My mom worked on a year round schedule that I will always be jealous of. Two months on, one month off.

Carbon Copy 06-21-2016 10:51 AM

I know in chicago here, the average teacher makes 71k for 208 day schedule (student school year is less days). I think a salaried person in the private sector, is what like 260 days (365*5/7). So 260/208 = 1.25*71k = 88,750 if they worked all year. Not too shabby. They've gone on strike twice in the past year demanding more money (3%...more than inflation), smaller class sizes (average size is 26), and paid snow days. I'm so jealous the private sector doesn't have collective bargaining, instead I get to see raises go up 1-2% while CEO bonuses go up 10-20MM. yay :)

http://www.ctunet.com/for-members/te...-up-092412.pdf

dontdrink36 06-21-2016 03:08 PM

In GA teachers work 180 school days and 10 work days. No union down here so we don't get nearly as much as they do in Chicago.

justink 06-21-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16476513)
I'm applying to be a substitute teacher this summer for the upcoming fall. I need the dough.

then why the fuck are you doing THAT?

:lol

matthewdaves187 06-21-2016 04:45 PM

I too might work as a sub in the fall in Fargo--where I've recently moved, but I don't have a teaching certificate...I had taught in Korea for 5 years and that's when I decided that I like teaching. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a certificate/credential the quickest, or alternative routs? I don't want to sub for too long because the pay isn't that great but that is about all I can do (as far as I know). Suggestions?

Roose13 06-21-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justink (Post 16477645)
then why the fuck are you doing THAT?

:lol

I already work two jobs. May as well say yes to babysit for $80-$100 if I have the time to.

smokew11 06-21-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16477882)
I already work two jobs. May as well say yes to babysit for $80-$100 if I have the time to.

being a sub is the absolute worst possible job. dont do it

justink 06-21-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16477882)

You could make more selling loosies at the shop.

And keep your free day.

AND not have to throat punch some asshole teenagers playing the coughing game.

smokew11 06-21-2016 06:34 PM

JRS- its 2016. there is no preferred route to a Master's, online or F2F.

I just finished my M.Ed in Classroom Technology this week, and in August I'm starting an 18 credit principal certification program. I'll be able to sit for the praxis in Aug 2017

JRS1386 06-21-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16476276)
Yall are just now off for summer? We've been out since May 26. I teach 9th and 10th grade sped resource math. I've never taken masters classes while working but I'm considering Curriculum and instruction once my fiance graduates. I have no desire to do administration, so if I go back it'll be for curriculum.

Our last day was Friday, its a drag, but we don't have students til September, so thats a plus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naptown#41 (Post 16476291)
Friday was my last day and did Bristow Saturday. Great way to begin summer! Heading up to Syracuse today.

I just finished my 17th year teaching third grade. I've taken graduate classes while teaching. It's a lot of work, but it is doable. Also had a kid during that time. My grade level is departmentalized now, but it wasn't then so I was planning for all subjects. I think it would be easier now only having to plan reading/language arts. I focused on reading instruction. I'm close with my principal and see the BS she deals with on a daily basis. I have zero interest in ever becoming an administrator. I get invited every year to go to informational sessions on becoming an administrator in my county, but I always turn them down. If I ever leave the classroom it will be for a reading resource position or to leave teaching.

I was close with my previous principal (who is now super in our district) and I have a good relationship with the current principal. Seeing all the BS they deal with and how they handle or mishandle sort of makes me want to do it to see if I can handle it better. The answer is probably not :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothD41 (Post 16476295)
2nd grade teacher here. Just finished my 9th year of teaching. We've been out since May 26, but we go back July 25! We get two weeks of fall break, two weeks for Christmas, and two weeks for spring. I actually love the calendar.

I started my masters course work a few years ago, but then there were some changes that pretty much made it worthless (from a pay perspective, unless of course you were going into admin) to complete your masters, so I stopped.

The second part is why I am leaning towards admin, huge pay increase that route, but I don't know if I can give up being in the classroom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewdaves187 (Post 16477715)
I too might work as a sub in the fall in Fargo--where I've recently moved, but I don't have a teaching certificate...I had taught in Korea for 5 years and that's when I decided that I like teaching. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a certificate/credential the quickest, or alternative routs? I don't want to sub for too long because the pay isn't that great but that is about all I can do (as far as I know). Suggestions?

Some colleges have accelerated programs where you take courses and you get a certification at the end of the deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokew11 (Post 16478031)
JRS- its 2016. there is no preferred route to a Master's, online or F2F.

I just finished my M.Ed in Classroom Technology this week, and in August I'm starting an 18 credit principal certification program. I'll be able to sit for the praxis in Aug 2017

I am not looking at preferred as much as I am looking for current teachers and how they handled getting their masters, whether it is online or face to face. Like I said in my OP, I would prefer face to face, but I need to accept reality and realize that is not likely a route open to me if I am to continue to teach while obtaining my masters

Climb2safety 06-21-2016 10:07 PM

So much for Hot for teacher...it's a sword fight in here

Enjoy your summer boys.

smokew11 06-22-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16478582)

I am not looking at preferred as much as I am looking for current teachers and how they handled getting their masters, whether it is online or face to face. Like I said in my OP, I would prefer face to face, but I need to accept reality and realize that is not likely a route open to me if I am to continue to teach while obtaining my masters

almost everyone I know who teaches goes to Wilkes University because it's cheap and online. This includes a mentor of mine who was a principal at one of Pa's top 20 schools and just accepted a superintendent position (in case you're questioning the legitimacy of the school if you never heard of it)

look it up...there are about 20 masters programs for teachers, including curriculum and administration. classes are about $1300 each

JRS1386 06-22-2016 07:08 AM

I've heard of Wilkes. Had several friends go there

smokew11 06-22-2016 05:26 PM

its your best bet, unless you just want to start your doctorate right away

dontshootmydog 07-30-2016 01:05 PM

In search of a new career. My wife is asking around at the hospital where she works and a coworker says her husband, a principal at a local high school, is needing teachers so bad they are accepting anyone with a bachelor's degree. This got me thinking about teaching, so naturally what do I do? I come to Ants to get educated lol. I think I would love the schedule, M-F evenings off, weekends off, summer's off. I just don't know if I could handle the teenage brats. I think it would be something I'd enjoy and excel at over time. If yall had to do it over again would you choose teaching? What's the best and worst parts of the job? Any other info yall can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks Ants.

smokew11 07-30-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontshootmydog (Post 16539712)
In search of a new career. My wife is asking around at the hospital where she works and a coworker says her husband, a principal at a local high school, is needing teachers so bad they are accepting anyone with a bachelor's degree. This got me thinking about teaching, so naturally what do I do? I come to Ants to get educated lol. I think I would love the schedule, M-F evenings off, weekends off, summer's off. I just don't know if I could handle the teenage brats. I think it would be something I'd enjoy and excel at over time. If yall had to do it over again would you choose teaching? What's the best and worst parts of the job? Any other info yall can pass along would be appreciated. Thanks Ants.

this is a HUGE misconception

dontshootmydog 07-30-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokew11 (Post 16539789)
this is a HUGE misconception

How so? Care to expound?

smokew11 07-30-2016 05:37 PM

preparing lessons, writing lesson plans, and grading work doesn't all happen in your 40 minute prep period. You'll spend most of your evening hours researching or coming up with different activities for the students so you're not just lecturing every day. it's fun, but it takes a lot of time if you're doing it right.

over the summer, especially early on in your career, you'll be taking graduate classes, writing curriculum, etc. Its not 40 hrs a week but its not nothing like most people think.

I dont know a lot of teachers, especially in their first few years, who work less than 65 hrs/week. And then after those first few years it starts over again if the specific class you are teaching changes and you have start from scratch

SeanMH 07-31-2016 10:52 PM

I just finished my 6th year (originally started Jan. '10 cuz I graduated Dec. '09), I was super lucky to get my job- perfect timing and everything else!

I also started my Ed Leadership Masters in January and will be done in December, its like 98% online.

My main drive right now is actually to work in some capacity at the district office and not be an AP.

Also, OP, I teach 7th grade Civics too and I've taught all 3 social studies grades and I like the 8th grader kids more but enjoy the 7th subject matter more.

dontdrink36 08-01-2016 06:52 AM

Today is the first student day of the new year for me! First period just ended so I'm on my planning period right now!

YankeesDMB41 08-01-2016 08:19 AM

I teach kindergarden...I'm a 22 year old 6"1 240 lb man with a huge beard that teaches kindergarten....let that sink in

dontdrink36 08-01-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 16540920)
I teach kindergarden...I'm a 22 year old 6"1 240 lb man with a huge beard that teaches kindergarten....let that sink in

Do you really? That's awesome!

YankeesDMB41 08-01-2016 11:28 AM

Yea, it's one of those things that you would never expect...but i work very well with kids and love what I do.

tyler3440 08-01-2016 12:54 PM

Y'all are the cool teachers that play DMB in class right? Like of course not when your actually teaching but when the kids are doing work.