Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Official Television Thread v2.0 (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=321213)

junior94 01-23-2013 07:15 PM

Official Television Thread v2.0

I decided to use the following topic to do a restart of this thread (with permission, btw). I just earlier tonight saw for the first time an extended preview for the new NBC series called Do No Harm. Now this will be tough to say because I really like the lead actor (Steven Pasquale from Rescue Me) but frankly this looks like a really lame, flat attempt to tell a classic story that was already done (what I'm reasonably presuming) FAR better only a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8BayrcQ4oA

That's the trailer for Do No Harm. It's basically telling Robert Louis Stevenson's Jekyll & Hyde story as a modern day neurosurgeon. Thing is, back in 2007 Steven Moffat (Doctor Who and Sherlock) already wrote a truly excellent 6 episode series for the BBC simply titled Jekyll, starring James Nesbitt, whom you may recognize as one of the dwarves who actually gets a fair amount of lines in The Hobbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbprwIhWQQ

That's the trailer for Jekyll. What looks especially tired from the preview of this new American one, they're using the same details that the "evil personality" takes him over at the same time every day lasting 12 hours on/off, and that they even leave each other messages to keep them generally updated.

You may very well give this NBC series a chance, but do yourself a favor and at least also watch the BBC series. Like I said its 6 episodes, each about 55 minutes long. Oddly enough, while there is a satisfying enough conclusion to Moffat's 2007 series, he had in fact a 2nd series all mapped out and ready to go, and I don't know why (maybe low ratings?) but the BBC basically said thanks, but no thanks. Oh well, now we have him producing two of the best series in the world, so...

chadizzy1 01-23-2013 07:20 PM

Re: Official Television Thread v2.0

My list is dwindling. Fringe is gone. Alphas isn't returning. Breaking Bad is about to end.

Now my 2013 list is:

Shameless
Californication
HIMYM
Hardcore Pawn & Pawn Stars
Raising Hope
Arrow
Big Bang Theory
Walking Dead
Revolution
Dexter
Breaking Bad

RJP2741 01-23-2013 07:47 PM

Why not just use the existing TV thread?

junior94 01-23-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 14324738)
Why not just use the existing TV thread?

It's gone, it was deleted. But as I said, I checked with a mod before starting this up again.

RJP2741 01-23-2013 07:55 PM

Why was it deleted? That seems strange.

On topic - has anyone seen The Following? Worth checking out?

Elliott Evans 01-23-2013 09:30 PM

Treme is ending this year. So is Breaking Bad.

Justified is still gong strong. Same with Boardwalk Empire.

Maybe we'll see more episodes of Luther, Futurama and Red Dwarf sometime?

Not much more beyond that.

keithcoldroses 01-23-2013 09:42 PM

Arrested Development returns this year.

dre2142 01-24-2013 04:58 AM

Anyone watch The Following with Kevin Bacon?

Banshee on "Showtime"? or Starz is pretty good.

parks3923 01-24-2013 07:09 AM

Still a lot of strong TV shows out there. My List:

Dexter
Game of Thrones
HIMYM
Modern Family
New Girl
Homeland
Mad Men
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Parenthood (Hope it returns for 5th Season)
Workaholics
Arrested Development (Can't wait for return)

I have not checked out the Following yet, but have heard the first episode was pretty good.

matthewdaves187 01-24-2013 07:26 AM

Are they still going to make an Arrested Development movie? I hope not, it's not really the type of thing I want to watch in a theater.

Arby 01-24-2013 07:30 AM

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Arrested Development

Those are the only shows I care about as of now. I might check out that "The Americans" show on FX. Saw a few previews and it looks interesting.

BotheLaneFan 01-24-2013 07:35 AM

Archer
Don't Trust the B (Until they murder death killed it)
Happy Endings
Breaking Bad
Mad Men (last season was kinda not so great though)
Curb (if you will ever live again)
Community
Arrested Development (I have low expectations, though. Shoulda let it die, but it's like whatever)
South Park
Aqua Something You Know Whatever
Squidbillies

neumdogg 01-24-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 14324763)

On topic - has anyone seen The Following? Worth checking out?

Yes it is. Don't listen to Junior!

neumdogg 01-24-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan (Post 14325295)
Archer
Happy Endings
Breaking Bad
Mad Men (last season was kinda not so great though)
Curb (if you will ever live again)
Community
Arrested Development (I have low expectations, though. Shoulda let it die, but it's like whatever)
South Park
Aqua Something You Know Whatever
Squidbillies

I thought the did: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...the-b/1857935/

thebridge15 01-24-2013 08:31 AM

I won't watch a network show until it's like three seasons in. They all suck too much.

BotheLaneFan 01-24-2013 08:32 AM

Killed, not kill. I know it died. It makes me sad. I blame the unattractive chick who played June. Had the show been about Van Der Beek and Chloe it would have been the best show ever.

junior94 01-24-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neumdogg (Post 14325392)
Yes it is. Don't listen to Junior!

:lol Hey, virtually every pilot is worth checking out. I happily invite anyone to watch the first episode of The Following. But I happen to think it was trash.

TripPin BilLie 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

I've been watching

Girls
Breaking bad
Mad men
Walking dead
Community
American horror story (this is hard for me to get into. Interesting original idea but I just don't like it got some strange reason)
Shameless
Boardwalk empire
And I started watching Doctor who. I don't know if that's meant to be funny or not but its so silly that its hysterical.

K3nTaKa0s 01-24-2013 10:59 AM

Justified, along with some shows on History Channel, TruTV, and A&E.

clayj41 01-24-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan (Post 14325295)

:thumbsup Saw it coming, but my day was ruined yesterday when that news came out.

BotheLaneFan 01-24-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayj41 (Post 14325893)
:thumbsup Saw it coming, but my day was ruined yesterday when that news came out.

I still blame the chick who played June getting creepy skinny and not being funny. I know she was the straight woman, but still though. That show could have been about Van Der Beek, Chloe and Van Der Beek's asssistant.

dre2142 01-24-2013 12:17 PM

I got roku so Im catching up on some old shows in addition to the current shows.

West Wing
Downtown Abbey
NYPD Blue

neumdogg 01-24-2013 01:00 PM

Refer to my sig. A good mix of quality programming and shitty shows.

junior94 01-24-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP2741 (Post 14324763)

While I didn't see any of it myself, apparently there was some posting activity that displeased a mod to a certain degree, and it got deleted. That's really all that I know about it, the Mod can come in and elaborate on that if they so choose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewdaves187 (Post 14325272)
Are they still going to make an Arrested Development movie? I hope not, it's not really the type of thing I want to watch in a theater.

I think so. Note that all the episode titles we found out about recently, they were each simple family character names. When this all started Hurwitz said the original plan was to have the series re-introduce the characters one by one, and all of those collectively would sorta be like the first act of a movie. Then at the end of the run the feature film would be done to finish out the overall story.

clayj41 01-24-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan (Post 14325952)
I still blame the chick who played June getting creepy skinny and not being funny. I know she was the straight woman, but still though. That show could have been about Van Der Beek, Chloe and Van Der Beek's asssistant.

JVDB is the best.

Elliott Evans 01-24-2013 04:56 PM

Oh yeah, can't forget about Game of Thrones.

K270 01-25-2013 12:39 AM

I only watch two shows on a weekly basis:

Person Of Interest
Last Man Standing

snow1868 01-25-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheDMBFan (Post 14325952)

I didn't think it was June that was the problem. The biggest problem was it finding the right audience. I liked it, but I can see where a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it.

Still, was sad to see this one go as I thought it potiential. Chole and JVDB were great.

clayj41 01-25-2013 07:25 AM

Everything I'm current on:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

junior94 01-25-2013 07:41 AM

Everyone else is tossing in their current shows, so as the OP I will as well. This is everything that will air at some point in 2013, even if not on now.

White Collar
Modern Family
Person Of Interest
30 Rock
Parks & Rec
The Simpsons
Arrested Development
Doctor Who
Sherlock
Community
Game Of Thrones
Girls
Louie
Nurse Jackie
Shameless
The Walking Dead
Mad Men
The Newsroom

I have plans to start catching up with both Dexter and Breaking Bad within this year. Technically I've watched about the first half season of Happy Endings and haven't gone back to it, still don't know if I will.