Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2021 Tour - Your Top 3 Cool Moments (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=356882)

Titotimmy 11-20-2021 06:39 PM

2021 Tour - Your Top 3 Cool Moments

What’s in your top 3 this year? Personal bias is fine, anything plays really. I’ll go first.

3. The Madman’s Eyes debut. I was listening live to the Sirius stream for this and the thought process of “hmm WYA? Last Stop??” during the intro was fun. Idk if I’ve ever listened live or witnessed a debut in real time before. I’ve also haven’t been this excited for a new one in a long time.

2. (Personal bias pick) - Catching the WYA TD at SPAC. This was supposed to be where catching my white whale Last Stop at the greatest arena in the world was supposed to go - but the truncated version just left me with a big ol pair of blue balls if we’re being honest. I love WYA, it’s fast, loud, and mean which is some of my favorite DMB. The performances this tour of the song have been exceptional. The feeling of a song intro starting of a song you really love when you have no idea it’s coming (as is usually the case with a TD) is what seeing the band live is all about. Definitely helps being at SPAC after making the trek earlier that day.

1. You Never Know solo at the Gorge - some cool stuff happened as a result of the alternate format. Buddy on drums easily could have taken this spot but YNK is one of the best songs in the catalogue imo and any time you can get a new or unique performance of top tier material it’s worth mentioning. It’s also a really tough song to play/sing and Dave didn’t have the security blanket of the band to mask any flubs so I thought it was a real cool move for him to go out and play it by himself.

BruceW 11-20-2021 06:52 PM

Re: 2021 Tour - Your Top 3 Cool Moments

I’m just going to do 3 from shows I attended

3. Third verse of Grey Street in the 3 slot at the tour opener. This may honestly be #1 but I’m doing a “3” thing here

2. Buddy Strong playing drums at Gorge. Completely unexpected. Not much else to say besides, thank you Buddy! You were great.

1. You Never Know Dave solo at The Gorge. The Grey Street, Ants to open N1 was amazing, but having one of my favorite songs be played Dave solo for the first time (on stage), be played flawlessly, and be played at The Gorge makes it one of the more memorable moments I will ever have at a DMB show and there’s no questioning that.

BigWhiskey1855 11-20-2021 07:28 PM

Sticking to shows I attended this year.

3) The roar and excitement of the crowd at Deer Creek when the band took the stage for the first time there in over 2 years. The energy was absolutely infectious. Not to mention we got the debut of "The Only Thing" It was my first show of 2021 and honestly a feeling I'll never forget. People bitch about setlists, lineups, etc but I don't take that for granted anymore after losing live music for 2 years.

2) Fiddlers N1 setlist. Checking So Right, What You Are, and I'll Back You Up off my list was unexpected and honestly one of their best nights all tour on paper.

1) Getting the first and what I originally assumed would be the only Two Step > Halloween of the tour at Fiddlers N2. They ended up doing it again, but Halloween is one of my favorites and a song I just assumed I'd never get since it's become nearly a one off each tour. To get that lucky on my 5th show all time this late in the game had me losing it. It felt like a mosh pit in my section.

Overall, 2021 was a super fun year with a lot of positive energy from the band. I'm already ready to hit the road again. I may even crest the Gorge for the first time in 2022.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

dontdrink36 11-20-2021 07:41 PM

Being at my first tour opener and the first dmb show in a long time was really cool.

The 3rd verse liberation!

The first BOWA in Georgia since 94!

Crash1983 11-20-2021 08:23 PM

From shows I was at

1. 3rd verse grey st at Raleigh, and the roar of the crowd when it started.

2. You never know Dave solo at the gorge

3. Granny opener Chicago n2, been chasing a granny opener

Special mention proudest monkey->lie in our graves Chicago N1, always awesome when proudest goes into something besides satellite. And this line up has been nailing liog.

Pmfnharris 11-21-2021 12:03 AM

Being that I'm mostly a Gorge only guy, my stuff is bias towards that weekend:

3: Tony Hall playing bass on Some Devil songs is something I never could have imagined. I was 18 when SD came out and was not in a place to go see concerts. Such an amazing moment to see him and Dave react playing together.

2: D&T for multiple songs every night at the Gorge. We don't get D&T shows in the PNW so seeing Bartender, Two Step, Crush, LIOG, and especially Christmas Song was an absolute treat.

1: Honestly, the pivot for the Gorge shows was something I will always cherish. The vibe in the pit on N1 was something never seen out there nor will it be seen again. We were all just so happy to hear anything. Plus we got a Hey Bulldog on N3. 30+ shows and mostly at the Gorge and I will never forget what happened that weekend on stage. You Never Know solo was absolutely insane.

crounsa810 11-21-2021 01:08 AM

I'll just use shows I went to:

1) Hearing the opening notes to OSW at Holmdel, hearing live music surrounded by thousands of people after the absolute fucking hell the last year has been. That little sense of "hey things are still pretty fucked, but at least we're able to all get together in the woods and listen to this great music and have a good time together again."

2) Just being able to be in the building at MSG and experience the entire building singing along to everything and, again, taking in the fact that we can all be together listening and singing our hearts out to this band having such a good time despite everything that's been going on. Looking around at a crowded building full of people singing "people in every direction!" after being shut in by ourselves for so long? It makes it all feel ok for a little bit. Seeing my favorite band in my favorite city? After missing out on the last few MSG stops, I wouldn't have missed this one for the world, and I hope I'm able to go many more times. The crowd erupting at Grey St third verse, Hey La's on BOWA, all of #41, Hani Hani, Thank You in SDL, everything was just so awesome to hear echoing around throughout that crowd.

3) Being able to take my friend to his first two shows and see him have such a good time and share in the love of this band and the music they make that helps so many of us feel alive. I've taken so many people to these shows and while they always leave having become a fan, it's something special to be able to share the music with someone who already was a fan of the band and appreciates them and has memories of their music being the soundtrack to help them get through something difficult. It's a great time being able to share an appreciation of music together with a good friend

Runner up: Having a conversation with people around my section about what the encore would be MSG N2, originally saying "it'll probably be Some Devil, So Right -> Ants" and then, after seeing Dave's guitar and hand position, being able to call Christmas Song, then feeling in the air of the arena that Last Stop -> Ants was the only way to end it properly, then seeing Dave pick up the twelve string and go into Last Stop. It felt so cool to be able to inadvertently call the encore just from feeling and that split second of seeing Dave standing with a guitar

Gunz 11-21-2021 05:39 AM

Well since I just hit one show this year it would have to be

1- actually being in attendance for live music again
2- hearing grey st’s 3rd verse since I can’t remember when
3- hearing Windows live. The concert was my first live music post covid cancellations so it tied in nicely for me

jmcniff22 11-21-2021 06:12 AM

1. Colorado N2 - part of the rail crew to effectively change the entire encore. Witnessing #40 to open was unreal as well.

2. SPAC N2 - The Stone. Just something about this song at SPAC with 20k+ singing the chorus.

3. Raleigh - Grey St. third verse... the crowd roar was insane.

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-21-2021 07:16 AM

I like all the answers so far, heres three of my top moments:

3. JTR mid set at the Tampa show, this was my first JTR and was completely out of left field. I saw several of my favorite songs for the first time this tour (JTR, SUAD, YNK, WYA) but I give this slot to JTR. Really, that entire mid set run at Tampa was just so unexpected - The Riff > JTR > The Song That Jane Likes > Typical Situation - it’s my favorite 4 song run I’ve seen at a show. That Tampa show will go down as one my favorites attended.

2. Openers of the first weekend in North Carolina - #41 being the first song back after 2 years was such a high, and then the following night opening with my favorite song/opener Seek Up. My first time catching that iconic song open a show.

1. SPAC. My first trip to SPAC was unbelievable. So memorable. The shows themselves were fantastic, it’s hard to pick a moment. I have to go with Bartender night 2. By far the best I’ve seen. Warehouse was the runner up. I’ve seen a lot of Warehouses, but this one was different. A great intro with full crowd interaction, and the crowd was so pumped during the outro/Louie Louie.

Honorable mention: Grey Street 3rd verse

JboDaveGuyYNK 11-21-2021 07:33 AM

Great idea, Timmy.

#3: Raleigh tour opener. I wasn't there, but the anticipation and buzz and all the guesses for the opener after 2020 was a lot of fun. The first of many streams and couch tours I caught this year.

#2: Denver weekend. Upgraded to lowers thanks to a fellow Ant on N1 (which was just the lady and I)- that set never fell off a cliff. We were on the fence in the lawn for N2 with a crew of 15 or 16- including the first show with my sister since the Hartford days; others in the group ranged from casual fans to die hards who were losing their shit with me during the encore. From the 40 opener, it was electric.

#1: YNK at the Gorge. Is this therapy? Cause yes I shed a tear. First time hearing my #1 song live which was a real treat after missing all the jams N1. We had a wedding in Utah Friday night of LaborDave weekend. So what a gift after the 10.5 hour drive. My gf's first time to the Gorge-watching her reaction coming over the hill was priceless. Shout-out to the new friends from Seattle who we parked next to and cooked us breakfast Sunday morning. Very much looking forward to catching this song full band one day.

Amped for 2022.

Titotimmy 11-21-2021 09:43 AM

Denver weekend is definitely on my honorable mentions; it seemed like those two shows came smack dab in the middle of the worst run of the tour as far as setlists and encores go. The Denver Sirius tape is my go to for 2021 listening.

Good job by the crowd there and especially the pit crew to keep on Dave about Halloween lol. I’m normally of the mind that chants are lame cause it must be one of the most annoying things in the world for Dave, but when it comes to songs like Halloween or Last Stop encores I’ll take exception :lol They seemed in good spirits about it too which definitely helps.

alec 11-21-2021 10:47 AM

1. Carter & Fonz showing up Irvine N1 with Seek Up opener, post COVID.

2. Grey St 3rd verse return.

3. Not really a moment - Dave’s voice sounding better than it has sounded in years.

Tomacco 11-21-2021 11:12 AM

From shows I attended (Gorge, Columbus and MSG):

1. “I wonder if Buddy could play the drums…” That line by Dave followed by the roar of applause, The Maker and that Save Me. That 15 minute period, n1 of the Gorge.

2. Two Step > Halloween at MSG.

3. Can’t decide between solo YNK at Gorge n3 or the encore of MSG n2.

If I were to include shows I didn’t attend, probably would include the third verse of Grey Street on the webcast of the tour opener.

seanbrutus 11-21-2021 11:46 AM

3.Raleigh tour opener. Made a new good friend who was my seat buddy. We ended up doing Charlotte, Mohegan, and MSG together as well!

2.Because of the Covid reschedules, it was probably the most shows I'll ever do in a year at 11. Not sure I have it in me again, but man it was such a blast.

1.Randomly roping in the Deer Creek weekend with my brother and then having the same thing happen for N2 at MSG. My brother is one of my favorite people in the world, and spending that time with him and being with him at his first show post-Covid was special.

dmbolp 11-21-2021 12:34 PM

1. MSG N1 - Last minute side-stage front row seats; amazing/unique view of the entire band. Raab handing me the set list halfway thru the show with Typical / Grey ST /Two Step / Halloween finish :freak

2. MSG N2 - Last minute pit, on the rail, Last Stop / Ants :D, amazing way to end the tour

3. Tie between CLT, ATL, WPB N1 & N2, all in the pit, all great shows

Low light was Raleigh; poor sound (at least where we were at), ticket-scanning mess, just seemed blah to me

ToySoldier#34 11-21-2021 12:44 PM

1. Can't really put into words what it meant seeing my favorite band walk out on stage after a year and a half of hell and opening with BEF, knowing that my favorite song Bartender was coming, all as the first live music since before the pandemic. Hell I was slightly emotional just driving into the parking lot and listening to Space Between which was a song sent to me by a friend when I was hospitalized with Covid.

2. The way in which Dave and Buddy stepped up at the Gorge, top tier musicianship, I include every solo performance at the Gorge in this

3. WATM and MME

... completely agree with Alec about Dave's voice and that's kind of a general consistent thing across the tour for me, was blown away by his vocals at SPAC

onesweetworld41 11-21-2021 02:31 PM

1. The LIOG from Chicago - top tier work from Tim and first time I didn't miss a violin
2. Warehouse closer at Burgettstown - whole setlist was fun with a lot of variation of song slots but that sealed it
3. The LOUD cheers every time 3rd verse of Grey Street happened

rmp207 11-21-2021 03:21 PM

Short video from last night of Dave at SMASH.

https://twitter.com/dmbgorgecrew/sta...606443015?s=21

monizzle145 11-21-2021 03:39 PM

Only using the shows I went to:

Mansfield, Gilford X2, Gorge X3, Farm Aid, Mohegan X2, MSG N2 only

1. What you are MSG N2: I have seen so many rare things in the short 9 years of touring like blackjack 1st show, #34 tease on the 12 string to JTR, spoon, dreaming tree, blue warter partial, etc etc. But What You are is to me an extremely underrated spiritual experience that lived up to everything I thought it would be live. Chased it for 32 shows and got it MSGN2 for show 33. I almost cried and I don't cry during concerts.

2. Being 1st Time Rail For Broken Things at Mohegan N2: I wasn't even planning to duke it out for rail at all. I got the poster secured it away safely and then went back to the WH pit line which couldn't legally be formed for hours as 4-5 people sat by the box office. By the time the poster was secured I went back to the line and there were like 10 people in line at 430ish and i got my wristband and got in line. We get to the floor and I get rail for the first time ever and have been a proponent of Broken Things coming back forever. Dave starts the song and it felt like a dream.

3. Stone Opener Mansfield. To me The Stone was the best opener of the tour period even over JTR which I have had before. It opened my first show in 2012 and every show I hope for it and during Mansfield it happened again. Wish more shows opened up with that song.

Cscottrun 11-21-2021 04:08 PM

1. Grey Street third verse return Raleigh.
2. WYA Spac.
3. Last Stop MSG.

anthonysoscia 11-21-2021 05:03 PM

3. SPAC N2 -- best show i have seen. My first BEF>Bartender had me in tears. Stone/crush/warehouse were extra special. Heavy, dark set, and they were on fire, and so was the crowd. It was intense

2. Gorge -- first time, solo Grey St opener was incredibly powerful, and what the band pulled together was amazing. The some devil run + covers the first night were great.

1. Raleigh/Charlotte tour opener + trip -- I drove down from CT, stopped in NYC, then stayed downtown Cville and did the usual stuff there (millers, blenheim, etc) and had some great food, then did the whole Raleigh experience (including WATM debut, Grey st third verse, Branford), and spontaneously decided to do Charlotte too, then back up to Cville, back to CT. That show was so special with so many tears.

JboDaveGuyYNK 11-21-2021 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18083935)
Only using the shows I went to:

Mansfield, Gilford X2, Gorge X3, Farm Aid, Mohegan X2, MSG N2 only

1. What you are MSG N2: I have seen so many rare things in the short 9 years of touring like blackjack 1st show, #34 tease on the 12 string to JTR, spoon, dreaming tree, blue warter partial, etc etc. But What You are is to me an extremely underrated spiritual experience that lived up to everything I thought it would be live. Chased it for 32 shows and got it MSGN2 for show 33. I almost cried and I don't cry during concerts.

2. Being 1st Time Rail For Broken Things at Mohegan N2: I wasn't even planning to duke it out for rail at all. I got the poster secured it away safely and then went back to the WH pit line which couldn't legally be formed for hours as 4-5 people sat by the box office. By the time the poster was secured I went back to the line and there were like 10 people in line at 430ish and i got my wristband and got in line. We get to the floor and I get rail for the first time ever and have been a proponent of Broken Things coming back forever. Dave starts the song and it felt like a dream.

3. Stone Opener Mansfield. To me The Stone was the best opener of the tour period even over JTR which I have had before. It opened my first show in 2012 and every show I hope for it and during Mansfield it happened again. Wish more shows opened up with that song.

Monizzle- just watched your tour recap video, thanks for putting it together; very entertaining. Would love to connect at a show sometime in 2022. Also- I didn't go, but growing up in Tolland, I'm a huge UConn fan. I know the early season schedule has been easy thus far, but great to see them off to such a great start. Cheers my man!

spoot388 11-21-2021 08:49 PM

1- my first time at the gorge. the entire list could easily just be about that weekend, but that would be too easy. first time walking over the hill, grey street solo opener, YNK, the D+T sets, buddy on drums, the covers, mavis staples, robert randolph & TFB, and so much more

2- the third verse returns

3- WYA and SUAD at denver after many years of being on my personal liberation list

honorable mention - introducing the band to 2 friends at the denver shows and both loving it and down to go again

OneSweetMonkey 11-22-2021 06:31 AM

1 - Absolutely, without a doubt my favorite moment... seeing them walk out on stage in Raleigh.

2 - The first return of the third verse.

3 - Two Step>Halloween at The Garden.

There are many more, but those three really stand out.

OneSweetMonkey 11-22-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 18083684)
I’m just going to do 3 from shows I attended

3. Third verse of Grey Street in the 3 slot at the tour opener. This may honestly be #1 but I’m doing a “3” thing here

2. Buddy Strong playing drums at Gorge. Completely unexpected. Not much else to say besides, thank you Buddy! You were great.

1. You Never Know Dave solo at The Gorge. The Grey Street, Ants to open N1 was amazing, but having one of my favorite songs be played Dave solo for the first time (on stage), be played flawlessly, and be played at The Gorge makes it one of the more memorable moments I will ever have at a DMB show and there’s no questioning that.

Listening to the podcast on my road trip the day before the Raleigh show was pretty cool also. It definitely got me pumped.

camptravisr 11-22-2021 07:21 AM

1. Pig
2. Minarets
3. LIOG

My favorite song, then my 2 friends' favorite songs in that order at DC N2. We couldn't believe it.

chrisjw28 11-22-2021 08:37 AM

I'll use the shows I went to.

3. The encores for Mohegan N1 AND N2 - Some Devil-Warehouse and IBYU-LIOG is just about as good as it gets in terms of unexpected choices, I left each show on such a positive note.

2. Getting to go to Mohegan N1 with my mom, who has been a fan of DMB since the early days but never went to a show. Seeing her reactions to songs like WAYG, Grey Street, Crush, Satellite and Warehouse (some of her favorites) turned into some of my best memories of DMB to date. Such a special night for the two of us!

1. The Stone opener in Mansfield. It was my first time at Mansfield, first show after the year off, and they opened the show with my favorite song. It really couldn't have been dreamed better than that. When those first notes started to the last hit at the end, I had full body chills.

Titotimmy 11-22-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjw28 (Post 18084197)
I'll use the shows I went to.

3. The encores for Mohegan N1 AND N2 - Some Devil-Warehouse and IBYU-LIOG is just about as good as it gets in terms of unexpected choices, I left each show on such a positive note.

2. Getting to go to Mohegan N1 with my mom, who has been a fan of DMB since the early days but never went to a show. Seeing her reactions to songs like WAYG, Grey Street, Crush, Satellite and Warehouse (some of her favorites) turned into some of my best memories of DMB to date. Such a special night for the two of us!

1. The Stone opener in Mansfield. It was my first time at Mansfield, first show after the year off, and they opened the show with my favorite song. It really couldn't have been dreamed better than that. When those first notes started to the last hit at the end, I had full body chills.

Funny I could have wrote this post word for word! Mohegan was right up there with SPAC in terms of show enjoyment for me, also brought my mother to N1. Mansfield was also my first show of the summer!

Dannyyankou 11-22-2021 08:52 AM

I finally saw #41 and Say Goodbye back to back this year. There was no segue between them, but still awesome lol.

I wasn't at this show but the piano solo returning to LIOG was pretty special.

And not a specific moment, but I feel like Buddy is really starting to gel with the band this year. He's been a great addition.