Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does Dave still have a drinking problem? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=356601)

#41#36#40 10-18-2021 10:53 PM

Does Dave still have a drinking problem?

Someone asked me, and with the rumors flying around that he was drunk for the 4 show run they just did.. it makes you wonder…

seanbrutus 10-18-2021 11:07 PM

Re: Does Dave still have a drinking problem?

"I’ve had a lot more drinking in my life than I would’ve if my job hadn’t put me in an environment where everybody was celebrating drinking," he says. "All the years we played clubs and frats — every single night we would be drinking and doing whatever else was happening, I still drink, and I keep my center better, I do worry about destroying my mind sometimes."

"But if I don’t have a drink for a month, I don’t — it’s harder for me to give up bread than it is to give up alcohol. But I like a drink. I grew up in an extended family that likes to drink. My mom, she enjoys a glass of wine or some whisky, but she’s quite moderate relative to my uncles — South Africans are pretty big drinkers. I’ve seen a lot of people around me go sober. The fish always gets bigger when they tell their drinking stories again, but I understand that as well."

"Maybe I’m lying to myself, but the reason I don’t really think I’m an alcoholic is because I don’t miss it when I don’t have it. There’s no question that my favorite thing about mowing the lawn is drinking the beer when I’m done, and getting to the bottom of a bottle of Jameson with a friend feels like some sort of poetic achievement — even if it’s really just two people getting drunk. I don’t know if any of that will convince anyone that I’m not an alcoholic, but I don’t have any friends who’ve said, “I think you have a drinking problem.” Maybe that’s just because when I’m drunk I’m a lot of fun."

#41#36#40 10-18-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 18064280)
"I’ve had a lot more drinking in my life than I would’ve if my job hadn’t put me in an environment where everybody was celebrating drinking," he says. "All the years we played clubs and frats — every single night we would be drinking and doing whatever else was happening, I still drink, and I keep my center better, I do worry about destroying my mind sometimes."

"But if I don’t have a drink for a month, I don’t — it’s harder for me to give up bread than it is to give up alcohol. But I like a drink. I grew up in an extended family that likes to drink. My mom, she enjoys a glass of wine or some whisky, but she’s quite moderate relative to my uncles — South Africans are pretty big drinkers. I’ve seen a lot of people around me go sober. The fish always gets bigger when they tell their drinking stories again, but I understand that as well."

"Maybe I’m lying to myself, but the reason I don’t really think I’m an alcoholic is because I don’t miss it when I don’t have it. There’s no question that my favorite thing about mowing the lawn is drinking the beer when I’m done, and getting to the bottom of a bottle of Jameson with a friend feels like some sort of poetic achievement — even if it’s really just two people getting drunk. I don’t know if any of that will convince anyone that I’m not an alcoholic, but I don’t have any friends who’ve said, “I think you have a drinking problem.” Maybe that’s just because when I’m drunk I’m a lot of fun."

Sounds like a guy trying to explain a drinking problem over 3 paragraphs..

seanbrutus 10-18-2021 11:16 PM

I mean he owns a winery and is in a band, of course he drinks.

BruceW 10-19-2021 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #41#36#40 (Post 18064275)
Someone asked me, and with the rumors flying around that he was drunk for the 4 show run they just did.. it makes you wonder…

What rumors…?

dancheatham 10-19-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 18064296)
What rumors…?

Come on man, they're flying around. You can just reach up and catch one!

dmbclstj2 10-19-2021 05:43 AM

This post is absolutely representative of a drunk that posted at 1:53AM.

jaymas9 10-19-2021 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancheatham (Post 18064297)
Come on man, they're flying around. You can just reach up and catch one!

:lol:lol:lol I don't know why, but this really got me.

nick45 10-19-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

This is my relationship with alcohol. Maybe not so frequently seeing the bottom of a bottle, but it has happened. I’m a very functional member of society, I’ve had frank discussions about my concerns with my wife and even she tells me not drinking is not a long term solution for who I am (realize this is a loaded statement). Still, alcohol is a demon, just a matter of how much you/your life partners like that demon on you.

SPAC_Boy 10-19-2021 07:30 AM

Where did this excerpt come from?

nick45 10-19-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPAC_Boy (Post 18064366)
Where did this excerpt come from?

https://kiss108.iheart.com/content/2...th-alcoholism/

nick997k 10-19-2021 08:30 AM

First off, would love to see where these "rumors" originated...

Secondly, why does the fact that he may have been drunk automatically equate to him having a drinking problem?

SeanMH 10-19-2021 08:47 AM

maybe thats why he's horrible at "normal" conversation/talking

GraceBuckley 10-19-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanMH (Post 18064433)
maybe thats why he's horrible at "normal" conversation/talking

Did Dave himself say he's "horrible at regular conversation/talking"? Or others who know him well said that?

If he said it, does he say it often?

In the years I was around the band a bit, I found as long as the conversation wasn't about him, he was fine. But also sometimes awkward or goofy, which was toally endearing.

I believe he said it, just curious about the context?

GraceBuckley 10-19-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick45 (Post 18064403)

Thanks for posting that, VERY open & honest interview. Have not seen him talk about not liking his onstage self much before.

Very curious, did this interview or any others like it elicit much of a reaction in this community when they came out?

alec 10-19-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

The bolded reminds me of this…

https://youtu.be/IAxh_CnMFuY

ToySoldier#34 10-19-2021 09:32 AM

Is the idea of him being drunk based on the setlist for the second night in Colorado?

Speilmen230 10-19-2021 10:06 AM

There were a couple people convinced he was blasted night 2 in Colorado because he fell over while doing the jumps to close out the show. I'm not buying it.

BruceW 10-19-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 18064501)
There were a couple people convinced he was blasted night 2 in Colorado because he fell over while doing the jumps to close out the show. I'm not buying it.

Sounds just like those that aren’t familiar with his way of speaking into a microphone saying he was so fucked up he couldn’t speak at “insert random show here”

Speilmen230 10-19-2021 10:14 AM

Reminds me of youtube comments from 15 years ago from people who don't know how socially awkward he is.

ToySoldier#34 10-19-2021 10:15 AM

One of the things I respect the most about Dave is his professionalism and work ethic, keeps his private life private, does gym workouts and 3 vocal sessions per day before shows at night, mistakes happen but he's on point just about always. I appreciate how committed he is to being at his best performance level and don't think he'd go on some bender for four shows in a row.

swordo84 10-19-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 18064503)
Reminds me of youtube comments from 15 years ago from people who don't know how socially awkward he is.

I've always maintained a belief that he (DJM) is on the spectrum.

Speilmen230 10-19-2021 10:33 AM

I absolutely think he is on the spectrum. It obviously has not inhibited him from having a full life, but just from an armchair perspective, he certainly has a few indicators in the way he interacts with people.

swordo84 10-19-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 18064517)
I absolutely think he is on the spectrum. It obviously has not inhibited him from having a full life, but just from an armchair perspective, he certainly has a few indicators in the way he interacts with people.

Understatement of the century right there :lol

but1well 10-19-2021 10:37 AM

Ever try to play guitar while drunk? I'm not very good at playing the guitar but it's pretty hard to not make mistakes. Add singing to the mix..

GraceBuckley 10-19-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speilmen230 (Post 18064517)

That's interesting, which indicators do you mean?

Cscottrun 10-19-2021 11:03 AM

Although I see where the belief would stem, I don't really think it's fair to make an assumption about him being on the spectrum based on instances of him talking during concerts and interviews. None of us know him on a personal level. It could all just be nervous mannerisms which doesn't necessarily put him on the spectrum.

Alpine416 10-19-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18064475)
Is the idea of him being drunk based on the setlist for the second night in Colorado?

If dave being drunk actually gets him to substitute in real encores rather than one of the same 2-3 he has been doing all tour then drink up dave.

nick45 10-19-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 18064532)
Although I see where the belief would stem, I don't really think it's fair to make an assumption about him being on the spectrum based on instances of him talking during concerts and interviews. None of us know him on a personal level. It could all just be nervous mannerisms which doesn't necessarily put him on the spectrum.

Agree. This thread is suddenly speeding quickly off the rails.
Have been to so many shows, Dave is not drunk (may be buzzed, but doubt that) but his and the rest of the bands work ethic is pretty crazy and it shows. You’re not doing what they do if your blasted. Being professional and not drinking at work is way different than getting drunk on your free time. I think that’s a major distinction.

Speilmen230 10-19-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraceBuckley (Post 18064531)
That's interesting, which indicators do you mean?

Rocking back and forth while standing still, his floppy arms/hands, avoiding eye contact. Odd speech patterns, talking in different voices as opposed to his normal speaking voice, being musically inclined... He also had a lot of trauma in his early years which could have triggered more pronounced symptoms.

Again, this is all total arm chair speculation on my part. I do not work in the field, but he certainly exhibits some signs of being on the spectrum.