Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Share your unpopular DMB opinions. (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=317529)

Xcacel 03-13-2021 12:43 AM

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Saturday morning Unpopular Thought:

I wish for a future tour that Hamilton De Holanda could be a full time touring member, so that Tim can have a break and do his solo stuff

Xcacel 03-13-2021 11:09 AM

This is going to be VERY unpopular.

“The Mid-Run of Hollywood Bowl 2018 is even better than the Mid-Run of Red Rocks ‘95”

(and they have the same artwork style).

karczews41 03-13-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17914186)
Saturday morning Unpopular Thought:

I wish for a future tour that Hamilton De Holanda could be a full time touring member, so that Tim can have a break and do his solo stuff

Hellllll yes, after seeing him at the Gorge with them it was such a treat, sorta filled in like a violin, excellent sound.

jmkratt 03-13-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17914310)

“The Mid-Run of Hollywood Bowl 2018 is even better than the Mid-Run of Red Rocks ‘95”

:lol what?

space_raven 03-15-2021 10:51 AM

Here On Out is an amazing song. I absolutely love it. Same with When I'm Weary. Beautiful, amazing song.

2 "slower" newer DMB songs, that I think are just as good, if not better than any slow song in their entire catalog.

two-by-twostep 03-15-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 17915215)
Here On Out is an amazing song. I absolutely love it. Same with When I'm Weary. Beautiful, amazing song.

2 "slower" newer DMB songs, that I think are just as good, if not better than any slow song in their entire catalog.

:thumbsup i love both of these as well. i think much of the hate comes because they're buzzkills during shows. but to me that says more about dmb's loss of dynamics since 08 (every song has the tEH eNeRgEzZZ) than the quality of the songs themselves.

looks like the original Lincoln Center version isn't on YT anymore, but it's just a lovely performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duxIj7A4Gs4

Xcacel 03-15-2021 01:39 PM

Here

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2499361736981331&_rdr

RSSR 03-15-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17914310)

I enjoy the '18 Hollywood Bowl release, mix and all, better than I do LT53. A '98 show. If it weren't for the fact that the CD is rarer, I'd spin it more than I already have. I'm on the qui vive I'd create scratches in it in that process.

SPAC_Boy 03-15-2021 08:13 PM

Anyone here have a good source for 3.7.1999? It sure if there is a SBD, matrix or a really good rape for it

bowa36 03-16-2021 07:10 AM

why does Busted Stuff suck so hard

OneSweetMonkey 03-16-2021 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17915902)

The song? Or the album?

Either way... It doesn't.

But maybe mine is the unpopular decision?

RSSR 03-16-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey (Post 17915916)
The song? Or the album?

When I listen to tLWS and Busted Stuff, the vibe I get is the band released Busted Stuff officially out of a "this is bullshit that tLWS is being downloaded as much as it is, we should be getting paid for that!!" stance, and not because aesthetically they had no other choice. It certainly feels that way as Busted Stuff's emotion is nearly scrubbed away.

kmb40oz 03-16-2021 09:01 AM

DMB has shifted their sound so much away from the core origins that they are sounding more and more like a generic 80s rock band like Aerosmith. Gone are the days of jams and intricate musical keyschanges, now we get in your face ROCK. My favorite part of DMB was that they sounded like no one else and their songs were so different. It's clear to me that that style of music is long gone and we're in for cheesy rock cover songs and power guitar solos from Tim. God, I hope I'm wrong but...I doubt it.

OneSweetMonkey 03-16-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17915939)
When I listen to tLWS and Busted Stuff, the vibe I get is the band released Busted Stuff officially out of a "this is bullshit that tLWS is being downloaded as much as it is, we should be getting paid for that!!" stance, and not because aesthetically they had no other choice. It certainly feels that way as Busted Stuff's emotion is nearly scrubbed away.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. But I still like it, a lot. It's definitely not a bad album. Just take LWS out of the equation.

Dannyyankou 03-16-2021 09:34 AM

I think the band was just so dissatisfied with everything about Everyday that they wanted to go back to tLWS and finish it. If it were about money, they’d be finishing the Batson Sessions.

grilldanmo 03-16-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17916015)
I think the band was just so dissatisfied with everything about Everyday that they wanted to go back to tLWS and finish it. If it were about money, they’d be finishing the Batson Sessions.

There's very little money to be made from selling music any longer. The numbers one needs to have to make any real money from streaming are absolutely ridiculous, especially for a band that's biggest days of popularity are more than a decade in the past. Their days of big sales are long gone, so there's little to nothing that they'd gain from finishing the Batson sessions or really releasing any other archival or new music from said sales perspective.

Despite our protestations, the release of new music from DMB is as much about fan service as it is about Dave (& sometimes the band) purging themselves of material. This may in part be to keep tours interesting by offering up new tunes to learn and "sell" to the audience. I'm all for this, with the knowledge that I may not like anything new they offer, but I prefer the risk of hearing how the muse has been affecting artists instead of hearing the same old stuff. Of course, that is still an issue given the rut of core tunes their sets revolve around.

So, there's that...

TheStone91 03-16-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17915980)
DMB has shifted their sound so much away from the core origins that they are sounding more and more like a generic 80s rock band like Aerosmith. Gone are the days of jams and intricate musical keyschanges, now we get in your face ROCK. My favorite part of DMB was that they sounded like no one else and their songs were so different. It's clear to me that that style of music is long gone and we're in for cheesy rock cover songs and power guitar solos from Tim. God, I hope I'm wrong but...I doubt it.

Thank you for this post! Spot on and I 100% agree with everything you say (sadly).

Yes, it’s true - they do sound really tight these days and seem to be happy with each other on stage, but at the end of the day, so what? It’s boring, generic rock cookie-cutter song performances nowadays. And they SHOULD sound tight since sets/song selection doesn’t vary that much. Sounding tight is only one factor that makes a band great live...

It’s like the band knows this too and is just like watev, let’s just have a good time; we’ve been doing this for so long and been through so much, so let’s not take ourselves too seriously anymore. Which is fine I guess, it’s obv their call haha, but it’s just disappointing as a fan when you know the things they’re capable of.

kmb40oz 03-16-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17916403)
Thank you for this post! Spot on and I 100% agree with everything you say (sadly).

Yes, it’s true - they do sound really tight these days and seem to be happy with each other on stage, but at the end of the day, so what? It’s boring, generic rock cookie-cutter song performances nowadays. And they SHOULD sound tight since sets/song selection doesn’t vary that much. Sounding tight is only one factor that makes a band great live...

It’s like the band knows this too and is just like watev, let’s just have a good time; we’ve been doing this for so long and been through so much, so let’s not take ourselves too seriously anymore. Which is fine I guess, it’s obv their call haha, but it’s just disappointing as a fan when you know the things they’re capable of.

Nice to hear my thoughts are validates. If they want to put out crispy clean rock songs, by all means do it. They'll hit #1 and sell out their concerts. Having said that, at least throw the old school fans a bone and release some older b sides and unreleased demos, etc.
I'll be a fan for life but I miss the older sound.

YankeesDMB41 03-16-2021 07:16 PM

I know they gave us the video of it early, but the Carter Dave Warehouse is one of the best ones of all time. If they completely surprised us with that as the Warehouse disc without the reaction would have been much better.

Whiteyxc514 03-17-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17916403)

The weird thing is that I think the current band is less than the sum of its parts. Like everyone would agree that Dave solo is great, Dave and Tim are still great, Carter is still a legend. And it seems guys like Stefan and Jeff and Rashawn are widely respected by their peers.

Shows are still a blast, but right now, it doesn't feel like the band hits its full potential in terms of what they're all capable of individually, if that makes sense.

ToySoldier#34 03-17-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 (Post 17916803)
The weird thing is that I think the current band is less than the sum of its parts. Like everyone would agree that Dave solo is great, Dave and Tim are still great, Carter is still a legend. And it seems guys like Stefan and Jeff and Rashawn are widely respected by their peers.

Shows are still a blast, but right now, it doesn't feel like the band hits its full potential in terms of what they're all capable of individually, if that makes sense.

It'd be hard for Jeff to reach his full potential while in DMB, he's insanely talented and can play anything but shines the most in jazz music, there's only so many opportunities for him to show those skills within the DMB catalog. It's why he sounds amazing on Space Between, Lover Lay Down, Say Goodbye intro etc. I'd still like to see him get more solo opportunities and much more of a presence on albums.

Foreverford05 03-17-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 17915215)

Love here on out. Great new song

two-by-twostep 03-17-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17915411)

thanks! for anyone who wants to check it out, dave's intro begins at 43:15 and Here On Out starts at 43:30

ERoths711 03-30-2021 04:44 PM

I love the studio version of Seven.

Matt83 03-30-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17915980)

2008 had electric guitars, and covers. Ending some shows with a generic ass cover of an outplayed Sly Stone song. But I guess since Roi was there in June, it doesn't count?

The band's tempo during 2010-2016 was just as obnoxiously "rock n roll" as it was at times in '18/'19.

tyler3440 03-30-2021 09:21 PM

Go back and listen to 2008 shows? Roi makes a huge difference. I like 2010-2013 period though. After 13 they got worse., but 2018 was a breath of fresh air.

Matt83 03-30-2021 09:41 PM

My point still stands, some people clamor for the old sound, yet they seem to reference the post Boyd era as the only timeline that has electric guitar solos and an uptempo sound.

The only difference is the undeniable freshness that June 2008 had compared to the played out sounds and predictable nature of the latter years featuring Butch.

bowa36 03-30-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

The song? Or the album?

the song

it does

Dodo36 03-31-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17915902)

Quote:

The song? Or the album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17925416)
the song

it does

The song had potential. "She My Bitch" was just fun and different enough to the standard sound at the time in '00. Had a different perspective and slight changes in the chorus really added to the journey of the song from start to finish, like Digging A Ditch.

When the album came out, the studio version was musically stronger but lacked an engaging vocal performance. All 14 live versions that happened '02 and later were all a disappointment.

Dodo36 03-31-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt83 (Post 17925398)
My point still stands, some people clamor for the old sound, yet they seem to reference the post Boyd era as the only timeline that has electric guitar solos and an uptempo sound.

The only difference is the undeniable freshness that June 2008 had compared to the played out sounds and predictable nature of the latter years featuring Butch.

Butch was the best regularly featured guest. I always looked forward to Butch. "Angel" got a bit long, but that song had problems right out the gate. And most arrangements post-Stand Up was a bit sterile.

Tim was a better sometimes contributor than full time member. He's still an amazing guitarist, but I always felt like he added more to the show when he was an unexpected (by the fans, at least) guest than as a sideman.

Rashawn's role was defined better when Roi was there. There were dynamics and inventiveness afoot.

Jeff was better when he was being Jeff. When he toned it down and started pretty much sticking to "What Would Roi Do?", it got tired and predictable.