Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

dt129700 10-07-2022 10:46 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

I may be in the minority, but I'm kind of over "albums" from this band. The song selection and song order has been a disappointment for almost the past two decades. Other than putting it on vinyl, what's the point of packaging all this together? What's the point of jumping the shark every 3-5 years on anticipation/hype just to slow drip drain the excitement from one of the most loyal fanbases in music history, so that by the time the thing finally comes out, there's barely anything to surprise us, or make us think. I remember spending hours trying to figure out what was being done musically on some of the songs from the Big 3/4. I spent many more hours unpacking some of those lyrics.

By the times the studio recordings get to us these days, the songs have lost all of that new car smell. It's just not the best way to consume/experience art in 2022.

At this point, just give us a new studio song every month or so. They have enough vault material to do this for many years. Heck, if they really want to put them on an album at some point, just package them together for re-release the way the Beatles did with their early single-era collection.

I think more than anything, just keeping the fanbase alive (and not going through the motions) should be the priority. Give us a new event to discuss and a new studio song to have opinions about on a regular basis. That would be so rejuvenating for these boards and the DMB faithful. I know we get that on song debuts on tours -- but imagine if that live debut coincided with a minor release of that studio song and a band released HQ audio of the live debut of the song. I'd eat that up. Take my money.

stlbluespower 10-07-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blumathu (Post 18277093)
Indeed yes. Granny was recorded for UTTAD and even considered as a single, but in the end it didn't really fit so it didn't make the album at all. The 20th anniversary edition added it as a bonus.

I hardly ever understand it when I hear a song doesn't "fit" an album. It's not really like UTTAD, or any of DMB's albums, are concept albums, or consistently thematic, to make this argument, IMO. The same with Cigarette Lit and the Some Devil album. How did Stay ever make BTCS?

Aforauer 10-07-2022 11:16 AM

Someone named ďDubsĒ on TDC said his source said the album is dropping 11/4. Probably as useless as every other rumor, but food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpine416 10-07-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt129700 (Post 18277121)
I may be in the minority, but I'm kind of over "albums" from this band. The song selection and song order has been a disappointment for almost the past two decades. Other than putting it on vinyl, what's the point of packaging all this together? What's the point of jumping the shark every 3-5 years on anticipation/hype just to slow drip drain the excitement from one of the most loyal fanbases in music history, so that by the time the thing finally comes out, there's barely anything to surprise us, or make us think. I remember spending hours trying to figure out what was being done musically on some of the songs from the Big 3/4. I spent many more hours unpacking some of those lyrics.

By the times the studio recordings get to us these days, the songs have lost all of that new car smell. It's just not the best way to consume/experience art in 2022.

At this point, just give us a new studio song every month or so. They have enough vault material to do this for many years. Heck, if they really want to put them on an album at some point, just package them together for re-release the way the Beatles did with their early single-era collection.

I think more than anything, just keeping the fanbase alive (and not going through the motions) should be the priority. Give us a new event to discuss and a new studio song to have opinions about on a regular basis. That would be so rejuvenating for these boards and the DMB faithful. I know we get that on song debuts on tours -- but imagine if that live debut coincided with a minor release of that studio song and a band released HQ audio of the live debut of the song. I'd eat that up. Take my money.

Posted this yesterday but some of your ideas are similar:

"From the vault trax" 3-5 supplement (kinda like they have already done with encore trax) with studio recordings released with a live trax. You can probably find a live show that features all/most of the songs included then you get studio releases to parallel them. Sign me up.

Instead here we are waiting for some obscure date when no other relevant act is doing anything so they can keep the #1 streak going for what will probably be another CT-esque effort.

ToySoldier#34 10-07-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 18277141)
I hardly ever understand it when I hear a song doesn't "fit" an album. It's not really like UTTAD, or any of DMB's albums, are concept albums, or consistently thematic, to make this argument, IMO. The same with Cigarette Lit and the Some Devil album. How did Stay ever make BTCS?

I get where you are coming from and agree to an extent but the placement of Stay is pretty ideal I think, it benefitted from having something light and fun where it was. Having a run of Last Stop, DDTW, Halloween, Stone while an insane run of songwriting doesn't have a ton of separation in terms of feel and emotion.

blumathu 10-07-2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 18277141)

Not sure exactly but I'm glad it was cut because I am not a fan of the studio version. Maybe they thought the same after listening back?

btpeters 10-07-2022 11:36 AM

Also, I imagine when they were working on BTCS, they envisioned Stay having very good radio single/music video potential. So it likely wasn't going anywhere. And...it 100% fits that album. There's that lovely little interlude before it an DDTW...and Stay is the perfect follow up for it.

Help Myself is the song that they scratched from BTCS. Legend goes, Halloween was supposed to go to the Scream 2 soundtrack, but they liked the recording so much, they decided on it and not Help Myself to be on BTCS. There has been some questioning of what exactly happened in recent years, but it was story (as told by Lillywhite too)for like 20 years.

theflower 10-07-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 18277142)
Someone named ďDubsĒ on TDC said his source said the album is dropping 11/4. Probably as useless as every other rumor, but food for thought

don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.

Aforauer 10-07-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 18277214)
don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.

Yeah no shot itís true. Too soon

NightShadow577 10-07-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

<div class="pre-quote">
Quote de <strong>theflower</strong>
</div>

<div class="post-quote">
<div style="font-style:italic">don't know dubs from the next guy but my god would that be out of left field at this point. seems so unlikely.</div>
</div><br>
Yeah no shot itís true. Too soon<br>
<br>
<br>
iím thinking maybe a release at earliest in january. november is entirely too early from what i think

jlatham23 10-07-2022 03:14 PM

Probably been said a few times or two here, but I am thinking a Xmas release. Two weeks or so prior to Christmas!

groogrux27 10-07-2022 08:08 PM

Iím in Denver right now listening to KBCO and they just played Tripping Billies and afterwards said that the band was putting final touches on the album and should have it out soon [emoji2371]

great_divide_4 10-07-2022 09:55 PM

From Dubs on TDC:

Co-worker lives 3 houses down from Jeff in Nashville.

Dannyyankou 10-07-2022 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 18277485)
Iím in Denver right now listening to KBCO and they just played Tripping Billies and afterwards said that the band was putting final touches on the album and should have it out soon [emoji2371]

How would they know? I'm guessing someone just listened to the Sirius interview.

We've gotten so much false hope. I always say, keep your expectations low! If there's a rumor it's coming out in a month, add two years to that!

two-by-twostep 10-07-2022 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18277500)
How would they know? I'm guessing someone just listened to the Sirius interview.

We've gotten so much false hope. I always say, keep your expectations low! If there's a rumor it's coming out in a month, add two years to that!

:lol :lol

madhatter 10-07-2022 10:10 PM

I'm very skeptical of that Dubs info, but...first Friday of the fall tour, in Seattle, where Dave lives, would make quite a bit of sense for a release date.

Cardinal 10-07-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18277153)
Also, I imagine when they were working on BTCS, they envisioned Stay having very good radio single/music video potential. So it likely wasn't going anywhere. And...it 100% fits that album. There's that lovely little interlude before it an DDTW...and Stay is the perfect follow up for it.

Help Myself is the song that they scratched from BTCS. Legend goes, Halloween was supposed to go to the Scream 2 soundtrack, but they liked the recording so much, they decided on it and not Help Myself to be on BTCS. There has been some questioning of what exactly happened in recent years, but it was story (as told by Lillywhite too)for like 20 years.

Help Myself was scratched from Crash.

Dannyyankou 10-07-2022 10:55 PM

I will say this, November 4 doesn't have much competition, so it might be their best hope at a #1. I don't care, but the band or at the very least management cares.

I still don't believe it though.

anthonysoscia 10-07-2022 11:11 PM

No way. That story doesnít really line up.

great_divide_4 10-07-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 18277518)
No way. That story doesn’t really line up.

Yeah it's not first hand information. I heard '23 as of a week ago.

anthonysoscia 10-07-2022 11:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah it's not first hand information. I heard '23 as of a week ago.
Yeah that timeline definitely seems most likely

bibby1044 10-07-2022 11:39 PM

It makes perfect sense. Next live trax is out in 2023 brenny.

BotheLaneFan 10-08-2022 12:00 AM

It’d be the dumbest thing they could do, so that’s a good call.

NewOrleans 10-08-2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18277514)
I will say this, November 4 doesn't have much competition, so it might be their best hope at a #1. I don't care, but the band or at the very least management cares.

I still don't believe it though.

Nov 4th is less distance away than they announce for a Live Trax Pre order. Most albums get announced about 10 weeks in advance these days. They'll release a single on Nov 4th at the best with the album announcement. No way it gets put out this year though.

NewOrleans 10-08-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_divide_4 (Post 18277497)
From Dubs on TDC:

Co-worker lives 3 houses down from Jeff in Nashville.

My coworker lives 7 houses up from Rashawn Ross.

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-08-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal (Post 18277510)
Help Myself was scratched from Crash.

It may have been, but the version we all know from the Scream 2 soundtrack was from an early Before These Crowded Streets session

Gunz 10-08-2022 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOrleans (Post 18277547)
My coworker lives 7 houses up from Rashawn Ross.

Is the new album coming soon?

K270 10-08-2022 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 18277223)
Yeah no shot itís true. Too soon

Could it be a surprise drop? I know it was discussed here before. I also think an insider commented on the possibility of surprise drop. Or is my mind playing tricks on me.

cmyers2 10-08-2022 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K270 (Post 18277572)
Could it be a surprise drop? I know it was discussed here before. I also think an insider commented on the possibility of surprise drop. Or is my mind playing tricks on me.

100% it was. I believe Tim's nephew Scott had mentioned that they discussed the idea of a surprise drop at some point.

DMB1JW 10-08-2022 10:41 AM

Can't wait to hear this album...

At this point some official announcement this year would be exciting. I've given up on seeing the album in 2022.