Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Aforauer 08-24-2022 08:48 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Hopefully the wait is worth it. I think they’ll pair it with the tour announcement if they intend to actually release this thing. We waited from 2012 to 2018 and got a mediocre at best effort, let’s hope this one is better. Sounds like it will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmb40oz 08-24-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18254727)
Mainly because of DMB having them open and guest on songs. Again, this isn't a knock on Jeff or the flecktones, but your not going to see that many people interested in Jeff Coffin's solo album.

The only reason I was interested in and listened to Jeff's new song was that it has Stefan, Buddy, and Marcus King on it. Curious to hear the sound of it. Listened once and that's probably it.

soxrok1 08-24-2022 09:03 AM

Not that I think that DMB necessarily would play a Jeff song... but can someone explain what exactly happened with Danny Barnes back in 2009/ 2010?

I was a fan of the band back then, but looking back, it seems like such an outlier that over a two year period, the band played two of his songs a handful of times.

Caveman was played 3 times and Road was played 6 times.

I am not a historian of this band by any means... and I do understand that ATO records is owned by Dave and it makes business sense to promote Danny Barnes.

But of all the artists that have guested/played with with DMB multiple times, including current but non-founding members of the band - and of all the artists that ATO represents...

I guess the question is, is it strange that DMB would spend all that time/energy to promote Danny Barnes' music but wouldn't support Jeffs?

ToySoldier#34 08-24-2022 09:04 AM

Instead of debating whether or not there will be interest there must be a way to look at Jeff's latest albums and see how they did within a specific context right? Not generating as much interest as DMB doesn't seem like a fair measuring stick for assessing how the product he is putting out will do

BarkRock 08-24-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18254752)
Instead of debating whether or not there will be interest there must be a way to look at Jeff's latest albums and see how they did within a specific context right? Not generating as much interest as DMB doesn't seem like a fair measuring stick for assessing how the product he is putting out will do

It wasn't a comparison between the two, rather just lack in interest in Jeff's music as a whole. His new single on Youtube has minimal views. Not saying it is an indication of how good his music is, but is some sort of benchmark for interest level.

Just stating facts here. I have favorite bands that don't get the love I think they should. It is what it is.

monizzle145 08-24-2022 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18254724)
That’s not true at all. The flecktones were a very popular touring group.

The Flecktones as a whole yes Jeff as an individual has a very small niche audience. He is respected in the pro music industry and is one of the best in the world at what he does offering clinics across the globe and having his position in academia to help the next gen of woodwind players.

But from a charts and overall sales position a Jeff Coffin project isn't going to gain much buzz and popularity even with the album being on DMB social media.

btpeters 08-24-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxrok1 (Post 18254751)
Not that I think that DMB necessarily would play a Jeff song... but can someone explain what exactly happened with Danny Barnes back in 2009/ 2010?

In 2009, Dave hit a spot on the tour where his voice took a hit and they had to cancel some shows in hopes they could still do the Gorge. He hadn't full recovered, but at the Gorge they brought out Danny Barnes, and I imagine playing Caveman and Road were in part to give Dave's voice a rest each night and make it through the weekend.

I'm sure part of that helped promote Danny's EP Pizza Box which took the nation by storm in 2009. And in 2010, Danny was a part of Robert Earl Keen's band and they probably had fun playing Road back in 2009 so just decided to do that one when he guested a couple shows as well.

During that 2007 tour, he guested on some cool stuff (Stone, Bartender, DDTW, Die Trying, LIOG, Satellite), but once Corn Bread and Spaceman came about, he appeared locked into those songs. Tho - 2010 at Deer Creek he guested on Warehouse which was an awesome version.

BarkRock 08-24-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18254777)
In 2009, Dave hit a spot on the tour where his voice took a hit and they had to cancel some shows in hopes they could still do the Gorge. He hadn't full recovered, but at the Gorge they brought out Danny Barnes, and I imagine playing Caveman and Road were in part to give Dave's voice a rest each night and make it through the weekend.

I'm sure part of that helped promote Danny's EP Pizza Box which took the nation by storm in 2009. And in 2010, Danny was a part of Robert Earl Keen's band and they probably had fun playing Road back in 2009 so just decided to do that one when he guested a couple shows as well.

During that 2007 tour, he guested on some cool stuff (Stone, Bartender, DDTW, Die Trying, LIOG, Satellite), but once Corn Bread and Spaceman came about, he appeared locked into those songs. Tho - 2010 at Deer Creek he guested on Warehouse which was an awesome version.

Was this sarcastic?

the_greatdivide 08-24-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

in 2009, dave hit a spot on the tour where his voice took a hit and they had to cancel some shows in hopes they could still do the gorge. He hadn't full recovered, but at the gorge they brought out danny barnes, and i imagine playing caveman and road were in part to give dave's voice a rest each night and make it through the weekend.

i'm sure part of that helped promote danny's ep pizza box which took the nation by storm in 2009. And in 2010, danny was a part of robert earl keen's band and they probably had fun playing road back in 2009 so just decided to do that one when he guested a couple shows as well.

During that 2007 tour, he guested on some cool stuff (stone, bartender, ddtw, die trying, liog, satellite), but once corn bread and spaceman came about, he appeared locked into those songs. Tho - 2010 at deer creek he guested on warehouse which was an awesome version.

Sorry, what?

btpeters 08-24-2022 12:22 PM

Come on, guys :lol

Brenny, you especially have to know I was joking.

Speilmen230 08-24-2022 12:30 PM

Woooosh!

Jordan#41 08-24-2022 12:52 PM

Another day of no album news!

kmb40oz 08-24-2022 02:14 PM

Maybe Dave is scared as shit at the idea of putting out another album that isn't respected. It must be hard to write songs you think are good and then your fans don't appreciate your work. Dave seems to have gotta bit skeptical of his own ability and is sensitive to the ideas of others. Are they afraid of the idea of losing their fastball? Do they even have a fastball?

Gunz 08-24-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18254727)
Mainly because of DMB having them open and guest on songs. Again, this isn't a knock on Jeff or the flecktones, but your not going to see that many people interested in Jeff Coffin's solo album.

I’m gonna disagree with the first line. The flecktones were are a different breed. Obviously dmb has sold more tickets but the members of that band are well known.

Gunz 08-24-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18254771)
The Flecktones as a whole yes Jeff as an individual has a very small niche audience. He is respected in the pro music industry and is one of the best in the world at what he does offering clinics across the globe and having his position in academia to help the next gen of woodwind players.

But from a charts and overall sales position a Jeff Coffin project isn't going to gain much buzz and popularity even with the album being on DMB social media.

Duh

More characters

bibby1044 08-24-2022 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 18254955)
Maybe Dave is scared as shit at the idea of putting out another album that isn't respected. It must be hard to write songs you think are good and then your fans don't appreciate your work. Dave seems to have gotta bit skeptical of his own ability and is sensitive to the ideas of others. Are they afraid of the idea of losing their fastball? Do they even have a fastball?

It started with standup right. He and the band was so overconfident with it that they abandoned the direction of tbe 04 songs for it and had another flub right after the busted stuff ED debacle. That had to hurt.

But I’m sure that’s what it is. He lost confidence at some point of his own judgement. Hopefully he’s finding it again.

ToySoldier#34 08-24-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

There are several songs he / they have written over the last few years that are highly respected, consistency and quality in the studio are big issues

bigeyedpigs 08-24-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18254974)
It started with standup right. He and the band was so overconfident with it that they abandoned the direction of tbe 04 songs for it and had another flub right after the busted stuff ED debacle. That had to hurt.

But I’m sure that’s what it is. He lost confidence at some point of his own judgement. Hopefully he’s finding it again.

I don't know what it is, but they probably have an albums worth of material if not two of good songs they don't release. After the batson sessions leaked it's really head scratching to see the songs they actually chose to release as opposed to what they could have. If he is the one actually choosing to shelf break free or break for it for stuff like hunger and bayou, im not sure what that it is. If he can release hunger and some of the other bottom of the barrel ones, and keep them in rotation on tours, he doesn't have a confidence issue.

LynchFS 08-24-2022 04:40 PM

I’d say they have not lost confidence, in fact they’re probably more confident now than they’ve ever been. Whats change is their age and perspective. They’re going to put out this album and it will suit some and it will not suit others. That has been the reality since the day they put out music. Us fans just gotta be patient. Though as a big fan I understand the angst, I feel it too!! Fingers crossed for an answer next week or sooner or at least some news!

BarkRock 08-24-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18254962)
I’m gonna disagree with the first line. The flecktones were are a different breed. Obviously dmb has sold more tickets but the members of that band are well known.

Where did you hear about Bela Fleck and the Flecktones from?

For me it was them opening for DMB. I am assuming the overwhelming majority of people in here had some sort of DMB intro. Same with Danny B.

Cptn. Monkeyman 08-24-2022 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18255052)
Where did you hear about Bela Fleck and the Flecktones from?

For me it was them opening for DMB. I am assuming the overwhelming majority of people in here had some sort of DMB intro. Same with Danny B.

I started listening to them before I got into DMB. My high school friends in the music program turned me on to Victor Wooten because I played bass.

They also had a following in the early 90s well before they started touring with DMB (way before my time, I graduated HS in 2011)

Cptn. Monkeyman 08-24-2022 06:49 PM

Believe it or not, the Flecktones are why I got into DMB not visa-versa. My brother was into DMB and he knew I loved Vic and Bela, so he gave me a copy of LT 7, and it finally clicked for me then. After LT 7 I borrowed Remember Two Things and a couple other CDs, and before I knew it, I was going to my first DMB show (DTE 6.25.14)

madhatter 08-24-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

The band was ready to release an album a year ago. They're not scared of putting one out. [emoji2357]

Not to mention the fact that the response to the new songs they've played as so far been almost entirely positive.

ElijahSoRight72 08-24-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18255097)
The band was ready to release an album a year ago. They're not scared of putting one out. [emoji2357]

Not to mention the fact that the response to the new songs they've played as so far been almost entirely positive.

I really hope once this album is out in the open, we can learn more about what that original album was going to be, and what changes they made.

willndmb 08-24-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18254864)
Was this sarcastic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_greatdivide (Post 18254872)
Sorry, what?

Lmao
Yeah more likely because he is on ATO Records and it was a way to plug him, the album and label

ericvol 08-24-2022 08:06 PM

Crickets this week sadly….

ElijahSoRight72 08-24-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 18255127)
Crickets this week sadly….

Don’t fret yet, friend. All will be revealed with the fall tour announcement, win or lose, we’ll know about the album chances this year. Just a couple weeks away.

dreamingtree_34 08-24-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

They lost their fast ball at the close of the 20th century. Even people with with the highest expectations at this point are hoping for a knuckle ball in the strike zone at best for this project. But if it really is the case that they don't feel strong about the record- I'm totally on board with not releasing it. Just admit that as a unit they can no longer complete a record that they can stand by-- we haven't had a non asterisk record since BTCS. The best business play for tour sales in 2023 would probably be to lean in on the 25th anniversary BTCS release, and to perform the record in full at every tour stop

Muirk 08-24-2022 09:26 PM

I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones the first time at the very first Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee. Bela Fleck was a magician, doing things with his instrument at a higher level than I've ever seen. The rest of the band was PERFECT and everyone sounded so good, so tight, so incredibly good at their instruments. Future Man was operating on an even higher plane.

I remember when they played the song Big Country, that buildup was the greatest musical moment I've ever witnessed. Jeff Coffin was flawless on the saxophone. When he "dueled" Victor Wooten playing bass, I about lost my mind. Jeff was wailing on two saxophones at the same time, crushing every note, with everyone in the audience absolutely screaming and I said that's it, that's the best saxophone player in the world. Not just the two sax thing, but his mastery of the instrument was extraordinary.

bibby1044 08-25-2022 05:42 AM

It really is a shame if Jeff or other members aren’t involved in writing process. But not knowing the history since big whiskey, perhaps Dave thinks the reason for the lackluster music from previous sessions was due to other members having too much input?? Maybe hes actually trying to go back to the beginning of building the music himself. That could be his motivation but it seems Jeff shld certainly be more involved given his talent. I even liked the style of the first song off his new album. Just different. He’s got exactly what they need.