Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

grilldanmo 10-14-2020 10:28 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 17805209)
Definitely lots of material left over from the combined CT/old Batson sessions... Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, Be Yourself, Plastic Girl maybe although I hope we never hear it again, plus they supposedly worked on Shotgun, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, #40, Sweet Up and Down, Break Free, Break for It, Blackjack, etc. on and off during those various sessions. I wouldn't mind an album of completely new material, or a few old ones mixed in with all new. Either way I still hope all of those unreleased and completed songs see the light of day eventually, including some of the tunes from leaked Batson sessions. Hope one day the band just opens the vaults and does a huge B-sides release.

My wife and I were talking about how there might be a bunch of artists from the era where they still made significant money from selling "albums". Those that sold lots of CDs and/or even digital versions of albums before the streaming services took over. We wondered how many might have sat on stuff with the notion of selling a rarities/b-side/leftovers/whatever album or adding these tunes to "mega super deluxe limited edition" reissues of albums whose sessions were the source/root of the songs or when they originally intended to release the tunes (like DMB did w/ Granny on the UtTaD reissue).

That said, we doubt that was the plan by the band, but I can imagine management thinking this and not necessarily encouraging the release of extra tracks or loosies. One can easily picture them hoping to use them as incentive to sell reissues, box sets, or the like. And now, you only sell a relative handful of these to die hard fans. In the case of DMB many of them will likely complain about these versions and prefer demo versions and/or live versions. I think the exception might be posthumous releases, like w/ Petty's Wildflowers & All the Rest release.

Regardless, we'd buy any "new" material/collection of songs from the band (and/or Dave) whenever they're ready to set it free. Willingly throwing caution to wind and just hoping we like the music.

DMBvol41 10-14-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17804261)
There are tons of "jams" from the Big Whiskey sessions that exist but have not leaked (and I doubt they will).

I seem to recall reading (but not sure where), that there weren't many (or possibly any) left over CT songs.

There are also some improv/jams leftover from the AFTW sessions.

It's also likely that we do not know about a good portion of the studio sessions, so it's safe to assume there's tons of recorded stuff we do not know about and that may or may not be released in the future.

I would love to hear the BW jams. One of the inside the studio videos is missing I can't find it. But it had this awesome little jam at the beginning that kinda sounded like One Sweet World. Anyone have that clip??

WhereYouGoin 10-14-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 17805209)
Definitely lots of material left over from the combined CT/old Batson sessions... Bismarck, Death on the High Seas, Be Yourself, Plastic Girl maybe although I hope we never hear it again, plus they supposedly worked on Shotgun, Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, #40, Sweet Up and Down, Break Free, Break for It, Blackjack, etc. on and off during those various sessions. I wouldn't mind an album of completely new material, or a few old ones mixed in with all new. Either way I still hope all of those unreleased and completed songs see the light of day eventually, including some of the tunes from leaked Batson sessions. Hope one day the band just opens the vaults and does a huge B-sides release.

Its been a while since there was anything completely new so maybe somewhere down the line.

WhereYouGoin 10-15-2020 02:56 PM

It’s been 17 years since Some Devil. I wonder if somewhere down the line will be a second Dave solo album (could have same people as Some Devil). I bet if it’s in the RCA contract it may happen.

kmb40oz 10-15-2020 04:12 PM

This is old news buy Brady Blade mentioned that he was doing some work with Dave in 2017.

Next year, Im working with Dave, Blade revealed. I think hes got to do another solo record, so we might get together on that.

https://jambands.com/news/2016/09/14...ecord-in-2017/

grilldanmo 10-15-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhereYouGoin (Post 17806323)
Its been 17 years since Some Devil. I wonder if somewhere down the line will be a second Dave solo album (could have same people as Some Devil). I bet if its in the RCA contract it may happen.

As I've previously stated, my wife and had hoped that Dave would've gone forward with DMB AND D&F like Jerry did w/ the Dead and the JGB.

From everything folks have found and read, DMB didn't care the D&F thing, especially the tour that excluded them. So maybe Dave doesn't want/intend to rock the boat again? It was still great to hear his music through a different filter. That said, we've gotten quite a few different filters w/in the band itself...

WhereYouGoin 10-15-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17806390)
This is old news buy Brady Blade mentioned that he was doing some work with Dave in 2017.

Next year, Im working with Dave, Blade revealed. I think hes got to do another solo record, so we might get together on that.

https://jambands.com/news/2016/09/14...ecord-in-2017/

Maybe someday down the horizon. 17 years is a long time so maybe at some point.

Holemandaddy 10-16-2020 03:21 PM

At this point in DMB career, I wish they would just be more open with their prior work. Gather all the discarded B-sides, tweak it a bit if you absolutely need to, and put them on an official record. I love what Radiohead has done with their discography. It feels like pretty much everything they've ever recorded has an official release and I wish DMB and Dave in particular would be more willing to let some of this work out into the open.

grilldanmo 10-16-2020 04:29 PM

I would restate what I've stated and restated previously, but no one gives a flying fig Newman. And I get it, I really do.

Cheers all.

maythekarma1 10-16-2020 05:39 PM

Still kills me they recorded Sugar Will and Bismarck, and thought "nah, dont release those. Let's release Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow instead." SMFH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SeekUpTheCubs 10-16-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maythekarma1 (Post 17807136)
Still kills me they recorded Sugar Will and Bismarck, and thought "nah, dont release those. Let's release Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow instead." SMFH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are really the songs you want to use for this? Really?

elconguero 10-17-2020 01:05 AM

Yeah, I think what he is saying is Sugar Will and Bismarck are very good and Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are God awful. Checks out.

elconguero 10-17-2020 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17807111)
I would restate what I've stated and restated previously, but no one gives a flying fig Newman. And I get it, I really do.

Cheers all.

Your statement is false as many people that visit this board obviously do care. Maybe the band and management dont care but some of their fans certainly do. Whats the point of sitting on it at this point? Just release it as is. Especially in these times. Would be nice to do something to add a little light to the darkness. Go on SNL and play Kill the King and Black Jack. Do something different and unexpected for once.

ToySoldier#34 10-17-2020 01:13 AM

Baby Blue - not God awful

grilldanmo 10-17-2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17807305)
Your statement is false as many people that visit this board obviously do care. Maybe the band and management dont care but some of their fans certainly do. Whats the point of sitting on it at this point? Just release it as is. Especially in these times. Would be nice to do something to add a little light to the darkness. Go on SNL and play Kill the King and Black Jack. Do something different and unexpected for once.

You totally misread what I was stating. I've been saying they should release EVERYTHING and ANYTHING since I starting posting on these forums.

I was saying no one gives a shit about what I have to say on the topic.

jmkratt 10-17-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs (Post 17807284)
Baby Blue and Come Tomorrow are really the songs you want to use for this? Really?

Sugar Will & Bismarck > Baby Blue & Come Tomorrow

spider-man 10-19-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17807320)
Sugar Will & Bismarck > Baby Blue & Come Tomorrow

Correction: Baby Blue, Sugar Will & Bismarck >>>> Come Tomorrow

mquerques92 10-20-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider-man (Post 17808505)
Correction: Baby Blue, Sugar Will & Bismarck >>>> Come Tomorrow

Eh, both are true

jmkratt 10-20-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17808927)
Eh, both are true

No argument here

YankeesDMB41 10-20-2020 06:48 PM

I actually forgot Baby Blue was a song.

Gravedigger789 10-22-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17809347)
I actually forgot Baby Blue was a song.

It shouldnt be. Its basically Sister.

camptravisr 10-22-2020 10:24 AM

Baby Blue is great, y'all are crazy. Dave solo version from the Gorge Webcast 2011 is what I always go back to. It's on my iPod (lol) with all my obscure DMB shows that I keep in the car

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 12:49 PM

Anyone catch the Sirius xm interview where he literally said he just wrote a bunch in Virginia, then called Carter up, then Buddy and Tim, then Stefan, and then Rashawn and Jeff????!!! The band was just recording in Charlottesville. Have I missed anyone talking about this!!??

dontdrink36 10-22-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 17810572)
Anyone catch the Sirius xm interview where he literally said he just wrote a bunch in Virginia, then called Carter up, then Buddy and Tim, then Stefan, and then Rashawn and Jeff????!!! The band was just recording in Charlottesville. Have I missed anyone talking about this!!??

I did not catch it but this is certainly interesting.

anthonysoscia 10-22-2020 01:52 PM

Yup. All new tunes, and he talked about a new unreleased song that he said is one of the best songs hes written. They recorded with Evans, and it sounded like more of a spur of the moment thing. No other names mentioned.

jmkratt 10-22-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 (Post 17810456)
It shouldnt be. Its basically Sister.

Truth...

SeekUpTheCubs 10-22-2020 02:05 PM

That just played on the radio? Was there a special interview scheduled today or is it just playing randomly

jmkratt 10-22-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

I think I like the order of those calls... I think.

dontdrink36 10-22-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonysoscia (Post 17810608)
Yup. All new tunes, and he talked about a new unreleased song that he said is one of the best songs hes written. They recorded with Evans, and it sounded like more of a spur of the moment thing. No other names mentioned.

Wait, what? Seems like a lot of random detail to be let out in a Sirius interview. I can't wait to see what comes from this.

TrampledUnderw. 10-22-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

a buddy told me something about a song called "walking around the moon"??? is there a way to hear it? did they play it on the show?