Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

theflower 07-23-2021 11:49 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17992953)
Well with the album not being close to done there is still hope it gets nixed. Can only hope. Reminds me of Mercy on AFTW. Would enjoy that album more without that. Has he not figured out his on the nose political commentary songs are not good. Mercy, Come Tomorrow, SFTW.

I miss the Cry Freedoms, DDTW more creative ways to state his beliefs.

how the fuck is mercy or sftw "on the nose"? Do you know what that phrase means? lol. good god. How the hell is CT even "on the nose"? you people are crazy.

ElijahSoRight72 07-23-2021 11:49 PM

I gotta say- that setlist looked fine in general. But for a show that was so hotly anticipated and practiced for two weeks, that set wasn’t nearly as exciting as I expected. I don’t like complaining so early, but this show was a big deal, and on paper it didn’t seem like they rose to the occasion.

crounsa810 07-23-2021 11:50 PM

I'm thinking after seeing the reaction to the new songs tonight, as well as the new songs since Big Whiskey: is it possible that we all just want to hear really cool studio songs that just never get played in a live setting? Because if you think about it, we've all pretty much heavily disliked new songs when they show up live but end up loving some studio treatments. Like I don't think any of us are begging for VITR or Come On Come On to be played live, but the studio cuts are pretty great. Almost all of AFTW didn't translate live but the studio versions are pretty enjoyable, Big Whiskey was a decent album with songs we all groan at live. Is it possible that Cavallo and the loss of Roi caused a shift in the band that's made them more of a studio band regarding new material as opposed to a great live band with decent studio recordings?

smb41 07-23-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuebbing (Post 17992958)
and SDL and Sweet were played solo on his Live By Request. I wouldn't count those as true liberations. It was an ok show and I enjoyed it, but just standard show that could have been played at anytime in the past 4 years (outside the "new" songs)

Right--a song being liberated alone doesn't have any bearing on the quality of a show. And given that it's been a year and half since we've had any full-band show at all (nearly half the time it takes for a song to fall into the liberation category), the term has lost some meaning this tour.

joshg 07-23-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17992967)
I gotta say- that setlist looked fine in general. But for a show that was so hotly anticipated and practiced for two weeks, that set wasn’t nearly as exciting as I expected. I don’t like complaining so early, but this show was a big deal, and on paper it didn’t seem like they rose to the occasion.

They don't seem to like occasions. It's the 30th year anniversary.
It was mentioned by the interviewer with Dave before the show and Dave didn't acknowledge it. He was like, "Who gives a fuck?"

crounsa810 07-23-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

To be fair, I would hope they didn't spend 3 weeks rehearsing JUST the songs they played tonight. We've got an entire tour ahead of us, who knows what great things could come from future shows. I would really hope they didn't blow their load with the first show back

ericvol 07-23-2021 11:54 PM

It was a very solid show which is a damn good concert for this band
I’m excited for the new songs, think the two we heard have great album potential and I think could be good live too!

smb41 07-23-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17992966)
how the fuck is mercy or sftw "on the nose"? Do you know what that phrase means? lol. good god. How the hell is CT even "on the nose"? you people are crazy.

I think he's saying that songs with lyrics on the more vague side, even if they're addressing some kind of contemporary issue, tend to be more powerful. Songs like DDTW and Cry Freedom are more effective than Mercy and Come Tomorrow because they rely on ambiguity and creative imagery rather than cheap political jargon.

8nalive 07-23-2021 11:56 PM

That's part of why we are!

karczews41 07-23-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Good set. I'm not a musician so I don't know how much that comes into my opinion compared to others, but I think they did a bang up job and aside from a few flubs. They sounded in sync for almost all of it and they screwed along with a few songs in ways I appreciated (Sweet, Nancies end jam, etc.) I think it's must be tough to get back up with a full band and hit the road running at full speed with as many deep cut breakouts that maybe people were expecting. Loving the new material so far, wish Windows got some full band treatment tonight to see what it could become but the others sounded great. WATM I predict will grow on me and have perhaps a nice call and response component to it.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17992984)
I think he's saying that songs with lyrics on the more vague side, even if they're addressing some kind of contemporary issue, tend to be more powerful. Songs like DDTW and Cry Freedom are more effective than Mercy and Come Tomorrow because they rely on ambiguity and creative imagery rather than cheap political jargon.

SFTWs, Mercy, and CT are 100 times more "vague" than DDTW and, probably, CF. "all i can say to my knew neighbors is you must move on or i will bury you." i mean, how much more literal do you get? Don't drink the water, theres blood in water? a bit more "on the nose" than "let the children lead" and "mercy what will be come of us"

ToySoldier#34 07-24-2021 12:02 AM

Just here to say Mercy is a good song

desertdogesq 07-24-2021 12:02 AM

Some of you people are crazy. It was a good show for an opener. Lots of new material, an awesome guest, and lots of good classic jams with fresh takes. I swear some of you would win the powerball and piss and moan about the tax consequences associated rather than celebrating $200-million. Lots of potential with the new work. And it met the moment we are all living in: fresh steps backs towards old familiarity, with some fits of uncertainty and relearning old tasks we took for granted.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17992997)
Just here to say Mercy is a good song

amen. love it. outro is what outro on B&BB could have been.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdogesq (Post 17992999)
Some of you people are crazy. It was a good show for an opener. Lots of new material, an awesome guest, and lots of good classic jams with fresh takes. I swear some of you would win the powerball and piss and moan about the tax consequences associated rather than celebrating $200-million. Lots of potential with the new work. And it met the moment we are all living in: fresh steps backs towards old familiarity, with some fits of uncertainty and relearning old tasks we took for granted.

yes. this.

madhatter 07-24-2021 12:08 AM

Quote:

Well said.

smb41 07-24-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17992995)
SFTWs, Mercy, and CT are 100 times more "vague" than DDTW and, probably, CF. "all i can say to my knew neighbors is you must move on or i will bury you." i mean, how much more literal do you get? Don't drink the water, theres blood in water? a bit more "on the nose" than "let the children lead" and "mercy what will be come of us"

This isn't a matter of "liberal" vs. "conservative," it's a matter of creativity and lyrical effort. Regardless of where it might fall on the political spectrum, DDTW evokes strong images and makes the listener think--someone hearing it for the first time might need to digest it and re-listen a few times before understanding what the song may or may not be about. The same can't be said for songs like Mercy. From a lyrical standpoint, it's a blatantly activist song with lazy lyrics that rely on banal political catchphrases. DDTW is an objectively good piece of songwriting. Most of Mercy could've been written by a 5th grader working on a social studies project.

joeyray34 07-24-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Well said

Dannyyankou 07-24-2021 12:18 AM

I would’ve enjoyed that show

theflower 07-24-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17993011)
This isn't a matter of "liberal" vs. "conservative," it's a matter of creativity and lyrical effort. Regardless of where it might fall on the political spectrum, DDTW evokes strong images and makes the listener think--someone hearing it for the first time might need to digest it and re-listen a few times before understanding what the song may or may not be about. The same can't be said for songs like Mercy. From a lyrical standpoint, it's a blatantly activist song with lazy lyrics that rely on banal political catchphrases. DDTW is an objectively good piece of songwriting. Most of Mercy could've been written by a 5th grader working on a social studies project.

dude. let it go. your analysis is critically flawed. DDTW is about one thing. It has nothing to do with left v. right, republican v. democrat. It is literally about one thing. no one with a brain can refute that. Mercy on the other hand, is not. You can say all you want that it's "blantant" and "activist" and "lazy' and i'll tell you any person, on either side of the political spectrum could make the song an anthem for their cause, which is like the antithesis of "on the nose", which is the comment i originally responded to which you are ardently defending. For god sake, "mercy" provided motivation for my sister to leave a failing marriage. You could make it about anything. DDTW? not so much. CF? no. art is in the eye of the beholder but your arguments regarding the nature of these songs, and the literalness of their lyrics is, well. well, it's wrong.

KClaw 07-24-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Agree! Nice new jams on old songs here and there. Dave sounded good. Glad to have them back! Enjoyed the new stuff. New album has potential.

joeyray34 07-24-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17993014)
I would’ve enjoyed that show

Agreed but what songs do you think are liberal

smb41 07-24-2021 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993015)
dude. let it go. your analysis is critically flawed. DDTW is about one thing. It has nothing to do with left v. right, republican v. democrat. It is literally about one thing. no one with a brain can refute that. Mercy on the other hand, is not. You can say all you want that it's "blantant" and "activist" and "lazy' and i'll tell you any person, on either side of the political spectrum could make the song an anthem for their cause, which is like the antithesis of "on the nose", which is the comment i originally responded to which you are ardently defending. For god sake, "mercy" provided motivation for my sister to leave a failing marriage. You could make it about anything. DDTW? not so much. CF? no. art is in the eye of the beholder but your arguments regarding the nature of these songs, and the literalness of their lyrics is, well. well, it's wrong.

No need to get heated here, just expressing my POV like you are. I simply think DDTW makes a more compelling artistic statement than Mercy. Agree to disagree.

joeyray34 07-24-2021 12:23 AM

I’m a little taken aback they didn’t play every song I wanted to hear but there is always tomorrow.

seanbrutus 07-24-2021 12:24 AM

Lots of whiners in here I see.

Great show. Not perfect, but three new song debuts, return of third verse, a guest, and an odd yet endearing encore. It felt good being there.

ElijahSoRight72 07-24-2021 12:25 AM

Just to be clear, I expected a little more out of the paper setlist for the “event” this show felt like. I think the set was pretty good and I certainly think there will be more surprises to come.

Can’t help but feel a little discouraged that the album still isn’t done and that SFTW is still just Dave solo. Excited to hear how OATB and WATM sounds.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17993021)
No need to get heated here, just expressing my POV like you are. I simply think DDTW makes a more compelling artistic statement than Mercy. Agree to disagree.

not heated. i, i, i, love you.

in all seriousness, i just disagree that windows, walk around the moon, and mercy are "on the nose." that's it. Totally different from the abstract lyrical approach dave took in the 90s with much of their stuff, but not on the nose. in fact, i think windows is the opposite of on the nose. it's a unifying, everyone should be able to agree to the sentiment type of song.

again, no hard feelings. xoxo.

joshg 07-24-2021 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KClaw (Post 17993016)
Agree! Nice new jams on old songs here and there. Dave sounded good. Glad to have them back! Enjoyed the new stuff. New album has potential.

Were you patched in on an ISDN line or were you listening on Sirius, like the rest of us, where he sounded extremely meh?

joshg 07-24-2021 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993027)
not heated. i, i, i, love you.

in all seriousness, i just disagree that windows, walk around the moon, and mercy are "on the nose." that's it. Totally different from the abstract lyrical approach dave took in the 90s with much of their stuff, but not on the nose. in fact, i think windows is the opposite of on the nose. it's a unifying, everyone should be able to agree to the sentiment type of song.

again, no hard feelings. xoxo.

I think the most interesting DMB-related thing tonight is how your sister left her husband after hearing "Mercy."

theflower 07-24-2021 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993030)
I think the most interesting DMB-related thing tonight is how your sister left her husband after hearing "Mercy."

lol. you got me. but it proves my point. no ones leaving their husband to don't drink the water.

notorious v.i.g 07-24-2021 12:34 AM

It was a great show IMO

floodflood 07-24-2021 12:37 AM

:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

TheStone91 07-24-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. 100% agree with/see what you’re saying here.

madhatter 07-24-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993030)

Why are you even here? Like, seriously, what do you get out of it?

theflower 07-24-2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 17993040)

s(he's) a baiter. no worries. What did YOU think of the show?:violent

joshg 07-24-2021 12:42 AM

Quote:

Not complicated. Favorite band. Learn some new things from the super old schools. Dave writes about one good tune a year. Still go to a show or two per year. Pretty much what you would think.

Xcacel 07-24-2021 12:42 AM

In case you did not read the SiriusXM thread, here is tonight rip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17993034)
Here is an anticipation of the rip of tonight show:
07.23.2021 - Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek - Raleigh, NC

https://mega.nz/folder/eUIClTYR#NZma9p7EcLULm7BiOxPhrw

theflower 07-24-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993045)
Not complicated. Favorite band. Learn some new things from the super old schools. Dave writes about one good tune a year. Still go to a show or two per year. Pretty much what you would think.

you're very brave.

hoiter2005 07-24-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Social Studies teacher here. If there's a 5th grader writing those songs as their class work, I'd love to be teaching that classroom.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

joshg 07-24-2021 12:49 AM

Quote:

I first posted today talking about my love for Ocean and the Butterfly, so you might not have me correctly pegged for the simple naysayer that you have conjured up in your basic, and I stress the word "basic" as a potential euphemism for something else, assessment.

joshg 07-24-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993050)
you're very brave.

I mean, your "drop the mic moments" are about the artistic quality of a Smooth Rider.

madhatter 07-24-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993052)
I first posted today talking about my love for Ocean and the Butterfly, so you might not have me correctly pegged for the simple naysayer that you have conjured up in your basic, and I stress the word "basic" as a potential euphemism for something else, assessment.

Sorry, I must have missed that in your stream of complaints. I'll do better research next time so I can find the one thing you actually do like.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993053)
I mean, your "drop the mic moments" are about the artistic quality of a Smooth Rider.

are you feeling sensitive? also, is smooth rider good or bad in your mind? From the character of YOUR posts, it's not clear. i'll explain so you get it: i don't know if you're complimenting me or not.

joshg 07-24-2021 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993057)
are you feeling sensitive? also, is smooth rider good or bad in your mind? From the character of YOUR posts, it's not clear. i'll explain so you get it: i don't know if you're complimenting me or not.

No I get it. And you should too, at least one would hope so, considering that the song is panned universally across 99.9999% of the fan base.

theflower 07-24-2021 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993058)
No I get it. And you should too, at least one would hope so, considering that the song is panned universally across 99.9999% of the fan base.

oh good point. i should base my opinions on what everyone else thinks. Hopefully you're a parent.

joshg 07-24-2021 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993059)
oh good point. i should base my opinions on what everyone else thinks. Hopefully you're a parent.

Nope. Oh boy. Straw man argument at its finest. The conversation was whether or not statement's meaning should be hard to derive considering that the accepted opinion is universal.

Not whether or not opinions should be swayed by others. Stay on topic.

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 01:05 AM

You guys should debate this somewhere else. This could go on for days or weeks.

ToySoldier#34 07-24-2021 01:06 AM

Just riveting stuff here

theflower 07-24-2021 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993060)
Nope. Oh boy. Straw man argument at its finest. The conversation was whether or not statement's meaning should be hard to derive considering that the accepted opinion is universal.

Not whether or not opinions should be swayed by others. Stay on topic.

not to belabor a point and advance a concept that will go over your head, but YOU suggested that i should be able to discern and assign value to a sentiment "99.9999%" of the "fan base" hold, and then you stated further that i'm missing the point because i'm not recognizing the "universal" opinion of people around here. My point is, if i'm not focused on the "universal" opinion of people around here (as you clearly are) it's difficult to discern what it is. like... right? hence my comment. Don't teach your kids to put much stock in what the "universal" sentiment of any group is. Group think is dangerous JoshG. you're better than this.

theflower 07-24-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 17993063)
You guys should debate this somewhere else. This could go on for days or weeks.

touche. Lol. i usually stay far above the trolling. but alas i am human. and guilty in this case. moving on.

theflower 07-24-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17993064)
Just riveting stuff here

also yes, touche. guilty. moving on.

joshg 07-24-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993065)
not to belabor a point and advance a concept that will go over your head, but YOU suggested that i should be able to discern and assign value to a sentiment "99.9999%" of the "fan base" hold, and then you stated further that i'm missing the point because i'm not recognizing the "universal" opinion of people around here. My point is, if i'm not focused on the "universal" opinion of people around here (as you clearly are) it's difficult to discern what it is. like... right? hence my comment. Don't teach your kids to put much stock in what the "universal" sentiment of any group is. Group think is dangerous JoshG. you're better than this.

When you read an article, do you lower yourself to believe in the universal accepted truth of word definitions or are you a renegade vocabulary martyr?

dmbcriggidy 07-24-2021 01:13 AM

I personally think you’re a little crazy if you didn’t enjoy Walk Around The Moon but what do I know. I like what I like

theflower 07-24-2021 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshg (Post 17993073)
When you read an article, do you lower yourself to believe in the universal accepted truth of word definitions or are you a renegade vocabulary martyr?

Renegade vocabulary martyr/free thinker. Actually, MR. Renegade Vocabulary Martyr to you.

theflower 07-24-2021 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbcriggidy (Post 17993074)
I personally think you’re a little crazy if you didn’t enjoy Walk Around The Moon but what do I know. I like what I like

agree. i mean, it's not bartender. but man.... weird little song that made me want to listen to it again.

alec 07-24-2021 01:21 AM

Instead of debating, why not watch this video of Grace Is Gone slowed way down…

https://youtu.be/HHP4lNakXls

theflower 07-24-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 17993082)
Instead of debating, why not watch this video of Grace Is Gone slowed way down…

https://youtu.be/HHP4lNakXls

this feels like it's working. i'm feeling hypnotized. it's like andre the giant singing grace is gone to me. priceless.

alec 07-24-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993085)
this feels like it's working. i'm feeling hypnotized. it's like andre the giant singing grace is gone to me. priceless.

Hahaha! Totally. It really does have a weird effect.

smb41 07-24-2021 01:29 AM

I think WATM has the potential to be as good or better than anything on the last two albums.

theflower 07-24-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb41 (Post 17993088)
I think WATM has the potential to be as good or better than anything on the last two albums.

that's awesome. i hope i get there. for now, it's totally filling the base-level hopes i wanted which was not to understand the song fully at first level. i've now listened to it 5 times and i kind of get it but have a lot of questions lol. i think this is a good thing. when BTCS came out, many people were like "wtf is this."

BearambleAmble 07-24-2021 01:33 AM

Ocean/Butterfly is a great little tune and the band adds a lot to it
Walk Around The Moon had some good trippy sounds to it and I’m pumped for a studio cut

I enjoyed these two tonight more than the debut of Again Again/Bismarck. And I dig those tunes quite a bit

Windows is not good. And not enjoyable at a concert at all. Sorry I had to hear it tonight

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 01:42 AM

Just listened to WATM for the first time. It’s weird but I like it a lot. The album version should be great. The Only Thing I’m not sure about are the Buddy vocals.

elconguero 07-24-2021 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17992995)

Thanks for clarifying. I would go as far to say that most people didn't know entirely what DDTW was about the first few listens. Come Tomorrow smacks you in the face with its message.

Come out, come out, no use in hiding
Come now, come now, can you not see?
There's no place here, what were you expecting?
No room for both, just room for me
So you will lay your arms down
Yes, I will call this home

-and then you have-

Old man spat and cursed as he spoke
"It's all going to hell and the whole world is broken"
The little kid is busy making plans
Save the whole world along with that old man

So as far as I can see
A better way for you and me
Is to let the children run the show
Not too long and we'll be good to go

you're telling me you see no difference?

elconguero 07-24-2021 02:03 AM

Thinking more about it it could also be the delivery and music. All of these newer political songs are bland and you have no choice but to listen to the message front and center. DDTW or say Last Stop are just badass songs that have a political message weaved into them but more poetically and much more passionate delivery.

Just my observations.

elconguero 07-24-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

on the nose
phrase of nose

to a person's sense of smell.
"the wine is pungently smoky and peppery on the nose"
informal•North American
precisely.
"at ten on the nose the van pulled up"

I would say I was using the second definition. Precise.

You think DDTW is more precise than Mercy? You knew first listen when you heard that beast of a song called DDTW on the radio in 1998 what dave was talking about, the plight of the native americans thrown off their land. well then you sir, are quick. Took me a quite a few listens to digest it all.

theflower 07-24-2021 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17993112)
Thanks for clarifying. I would go as far to say that most people didn't know entirely what DDTW was about the first few listens. Come Tomorrow smacks you in the face with its message.

Come out, come out, no use in hiding
Come now, come now, can you not see?
There's no place here, what were you expecting?
No room for both, just room for me
So you will lay your arms down
Yes, I will call this home

-and then you have-

Old man spat and cursed as he spoke
"It's all going to hell and the whole world is broken"
The little kid is busy making plans
Save the whole world along with that old man

So as far as I can see
A better way for you and me
Is to let the children run the show
Not too long and we'll be good to go

you're telling me you see no difference?

no. i'm saying SFTWs, Mercy and WATM are not "on the nose" which is what you said. And i stick by my point. Read in total, DDTW is far more literal than CT, or SFTWs or Mercy. You're conflating the concept of literalness with dave's approach lyric-writing. Fair minded people can't really disagree with what DDTW is about. Its about misappropriating the land and homes of native american people. If it's not about that, what is it about? There isn't a different way of looking at it. interpretation is not in the eye of the listener.
On the other hand, if you subtract dave from the art and simply present the song CT or SFTWs or Mercy to one person on left and one person on the right, valid arguments can stem from both that the song supports their perspective, which is my whole point. those songs are the opposite of "on the nose". rather, the problem is that dave used to write effectively and meaningfully about real things and more recently he's sung about platitudes that no one can really disagree with but no one really cares to get behind. "mercy what will be come of us... one by one can we turn it around." Well what the fuck does that mean? Dave's a liberal dude and that was written in the age of Obama. So the despair he is singing from could be interpreted by someone on the opposite side of his political perspective as an anthem for their cause, which is my whole point. That same thing is not true about DDTW.

theflower 07-24-2021 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elconguero (Post 17993120)
on the nose
phrase of nose

to a person's sense of smell.
"the wine is pungently smoky and peppery on the nose"
informal•North American
precisely.
"at ten on the nose the van pulled up"

I would say I was using the second definition. Precise.

You think DDTW is more precise than Mercy? You knew first listen when you heard that beast of a song called DDTW on the radio in 1998 what dave was talking about, the plight of the native americans thrown off their land. well then you sir, are quick. Took me a quite a few listens to digest it all.

now we're just having a discussion which i appreciate. the answer to your question is, yes. In 1998 as i shipped off to collecge, there was no question but that DDTW was about the plight you reference above. now, you tell me what mercy is about? no one knows. It's about everything. and nothing. all at once.

dmbdreamingtree 07-24-2021 02:12 AM

WATM is Dave’s best song in years.

This is coming from a frequent critic. The song is so good.

theflower 07-24-2021 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 17993124)

i'm not there but i love the positivity! i hope to join you. need to listen more.

smb41 07-24-2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993123)
now we're just having a discussion which i appreciate. the answer to your question is, yes. In 1998 as i shipped off to collecge, there was no question but that DDTW was about the plight you reference above. now, you tell me what mercy is about? no one knows. It's about everything. and nothing. all at once.

I think an argument could be made that, at least to a first-time listener, DDTW is about exclusion, hatred, and thirst for power. Absent Dave's direct comments about the meaning of the song, most of us wouldn't be able to deduce its precise meaning either.

elconguero 07-24-2021 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993015)

sorry back reading. I think we are talking about two different things. I think your saying more what a person may read into a songs lyrics or be inspired by from by the words and DDTW yes is about one subject. Or maybe it's just a nice reminder of our history. Mercy is more philosophical/inspiring. Also, it seems to be a very important song to you and yours so sorry to offend.

I just think the lyrics are more in the trite/cliche range. Like they were overcooked. I do enjoy the outro very much though.

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree (Post 17993124)

It’s really good. That chorus is super catchy and I love what Stefan does during it.

elconguero 07-24-2021 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 17993123)

Maybe you, but I just don't think most reached that upon first listen. Boyds long violin pulls, Stefans cool bass, Dave screaming, Alanis screaming, a sound they never created before.

You really think most people heard that for the first time and said, "cool song about the native americans."

elconguero 07-24-2021 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 17993136)
“your land is gone and given to me”

“yes i will call this home”

“what’s this you say? your father’s spirit still lives in this place? well I will bury you”

I think it can definitely be deduced that this is a song about colonists taking over native land.

your all acting like we had a lyric sheet with us when we first heard DDTW. Yeah after multiple listens and reading the words you know what its about. I'm saying upon first listen. So much is going on that song takes multiple listens to take in. Mercy with a single repeated note not so much.

That's all I was trying to get at.

Yeah, Norwegian Wood is about the narrator burning down a girls residence that wouldn't sleep with him. Got that on first listen!

But moving on it sounds like WATM does have more what I enjoy so I can't wait to hear it all fleshed out in the studio.

jaymas9 07-24-2021 08:30 AM

Okay, I definitely like Walk Around the Moon. Chorus is strong and I'm cool with background vocals.

jhinds76 07-24-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller9 (Post 17992885)
Everyday literally sounds like a Gospel hymn now. Buddy is so extra and over the top. Outro especially he is overpowering Dave. Just not a fan of what they’ve done with making the organ more prominent than the saxophone. Which correct me if I’m wrong use to be a staple to the DMB sound? 😑

You are not wrong.

Dankguitar 07-24-2021 08:44 AM

I will admit I was pretty sour on Walk Around the Moon last night. Dave’s vocal is just so bad on the first verse I can barely tell what the melody is supposed to be. But the more I listen the more I am enjoying the rest of the song. The chorus is definitely great and the bridge that gets repeated is super cool

DMBFan4Life5 07-24-2021 08:45 AM

Has anyone found a rip of the audio from last night yet? I don't have SXM, and was interested in hearing the show from last night. I know its a bit soon, but, I'm impatient. Haha.

Thanks!

jhinds76 07-24-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

I would say “up the nose” would be more appropriate to describe Dave’s political songs. Dave does like to shove his political tunnel vision takes up his audiences nose. Whether agree or disagree with those takes to me they are a turn off either way. Easy solution is to skip those songs when you control the playlist. Live that isn’t possible so I think that frustrates some folks. While political songs do not turn me on, at the end of the day if I go to a show I am paying to see what whichever artist wants to play and am taking a wager with guaranteed odds that some of these tunes are getting played.

desertdogesq 07-24-2021 08:54 AM

Call me the contrarian, but I like Windows quite a bit. I think Walk Around the Moon has potential. And I also enjoy seeing the current version of Everyday live, more so with Buddy then earlier versions. I think some of the complaining about this concert was as much attributable to a poor audio mix as anything: Dave and Buddy’s feed were too strong all night, Carter, Tim, and Stefan’s feed were too weak, and the horns were too weak until Branford Marsalis came out, and which point they cranked the horns feed almost too much. In that sense, I can understand some of the complaints. But there are also some people that will never be satisfied with anything other than being critical. As I said last night almost immediately after the show, it was a good show for an opener. Lots of new material, an awesome guest, and lots of good classic jams with fresh takes. I swear some of you would win the powerball and piss and moan about the tax consequences associated rather than celebrating $200-million. Lots of potential with the new work. And it met the moment we are all living in: fresh steps backs towards old familiarity, with some fits of uncertainty and relearning old tasks we long took for granted.

jwrice5 07-24-2021 08:54 AM

WATM: I dig the groove, and the last 2 minutes were by far the best part of the song. I think this has a ton of studio potential. Live, it has potential, too, but Dave needs to figure out how he is going to sing it… the first verse sounded like he was trying to figure out the right key… which made it sound like TGIY, but it definitely got better as the song went on.

In general I’m really excited I hear this in studio and I think this can turn into a really cool live song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthonysoscia 07-24-2021 09:55 AM

WATM was pretty great. The background vocals were not as piercing live, and overall mix throughout the show live was somewhat different at times vs the stream.

The chorus of WATM is kinda trippy, and the screen had some trippy images with mushrooms and plants and such. Beautiful work by Jeff too. I think it has the potential to be a great song of this era, and an amazing studio track

bibby1044 07-24-2021 10:23 AM

Problem is they probably already have the final version of WATM unless they add some jams and touches to it as it evolves this summer but they probably jus played the album version which is fine but don’t expect it to be much different

jbrown211 07-24-2021 10:23 AM

From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there?

I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.

jwrice5 07-24-2021 10:24 AM

The more I listen to WATM the more I like it… the groove is fucking great and the layers feel/sound more like the classic DMB I fell in love with (compared to the “standard rock” sound that the last few albums have had).

I’m genuinely hyped for the album after this song. Now I need to listen to OATB full band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown211 (Post 17993255)
From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there?

I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.

Yes, Jeff's involvement in both songs was very promising. He was mostly absent on CT.

I think WATM will be a great studio cut. Dave struggled vocally at the beginning, but I'm sure the studio cut will be solid.

Dankguitar 07-24-2021 10:30 AM

It doesn’t help that this WATM is one of Dave’s pitchiest vocals he’s maybe ever performed. Legitimately struggling to understand what the melody on the verses is supposed to be

bibby1044 07-24-2021 10:35 AM

Yeah he’ll clean up the verses but he’s definitely trying to make the song frantic which I think works given the subject and the chorus ties perfectly into that theme and the chorus both of them flow. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but this song feels different than the types of songs we’ve gotten over the past few years. I think it’s going to end up being a real popular song for them. The crossed into a dream since I part with background vocals coming in and out is going to sound really really good in the studio.

I wanna say this is what I wanna see from the band now. Use your current form to make music. This song to me feels like Dave making different music for them but only for them not to sound like what anyone else is currently doing or what they’ve already done. Use Tim effectively most importantly use Jeff and rashawn effectively then use the background singers of rashawn Carter and now Buddy and it will hopefully lead to a different sound that is new and brings life to their new music. This feels like a step towards that.

jbrown211 07-24-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

<div class="pre-quote">
Quote de <strong>jbrown211</strong>
</div>

<div class="post-quote">
<div style="font-style:italic">From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there? <br>
<br>
I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.</div>
</div>Yes, Jeff's involvement in both songs was very promising. He was mostly absent on CT.<br>
<br>
I think WATM will be a great studio cut. Dave struggled vocally at the beginning, but I'm sure the studio cut will be solid.
I agree 100%. I am very excited for the album because I like all the new songs we’ve heard. I also think that Bismarck’s sound fits in well with OATB and WATM so I’m hoping they go with it. Good cuts of those three in the studio would be enough for me.

Also just realized You can listen to the concert on Sirius again on demand and skip around for anyone that didn’t know that!

madhatter 07-24-2021 10:36 AM

The both the mix/stream and Dave's voice were not the best last night, although I think everything improved at the show went on. I'm curious to hear what the tapers recorded as well as what the future performances of sound like once they get in their groove. And I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the studio cuts once they're available. I think WATM has lots of potential.

madhatter 07-24-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown211 (Post 17993268)
Also just realized You can listen to the concert on Sirius again on demand and skip around for anyone that didn’t know that!

Ha...I just opened up the app, and they're specifically playing WATM from last night. :)

madhatter 07-24-2021 10:48 AM

Here's someone's video of WATM. (Not mine)

https://youtu.be/n565mPuFEaY

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Copperpot video.

dontdrink36 07-24-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 17993269)
The both the mix/stream and Dave's voice were not the best last night, although I think everything improved at the show went on. I'm curious to hear what the tapers recorded as well as what the future performances of sound like once they get in their groove. And I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the studio cuts once they're available. I think WATM has lots of potential.

Dave's voice was great in person.

Royal123 07-24-2021 11:08 AM

Everyone complains no matter what. I’m just pumped to see them in my backyard in Holmdel soon. My wife gave her blessings and has the kids home, and I have a show night out with some friends. After over a year, can’t wait for it. I do agree that the feed from last night was not ideal at all. Cheers to the start of tour season, my friends!

madhatter 07-24-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17993294)
Dave's voice was great in person.

Glad to hear that. And listening to WATM again this morning, it definitely sounded better than what I recalled from last night.

bibby1044 07-24-2021 11:34 AM

Nobody took a stab at the lyrics yet?

dontdrink36 07-24-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 17993325)
Nobody took a stab at the lyrics yet?

There is a thread called WATM lyrics

dontdrink36 07-24-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 17993298)
Glad to hear that. And listening to WATM again this morning, it definitely sounded better than what I recalled from last night.

:thumbsup

The band was great last night. Dave flubbed lyrics on 41 and Bayou. Branford missed his queue on WWYS other than that the sound and playing was spot on. If you (royal) didnt like the set that's different but they sound as good as ever for 4.0

Royal123 07-24-2021 11:43 AM

Set was fine, I was commenting on the quality of Sirius’ feed just as others here mentioned. Some of the band members sound wasn’t coming through like Dave and Buddy.

resumesomething 07-24-2021 11:44 AM

Well, Paddy Casey has a double album coming out next month.