Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 11:19 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17888952)
Ugh, no one is proposing to bring back Boyd while heís dealing with his issues. I thought it was implied that we would want him back healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still nope. If they bring back the violin they should get someone far more talented, versatile, and dedicated to the craft.

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheLaneFan (Post 17889255)
He’s fucking GONE bro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889274)
Still nope. If they bring back the violin they should get someone far more talented, versatile, and dedicated to the craft.

No shit he's gone. He's not coming back. I'm well aware. But that doesn't change the fact that I prefer the band's sound with a shitty ass Boyd than with no violin at all. The band sounds terrible right now. Songs are missing the sound of the violin desperately. They've gotten better; no doubt - but the violin is key to this band's sound and until they have one again (almost certainly not happening), I take the position that the band's sound is worse now than with Boyd. Of course I would prefer a more talented violin than Boyd, but if I had to choose no violin or Boyd, I'd choose Boyd. Why is that so difficult to understand?

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889280)
No shit he's gone. He's not coming back. I'm well aware. But that doesn't change the fact that I prefer the band's sound with a shitty ass Boyd than with no violin at all. The band sounds terrible right now. Songs are missing the sound of the violin desperately. They've gotten better; no doubt - but the violin is key to this band's sound and until they have one again (almost certainly not happening), I take the position that the band's sound is worse now than with Boyd. Of course I would prefer a more talented violin than Boyd, but if I had to choose no violin or Boyd, I'd choose Boyd. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I understand your POV, I just don't share it. I do not want Boyd back under any circumstance. The band sounds better now, imo, than they have since 2012ish certainly since 2016.

I'd be ecstatic to have another violinist join at some point as DMB in general is better with it than without. But to pretend like they are better with current Boyd is silly.

ToySoldier#34 02-05-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889289)
I understand your POV, I just don't share it. I do not want Boyd back under any circumstance. The band sounds better now, imo, than they have since 2012ish certainly since 2016.

I'd be ecstatic to have another violinist join at some point as DMB in general is better with it than without. But to pretend like they are better with current Boyd is silly.

:thumbsup

Love the current band with a few exceptions which are mostly Buddy related, didn't like their sound towards the end of BT's time, if they were to add a violin that'd be cool but I'm perfectly happy without one

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889289)

No one is saying that.

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889280)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889294)
[/B]

No one is saying that.

You just did in the above post

Whiteyxc514 02-05-2021 11:52 AM

Just think about how pumped everyone was when I'm With Her guested on The Maker and Ants during the D&T run. It would be really fun to hear what the full band would sound like today with an excellent violinist.

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889297)
You just did in the above post

I did not say I was referring to present Boyd - like others have said, he can't even stand in the videos we've seen. Do you actually think anyone in their right mind would think a guy who could barely stand would make the band sound better? I was referring to when Boyd was in the band and healthy.

The band's sound now is worse than it was when Boyd was healthy and in the band. There.

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889300)
I did not say I was referring to present Boyd - like others have said, he can't even stand in the videos we've seen. Do you actually think anyone in their right mind would think a guy who could barely stand would make the band sound better? I was referring to when Boyd was in the band and healthy.

The band's sound now is worse than it was when Boyd was healthy and in the band. There.

No one disagrees with you. We are nearly a decade maybe more since that has been the case. DMB is better as currently constructed than they have been in a long time. Of course we all would like 98-04 DMB sound and lineup. That will never happen again. Its less likely to happen with Boyd returning as he just can't do it anymore.

Also you said they are better with shitty ass Boyd. You actually said that but now say you didn't.

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889301)
No one disagrees with you. We are nearly a decade maybe more since that has been the case. DMB is better as currently constructed than they have been in a long time. Of course we all would like 98-04 DMB sound and lineup. That will never happen again. Its less likely to happen with Boyd returning as he just can't do it anymore.

Also you said they are better with shitty ass Boyd. You actually said that but now say you didn't.

Because Boyd has always been shitty and I'd rather a shitty violinist than no violinist at all. You are twisting my words to fit your narrative.

ToySoldier#34 02-05-2021 12:01 PM

It's just nice to have everyone on stage be at a professional level with commitment to the band

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889304)
Because Boyd has always been shitty.

Hes always been the weakest link but hasn't been shitty. What he brought to the band worked from 91-09ish. It didn't work much after that and got progressively worse till he was dismissed.

You also have a weird way of describing boyds ability relative to time which cause a lot of confusion with your sentiment. What year/era of Boyd would you want him to be capable of before returning?

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889305)
It's just nice to have everyone on stage be at a professional level with commitment to the band

Yeah, this. Towards the end I think my crippled ass could've made similar noise of the violin

theflower 02-05-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889305)

for sure. not my preferred line up but i appreciate that they all seem to be tuned in and perhaps even more inspired than they have been in recent years? i'm excited to hear what they came up with in the studio.

Dodo36 02-05-2021 12:07 PM

DMB with a violinist is Boyd. Anyone else is going to have to fill those socks and deal with the comparison to Boyd in his prime, not of the last decade. No one is asking for Boyd now, they want mountain boy from the 90's and early 2000s. We all know that's not going to happen realistically. And I don't think there'd be headlines if Boyd came back, let's not get ahead of ourselves on that.

Something needs to fill the violin void. I love DMB with keys, but it doesn't replace the saw. Banjo wouldn't do it. Mandolin could, get Tim to pull out the dobro, find a pedal steel player, something. The 'sliding note' sound is missing from the band dynamic. To where they are just a rock combo backed by a horn section and a featured keyboardist.

I'd love to see them do a full tour with String Cheese Incident and have Michael Kang guest on the songs that NEED a fiddle during the main set, perhaps.

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889306)
Hes always been the weakest link but hasn't been shitty. What he brought to the band worked from 91-09ish. It didn't work much after that and got progressively worse till he was dismissed.

You also have a weird way of describing boyds ability relative to time which cause a lot of confusion with your sentiment. What year/era of Boyd would you want him to be capable of before returning?

I think this band's sound is better with Boyd, even post-2009. I would take him back probably up until 2016. You disagree. I would take Boyd back (with the caveat of him being healthy enough to not fall off the stage), you wouldn't. He is not coming back so that point is moot. I've been extremely vocal here about how crappy I think Boyd is as a violinist, but I still would take him back, in pretty much any form; provided he is healthy enough to function. But my point is simply that I think having a crappy violin in the band, makes the band sound better than they do now. Of course, I would prefer a great or even average violin player over Boyd.

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889312)
I think this band's sound is better with Boyd, even post-2009. I would take him back probably up until 2016. You disagree. I would take Boyd back (with the caveat of him being healthy enough to not fall off the stage), you wouldn't. He is not coming back so that point is moot. I've been extremely vocal here about how crappy I think Boyd is as a violinist, but I still would take him back, in pretty much any form; provided he is healthy to function. But my point is simply that I think having a crappy violin in the band, makes the band sound better than they do now. Of course, I would prefer a great or even average violin player over Boyd.

Yeah we definitely disagree about Boyd, how good the band sounded and when the issue started. So you would seriously take 2016 Boyd over the current sound? That is quite a take especially since you still actively follow the band and travel to see them.

Cscottrun 02-05-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889318)
Yeah we definitely disagree about Boyd, how good the band sounded and when the issue started. So you would seriously take 2016 Boyd over the current sound? That is quite a take especially since you still actively follow the band and travel to see them.

Yes, without a doubt. I don't care about his solos - skree away. Perhaps maybe that's where we disagree. What I care about is how the songs sound extremely hollow to me without the violin playing its parts in the background. They've tried to fill the holes and it just doesn't work well for me in most cases.

Not that one has to do with the other necessarily, but I do like Buddy, but I don't love the majority of what he does. Enough with the organ already. LITHOG sounds amazing though. I also don't forget that he has taken a solo role in many songs that didn't have a keys solo, and in doing so has replaced other member's solos (I'm looking at your Break Free outro).

All that being said, the best I've heard the band sound post-Boyd was in Vegas, and I've been vocal about it, so it would be unfair for me to pretend like they are not improving.

maythekarma1 02-05-2021 12:15 PM

I think Boyd's ability is vastly overstated. Just listen to anything from the prime years on Ants Marching and compare it to I'm With Her with Dave and Tim in Mexico. That is what proper fiddle playing should sound like.

Any half decent fiddler will be an improvement on Boyd.

ToySoldier#34 02-05-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889307)
Yeah, this. Towards the end I think my crippled ass could've made similar noise of the violin

Roughly 0/8 on taking queues to start a solo at 1:51:50, a pro's pro, and this was in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0xlZuoy-Q&t=6717s

JZ4140 02-05-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889328)
Roughly 0/8 on taking queues to start a solo at 1:51:50, a pro's pro, and this was in 2012

Oh my god, that video is hilarious. Tim's laughter! 😂

dontdrink36 02-05-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17889324)
Yes, without a doubt. I don't care about his solos - skree away. Perhaps maybe that's where we disagree. What I care about is how the songs sound extremely hollow to me without the violin playing its parts in the background. They've tried to fill the holes and it just doesn't work well for me in most cases.

Not that one has to do with the other necessarily, but I do like Buddy, but I don't love the majority of what he does. Enough with the organ already. LITHOG sounds amazing though. I also don't forget that he has taken a solo role in many songs that didn't have a keys solo, and in doing so has replaced other member's solos (I'm looking at your Break Free outro).

All that being said, the best I've heard the band sound post-Boyd was in Vegas, and I've been vocal about it, so it would be unfair for me to pretend like they are not improving.

Buddy could be used better in spots but it has greatly improved. I disagree that the songs sound hollow. They are different but still sound really good to me for the most part. There are a few songs that don't sound quite right yet but most sound great.

Quote:

I've seen that before. Thats just sad and it sounded pretty hollow with Boyd in that instance.

SoRight2step 02-05-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

One of the funniest things ive seen

BTBaboon 02-05-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

All I got from this was how awesome Jeff is and how he needs to be unleashed again. More sax, please.

ElijahSoRight72 02-05-2021 01:13 PM

I mean I’d rather no violin at all than a toxic person playing it.

But I think everyone who has ever been a fan of DMB will agree that a violin belongs in the band. Can you imagine just how good it could be with someone who is actually proficient?

Anyway we need album news. Every time I get a Warehouse email and it’s “a special discount just for you,” I lose another year of my life.

SoRight2step 02-05-2021 01:47 PM

There were rumors about getting the violin gal from the dixie chicks ... or i guess just "the chicks" now a few years ago right after boyd was gone. But nothing came of it. I think we might see a guest here and there in random occurrences - not like for a tour. They dont want to draw any more attention to boyd or what all went down. Cause every avg/ causal fan will be like "oh a new string person tonight.. what happened again to the other guy?" and then looks into it. Not to get totally off topic on this thread but dave and he crew had to know boyd was doing weird stuff and im sure they dont wanna get called out for letting it happen under their watch. So the chance of a permanent member post buddy joining is probably never going to happen. I think they will stop touring/ play very few shows and the big alpines, creeks, spacs, gorge etc only as they get older which is around the corner so I doubt they are going to change their lineup up or try to introduce more factors.

HonestDenver1 02-05-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoRight2step (Post 17889416)
There were rumors about getting the violin gal from the dixie chicks ... or i guess just "the chicks" now a few years ago right after boyd was gone. But nothing came of it. I think we might see a guest here and there in random occurrences - not like for a tour. They dont want to draw any more attention to boyd or what all went down. Cause every avg/ causal fan will be like "oh a new string person tonight.. what happened again to the other guy?" and then looks into it. Not to get totally off topic on this thread but dave and he crew had to know boyd was doing weird stuff and im sure they dont wanna get called out for letting it happen under their watch. So the chance of a permanent member post buddy joining is probably never going to happen. I think they will stop touring/ play very few shows and the big alpines, creeks, spacs, gorge etc only as they get older which is around the corner so I doubt they are going to change their lineup up or try to introduce more factors.

Yes. Rumors on these boards regarding something of that nature are usually just that... I could say I heard the guy from Zac Brown Band is going to join them this summer... I heard it from someone I know and it's top secret.

HonestDenver1 02-05-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17889376)
I mean Iíd rather no violin at all than a toxic person playing it.

But I think everyone who has ever been a fan of DMB will agree that a violin belongs in the band. Can you imagine just how good it could be with someone who is actually proficient?

Anyway we need album news. Every time I get a Warehouse email and itís ďa special discount just for you,Ē I lose another year of my life.

I know it's been beat to death, but I honestly can enjoy the new sound. There are a few songs that I would absolutely love a violin back on, Ants, Billies, The Stone etc... But I don't miss it when I'm listening in the moment. Especially live. I forget Boyd was ever though. The sound is not missing anything. I usually just miss it when I listen to classic DMB, like OH YEAH, that was incredible.

I am just happy we get a version of this band that is still playing and making good music. I have Boyd DMB for 28 years and now post Boyd... It's different but still good.

jaymas9 02-05-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17889375)
All I got from this was how awesome Jeff is and how he needs to be unleashed again. More sax, please.

This right here.

kmb40oz 02-05-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoRight2step (Post 17889350)
One of the funniest things ive seen

Boyd fucked up. He needs to show up and play but I wonder if anyone in the band actually talked to him after this show about it. This was 2012 and he certainly had issues afterward. It's on Boyd to get better but if you're in a band, a "family" on the road perhaps, maybe pull him aside and offer him help.

Maybe they did. I'm not privy to that info but for it to keep happening is disturbing.

RSSR 02-05-2021 11:27 PM

Carter is Carter. Stefan continuously practices even if the band isn’t touring, he claims he even practices things on bass he would never play within DMB via DMB Radio. Dave hired a full time singing coach, Jeff and Rashawn are world class and probably practices all the time too. Tim is Tim. It blows my mind Boyd never really practiced. His practice was probably only on stage with the band. Makes you shake your head what Boyd had and watch him fuck it up. I do imagine Dave and other band members approached him about his problems.

tyler3440 02-05-2021 11:48 PM

I read somewhere Jeff and Rashawn have arrangements on this album AKA horns in a can. That doesn’t sound good at all. I can’t tell you how much I hate canned horns. It sounds like a rock band thinking too much, and adding to many layers of music. Instead of canned horns Just let Jeff add some layovers and solos. When I’m mean layovers, I mean like Jeff’s work on Raven from SPAC 2018, and the penny whistle on Say Goodbye 2018+. That’s what I want to hear. Oh well, it’s always canned horns because Rashawn is running the show.

ElijahSoRight72 02-06-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17889816)
I read somewhere Jeff and Rashawn have arrangements on this album AKA horns in a can. That doesnít sound good at all. I canít tell you how much I hate canned horns. It sounds like a rock band thinking too much, and adding to many layers of music. Instead of canned horns Just let Jeff add some layovers and solos. When Iím mean layovers, I mean like Jeffís work on Raven from SPAC 2018, and the penny whistle on Say Goodbye 2018+. Thatís what I want to hear. Oh well, itís always canned horns because Rashawn is running the show.

Where did you read this?

tyler3440 02-06-2021 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17889834)
Where did you read this?

I believe it was a post somewhere about a zoom call with Jeff.

tyler3440 02-06-2021 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17887604)
Guy on DMB Family who won the M&G with Jeff on Zoom:

"So my virtual meet with Jeff was awesome. I only grabbed two screen captures and this one doesnít do justice to how friendly and outgoing he was. He did confirm that they have been recording, he and Rashawn together coming up with parts and that some of the arrangements Rashawn came up with were difficult but amazing. He said he did not know the names of any of the tracks. I asked him which DMB song means the most and he said #41 due to his time with the Flecktones and memories of Roi and confirmed that Roi wasnít a big fan of #41. He said without a doubt Last Stop was hardest for him to learn and mentioned that when he was with the Flecktones they were all puzzled by the time signature of Rapunzel the first time they heard it. He also mentioned that Dave being from South Africa there is often this African rhythm at the heart of many of the songs and that it all keys off of Carter and Dave at the core of many songs. I told him the last time I saw them I was in Dallas on the rail when they switched into JTR when it poured rain and he remembered it laughing. All in all an amazing experience, thanks to the Warehouse (Red Light Management)!"

This is the reference I was talking about.

dontdrink36 02-06-2021 11:05 AM

I dont see how that confirms canned horns. I do think its likely as they have been going more and more in that direction the past 15 years.

Fun Fact: RR has now been with the band for half of their career. Jeff is getting close to that number as well.

ToySoldier#34 02-06-2021 11:13 AM

Canned horns would be more horns than CT

ElijahSoRight72 02-06-2021 12:27 PM

It’s not Rashawn’s fault for the direction the horns have gone. Dave talked about how Roi always wanted a “horn section,” which was why Rashawn was asked to tour with them at all. This is definitely a whole band decision, including Roi. B&BB has horn arrangements and they are my favorite utilization of the horns in recent years- so I’m excited to hear the arrangements on the new album.

Vorony 02-06-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889873)
I dont see how that confirms canned horns. I do think its likely as they have been going more and more in that direction the past 15 years.

Fun Fact: RR has now been with the band for half of their career. Jeff is getting close to that number as well.

Horn arrangements = canned horns. Itís not improv or soloing like in the early days.

ToySoldier#34 02-06-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17889900)
Itís not Rashawnís fault for the direction the horns have gone. Dave talked about how Roi always wanted a ďhorn section,Ē which was why Rashawn was asked to tour with them at all. This is definitely a whole band decision, including Roi. B&BB has horn arrangements and they are my favorite utilization of the horns in recent years- so Iím excited to hear the arrangements on the new album.

I don't mind canned horns at all, at least not like others do, the end part of Ants for example

alec 02-06-2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889922)
I don't mind canned horns at all, at least not like others do, the end part of Ants for example

Virginia In The Rain would be another good example of canned horns. Those lines in the second verse are very good. Also the lines in A Dream So Real 2008 version.

dontdrink36 02-06-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorony (Post 17889904)
Horn arrangements = canned horns. Itís not improv or soloing like in the early days.

RR has been around for 15 years. Thats why I said trending that way for that long.

Cryfreedom09 02-06-2021 03:49 PM

I’m fine with horn arrangements as long as the sound like Beach Ball.

YankeesDMB41 02-06-2021 04:07 PM

Just make a good cohesive album from front to back. I don't care what instruments are on it.

jaymas9 02-06-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17889922)

Yeah if we're counting the many amazing, structured sax parts Roi wrote that are part of DMB songs...sign me up for canned horns.

Is there less sac improv now, absolutely. Is it probably because of how insignificant Jeff's role in the band seems to be (guy calls Dave his boss)... probably. Do I hate that, I do.

But, structured doesn't automatically equal bad. More improv, and more fills from the sax along with awesome hope arrangements would be my dream.

Also, I get Rashwan is good at arrangements, but can we get Jeff in on that process please. Hate the idea of him just playing things he's told to. Guy is world class.

tyler3440 02-06-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17889873)

I meant to say I heard speculation.

NewAgedNerd 02-06-2021 07:40 PM

Canned horns is perhaps my least favorite buzz-word that gets thrown around on these fair boards.

NewAgedNerd 02-06-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17889816)
I read somewhere Jeff and Rashawn have arrangements on this album AKA horns in a can. That doesnít sound good at all. I canít tell you how much I hate canned horns. It sounds like a rock band thinking too much, and adding to many layers of music. Instead of canned horns Just let Jeff add some layovers and solos. When Iím mean layovers, I mean like Jeffís work on Raven from SPAC 2018, and the penny whistle on Say Goodbye 2018+. Thatís what I want to hear. Oh well, itís always canned horns because Rashawn is running the show.

When I read shit like this my head starts to cave in.

tyler3440 02-06-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 17890033)
When I read shit like this my head starts to cave in.

Just not a fan of arrangements. Would rather Jeff shred all over a song instead. As far as your head caving in, well I can’t help you with that. May want to go see a doctor about that.

ToySoldier#34 02-06-2021 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17890035)
Just not a fan of arrangements

Thoughts on the arrangements that are present in nearly all of their best songs?

tyler3440 02-06-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17890042)
Thoughts on the arrangements that are present in nearly all of their best songs?

I mean Rashawns canned horn arrangements. Should have made “arrangements “ more clear. You know like the shit that’s on the Rhyme and Reason jam for example. It’s so unnecessary.

tyler3440 02-06-2021 08:17 PM

I would prefer if Jeff was playing loosely, and not getting tied down by Rashawn all the damn time. Same thing applies to the live show.

jaymas9 02-06-2021 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17890042)

Exactly.

NewAgedNerd 02-07-2021 10:53 AM

My favorite theme of DMB boards is people wanting the band to stop doing something they were always doing and go back to something they were never doing.

NewAgedNerd 02-07-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17890053)
I would prefer if Jeff was playing loosely, and not getting tied down by Rashawn all the damn time. Same thing applies to the live show.

This type of thinking relies on a lot of things being true that are unknowable.

YankeesDMB41 02-07-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 17890326)
My favorite theme of DMB boards is people wanting the band to stop doing something they were always doing and go back to something they were never doing.

"Dave needs to be more creative with setlists, like he was in 1996!!"

tyler3440 02-07-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 17890326)

Never doing? What are you talking about? You ever listened to the studio cut of DT, PM, or Rapunzel? Roi rips all over that. Is it that hard to understand that Jeff could do the same instead of having these “arrangements” with Rashawn? People don’t like the way they have been playing the exact same lines over and over again in a song. You seriously can’t tell the difference between how much looser the music sounded when Roi was in the band? Or even in early in 3.0. when Jeff was in the band and he was allowed to solo. You want to argue that their music is all “arrangements” but you know damn well what I’m talking about when I say “canned horns.” It wasn’t in the music prior to 2006. It’s only gotten way worse over the years. That’s why you have canned horns in #41 instead of a improvised sax solo.

tyler3440 02-07-2021 01:38 PM

This is exactly why OSW suffers a lot these days. Those lines that Roi created sound fine the way he played them. Having both Jeff and Rashawn play those exact notes at the same time makes it sound way too in your face.

Sniper15 02-07-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorony (Post 17889904)

Do you consider the scripted horn lines on Rapunzel, Ants Marching, Don't Drink the Water, The Last Stop, Drive In, Drive Out, Too Much, Tripping Billies, So Much to Say, Stay (Wasting Time), Two Step, Grey Street, Bartender, Help Myself, One Sweet World, Lie In Our Graves, and JTR to be "canned horns?" I wish there were more sax solos and improv in their recent work too but I'm pretty sure "canned horns" has been a pretty consistent aspect of DMB music since their inception.

NewAgedNerd 02-07-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17890384)
Never doing? What are you talking about? You ever listened to the studio cut of DT, PM, or Rapunzel? Roi rips all over that. Is it that hard to understand that Jeff could do the same instead of having these ďarrangementsĒ with Rashawn? People donít like the way they have been playing the exact same lines over and over again in a song. You seriously canít tell the difference between how much looser the music sounded when Roi was in the band? Or even in early in 3.0. when Jeff was in the band and he was allowed to solo. You want to argue that their music is all ďarrangementsĒ but you know damn well what Iím talking about when I say ďcanned horns.Ē It wasnít in the music prior to 2006. Itís only gotten way worse over the years. Thatís why you have canned horns in #41 instead of a improvised sax solo.

When you listen to Rapunzel now Jeff and Rashawn still solo on it at the end. In fact jeff even blows some solo during the "i think the world of you" like Roi always did. Say what you want about Rashawn's improvisational style but to say they aren't improvising on that song is pretty much false.

I don't think anyone really denies that the band is perhaps a little less loose with their arrangements now but people act like there's no fuckin soloing in and any of these songs and I just don't get it. Sure there's maybe 5 or 6 songs that used to have roi noodling behind Dave during a verse or something where that doesn't happen anymore but most of the songs are roughly the same as they've always been, just a couple songs have guitar solos where they may have had sax solos before. Now that's another story.

I just don't really understand this canned horns complaint, I'm pretty sympathetic to the problems people have with DMB now but this one just doesn't make sense. Seems like people just looking for something to blanket complain about. I'm not sure what people think the alternative would be anyway. Have Rashawn stand there and do nothing all of the songs? I'm sure some people would like that but that's not fucking realistic

Sniper15 02-07-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 17890420)
When you listen to Rapunzel now Jeff and Rashawn still solo on it at the end. In fact jeff even blows some solo during the "i think the world of you" like Roi always did. Say what you want about Rashawn's improvisational style but to say they aren't improvising on that song is pretty much false.

I don't think anyone really denies that the band is perhaps a little less loose with their arrangements now but people act like there's no fuckin soloing in and any of these songs and I just don't get it. Sure there's maybe 5 or 6 songs that used to have roi noodling behind Dave during a verse or something where that doesn't happen anymore but most of the songs are roughly the same as they've always been, just a couple songs have guitar solos where they may have had sax solos before. Now that's another story.

I just don't really understand this canned horns complaint, I'm pretty sympathetic to the problems people have with DMB now but this one just doesn't make sense. Seems like people just looking for something to blanket complain about. I'm not sure what people think the alternative would be anyway. Have Rashawn stand there and do nothing all of the songs? I'm sure some people would like that but that's not fucking realistic

Exactly. When Boyd is hitting that e-cigarette on the side of the stage everyone says, "Look at that lazy motherfucker! He's smoking Juul instead of playing! He should be on that goddamn stage adding texture to the songs when he isn't soloing!" When Rashawn is reinvigorating some tired songs, by adding some badass horn lines underneath some solos, people are saying, "Shut the fuck up Rashawn and stand there respectfully you fat fuck! We don't want your canned horns!" You're never going to win with a lot of people

YankeesDMB41 02-07-2021 03:13 PM

Is this thread a contest to see who can say "canned horns" the most?

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-07-2021 03:32 PM

It's obvious that since Rashawn joined, the horns in the band became a horn "section". Yes this is what Roi wanted in his later days, and yes I do like it. But it's definitely there. What Tyler's talking about is the line added to the end of Tripping Billies, the line added at the end of #41, the line added into Rhyme and Reason, the way they play the riff at the start of the Last Stop jam, and a plethora of other examples.

It's just more structured with two horns compared to one. When it was just Roi, even though a lot of the lines were written, they were more like riffs. With the horn section, it becomes more of a rigid arrangement, less nuance and inflection. I obviously prefer just Roi, but I think the horn section works well with modern DMB as they've aged.

ericvol 02-07-2021 10:54 PM

So back on Scott’s post maybe we get an announcement that part of the tour has been delayed and they drop the album as a boost

tyler3440 02-08-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 17890420)

Well I never argued that Rapunzel isnít improved on live these days, or those other songs for that matter. Iím saying I would like to see more modern studio tracks like those. Makes sense? Like Jeff could have torn up B&BB, but itís cut short IMO.

tyler3440 02-08-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 17890452)
Exactly. When Boyd is hitting that e-cigarette on the side of the stage everyone says, "Look at that lazy motherfucker! He's smoking Juul instead of playing! He should be on that goddamn stage adding texture to the songs when he isn't soloing!" When Rashawn is reinvigorating some tired songs, by adding some badass horn lines underneath some solos, people are saying, "Shut the fuck up Rashawn and stand there respectfully you fat fuck! We don't want your canned horns!" You're never going to win with a lot of people

First of all itís rare anyone is this extreme.

I canít imagine a world where Boyd shouldnít have been criticized on the boards. It got so bad. They guy just wasnít engaged at all sometimes. I would venture to say even the band got tired of Boyd a long time ago, with the breaking point being early 2018. Look I wish the best for Boyd, but itís all to clear especially in hindsight, that he was likely holding the band back.

tyler3440 02-08-2021 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17890482)
It's obvious that since Rashawn joined, the horns in the band became a horn "section". Yes this is what Roi wanted in his later days, and yes I do like it. But it's definitely there. What Tyler's talking about is the line added to the end of Tripping Billies, the line added at the end of #41, the line added into Rhyme and Reason, the way they play the riff at the start of the Last Stop jam, and a plethora of other examples.

It's just more structured with two horns compared to one. When it was just Roi, even though a lot of the lines were written, they were more like riffs. With the horn section, it becomes more of a rigid arrangement, less nuance and inflection. I obviously prefer just Roi, but I think the horn section works well with modern DMB as they've aged.

And This! Itís clearly more structured type stuff. For example Roi wrote a great line in The Stone after ďI swear.Ē Itís not that type of stuff Iím talking about when I was saying ďarrangementsĒ earlier.

Dodo36 02-08-2021 12:17 PM

You all keep using the words 'arrangement' and 'canned'... and not quite accurately.

When they said their parts were 'in the can,' they just meant done. It's production slang. When things were recorded to tape, that reel was physically put 'in the can' when something had been finished. 'Canned' means pre-recorded in a stage setting. They are not prerecording themselves and then sampling it live.

If a musician is playing in a group setting, any expected part they play is part of the arrangement. If The trumpet is supposed to play a high D, the bass a low B, the sax an F#, the acoustic a Bm, and the electric a Bm9 6/4 ... that's the arrangement. When they play a solo or a fill, they step outside that arrangement to do so. The way some of you write here, it seems like you think that Roi just took the show as one big solo. He and Boyd worked out the arrangements as they went on so many of the older tunes, and where either of them could deviate without stepping on each other. If the whole band just played a D on Ants back in the day, it would've been boring AF.

When the horns became a section, they just built on what was happening before - not changed it. Granted, Boyd seemed far less interest in doing it after Roi passed, so the way it happened had to change. Coffin has a lot going on outside of DMB, and I'm sure Rashawn has more time on his hands too think about it but he isn't the only one in the driver's seat when it comes to the parts. After Roi, yes, the arrangements became too comfortable. But Roi was something special. Emoting through your instrument is a personal science that no two individuals approach the same way. That's what I loved about Jeff at first, he wasn't trying to be LeRoi. Now that he's toned it down, he's still not trying to be LeRoi but he's not being the musician that made my jaw drop in '98 either. '05 Rashawn was awesome because he wasn't in a comfortable spot yet and was still finding his space. '18 Rashawn was still good, but he didn't have the same role as 13 years prior.

The same problem people have with Rashawn is the problem they have with Tim - they just go too damn hard too damn much.

matt630 02-08-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17891268)
You all keep using the words 'arrangement' and 'canned'... and not quite accurately.

When they said their parts were 'in the can,' they just meant done. It's production slang. When things were recorded to tape, that reel was physically put 'in the can' when something had been finished. 'Canned' means pre-recorded in a stage setting. They are not prerecording themselves and then sampling it live.

If a musician is playing in a group setting, any expected part they play is part of the arrangement. If The trumpet is supposed to play a high D, the bass a low B, the sax an F#, the acoustic a Bm, and the electric a Bm9 6/4 ... that's the arrangement. When they play a solo or a fill, they step outside that arrangement to do so. The way some of you write here, it seems like you think that Roi just took the show as one big solo. He and Boyd worked out the arrangements as they went on so many of the older tunes, and where either of them could deviate without stepping on each other. If the whole band just played a D on Ants back in the day, it would've been boring AF.

When the horns became a section, they just built on what was happening before - not changed it. Granted, Boyd seemed far less interest in doing it after Roi passed, so the way it happened had to change. Coffin has a lot going on outside of DMB, and I'm sure Rashawn has more time on his hands too think about it but he isn't the only one in the driver's seat when it comes to the parts. After Roi, yes, the arrangements became too comfortable. But Roi was something special. Emoting through your instrument is a personal science that no two individuals approach the same way. That's what I loved about Jeff at first, he wasn't trying to be LeRoi. Now that he's toned it down, he's still not trying to be LeRoi but he's not being the musician that made my jaw drop in '98 either. '05 Rashawn was awesome because he wasn't in a comfortable spot yet and was still finding his space. '18 Rashawn was still good, but he didn't have the same role as 13 years prior.

The same problem people have with Rashawn is the problem they have with Tim - they just go too damn hard too damn much.

IMO

1. I hope for new album news here. Each new post gives me hope it is about album info.

2. But as long as we are talking about horns/horn "riffs" I'll call them...I think that what is somewhat frustrating for me personally is the sometimes IN YOUR FACE nature of some of the spots a riff may have just been beaten to death or replaced what would have been a spot for solo. The start of OSW is an example that just jumps to mind - the horn riff isn't new, it's just so SO loud and in your face at times. They can also become extremely repetitive - if you're going to write horn parts, switch em up every now and then...
I also to this day don't understand how #41 hasn't had a sax solo for so long, instead of a horn line/arrangement - even more so now with no violin solo also. There are just times when the current "written" horn lines can be a little overbearing to me. I know they are integral to many a song though so I can also see the point that others have made that the arranged horn lines aren't new.

3. Rashawn shines to me when he isn't trying to prove he can hit the highest dog-whistle note as loud and long as he can. Think a muted Rashawn improv to start Proudest Monkey or Seek Up, or when he comes in quietly for a Crush solo and it's like a dingy smokey jazz club - he slays those more kind of laid back solos. It's when he's gotta muscle up and hit that top note and blast away that he loses me many times.

anyhow...some unasked for thoughts

jaymas9 02-08-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper15 (Post 17890407)
Do you consider the scripted horn lines on Rapunzel, Ants Marching, Don't Drink the Water, The Last Stop, Drive In, Drive Out, Too Much, Tripping Billies, So Much to Say, Stay (Wasting Time), Two Step, Grey Street, Bartender, Help Myself, One Sweet World, Lie In Our Graves, and JTR to be "canned horns?" I wish there were more sax solos and improv in their recent work too but I'm pretty sure "canned horns" has been a pretty consistent aspect of DMB music since their inception.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup Perfectly said.

jaymas9 02-08-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17891268)

Did not know that was production slang, awesome insight.

The rest is :thumbsup:thumbsup too.

coldengrey12 02-08-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17890472)
Is this thread a contest to see who can say "canned horns" the most?

My brain:

Canned horns > Canned hams > Steamed hams

Dodo36 02-08-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt630 (Post 17891297)
IMO

3. Rashawn shines to me when he isn't trying to prove he can hit the highest dog-whistle note as loud and long as he can. Think a muted Rashawn improv to start Proudest Monkey or Seek Up, or when he comes in quietly for a Crush solo and it's like a dingy smokey jazz club - he slays those more kind of laid back solos. It's when he's gotta muscle up and hit that top note and blast away that he loses me many times.

My thoughts exactly. If he'd use his dynamics more selectively, like when he was first with the band, or pull out a Harmon or a Bubble more often it would add a lot of depth.

notorious v.i.g 02-08-2021 02:00 PM

yeh i'm sorry but I absolutely cannot stand those Rashawn high notes. The guy is talented i'm not taking anything away from him but that is the one thing I just can't stand and honestly I think it sounds horrible every time.

bmt322 02-08-2021 02:41 PM

To supplement the argument about the recent emphasis on horn arrangements...a great example is the studio cut of Virginia in the Rain. Don't get me wrong, I love the track, but it is a crime that there's no free-flowing horns outside of the repeated lines in the choruses. By "free-flowing", think of studio LITHOG as an example.

alec 02-08-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmt322 (Post 17891372)
To supplement the argument about the recent emphasis on horn arrangements...a great example is the studio cut of Virginia in the Rain. Don't get me wrong, I love the track, but it is a crime that there's no free-flowing horns outside of the repeated lines in the choruses. By "free-flowing", think of studio LITHOG as an example.

I know what you are saying, but those lines in the second verse are very cool, IMO.

grilldanmo 02-08-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt630 (Post 17891297)
1. I hope for new album news here. Each new post gives me hope it is about album info.

Yeah, every time I pop in and see this thread in bold I'm ready and hoping for actual album news...even after all these weeks of BS.

Yes, I've jumped in, but I wish this thread could just stay on track. That said, I realize that if it did, it's be pretty dead barring a couple of random posts here and there.

Mainly, I just wish they'd release some new official studio stuff...regardless of its "real" newness. So anything recording but not previously released and I'm buying it and listening to it, really hoping to like it.

ElijahSoRight72 02-08-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 17890923)
So back on Scottís post maybe we get an announcement that part of the tour has been delayed and they drop the album as a boost

This really is such a great idea. I just don't know if they'll do it. I'm pretty positive the first official word we'll get about the album will be attached to the email about tour news either way.

I'm really feeling the dry season here though. Everytime we hear about new studio work- even when it's non-scrapped sessions like BW or AFTW, there's always this period of dead time before we actually get info on it. It's very possible we don't get word of this until March or April and from this moment that feels like a lifetime away.

ericvol 02-08-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17891705)
This really is such a great idea. I just don't know if they'll do it. I'm pretty positive the first official word we'll get about the album will be attached to the email about tour news either way.

I'm really feeling the dry season here though. Everytime we hear about new studio work- even when it's non-scrapped sessions like BW or AFTW, there's always this period of dead time before we actually get info on it. It's very possible we don't get word of this until March or April and from this moment that feels like a lifetime away.

The biggest question is then when do we think weíd get some official update on the tour? I feel like mid Feb is when the tour normally gets announced so theyíd probably want to give an update soon? I could see June dates getting shifted to August as a first step?

dontdrink36 02-08-2021 11:07 PM

Too much hassle to shift dates. They will end up moving June and July to 2022. I could see the August dates happening as scheduled and then an east coast fall tour as a possibility. I do think they hold off on postponing the tour for as long as possible.

Tom Brady 02-08-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17891874)
Too much hassle to shift dates. They will end up moving June and July to 2022. I could see the August dates happening as scheduled and then an east coast fall tour as a possibility. I do think they hold off on postponing the tour for as long as possible.

If I had to guess, I would basically agree with this 100%

Tomacco 02-09-2021 12:00 AM

I see no world where the 2021 summer tour goes on in any form. Maybe a Fall tour. But probably not even that.

grilldanmo 02-09-2021 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17891895)
I see no world where the 2021 summer tour goes on in any form. Maybe a Fall tour. But probably not even that.

That's my take as well. I'd love to be wrong, but only if everyone at the venue is cleared, i.e.: vaccinated.

Given that we're not getting close to that until fall, I don't see how summer 2021 is any different than summer 2020 from a traditional live music performance perspective.

ericvol 02-09-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17891906)
That's my take as well. I'd love to be wrong, but only if everyone at the venue is cleared, i.e.: vaccinated.

Given that we're not getting close to that until fall, I don't see how summer 2021 is any different than summer 2020 from a traditional live music performance perspective.

Sporting events are happening at 25% capacity and concerts are happening with limited crowds as well.

Is it just not economically viable to do that for DMB and thatís why they wouldnít consider a reduced capacity, masked crowd option?

Whiteyxc514 02-09-2021 12:01 PM

In theory if 20,000 people can gather to safely watch football in a stadium, 20,000 people could safely go to a concert in a stadium.

I think it all depends if it can be financially and logistically viable for artists and venues, which is a question I don't know the answer to. I would have to imagine it's one option that would be considered, in addition to more drive-in shows like we saw from some artists in 2020.

We know a lot more about the virus now than we did last spring. Like sports, the music industry is gonna do everything it can to try to move forward if they deem it safe. No one is gonna wanna just take another L for the entire summer season.

OneSweetMonkey 02-09-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 (Post 17892151)
In theory if 20,000 people can gather to safely watch football in a stadium, 20,000 people could safely go to a concert in a stadium.

I think it all depends if it can be financially and logistically viable for artists and venues, which is a question I don't know the answer to. I would have to imagine it's one option that would be considered, in addition to more drive-in shows like we saw from some artists in 2020.

We know a lot more about the virus now than we did last spring. Like sports, the music industry is gonna do everything it can to try to move forward if they deem it safe. No one is gonna wanna just take another L for the entire summer season.

I saw Warren Haynes in November. He played on a farm in CT. It was basically a miniature version of a lawn at any amphitheater. No seats. There were large squares all over the lawn, called grids. You purchased one grid for 2 people. Each grid was at least 8 feet away from the next. There were probably 1,000 people (give or take) in the audience.

That was the one show I caught. Warren Haynes actually played about 6 or 7 shows there throughout the summer/fall. And there were other bands who also had shows there, like Goose and Dark Star Orchestra.

Hopefully, if nothing more, those shows will return to this farm in CT and other places across the country. It was really a great experience, considering the alternative.

Clearly DMB couldn't do this. I mean. I suppose they COULD. But would they (or other huge bands) go on a full on tour just to play half sold venues? Probably not.

Whiteyxc514 02-09-2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey (Post 17892184)
I saw Warren Haynes in November. He played on a farm in CT. It was basically a miniature version of a lawn at any amphitheater. No seats. There were large squares all over the lawn, called grids. You purchased one grid for 2 people. Each grid was at least 8 feet away from the next. There were probably 1,000 people (give or take) in the audience.

That was the one show I caught. Warren Haynes actually played about 6 or 7 shows there throughout the summer/fall. And there were other bands who also had shows there, like Goose and Dark Star Orchestra.

Hopefully, if nothing more, those shows will return to this farm in CT and other places across the country. It was really a great experience, considering the alternative.

Clearly DMB couldn't do this. I mean. I suppose they COULD. But would they (or other huge bands) go on a full on tour just to play half sold venues? Probably not.

Yeah, i think that's probably right. Maybe this will be a summer where people gravitate towards lesser-known artists because they'll be the ones who can play shows. Might be one positive of this world!

Dankguitar 02-09-2021 12:28 PM

This would probably piss off a lot of people who can’t get access yet, but I think if you’re vaccinated and can show proof via a validated universal app everyone uses we could start going back to these types of events in some capacity

mquerques92 02-09-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey (Post 17892184)

It was 500 max capacity and the town isn't letting that venue host shows anymore.

OneSweetMonkey 02-09-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17892220)
It was 500 max capacity and the town isn't letting that venue host shows anymore.

Was it 500? Seemed like more.

I heard about the town shutting it down. I guess the neighbors were mad about the traffic :rolleyes

Did you go to a show? It was really pretty cool. I'll take Warren Haynes any dam day.

mquerques92 02-09-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey (Post 17892255)
Was it 500? Seemed like more.

I heard about the town shutting it down. I guess the neighbors were mad about the traffic :rolleyes

Did you go to a show? It was really pretty cool. I'll take Warren Haynes any dam day.

I went to one of the Twiddle shows. I wanted to go for Goose, but I had been out of state and had to quarantine.

It was cool. Worth it for a show or two but it still just doesn't compare to a real show without restrictions. I imagine still about 100x better than a drive in though.

showtime15 02-09-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 17892219)
This would probably piss off a lot of people who canít get access yet, but I think if youíre vaccinated and can show proof via a validated universal app everyone uses we could start going back to these types of events in some capacity

This is valid. Also another thing that will probs piss people off but is just my opinion, I sure as hell don't want to go to a concert with a mask on. Sadly that would be the reality of any 2021 concert. Hopefully maybe by the fall or 2022

mquerques92 02-09-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showtime15 (Post 17892268)
This is valid. Also another thing that will probs piss people off but is just my opinion, I sure as hell don't want to go to a concert with a mask on. Sadly that would be the reality of any 2021 concert. Hopefully maybe by the fall or 2022

I'd rather wear a mask at a full venue than not wear one at a 50% full (or less) venue. Not sure when either will happen but thats just my opinion.

Cscottrun 02-09-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17891874)

This is not true. While I donít know which route they have decided to go (reschedule to next year or postpone some dates later into the summer), nor whether they have actually made any decisions, I can tell you that the latter was certainly under heavy consideration at one point.

OneSweetMonkey 02-09-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17892267)
I went to one of the Twiddle shows. I wanted to go for Goose, but I had been out of state and had to quarantine.

It was cool. Worth it for a show or two but it still just doesn't compare to a real show without restrictions. I imagine still about 100x better than a drive in though.

Absolutely.

Haynes was just him and the keyboard player from Gov't Mule. So it wasn't a rockin' show. Probably one of the reasons I enjoyed that environment so much.

Cheers.

groogrux27 02-09-2021 01:26 PM

oh to be cscottrun, bruce, or scottpr, just to know the things they know! :rolleyes

(the face is me wishing and thinking about what it would be like, not me being sarcastic)

Cscottrun 02-09-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 17892306)
oh to be cscottrun, bruce, or scottpr, just to know the things they know! :rolleyes

(the face is me wishing and thinking about what it would be like, not me being sarcastic)

As respects the tour, I donít know much more than I posted, unfortunately. Covid is partially to blame for my lack of information.

As respects the album, I donít know much at all. Certainly nothing to add rumor wise to this thread. I have a feeling itís coming soon though. Someone had suggested that management should simultaneously announce the postponement of the tour with the new album announcement. That makes a ton of sense to me and is a good deflection (not that they did anything wrong in the first place, but would still turn a negative into a positive). With that said, often management does the complete opposite of doing the thing that makes sense (although I think they handled the postponement of the 2020 summer tour perfectly).

Aforauer 02-09-2021 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17892317)
As respects the tour, I donít know much more than I posted, unfortunately. Covid is partially to blame for my lack of information.

As respects the album, I donít know much at all. Certainly nothing to add rumor wise to this thread. I have a feeling itís coming soon though. Someone had suggested that management should simultaneously announce the postponement of the tour with the new album announcement. That makes a ton of sense to me and is a good deflection (not that they did anything wrong in the first place, but would still turn a negative into a positive). With that said, often management does the complete opposite of doing the thing that makes sense (although I think they handled the postponement of the 2020 summer tour perfectly).

When do you think we will see an announcement regarding the status of the tour? Which would hopefully coincide with the album news

groogrux27 02-09-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17892317)

i know, i just envy your position in general haha

Cscottrun 02-09-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17892321)
When do you think we will see an announcement regarding the status of the tour? Which would hopefully coincide with the album news

I would hope early March the latest. If they do cancel or postpone, they really should give us a couple months notice this way people can timely cancel hotels, flights, etc. Well see how long they hold out for.