Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming Soon? (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Alpine416 03-03-2022 10:12 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 18146313)
Why does it have to be ďitís Dave being lazyĒ or the band ďnot caringĒ or kicking the can down the road etc?

None of this adds up. Allegedly an album is practically done and there hasn't been so much as a social media post from the band confirming the thing exists and is coming out. Something is being botched here whether it is Dave being lazy/indecisive, terrible communication and promotion, production issues, something else entirely, or a combination of these things.

If they are taking the time intentionally to "make it right" than the product better speak for itself in its quality at this point. Taking all this time for another half-baked album as a result will be a bad look.

Studio efforts have never been this bands strong point, obviously live shows and touring is their wheelhouse but lets stop making excuses for their studio botchery.

madhatter 03-03-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18146431)
Imagine being a place where you walked away from fame and fortune, but being okay with it...

Obviously he had no way of knowing of how big it would get, but Peter did seem to realize that it wasn't for him...the pros would not outweigh the cons.

Just curious, does he have song writing credits on any tunes? Did he make any money from any of the early hits?

He has writing credit in So Much To Say. Also People People, although that hasn't been played since he left.

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-03-2022 11:07 AM

Yeah pretty sure he still gets royalties for So Much to Say

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18146434)
He has writing credit in So Much To Say. Also People People, although that hasn't been played since he left.

So, he might have made a bit of money from SMTS and still receive sales/streaming royalties. That's cool.

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-03-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18146472)
So, he might have made a bit of money from SMTS and still receive sales/streaming royalties. That's cool.

Heís also made a couple of his own albums. I doubt heís rolling in dough like the DMB guys, but he seems to be happy doing what he loves and likely has made a good living doing so.

Jamima2fl 03-03-2022 11:24 AM

He owns Brazos Tacos restaurant... kind of a hot spot in C'ville. He's doing just fine.

BarkRock 03-03-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18146433)
None of this adds up. Allegedly an album is practically done and there hasn't been so much as a social media post from the band confirming the thing exists and is coming out. Something is being botched here whether it is Dave being lazy/indecisive, terrible communication and promotion, production issues, something else entirely, or a combination of these things.

If they are taking the time intentionally to "make it right" than the product better speak for itself in its quality at this point. Taking all this time for another half-baked album as a result will be a bad look.

Studio efforts have never been this bands strong point, obviously live shows and touring is their wheelhouse but lets stop making excuses for their studio botchery.

Or they are just releasing it when they think the timing is right. It isn't like they have to rush to release it so they can start writing new material. Plus they receive a lot of shit for Come Tomorrow as an album of tunes that don't go together. Maybe they just want this to be a solid album that people don't complain about. .... as much anyway.

DMB1JW 03-03-2022 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamima2fl (Post 18146484)
He owns Brazos Tacos restaurant... kind of a hot spot in C'ville. He's doing just fine.

Thanks for sharing. Been to there and to CVille...Never knew that. Just googled "Brazos Tacos" and a nice local article came up.

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

That's also cool. But I wasn't in anyway worried about him. It's more of a an interest in someone that walked away. Unlike Pete Best who was kicked out of the Beatles and then they became THE BEATLES. Peter saw that something was coming and things were changing and decided that he didn't want to go on that ride.

At the time it would've been far more reasonable to assume it was going to be building your regional presence, a few years (or less) of trying to grow to nation act (e.g.: being a featured act on H.O.R.D.E. tours), and more likely than not reverting back to being a regional band possibly releasing independent albums. Yet that was still not of interest to Peter.

The choices we make and how we live with and reflect upon them are the point of interest. Not that I wanted him to fail or be struggling in any fashion, but I wasn't particularly concerned with his life or finacials.

Foreverford05 03-03-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's a great spot

bibby1044 03-03-2022 12:04 PM

I mean I’m sure Peter had his moments of regret. But as any normal functioning person would do they move on and come to terms with it and do the best they can from that point on.

Gunz 03-03-2022 12:11 PM

Saw Butch Taylor at my local Walgreens today. He was wearing a shirt that said Peter is my hero.

monizzle145 03-03-2022 12:21 PM

I don't think the album not coming out is dave being lazy. However the longer time passes without an album I hope it only improves the project. There is a history of something taking longer but being worse than what was being recorded in older studio sessions.

My issue with come tomorrow is not that it isn't a decent 7/10 album. My issue is the fact we waited and waited between the 2015 unreleased songs to 2018 and solid music was cut for what I believe is subpart music. That has always been my complaint with DMB. When songs like Death on the High Seas and Bismark are cut and in exchange piss poor songs like the title track come tomorrow, she, and a sped up worse version of Cant Stop (compared to the older live versions) make the album is extremely frustrating.

RSSR 03-03-2022 12:34 PM

She rocks.

zrroot 03-03-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18146498)
The choices we make and how we live with and reflect upon them are the point of interest. Not that I wanted him to fail or be struggling in any fashion, but I wasn't particularly concerned with his life or finacials.

Didn't you ask this?

"Just curious, does he have song writing credits on any tunes? Did he make any money from any of the early hits?"

They just answered your question man no need to type a paragraph about how you don't care about his life.

bowa36 03-03-2022 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18146587)
She rocks.

She is absolute garbage trash. Bottom 10

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zrroot (Post 18146588)
Didn't you ask this?

"Just curious, does he have song writing credits on any tunes? Did he make any money from any of the early hits?"

They just answered your question man no need to type a paragraph about how you don't care about his life.

That was just a general question about if he had co-writes w/ the band and if he got royalties.

I was just clarifying my lack of worry. No need to for you to respond at all...oh, this is fun, we do this all day...I mean, if you want and aren't busy???

monizzle145 03-03-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18146590)
She is absolute garbage trash. Bottom 10

Agreed She sounds like a grunge track gone terribly wrong and Dave should leave that sound to Pearl Jam and stay in their lane.

Cscottrun 03-03-2022 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18146570)
I don't think the album not coming out is dave being lazy. However the longer time passes without an album I hope it only improves the project. There is a history of something taking longer but being worse than what was being recorded in older studio sessions.

My issue with come tomorrow is not that it isn't a decent 7/10 album. My issue is the fact we waited and waited between the 2015 unreleased songs to 2018 and solid music was cut for what I believe is subpart music. That has always been my complaint with DMB. When songs like Death on the High Seas and Bismark are cut and in exchange piss poor songs like the title track come tomorrow, she, and a sped up worse version of Cant Stop (compared to the older live versions) make the album is extremely frustrating.

IF CT is 7/10, what are BW and AFTW?

Unedited 03-03-2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18146608)
Agreed She sounds like a grunge track gone terribly wrong and Dave should leave that sound to Pearl Jam and stay in their lane.

Itís not a bad song itís just not DMB. It would be like if Foo Fighters wrote a Zac Brown Band style song. Iím sure it would be solid but fans wouldnít like it

monizzle145 03-03-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 18146615)

Strictly studio

AFTW 7.5
BW 8

kelchlsm 03-03-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18146433)

I cant help but roll my eyes at these posts all the time when they're made

The album isnt rolling out by the time you thought it would. And despite not knowing any inner workings of the band and whats going on- speculate that something must be up as a result.

Its very self centered

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 18146615)

6 and 1-ish

zrroot 03-03-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18146606)
That was just a general question about if he had co-writes w/ the band and if he got royalties.

I was just clarifying my lack of worry. No need to for you to respond at all...oh, this is fun, we do this all day...I mean, if you want and aren't busy???

I'm all for it I don't have much going on at work today

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-03-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18146623)

The album isnt rolling out by the time you thought it would. And despite not knowing any inner workings of the band and whats going on- speculate that something must be up as a result.

Its very self centered

I donít agree with Alpineís takes, but I donít necessarily agree with this take either. The whole itís not them, itís YOU thing isnít accurate at all. We were expecting an album because Dave Matthews said before last tour that the album is beautiful and almost finished and might be out in a few months.

That is why weíve been expecting album news. Not because we made up some random ass timeline out of thin air.

I still think an album is coming this year, probably will drop at some point during the tour. But yeah it has been a bit since the band or SiriusXM has mentioned it.

RSSR 03-03-2022 01:15 PM

This version of the band we're on still sounds like DMB to me. Despite Rashawn, Buddy, and Jeff.

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 01:22 PM

I was wondering who this "She" is that someone's calling garbage...then I remembered.

Not a favorite tune on CT, but I don't bother skipping it when we listen to the album. Definitely the most out "DMB-style" track committed to an album since ED and SU. By that I mean most generic...it sounds like a tune anyone else could've or would've come up with. Barring Dave's voice, there's nothing about it that spoke to the band's sound to date.

It's kind of interesting that t only resurfaced for the arena shows...I guess sees it as an arena rocker, but not a great summer fun shed tune?

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18146640)
This version of the band we're on still sounds like DMB to me. Despite Rashawn, Buddy, and Jeff.

I agree that they still sound like DMB, but Jeff doesn't make my despite list...maybe Tim's ALL electric ALL the time in the band format?

But Jeff was a great get to fill the sax slot. As others have said, I just wish they'd use him more in the studio and unleash him at shows.

Aforauer 03-03-2022 01:39 PM

For anyone that follows Copperpot on Instagram, heís been posting a ton of back to back DMB the last day or so. Doubt it means anything news related, but interesting at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMB1JW 03-03-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 18146680)
For anyone that follows Copperpot on Instagram, heís been posting a ton of back to back DMB the last day or so. Doubt it means anything news related, but interesting at least

Good call...

Noticed as well about Copperpots posts the past day or so...A lot of material dropping and good portion referencing song writing, etc.

RSSR 03-03-2022 01:45 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, he has no affiliation with the band. Probably means nothing.

groogrux27 03-03-2022 01:48 PM

hes probably gettin antsy just like we are haha

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18146692)
Unless I'm mistaken, he has no affiliation with the band. Probably means nothing.

He definitely should have one

Jollymonkey 03-03-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18146570)

DOTHS is one of the most boring songs Dave has ever written. I hope it stays far away from any album unless its a complete release of all their unreleased tracks.

Typical_Ant 03-03-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18146636)
I donít agree with Alpineís takes, but I donít necessarily agree with this take either. The whole itís not them, itís YOU thing isnít accurate at all. We were expecting an album because Dave Matthews said before last tour that the album is beautiful and almost finished and might be out in a few months.

That is why weíve been expecting album news. Not because we made up some random ass timeline out of thin air.

I still think an album is coming this year, probably will drop at some point during the tour. But yeah it has been a bit since the band or SiriusXM has mentioned it.

Ya, it was mean of Dave to say in October 2020 some new music was coming soon.

And by the timeline of what THEY promoted and leaked out in terms of the band laying down tracks at Haunted Hollow and essentially being done with them in 2020 as well, it somehow is now that the fans made this timeline up that a foreseeable album was coming in the following 6 -9 months. Which has now been 18 months and looking like closer to 2 years.

It is all my perception. I should not have believed Dave himself when he said music is coming soon. Soon to a mid 50's man is not the same as soon to a mid 30's person.

monizzle145 03-03-2022 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jollymonkey (Post 18146713)
DOTHS is one of the most boring songs Dave has ever written. I hope it stays far away from any album unless its a complete release of all their unreleased tracks.

The song could add balance to an album. Dave knows how to make these happy go lucky cheesy songs as we saw with come tomorrow but having something different is better. I was at the Hartford show where it debuted with Branford on sax and loved it. I would easily take it over Come Tomorrow, That Girl is You, She, and Can't Stop when comparing them head to head with other new songs from that 2015-18 era.

Typical_Ant 03-03-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18146734)
The song could add balance to an album. Dave knows how to make these happy go lucky cheesy songs as we saw with come tomorrow but having something different is better. I was at the Hartford show where it debuted with Branford on sax and loved it. I would easily take it over Come Tomorrow, That Girl is You, She, and Can't Stop when comparing them head to head with other new songs from that 2015-18 era.

I love DOTHS. I think it would make a great studio track, as long as it's not like a highlighted part of the album. If it's thrown in the middle or near the end along with 13 or 14 other good tunes, I think it would be incredible.

jaymas9 03-03-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18146636)

Perfectly said.

groogrux27 03-03-2022 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typical_Ant (Post 18146736)
I love DOTHS. I think it would make a great studio track, as long as it's not like a highlighted part of the album. If it's thrown in the middle or near the end along with 13 or 14 other good tunes, I think it would be incredible.

same goes for VitTR, its a fantastic studio song, and if they were to work on it, add in some parts for Buddy, Jeff, and had a strong presence from Stefan, DotHS could really, really shine

Alpine416 03-03-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18146623)

Its very self centered

We can lean on the "there is no official announcement, so there should be no expectations" narrative as much as we'd like. But an album has been mentioned by band members several times over the last couple years. At a certain point the very fact there is no official announcement in it of itself is botchery.

Then you can add in the layer of this community (which albeit is a very small/hardcore group of the community) and the insider info that has corroborated timelines. Now there is a laundry list of those timelines that have come and went. None of my post is based on my expectations.

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 02:53 PM

It's so Bruce's fault that DMB management hasn't given us album updates that they owe us!!!

grilldanmo 03-03-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18146813)
It's so Bruce's fault that DMB management hasn't given us album updates that they owe us!!!

I KNEW IT!

:rattle

Alpine416 03-03-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18146813)

Yes exactly. TS is the only one who understands my point of view.

Dagwin 03-03-2022 03:25 PM

I always picture some of the band members reading some of our posts for pure entertainment. I can see them laughing their asses off!

I know I would be if I were one of them.

monizzle145 03-03-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18146692)

Yeah no affiliation with the band. Hasn't monitized or any social media platform does it because he loves the band.

notorious v.i.g 03-03-2022 03:38 PM

I never thought they owed us but updates would be just a normal thing that a normal band would do. Tough to understand really.

justindugan 03-03-2022 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #MDMBGA (Post 18145038)
I bet September release if it doesnít get worked on to nothing. I donít think the summer tour is in any way tacitly tied to a new album. Ants people, who obsess over the band, probably make up a small percentage of concert goers. Maybe 90% of the people who will attend the summer concerts have no idea thereís been an album in the works for years and probably donít care. From what I can tell they go to Dave shows to drink and shout to their friends the whole time. And maybe throw up at some point.

Some girl threw up on my feet at my first DMB show. I've never worn flip flops to a concert since.

bibby1044 03-03-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justindugan (Post 18146979)
Some girl threw up on my feet at my first DMB show. I've never worn flip flops to a concert since.

:lol :lol :lol

BarkRock 03-03-2022 05:45 PM

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats just put out a new Album in Nov and today casually said they are releasing more songs in a couple of months like it is no big deal.

That kind of stuff gets a fanbase pumped. They just want it out there for us to hear. No second guessing if its good enough... just here it is, enjoy!

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18146990)
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats just put out a new Album in Nov and today casually said they are releasing more songs in a couple of months like it is no big deal.

That kind of stuff gets a fanbase pumped. They just want it out there for us to hear. No second guessing if its good enough... just here it is, enjoy!

Releasing music faster than the Dave Matthews Band doesn't mean things aren't second guessed

BarkRock 03-03-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18147000)
Releasing music faster than the Dave Matthews Band doesn't mean things aren't second guessed

Maybe not, but releasing music that doesn't make the album is great.

Cscottrun 03-03-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18146619)
Strictly studio

AFTW 7.5
BW 8

Wow. .5 separates AFTW and CT? I don't think there's a song on CT that comes anywhere near the quality of Snow Outside or Broken Things. Much larger gap between the two for me.

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 18147011)
Wow. .5 separates AFTW and CT? I don't think there's a song on CT that comes anywhere near the quality of Snow Outside or Broken Things. Much larger gap between the two for me.

Snow Outside: I count 6
Broken Things: I count 8

ericvol 03-03-2022 07:30 PM

BTCS - 11
TLWS - 10.5
Crash - 10
BS - 10
UTTAD - 10
SD - 9
Everyday - 8.5
AFTW - 8
BW - 8
CT - 6
SU - 5

bibby1044 03-03-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Ardbark 03-03-2022 08:26 PM

DMB Album Theirs

Before these crowded streets
Crash
Under the table and dreaming

Busted stuff

Away from the world
Big Whiskey and the Gru Grux Long
Come tomorrow

Stand up
Everyday

That's what it is, there is no argument and this is considered law. The new album could fall within their 3.

oasisfan35 03-03-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardbark (Post 18147051)
DMB Album Theirs

Before these crowded streets
Crash
Under the table and dreaming

Busted stuff

Away from the world
Big Whiskey and the Gru Grux Long
Come tomorrow

Stand up
Everyday

That's what it is, there is no argument and this is considered law. The new album could fall within their 3.

There could be an argument as they're all good albums in their own right but the typos are making me tier up

BTCS_JTR 03-03-2022 09:03 PM

This is the Gru Grux Long

https://i.imgur.com/rj9xtOv.jpg

LaLaLaLaHey 03-03-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

VITR comes close imo

ToySoldier#34 03-03-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 18147071)
VITR comes close imo

Blows both out of the water

YankeesDMB41 03-03-2022 09:46 PM

If you look at CT for what it was, it's not a bad album. They went back to a bunch of old ideas and put them on an album. How many songs on that album were actually written when they recorded it? Even Cop and Again and Again were in heavy rotation by that point.

bibby1044 03-03-2022 09:47 PM

I’m a big VITR fan and it definitely is not better than the studio snow outside track. I don’t even think it’s better than broken things either but snow outside is as perfect as a studio track can be.

OutofDarkness 03-03-2022 09:52 PM

Studio VITR can stand up to anything on AFTW. Not sure I'd say it's better than the best of AFTW, just on the same level.

YankeesDMB41 03-03-2022 09:54 PM

They're all A+'s to me

bibby1044 03-03-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutofDarkness (Post 18147086)
Studio VITR can stand up to anything on AFTW. Not sure I'd say it's better than the best of AFTW, just on the same level.

I agree with this.

RSSR 03-04-2022 12:30 AM

I’ve come to realize I might enjoy CT more than I do AFTW. Some of the songs off of AFTW I can’t recall the melody for (The Riff for example) no matter how many times I’ve actually listened to AFTW.

monizzle145 03-04-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Virginia in the Rain and Black and Bluebird to me are solid songs I put just at or slightly over Snow Outside

Although Drunken Soldier and Broken Things are above anything from CT in my opinion

dreamingtree_34 03-04-2022 01:34 AM

Isn't it as probable as anything else that someone(s) in the band said, "really? this is the group of songs we want to release as our next record?" Maybe the whole covid writing spree was an impulse thing and with more time they realized the quality isn't there. Unenthusiastic response to live performances can't have helped. With their time taken between records and Carter's age, maybe they're considering this their last chance of sorts to make a splash with a studio record. Their relevance isn't huge anyway, but it's only fading by the year and who's going to care in say 2027 (when key band members are pushing 70)? There's no more time for redemption records- might as well try to release something that has staying power with people.

ericvol 03-04-2022 08:36 AM

I’m hoping they were like want it to be more full band album and songs like Windows and any other potential Dave Diddies were scrapped for powerhouses like MME and WATM.

madhatter 03-04-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 (Post 18147197)
Isn't it as probable as anything else that someone(s) in the band said, "really? this is the group of songs we want to release as our next record?" Maybe the whole covid writing spree was an impulse thing and with more time they realized the quality isn't there. Unenthusiastic response to live performances can't have helped. With their time taken between records and Carter's age, maybe they're considering this their last chance of sorts to make a splash with a studio record. Their relevance isn't huge anyway, but it's only fading by the year and who's going to care in say 2027 (when key band members are pushing 70)? There's no more time for redemption records- might as well try to release something that has staying power with people.

Unenthusiastic responses? The response has been overwhelmingly positive for the new songs from what I've seen.

And by all reports, the band is super excited by the songs as well.

So...no, I don't think this is very likely.

jaymas9 03-04-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18147248)
Unenthusiastic responses? The response has been overwhelmingly positive for the new songs from what I've seen.

And by all reports, the band is super excited by the songs as well.

So...no, I don't think this is very likely.

This person is clearly projecting their own feelings onto the fanbase as a whole.

Alpine416 03-04-2022 10:23 AM

The reception has been positive for the new songs for sure. Not 100% sure it is warranted though. Let's take a look:
WATM
MME
TOT
OATB
SFTW

WATM and MME are pretty universally acclaimed. TOT is the most disliked. OATB, imo a snoozefest but some people dig it. SFTW, nice little song but still don't think it will age well. Two songs does not a great album make. If they are rounding it out with stuff like DOTHS and Something to Tell My Baby it is not going to be good.

Aforauer 03-04-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18147305)
The reception has been positive for the new songs for sure. Not 100% sure it is warranted though. Let's take a look:
WATM
MME
TOT
OATB
SFTW

WATM and MME are pretty universally acclaimed. TOT is the most disliked. OATB, imo a snoozefest but some people dig it. SFTW, nice little song but still don't think it will age well. Two songs does not a great album make. If they are rounding it out with stuff like DOTHS and Something to Tell My Baby it is not going to be good.

Agreed for sure. I think TOT is catchy at least. OATB sucks live IMO it doesnít go anywhere at all and sounds empty

ToySoldier#34 03-04-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18147193)
Virginia in the Rain and Black and Bluebird to me are solid songs I put just at or slightly over Snow Outside

Although Drunken Soldier and Broken Things are above anything from CT in my opinion

I really do think Broken Things might be the most overrated song in the last 15 years or so, not saying it is bad but people make it out to be some really really special top tier song whenever it comes up

KevinTH 03-04-2022 11:09 AM

I'm going to jump in here and defend Ocean and the Butterfly the way I have Black and Bluebird all these years. It's a great song. Why is it any time this guy writes a slow mellow tune it immediately becomes a snooze fest? Are Lover Lay Down, Pay For What You Get, #34 and Proudest Monkey all snooze fests? No, but they were on the first three albums so they get a pass.

#34 is practically the same lick over and over and over and over, yet it's highly revered in the DMB catalog. Pay for What You Get has a little sax solo in the middle but is mostly the same chord progression throughout. I don't know, musically they aren't that much more interesting than OATB in my opinion. If anything OATB feels more like an older DMB tune in a lot of ways. That soprano sax lift in the middle of the song is so beautifully Roi sounding, the lyrics are good and Carter is playing brushes for the first time since Pay for What You Get. I just wish it was a little longer and they expand on the sax at some point.

ToySoldier#34 03-04-2022 11:13 AM

OATB is kind of sort of modern STDH

theflower 03-04-2022 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18147346)
I'm going to jump in here and defend Ocean and the Butterfly the way I have Black and Bluebird all these years. It's a great song. Why is it any time this guy writes a slow mellow tune it immediately becomes a snooze fest? Are Lover Lay Down, Pay For What You Get, #34 and Proudest Monkey all snooze fests? No, but they were on the first three albums so they get a pass.

#34 is practically the same lick over and over and over and over, yet it's highly revered in the DMB catalog. Pay for What You Get has a little sax solo in the middle but is mostly the same chord progression throughout. I don't know, musically they aren't that much more interesting than OATB in my opinion. If anything OATB feels more like an older DMB tune in a lot of ways. That soprano sax lift in the middle of the song is so beautifully Roi sounding, the lyrics are good and Carter is playing brushes for the first time since Pay for What You Get. I just wish it was a little longer and they expand on the sax at some point.

you speak truth and wisdom. the complexity of the music does not make the song. look at proudest monkey. It's literally 3 notes repeating in a loop.

i really like the jazz influences i hear in the full band OATBF and how it's slowed down from how dave solo plays it. I think studio could sound beautiful. i agree with what you say about black and bluebird too, though the studio version is not my cup of tea. Wish they captured the magic of the first band performance on the letterman show in the studio. that outro is perfection.

Gunz 03-04-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18147325)
I really do think Broken Things might be the most overrated song in the last 15 years or so, not saying it is bad but people make it out to be some really really special top tier song whenever it comes up

Iíd rather listen to a lovely ladies queef solo.

DMBCardinal 03-04-2022 12:13 PM

I like OATB, especially what Jeff does on it. It may sound weird, but in my head the sax is meant to be the butterfly.

monizzle145 03-04-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 18147352)
you speak truth and wisdom. the complexity of the music does not make the song. look at proudest monkey. It's literally 3 notes repeating in a loop.

i really like the jazz influences i hear in the full band OATBF and how it's slowed down from how dave solo plays it. I think studio could sound beautiful. i agree with what you say about black and bluebird too, though the studio version is not my cup of tea. Wish they captured the magic of the first band performance on the letterman show in the studio. that outro is perfection.

Wasn't a fan of OATBF from recordings then I heard it at the gorge and I loved it. And I agree songs like Black and Bluebird and OATBF are gems especially in the context of what the band produces in this post roi era. I get sick of the upbeat loud fast songs from this era and appreciate the Black and Bluebirds being acoustic percussive driven with subtle light touches instead of the ear shattering roarshawn ross or tim c/dc runs that bury daves guitar.

LaLaLaLaHey 03-04-2022 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18147187)
Iíve come to realize I might enjoy CT more than I do AFTW. Some of the songs off of AFTW I canít recall the melody for (The Riff for example) no matter how many times Iíve actually listened to AFTW.

Really? Maybe itís just because Iíve played it on guitar, but The Riff is a powerhouse. I wouldnít say Iím the biggest fan of the song, but I appreciate the arrangement and build it has.

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-04-2022 01:06 PM

The jazzy groove of Ocean and the Butterfly is infectious. Itís right up there with WATM and Madmanís Eyes for me. Canít wait to hear these songs in the studio.

RSSR 03-04-2022 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 18147415)
Really? Maybe itís just because Iíve played it on guitar, but The Riff is a powerhouse. I wouldnít say Iím the biggest fan of the song, but I appreciate the arrangement and build it has.

Yes really, that song and others on AFTW puts me to sleep.

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-04-2022 01:25 PM

Damn, The Riff is one of my favorites of the past two decades. Love that song.

greywind13 03-04-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 18147384)
I like OATB, especially what Jeff does on it. It may sound weird, but in my head the sax is meant to be the butterfly.

Yep that's exactly what it's supposed to be.

I'm a fan of OATB too, although I can understand why people don't love it at full-band shows. It's a nice song for solo or D&T shows, even if you miss Jeff's part. I'm excited to hear the studio cut, I suspect it'll get a lot more love in that form.

madhatter 03-04-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18147452)
Damn, The Riff is one of my favorites of the past two decades. Love that song.

This is how I feel about Snow Outside. Best studio track since early 2000's.

Aforauer 03-04-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 18147488)
This is how I feel about Snow Outside. Best studio track since early 2000's.

And yet the song never gets played. Criminal! Love snow outside

BarkRock 03-04-2022 02:15 PM

When I was single and a younger lad, I liked the slower tunes because it meant a hopefulness to find the one.

Now, married with kids, I want to hear the jams and upbeat stuff. So although the slower tunes aren't bad, just don't prefer them. I don't get the DOTHS love personally, but if someone else does - Great, glad it hits different.

Dave's worse song IMO is Angel. If someone says Angel is good, that's a different story...

Alpine416 03-04-2022 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarkRock (Post 18147501)
When I was single and a younger lad, I liked the slower tunes because it meant a hopefulness to find the one.

Now, married with kids, I want to hear the jams and upbeat stuff. So although the slower tunes aren't bad, just don't prefer them. I don't get the DOTHS love personally, but if someone else does - Great, glad it hits different.

Dave's worse song IMO is Angel. If someone says Angel is good, that's a different story...

Angel > DOTHS

A different little quiet song on the piano is one thing (OOMH is fine). But to enjoy Dave belting out "ooooooooooooooooh babyyyyy how I love you, oooooooohhhhh babbyyy don't youuu don't youuuu, ooooooooohhh babbbbbyyy don't cry" in a raspy falsetto makes me question your auditory preferences.

bowa36 03-04-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18147513)
Angel > DOTHS

A different little quiet song on the piano is one thing (OOMH is fine). But to enjoy Dave belting out "ooooooooooooooooh babyyyyy how I love you, oooooooohhhhh babbyyy don't youuu don't youuuu, ooooooooohhh babbbbbyyy don't cry" in a raspy falsetto makes me question your auditory preferences.

No fucking way. :lol

ToySoldier#34 03-04-2022 02:46 PM

Very much enjoy DOTHS and the part being referenced specifically

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-04-2022 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18147539)

Same here

groogrux27 03-04-2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18147583)
Same here

make it 3

DMB1JW 03-04-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 18147588)
make it 3

Add me to the list #4

LaLaLaLaHey 03-04-2022 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18147539)

I'll be #5

BMus1 03-04-2022 04:48 PM

I'll be #6 and remind you that Dave's live falsetto =/= Dave's studio falsetto.

groogrux27 03-04-2022 04:50 PM

will we get to #10?????

Alpine416 03-04-2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMus1 (Post 18147638)
I'll be #6 and remind you that Dave's live falsetto =/= Dave's studio falsetto.

So we are supposed to like DOTHS based his voice being made to sound better in the studio for a song that doesn't have a released studio version (and maybe never will) and that can't be replicated at a live show?

ToySoldier#34 03-04-2022 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18147648)
So we are supposed to like DOTHS based his voice being made to sound better in the studio for a song that doesn't have a released studio version (and maybe never will) and that can't be replicated at a live show?

Nobody is supposed to do anything, people like the vocals live, it's March and you don't have to do your thing until May

Cptn. Monkeyman 03-04-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18147648)

Just because he doesnít always hit the notes live doesnít mean itís not a good song.