Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

stlbluespower 05-18-2016 05:12 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 (Post 16423409)
Wasn't trying to be click-baiting or devil's advocate. A lot of people really hate DMB, especially from the Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. camps. I'm in several record collector groups on FB and just seeing how they react to the nominees makes me think they would really hate for DMB to be in the HoF before a lot of other acts make it in.

Not saying I agree with them. Like others have mentioned, they have the accolades to deserve being inducted.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just see lots of people not liking it. IMO they do deserve it - they have the accolades.

make up your mind. your earlier post said "rightfully so" when talking of all the pissed off people who would feel tons of other bands deserve it before DMB.

stlbluespower 05-18-2016 05:16 PM

a little surprised at all the love the tour is getting so far (save for Houston) on these boards. Also a little surprised at how well the new songs are being received. Just not used such positivity around here in recent years I guess.

ajc_1988 05-18-2016 07:45 PM

its refreshing.

spoot388 05-18-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 16424554)
a little surprised at all the love the tour is getting so far (save for Houston) on these boards. Also a little surprised at how well the new songs are being received. Just not used such positivity around here in recent years I guess.

while there has been some low points, like songs like jimi being played almost every night, the band has shown some positive things as well. some solid liberations early and the new songs are actually pretty good. even with the repeated songs, the shows themselves, in a vacuum, are pretty solid each night.

lieinmygrave41 05-18-2016 10:13 PM

^ positive consensus towards a new song is the rarest thing you will ever find on this board. :lol

Mateo2k 05-19-2016 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 16425552)
while there has been some low points, like songs like jimi being played almost every night, the band has shown some positive things as well. some solid liberations early and the new songs are actually pretty good. even with the repeated songs, the shows themselves, in a vacuum, are pretty solid each night.

It should be noted that what you're calling the "low point" is a fan favorite in regards to people who are actually AT the show.

Taylor36 05-19-2016 09:44 AM

I became a DMB fan in 2005, and at the time felt like a super-late-comer-missed-the-boat-on-the-band's-prime. That's still pretty much true. But, it's hard to believe the 2006 Summer tour was 10 years ago! That's the same amount of time as there was between the 1998 Summer tour and the 2008 summer tour.

hailtopitt 05-19-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor36 (Post 16426351)
I became a DMB fan in 2005, and at the time felt like a super-late-comer-missed-the-boat-on-the-band's-prime. That's still pretty much true. But, it's hard to believe the 2006 Summer tour was 10 years ago! That's the same amount of time as there was between the 1998 Summer tour and the 2008 summer tour.

#Math

Taylor36 05-19-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16426354)
#Math

Lovely day in the 'burgh today, isn't it?

ryguy469 05-19-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16426354)
#Math

:lol :lol :lol

ryguy469 05-19-2016 10:19 AM

Jimi Thing > Sexy MF is going to be so overplayed this tour. Sad.

BeyondKnight 05-19-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy469 (Post 16426473)

Maybe, but just keep in mind that at each one of those shows its someone's first Jimi Sexy MF.

Too Much was played 43 times in 99 when I saw my first show, but it was the only one I was going to see and I was stoked to hear it.

Hilly 05-19-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16426534)
Maybe, but just keep in mind that at each one of those shows its someone's first Jimi Sexy MF.

Too Much was played 43 times in 99 when I saw my first show, but it was the only one I was going to see and I was stoked to hear it.

Shh. Don't point that out.

There's a lot of lovely, devoted fans who eagerly pay attention to setlists every night, and adding greater diversity to sets will really demonstrate how much the band cares about those loyal fans who were some where else that night.

dontdrink36 05-19-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16426566)
Shh. Don't point that out.

There's a lot of lovely, devoted fans who eagerly pay attention to setlists every night, and adding greater diversity to sets will really demonstrate how much the band cares about those loyal fans who were some where else that night.

Unless it's their first show ever they have likely heard both those songs.

ryguy469 05-19-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

I would pay money NOT to hear it. So chew on that for a moment.

BeyondKnight 05-19-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16426588)
Unless it's their first show ever they have likely heard both those songs.

Every show is someone's first show. Every song is someone's first song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy469 (Post 16426636)
I would pay money NOT to hear it. So chew on that for a moment.

How much money are we talking? I'll hold my fingers in your ears.

Mr. Pineapple 05-19-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy469 (Post 16426473)

Nowadays, I wish I had a remote like on that movie, Click, so I could just fast forward to the dueling horns. I do still enjoy that part, I have to say.

Mr. Pineapple 05-19-2016 04:33 PM

I got this crazy hunch that we're gonna see a Last Stop opener before this tour's up. ;) Way overdue.

Mateo2k 05-19-2016 05:27 PM

They'll save that for a VA crowd.

Or maybe NC

spoot388 05-20-2016 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 16425616)
It should be noted that what you're calling the "low point" is a fan favorite in regards to people who are actually AT the show.

yes, jimi is a fan favorite at shows, but for the tour as a whole, having one song played at 80% of the shows kind of goes against what DMB was always about, that you'd never know what was going to be played on any given night. its also always played at the very end of the set. its set positions have been 19, 17, 18, 18. i'm not calling jimi itself a low point, but rather its incredible predictable-ness. 10pm rolls around and you're almost guaranteed to get jimi.

warehouse, DDTW, nancies, rapunzel, and billies are all fan favorites too and have only been played half as much as jimi. ants, BOWA, and YMDT have only been played once so far. two step and shake me haven't even debuted yet.

and honestly, songs shouldn't be played more than half the shows, no matter what it is. as with every tour, there is not as much moderation as there should be.

dpduke5173 05-20-2016 05:38 AM

2 things:

1. Surprised B&BB hasn't popped back up yet.

2. I wish they would mess around with the BEF segues by the end of the tour so we don't know if we are going to get Bismarck, Bartender, LIOG, or Granny.

dontdrink36 05-20-2016 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondKnight (Post 16426751)
Every show is someone's first show. Every song is someone's first song.

So that means we should all be okay with closing most shows? I don't see the logic.

Hilly 05-20-2016 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 16427311)
for the tour as a whole, having one song played at 80% of the shows kind of goes against what DMB was always about, that you'd never know what was going to be played on any given night.

This is a myth more than reality.

Hilly 05-20-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16427411)
So that means we should all be okay with closing most shows? I don't see the logic.

I think its more that not everyone in the crowd goes to every show on the tour.

Those that do are going to have to be okay with hearing a few songs repeated. If you don't like that, pick one show, don't watch setlists, etc.

ToySoldier#34 05-20-2016 06:43 AM

I wish Dave would consistently throw in little solo songs like Butterfly, Baby, #40, Little Red Bird, Oh, etc. after big songs in the middle of the set.

bowa36 05-20-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16427454)

Agreed...

See 2004

WidespreadMule3 05-20-2016 07:54 AM

While at the LR show I was actually impressed with the unpredictability of the setlist. Well until Gravedigger on but still the majority of the show I wasn't really ever certain what'd be next.

hailtopitt 05-20-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16427454)

yup :thumbsup

kelchlsm 05-20-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 16427505)
I wish Dave would consistently throw in little solo songs like Butterfly, Baby, #40, Little Red Bird, Oh, etc. after big songs in the middle of the set.

:thumbsup I support this

but1well 05-20-2016 09:22 AM

If only jimi would be 8 minutes and have WWBOM