Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 08-25-2016 12:30 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I miss Bolly so much.

<3 <3 <3

fonzz41 08-25-2016 01:57 PM

Buckle up...

Quote:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Hearing Jared Bednar as Avalance new coach. May not be finalized at this moment.

lockman21 08-25-2016 02:24 PM

Walking down David Bolland memory lane. :lorraine

fonzz41 08-25-2016 02:29 PM

Bednar hiring is official. Good amount of success in the minors, including Calder Cup last year. After everything that's gone on, I'm just excited to see what he can do with this team.

TMoore4075 08-25-2016 02:33 PM

I wish I knew who that was. A younger team though so maybe this hire will work out. He can't have as big of an ego as Roy so that should help.

fonzz41 08-25-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16565166)
I wish I knew who that was. A younger team though so maybe this hire will work out. He can't have as big of an ego as Roy so that should help.

I'm just learning about him now. But yeah, sometimes young coach + young team works out. His track record indicates he knows what he's doing, so we'll see if that can translate to NHL success.

Lcsulla 08-25-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16563767)
Good read about the Hartford Whalers on ESPN today. Check it out if you get the chance.

Saw that, it was a great read. It is completely true that people from all across the country (even many who know squat about the NHL) recognize and comment on a whaler shirt or hat. Growing up in CT they were literally the only team we had to cheer for here and during the 1980's they were constantly improving after their debut season where they made the playoffs - winning a first round series in 1986 and then winning the Adams division the following season sparked a lot of hopes here. Then out of the blue they dumped Mike Liut, Ulf Samuelson, Sylvain Turgeon, Ray Ferraro, Dave Tippett, Joel Quenneville, Dean Evason, Kevin Dineen and Ron Francis (among lesser known players) in less than two years and they went down into the crapper and attendance waned. Then by the mid 1990's it was pretty apparent they would not be staying in CT despite efforts by fans. It sucked for many of us who had to pick new teams - admittedly made slightly easier to take for those of us in southwest area because the Yankees had won their first World Series in almost 20 years.

~Crashintome89~ 08-25-2016 03:24 PM

why the hell would the panthers trade lawson crouse in a salary dump?

fonzz41 08-25-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16565227)
why the hell would the panthers trade lawson crouse in a salary dump?

Because ARI isn't in to handing out favors. You want to dump salary? Pay the piper! Steep price to pay though... Crouse should be good.

Good on the Coyotes, who have actually on a couple occasions now used their cap space as a bargaining chip to land young prospects. And when you've got the talent pool they have, you can afford to let go of a 2nd and 3rd pick here and there.

lockman21 08-25-2016 03:50 PM

Hawks had to move Teuvo to shed Bickell's garbage contract.

fonzz41 08-26-2016 02:06 PM

Excellent, boner-inducing PT article on the 5 toughest defensemen Logan Couture faces. He makes some killer insights:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/log...3&kwp_1=404658

mr.MikeD 08-26-2016 02:34 PM

The avs hire reminds me of the Dallas Eakins experiment in Edmonton. Hopefully goes better.

lockman21 08-26-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16566445)
Excellent, boner-inducing PT article on the 5 toughest defensemen Logan Couture faces. He makes some killer insights:

God, I love Duncan Keith. People talk about being mesmerized by Patty Kane, and rightfully so, but I always am by #2.

I watch a lot of hockey, like way too much hockey, and I'd argue Keith as the best defenseman in the league with anyone. As great as Doughty, Karlsson, Weber, etc. are, I'd take Keith over every one of them in a heartbeat. Plays the position as perfect as anyone in the league.

He can close out time and space so fast, it's unreal to watch. Keith doesn't play a 2-on-1 like anyone else. Most guys just play their angles and take away the pass at the last second, while Keith makes the skaters think they have options, until BOOM, no pass or shot ever got off, and all the sudden Keith is in their space, taking away the puck, and throwing a tape-to-tape pass to the opposite blue line transitioning the play the other way and now it's a 3-on-2 for the Hawks before anyone even really realizes what happened.

He's not going to appear on the highlight reel with a Big Buff or Doughty type hit, or a Shea Weber slapper at 105 mph, but he does everything so right.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 02:43 PM

i guess this'll be another year where Letang doesn't get the credit he deserves :rolleyes

under the radar is fine by me

lockman21 08-26-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566544)
i guess this'll be another year where Letang doesn't get the credit he deserves :rolleyes

I think Letang is a great defenseman, and nothing against him, I just think he falls somewhere around 6-10 (if we're ranking stuff, which I don't necessarily love).

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 03:02 PM

i was being a little tongue-in-cheek

i do think Letang has caught and surpassed Karlsson in overall game though. and by a decent amount

lockman21 08-26-2016 03:38 PM

Totally understand that opinion, as long as you don't think he passed Duncan Keith. Which would clearly be just 100% wrong.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 03:39 PM

:lol:lol

fonzz41 08-26-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 16566518)
The avs hire reminds me of the Dallas Eakins experiment in Edmonton. Hopefully goes better.

Me too, buddy. Me too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16566538)
God, I love Duncan Keith. People talk about being mesmerized by Patty Kane, and rightfully so, but I always am by #2.

I watch a lot of hockey, like way too much hockey, and I'd argue Keith as the best defenseman in the league with anyone. As great as Doughty, Karlsson, Weber, etc. are, I'd take Keith over every one of them in a heartbeat. Plays the position as perfect as anyone in the league.

He can close out time and space so fast, it's unreal to watch. Keith doesn't play a 2-on-1 like anyone else. Most guys just play their angles and take away the pass at the last second, while Keith makes the skaters think they have options, until BOOM, no pass or shot ever got off, and all the sudden Keith is in their space, taking away the puck, and throwing a tape-to-tape pass to the opposite blue line transitioning the play the other way and now it's a 3-on-2 for the Hawks before anyone even really realizes what happened.

He's not going to appear on the highlight reel with a Big Buff or Doughty type hit, or a Shea Weber slapper at 105 mph, but he does everything so right.

As we've talked about before, I agree. Top 3 in the league with Weber and Doughty in my book in terms of overall game. If I were asked to pick one for my team, I'd probably just have to put their names in a hat and pick one. So much goodness.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566544)

I know it was tongue in cheek, but the fact that Couture doesn't see a lot of Letang probably goes into this. even so, hard to argue with his picks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566614)
I do think Letang has caught and surpassed Karlsson in overall game though. and by a decent amount

Disagree heartily, although they do play a very similar game.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16566701)
I know it was tongue in cheek, but the fact that Couture doesn't see a lot of Letang probably goes into this. even so, hard to argue with his picks.

except for 6 consecutive games at the highest level and biggest games of the sport ;)

fonzz41 08-26-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566704)
except for 6 consecutive games at the highest level and biggest games of the sport ;)

I knew you'd come back with that :)

Other than that, maybe 2-3 times per season? Notice all his picks were guys in the west who he sees a lot more per season, which is telling.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16566701)
Disagree heartily, although they do play a very similar game.

over the last 3 seasons, with similar time on ice minutes (Karlsson averages about 1:00 more than Letang each season):

Letang +13
Karlsson -11

Letang 0.80 points/gm
Karlsson 0.90 points/gm

Letang 2.16 hits/gm at even strength
Karlsson 1.35 hit/gm at even strength

Letang 1.17 giveaways/gm
Karlsson 1.58 giveaways/gm

add those numbers along side the eye test for each guy, and i'll take Letang 8 days a week

edit: oh, and forgot to mention the 2 Stanley Cup rings for Letang ;)

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16566706)
I knew you'd come back with that :)

Other than that, maybe 2-3 times per season? Notice all his picks were guys in the west who he sees a lot more per season, which is telling.

i know i know...

fonzz41 08-26-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566717)
over the last 3 seasons, with similar time on ice minutes (Karlsson averages about 1:00 more than Letang each season):

Letang +13
Karlsson -11

Letang 0.80 points/gm
Karlsson 0.90 points/gm

Letang 2.16 hits/gm at even strength
Karlsson 1.35 hit/gm at even strength

Letang 1.17 giveaways/gm
Karlsson 1.58 giveaways/gm

add those numbers along side the eye test for each guy, and i'll take Letang 8 days a week

edit: oh, and forgot to mention the 2 Stanley Cup rings for Letang ;)

:lol nice job grabbing all those stats.

All well and good. And I like Letang plenty. I just don't think he has surpassed Karlsson in overall game. They are both in the top 10 d-men in the league, which pretty much makes this conversation nothing more than an exercise in preference.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 04:57 PM

plus who can resist that French-Canadian accent? so dreamy

TheLastPig 08-26-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566786)
plus who can resist that French-Canadian accent? so dreamy

Dont forgot that perfect head of hair.... and smoking hot wife.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16566794)
Dont forgot that perfect head of hair.... and smoking hot wife.

http://fabwags.com/wp-content/upload...s-letang-1.jpg

TheLastPig 08-26-2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16566796)

I just went from 6 to midnight without even looking at the right side of that photo.

hailtopitt 08-26-2016 05:08 PM

:lol:lol

Lcsulla 08-26-2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16566445)

They really did a great job with this site, I find it far more interesting than any other sports site even though I know a lot of it is ghost written. I figured it would flop after a few months but the sheer number of contributors they have gotten is great. I remember when Jeter first announced the idea and my first reaction was 'Oh lord, do you really have to be front and center for everything?' And I am a Yankees fan - who is admittedly eating his words. :lol