Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 06-15-2016 04:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16467636)
That's phenomenal. :lol

My co-worker's gf was at the parade today and got some good pictures, including this wonderful sight.

Needs more Fat Kessel

TheLastPig 06-15-2016 04:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16467636)
That's phenomenal. :lol

My co-worker's gf was at the parade today and got some good pictures, including this wonderful sight.

I watched from my work computer.

Kinda glad I didnt take the day off to go. It was pretty short and it seemed like people filed out quickly. I had a better view from TV than my friends did down there.

hailtopitt 06-15-2016 04:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16467591)

:lol:lol

fat-fucking-tasctic

Dramageek 06-15-2016 04:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16467640)
I watched from my work computer.

Kinda glad I didnt take the day off to go. It was pretty short and it seemed like people filed out quickly. I had a better view from TV than my friends did down there.

Same. I was fine not fighting traffic to get into town early in the morning and watching on the computer instead. Plus I got to see the last one because I was working downtown at the time.

hailtopitt 06-15-2016 04:25 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16467640)
I watched from my work computer.

Kinda glad I didnt take the day off to go. It was pretty short and it seemed like people filed out quickly. I had a better view from TV than my friends did down there.

same here...they're saying it was the largest parade in Pittsburgh history

over 400k (which is more than the actual city population lol)

that's saying something considering we recently had 2 Steelers parades

truly a hockey hot bed

TMoore4075 06-15-2016 04:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/bi...he-salary-cap/

Thoughts boys and girl? I get what he's saying but there are gonna be negatives and positives with a salary cap. It spreads out the wealth of talent in a much more even manner than lets say...the NBA. Yes you get into this situation but Blackhawks also had a lot of success too. He mentions Teravainen being a causality and I'm not sure he is. Yes he goes from a good team to a crap team but he gets to show himself in a way he might not have been able to in Chicago. Is the other option no cap? Because the NHL wasn't better off then. My team was....but the NHL wasn't.

fonzz41 06-15-2016 04:36 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16467669)
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/bi...he-salary-cap/

Thoughts boys and girl? I get what he's saying but there are gonna be negatives and positives with a salary cap. It spreads out the wealth of talent in a much more even manner than lets say...the NBA. Yes you get into this situation but Blackhawks also had a lot of success too. He mentions Teravainen being a causality and I'm not sure he is. Yes he goes from a good team to a crap team but he gets to show himself in a way he might not have been able to in Chicago. Is the other option no cap? Because the NHL wasn't better off then. My team was....but the NHL wasn't.

Sorry, as soon as I saw the article was by Ken Campbell, I closed it. I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing that guy has said. I think his job with THN is to look at an issue and take the opposing side, using whatever biased and short-sighted rationale he can to prove that point. He's just a weirdo.

BeyondKnight 06-15-2016 04:39 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16467640)
I watched from my work computer.

Kinda glad I didnt take the day off to go. It was pretty short and it seemed like people filed out quickly. I had a better view from TV than my friends did down there.


I work downtown - I was going to go up and right before I was going to leave I got a 'walk-by' at my desk. By the time I was done I went down to the stage at the end of the route, but it was packed and I couldn't get that close to see anything.

TMoore4075 06-15-2016 04:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16467679)
Sorry, as soon as I saw the article was by Ken Campbell, I closed it. I don't think I've ever agreed with a single thing that guy has said. I think his job with THN is to look at an issue and take the opposing side, using whatever biased and short-sighted rationale he can to prove that point. He's just a weirdo.

You are correct about him. He just tries to create the drama I guess. He's probably someone who back in 2004 saying that the NHL needs a salary cap because it's not fair that Detroit, Philly, Toronto, Colorado, Dallas and New York get to buy all the free agents but now complains the cap is terrible because the good teams can't stay good ya know what those teams did before the salary cap.

Lcsulla 06-15-2016 06:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Good god this idea of PC gone crazy is vomit inducing: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/qu...-crest-change/

barbogast 06-15-2016 06:34 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16467882)
Good god this idea of PC gone crazy is vomit inducing: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/qu...-crest-change/

Boo political stuff in the nhl thread! Boo, I say!

TMoore4075 06-15-2016 07:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16467955)
Boo political stuff in the nhl thread! Boo, I say!

Yeah don't talk about any stuff out of DC. All crap out of there.

lockman21 06-15-2016 11:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16467248)
Not at all.

I mean, let's just say it was Tuevo for the 2nd, straight up. That alone is a fair trade. Yeah, yeah, I know Tuevo's up and coming, but I wouldn't pay a 1st for him right now.

On top of that you unload Bickell's salary AND get a 3rd thrown in there?

And with the Blackhawks scouting staff, those two picks could pay dividends.

Agreed. I'm really happy with this.

Not to mention expansion draft help. As we stood yesterday, it looked like it was down to TT and TvR as the last person the Hawks would protect, so now they got a 2nd and 3rd for TT instead of losing him for nothing in the expansion draft (as the Hawks almost certainly would rather have TvR at this point) and unloaded Bick's contract? Win in my book.

Bron Yr Aur 06-16-2016 12:00 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Of course lockman and Lcsulla come in here to lap up every thing the Hawks do. Good grief. This is literally the only place on the internet that I have seen praise for the Hawks for this deal.

Talk about underselling Teuvo's value. Hawks have now sent Saad, Dano, and Teuvo packing over the past year....excuse me while I go throw up.

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 12:13 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16468448)
Of course lockman and Lcsulla come in here to lap up every thing the Hawks do. Good grief. This is literally the only place on the internet that I have seen praise for the Hawks for this deal.

Talk about underselling Teuvo's value. Hawks have now sent Saad, Dano, and Teuvo packing over the past year....excuse me while I go throw up.

Well, in fairness we are both Hawks fans and this is NHL news.

Dano was not a good fit.
Wish we could have kept Saad.
See what happens in the next few seasons with TT - maybe he gets better, maybe he ends up a dud. Not placing a wager either way.

It was a smart move despite losing TT, we shed Bickell's contract, snagged some draft picks and opened up some cap space to work with. So yeah, I would have liked to keep TT to see how he pans out but if that was the price we had to pay to dump Bickel's contract I am okay with it.

lockman21 06-16-2016 12:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16468448)
Of course lockman and Lcsulla come in here to lap up every thing the Hawks do. Good grief. This is literally the only place on the internet that I have seen praise for the Hawks for this deal.

Talk about underselling Teuvo's value. Hawks have now sent Saad, Dano, and Teuvo packing over the past year....excuse me while I go throw up.

Dude...just go away. Seriously.

There were times when I genuinely tried to have normal, intelligent conversation with you, but it always just backfired. Hell, not sure if you remember, but there was even a time when I volunteered to go to Johnny's Ice House in my free time to teach you how to skate, puck handle, etc.

It's gotten old. There's no one that engages you in reciprocal discussion because we've all realized it's impossible with you. I honestly don't know why you post in here anymore.

If you want to actually talk hockey, great. But if all you want to do is come in here and act like a child every time I or Jamie post something, then just go take your negativity to one of those "other places on the internet".

Oh, by the way, here is a positive reaction to the trade, because, ya know...it exists:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hawks/comme...cquire/d4aaohj

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 12:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Dano was traded in the Ladd deal which I was fine with, not like he contributed much.
Saad was a free agent poised to get a better contract so the Hawks got what they could for him in that trade. Would have preferred to keep him but Panarin filled in extremely well and we got Anisimov as well as some picks (and oddly enough Dano) in return.

In order to keep Saad they would have to dumped a few other players to stay under the cap because he was due for a larger contract the Hawks could not give him because of the cap.

lockman21 06-16-2016 12:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16468461)
Well, in fairness we are both Hawks fans and this is NHL news.

Dano was not a good fit.
Wish we could have kept Saad.
See what happens in the next few seasons with TT - maybe he gets better, maybe he ends up a dud. Not placing a wager either way.

It was a smart move despite losing TT, we shed Bickell's contract, snagged some draft picks and opened up some cap space to work with. So yeah, I would have liked to keep TT to see how he pans out but if that was the price we had to pay to dump Bickel's contract I am okay with it.

Yep. And again, another big card was the forward thinking to the expansion draft. One of TvR/TT was going to be unprotected and likely to be drafted to the Vegas team, so now TvR is protected and we got something (2nd and 3rd round picks, none-the-less) instead of losing TT to Vegas for nothing.

Also, we got Anisimov for Saad, and a rental of Ladd to take a stab at a Cup run...so it's not like he just vanished for nothing. Look at what having a real 2nd line center did for Kane this year.

I've never been a huge TT fan, I honestly think he's more suited for Europe than he is the NHL (not saying he's not talented enough to be here, just think his game is better for there than here). This is better than I was expecting, honestly.

Bron Yr Aur 06-16-2016 12:29 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16468461)
Well, in fairness we are both Hawks fans and this is NHL news.

Dano was not a good fit.
Wish we could have kept Saad.
See what happens in the next few seasons with TT - maybe he gets better, maybe he ends up a dud. Not placing a wager either way.

It was a smart move despite losing TT, we shed Bickell's contract, snagged some draft picks and opened up some cap space to work with. So yeah, I would have liked to keep TT to see how he pans out but if that was the price we had to pay to dump Bickel's contract I am okay with it.

I actually thought the Saad move wasn't that bad at the time, since they got Ansimov and since Dano looked very promising. In the end they cut Dano loose so soon.

To me, it just seems like Q just does not give the younger players much of a chance. TT was very solid on the 3rd line all year, playing with pretty weak wingers, at the age of 21, and yet he is basically a "throw in" for someone to take Bickell. And now this just means they can overpay Shaw.

I understand why Bowman had to cut his losses with Bickell. At this point, you have to try to win now with Kane & Toews in their prime. But it's a worrying trend for me, seeing them overpay Bickell, then overpay Seabrook, and then trade away Saad, Dano, Danault, TT, with very very little to show for it.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 12:30 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
And c'mon Bron, it was ME that first defended the trade in here.

Credit where credit is due, pal.

Bron Yr Aur 06-16-2016 12:38 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16468470)
Dude...just go away. Seriously.

There were times when I genuinely tried to have normal, intelligent conversation with you, but it always just backfired. Hell, not sure if you remember, but there was even a time when I volunteered to go to Johnny's Ice House in my free time to teach you how to skate, puck handle, etc.

It's gotten old. There's no one that engages you in reciprocal discussion because we've all realized it's impossible with you. I honestly don't know why you post in here anymore.

If you want to actually talk hockey, great. But if all you want to do is come in here and act like a child every time I or Jamie post something, then just go take your negativity to one of those "other places on the internet".

Oh, by the way, here is a positive reaction to the trade, because, ya know...it exists:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hawks/comme...cquire/d4aaohj

Sorry for the personal attack. Obviously it's a little pretentious to bitch and moan about the Hawks after 3 Cups but there is something pretty concerning about some of Bowman's recent moves.

lockman21 06-16-2016 12:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 16468480)
I actually thought the Saad move wasn't that bad at the time, since they got Ansimov and since Dano looked very promising. In the end they cut Dano loose so soon.

To me, it just seems like Q just does not give the younger players much of a chance. TT was very solid on the 3rd line all year, playing with pretty weak wingers, at the age of 21, and yet he is basically a "throw in" for someone to take Bickell. And now this just means they can overpay Shaw.

I understand why Bowman had to cut his losses with Bickell. At this point, you have to try to win now with Kane & Toews in their prime. But it's a worrying trend for me, seeing them overpay Bickell, then overpay Seabrook, and then trade away Saad, Dano, Danault, TT, with very very little to show for it.

Seabrook is hardly overpaid. Too long of a term? Probably, but he's one of the best defenseman in the league, and those things don't just grow on trees. I'd gladly "overpay" Brent Seabrook by $1m than lose him. He's a hell of a lot better of a hockey player than a lot of the internet armchair coaches give him credit for. Hell, look at the guys just below him in terms of cap hit. Mike Green? Johnny Boychuk? Erik Johnson? Ask Matty if he'd trade Erik Johnson for Brent Seabrook straight up. He probably got hard just reading that sentence.

Saad was difficult, but Anisimov and a rental of Ladd back wasn't an awful return. It's just life in the salary cap era. If this were 2001, you could bet Chicago would be like old Detroit and just keep everyone, but it's not. Saad is no one elses fault but his and his agents. They didn't want to sign a bridge deal like Ryan Johansen and wanted to get paid right away as a RFA, and as soon as that decision was made he was as good as gone.

Danault and Dano I can't be upset about either. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. They felt they were a couple pieces short, and I'll never fault them for improving their chances to win a Cup now. I don't think Danault or Dano were long term pieces anyway, so I can't be too upset. If Seabrook's shot bounces a different way instead of hitting both posts I think there's a good chance it's Chicago/Pitt in the SCF. There's a great exit interview with Bowman here if you haven't watched it yet...especially Chris Kuc's hindsight question: https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video...096/c-43754203

Give it time. Opening cap space is a good thing. Let's be real here, Panarin is more of a concern than TT, and if we resigned TT longterm, Panarin would be more difficult. He was the real catalyst here.

Let's see what else Stan has to do.

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 10:22 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16468484)
And c'mon Bron, it was ME that first defended the trade in here.

Credit where credit is due, pal.

Matty knows all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16468500)
Seabrook is hardly overpaid. Too long of a term? Probably, but he's one of the best defenseman in the league, and those things don't just grow on trees. I'd gladly "overpay" Brent Seabrook by $1m than lose him. He's a hell of a lot better of a hockey player than a lot of the internet armchair coaches give him credit for. Hell, look at the guys just below him in terms of cap hit. Mike Green? Johnny Boychuk? Erik Johnson? Ask Matty if he'd trade Erik Johnson for Brent Seabrook straight up. He probably got hard just reading that sentence.

Saad was difficult, but Anisimov and a rental of Ladd back wasn't an awful return. It's just life in the salary cap era. If this were 2001, you could bet Chicago would be like old Detroit and just keep everyone, but it's not. Saad is no one elses fault but his and his agents. They didn't want to sign a bridge deal like Ryan Johansen and wanted to get paid right away as a RFA, and as soon as that decision was made he was as good as gone.

Danault and Dano I can't be upset about either. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. They felt they were a couple pieces short, and I'll never fault them for improving their chances to win a Cup now. I don't think Danault or Dano were long term pieces anyway, so I can't be too upset. If Seabrook's shot bounces a different way instead of hitting both posts I think there's a good chance it's Chicago/Pitt in the SCF. There's a great exit interview with Bowman here if you haven't watched it yet...especially Chris Kuc's hindsight question: https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video...096/c-43754203

Give it time. Opening cap space is a good thing. Let's be real here, Panarin is more of a concern than TT, and if we resigned TT longterm, Panarin would be more difficult. He was the real catalyst here.

Let's see what else Stan has to do.

It it was 2001, Chicago would be selling off all it's assets.

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 10:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16468500)
Seabrook is hardly overpaid. Too long of a term? Probably, but he's one of the best defenseman in the league, and those things don't just grow on trees. I'd gladly "overpay" Brent Seabrook by $1m than lose him. He's a hell of a lot better of a hockey player than a lot of the internet armchair coaches give him credit for. Hell, look at the guys just below him in terms of cap hit. Mike Green? Johnny Boychuk? Erik Johnson? Ask Matty if he'd trade Erik Johnson for Brent Seabrook straight up. He probably got hard just reading that sentence.

Saad was difficult, but Anisimov and a rental of Ladd back wasn't an awful return. It's just life in the salary cap era. If this were 2001, you could bet Chicago would be like old Detroit and just keep everyone, but it's not. Saad is no one elses fault but his and his agents. They didn't want to sign a bridge deal like Ryan Johansen and wanted to get paid right away as a RFA, and as soon as that decision was made he was as good as gone.

Danault and Dano I can't be upset about either. The goal is to win Stanley Cups. They felt they were a couple pieces short, and I'll never fault them for improving their chances to win a Cup now. I don't think Danault or Dano were long term pieces anyway, so I can't be too upset. If Seabrook's shot bounces a different way instead of hitting both posts I think there's a good chance it's Chicago/Pitt in the SCF. There's a great exit interview with Bowman here if you haven't watched it yet...especially Chris Kuc's hindsight question: https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video...096/c-43754203

Give it time. Opening cap space is a good thing. Let's be real here, Panarin is more of a concern than TT, and if we resigned TT longterm, Panarin would be more difficult. He was the real catalyst here.

Let's see what else Stan has to do.

Agreed on Seabrook. Agreed on Panarin being a more valuable chip than TT.

Saad leaving was entirely his own choice, he went for the money and will be playing some years on a mediocre Columbus team.

Dano never fit with the Hawks style, nor did Daley so why not move them to somewhere more suitable to their style? Course Scuderi was a bust but I don't think anyone expected much out of him, as the Kings found out when he got back there.

No idea how you criticize Bowman for this, not like the guy habitually screws up evaluating talent and making moves to better the team. In the 7 years he has been GM the Hawks have won 3 cups, lost twice in the conference finals, won a Presidents Trophy and a central division title - not to mention individual awards like the Norris, the Calder and the Art Ross. The only guys I wish they had kept are Sharpe and Oduya but as you said we are living in the cap era. Yeah, he has made a handful of bad moves but it is tough to fault him, frankly he has been right more than he has been wrong by a huge margin and the results have largely benefited Chicago so I have no big issue with this trade that gives them extra cap room.

Best guess for what Bowman is going to do next is resign Shaw for his netfront presence, probably try and retain Ladd and likely look to the KHL for young guys that he can get on the cheap and can hopefully slot right in just like Panarin.

~Crashintome89~ 06-16-2016 10:56 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I have never understood the hate on Brent Seabrook. The guy is a stud. Three Cup winner.

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 11:10 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16468732)
I have never understood the hate on Brent Seabrook. The guy is a stud. Three Cup winner.

Don't get it myself and I doubt there is any team who would not want a guy like him helping anchor their #2 D line. He is a shutdown defender who pitches in offensively quite a bit and his shots from the blue line cause a lot of rebounds and he averages 8 goals a season, 28 assists per season and 38 points per season all while playing solid D. What is not to appreciate?

bradshaw06 06-16-2016 11:19 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Clean out day for the pens. Get to hear all the injuries.

Dramageek 06-16-2016 11:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16468816)
Clean out day for the pens. Get to hear all the injuries.

Always fun.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 11:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
the worst move the Hawks have made recently was giving up Daley for Scuderi

and i get the whole "Daley wasn't seeing the ice." "Daley wasn't a good fit" etc etc but man, you gotta get more in return than Scuds and his contract :lol bad trade for the Hawks

fonzz41 06-16-2016 11:26 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16468732)
I have never understood the hate on Brent Seabrook. The guy is a stud. Three Cup winner.

His all-around game has grown leaps and bounds, particularly in the last 2-3 seasons. Maybe the Blackhawks have such a spoil of riches on the blueline that it's hard to notice his talent, but he could be a #1 defenseman on just about any other team in the league. He's got the shot, size, skating ability, instincts... just about everything you could want. Maybe one of the top 10 d-men in the league. Easily Top 250. I would give up mucho to see him in an Avs sweater.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.