Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 06:30 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Anyway see the Robidas leg incident? I'm asking for how nasty is it? Do I want to watch it, or will I cringe like nothing else?

fonzz41 04-22-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15273678)
also, i'm never complimenting a player again :lol

after praising matt cooke yesterday he goes all ovechkin on me with a knee-on-knee

damn

I'm right there with you, buddy. Not a week ago, I was lauding his "maturity" and ability to "change" while still being an effective player. And the crazy thing is, he WAS doing all those things. Last night, he was incredibly effective in helping shut down the MacKinnon line. Too bad for him that he just took a major step backwards after appearing to make so much progress... but I have a hard time feeling bad for him.

hailtopitt 04-22-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15273874)
I'm right there with you, buddy. Not a week ago, I was lauding his "maturity" and ability to "change" while still being an effective player. And the crazy thing is, he WAS doing all those things. Last night, he was incredibly effective in helping shut down the MacKinnon line. Too bad for him that he just took a major step backwards after appearing to make so much progress... but I have a hard time feeling bad for him.

yea i can't feel bad for the guy anymore, it's just such a shame after 3 whole years of clean play he throws it all away basically

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15273874)

So no date night for Matty and Matt anytime soon huh?

fonzz41 04-22-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15273924)
yea i can't feel bad for the guy anymore, it's just such a shame after 3 whole years of clean play he throws it all away basically

Exactly. Starting back at sqaure one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15273957)
So no date night for Matty and Matt anytime soon huh?

Why do I always go for the bad boys? :lorraine

fonzz41 04-22-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15273701)
Anyway see the Robidas leg incident? I'm asking for how nasty is it? Do I want to watch it, or will I cringe like nothing else?

It's not something you'll want to watch over and over again, but it's not terrible (to watch).

Couldn't happen to a better guy though. Robidas is such a warrior... the exact type of player I want my kids to watch and emulate. You have to worry about his career at this point. It's too bad and I hope he can pull through.

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 08:43 AM

No Alfie tonight...crap. He hasn't done much but is always dangerous out there. Would rather have him than not.

fonzz41 04-22-2014 09:02 AM

O'Reilly on his way to his first Byng :lol

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

barbogast 04-22-2014 09:13 AM

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...of-my-respect/

Jackets fans for the win

hailtopitt 04-22-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15274237)

that's pretty clever

i'll be sure to throw a beak on the next Union soldier i see

Bron Yr Aur 04-22-2014 09:51 AM

Matt Cooke hit isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yeah it's a dangerous play but he is clearly leading with the shoulder when Barrie avoids the upper body contact and the knees end up colliding. Dangerous play for sure as he is leading with the left leg like that but....if this wasn't Cooke I don't think it would even be discussed as a suspension.

Bron Yr Aur 04-22-2014 09:55 AM

That said...it's Matt Cooke. SO yeah. Don't know why teams continue to employ him.

hailtopitt 04-22-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15274401)
Matt Cooke hit isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yeah it's a dangerous play but he is clearly leading with the shoulder when Barrie avoids the upper body contact and the knees end up colliding. Dangerous play for sure as he is leading with the left leg like that but....if this wasn't Cooke I don't think it would even be discussed as a suspension.

i don't think the bolded is true at all

fonzz41 04-22-2014 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

No. Sorry for the image quality, but this is not leading with his shoulder. The knee doesn't even come out until it becomes apparent Barrie is going to make a move around him. Cooke is trying to get any part of his body in the way, and that's where he goes wrong.

When you're going for an open ice hit like that and it becomes apparent the guy is going to get around you, you can do one of two things:
1) Go for the hip check. Hard to change body positioning that quickly, but it's certainly safer.
2) Change tactics completely and go for the puck instead of the body.

Matt Cooke knows as well as anybody that you CANNOT stick your knee out like that. YOU CANNOT.

I agree that it's getting more buzz because, like you said, it's Matt Cooke. He knows better.

Video I took the image from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qmQHevtAJA

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 10:11 AM

Yeah that's dangerous and stupid no matter who does it. I'm sure it's getting more press cause of who it is but he should because he's continued to do this stuff. This isn't my three year old doing something after being punished for it, it's an adult.

Bron Yr Aur 04-22-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15274459)
No. Sorry for the image quality, but this is not leading with his shoulder. The knee doesn't even come out until it becomes apparent Barrie is going to make a move around him. Cooke is trying to get any part of his body in the way, and that's where he goes wrong.

When you're going for an open ice hit like that and it becomes apparent the guy is going to get around you, you can do one of two things:
1) Go for the hip check. Hard to change body positioning that quickly, but it's certainly safer.
2) Change tactics completely and go for the puck instead of the body.

Matt Cooke knows as well as anybody that you CANNOT stick your knee out like that. YOU CANNOT.

I agree that it's getting more buzz because, like you said, it's Matt Cooke. He knows better.

Video I took the image from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qmQHevtAJA

The TSN guy says it all...he is trying to make a shoulder to shoulder but for some reason he is leading with the knee. Guess it's just Matt Cooke habit, or he really is trying to injure the guy. Whatever, I still don't understand why this guy continues to get a job in the NHL.

aeroshady 04-22-2014 10:21 AM

So Hank is taking a beating here in NY Sports talk over game two. Can't wait to see how things go in game 3.

Btw I back read this thread....while it makes me laugh that I pissed off all the Flyers fan with my comment about "real playoff hockey," I was actually being literal in that the Ducks game has been the only playoff game I have been able to watch any significant amount of because of my schedule haha. Hope to watch game 3 tonight, but it is not looking good. Game 4 will probably be the first game I get to watch the majority of.

fonzz41 04-22-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15274474)
Yeah that's dangerous and stupid no matter who does it. I'm sure it's getting more press cause of who it is but he should because he's continued to do this stuff. This isn't my three year old doing something after being punished for it, it's an adult.

Yeah, any hockey player who's played for any amount of time knows this is a no-no.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15274486)
The TSN guy says it all...he is trying to make a shoulder to shoulder but for some reason he is leading with the knee. Guess it's just Matt Cooke habit, or he really is trying to injure the guy. Whatever, I still don't understand why this guy continues to get a job in the NHL.

Could be Matt Cooke habit like you said.

The sad thing is he's an effective player when he focuses on actually playing hockey. He was arguably the Wild's best last night, all over the ice, making clean hits and playing well defensively. The Wild made an adjustment trying him out against MacKinnon, and look how many points Mac got compared to the previous two games. In short, Matt Cooke is a good player... I don't know what causes him to do these incredibly dumb plays.

But yeah, Marty, you have to wonder how much longer teams will take a chance on him.

JRS1386 04-22-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

I don't know about you but when I skate (the few times I do) I don't do it with my knee turned out like Cooke did there. Easily a dirty play and sure it's being made more a deal because of who it is, but that's his own fault. You have a history of being dirty it won't go away after a few years of not being a bonehead

Bron Yr Aur 04-22-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15274514)
Yeah, any hockey player who's played for any amount of time knows this is a no-no.

Could be Matt Cooke habit like you said.

The sad thing is he's an effective player when he focuses on actually playing hockey. He was arguably the Wild's best last night, all over the ice, making clean hits and playing well defensively. The Wild made an adjustment trying him out against MacKinnon, and look how many points Mac got compared to the previous two games. In short, Matt Cooke is a good player... I don't know what causes him to do these incredibly dumb plays.

But yeah, Marty, you have to wonder how much longer teams will take a chance on him.

Yeah I mean he also threw an elbow at MacKinnon last night, too, so.....

...fact is, you don't need this kind of player in the NHL. Just unnecessary, should be banned from the league. He's not so effective that the league wouldn't be better off without him.

JRS1386 04-22-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15274513)
So Hank is taking a beating here in NY Sports talk over game two. Can't wait to see how things go in game 3.

Btw I back read this thread....while it makes me laugh that I pissed off all the Flyers fan with my comment about "real playoff hockey," I was actually being literal in that the Ducks game has been the only playoff game I have been able to watch any significant amount of because of my schedule haha. Hope to watch game 3 tonight, but it is not looking good. Game 4 will probably be the first game I get to watch the majority of.

Hank and the Rangers have been playing great so far, your sports radio is dumb. Also, the shot was perfect, intentional or not. As the reigning Sean Avery recipient I approve

unccrombie 04-22-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15274543)
Hank and the Rangers have been playing great so far, your sports radio is dumb. Also, the shot was perfect, intentional or not. As the reigning Sean Avery recipient I approve

rangers played awful hockey for 1.5/6 periods and it cost them a game. I, for one, am not worried.

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 12:19 PM

Cooke gets an in-person hearing. So it could be 5 or more...it's gonna be a long suspension I think.

~Crashintome89~ 04-22-2014 12:38 PM

I don't think the Rangers have been bad at all. This is going at series. Should be intersting how Berube handles the lineups with last change. It's pretty clear he wants Giroux away from Girardi and McDonut.

JRS1386 04-22-2014 12:59 PM

I think the last change should help them get going early. I just hope Hartnell will stop blocking Girouxs shots

Brohan_Santana 04-22-2014 01:15 PM

Since the Caps aren't in the playoffs re-watching old playoffs series highlights. The 2009 Caps/Pens Semi series was so good. Forgot how Varly was standing on his head most of the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qun0jtArMa8

lockman21 04-22-2014 01:24 PM

Well, guess I might as well go tomorrow too. UC was incredible last night.

lockman21 04-22-2014 01:41 PM

http://deadspin.com/we-are-all-cryin...kid-1566107742 #jackets

JRS1386 04-22-2014 03:54 PM

Holy crap it's Becs

TMoore4075 04-22-2014 03:59 PM

Poor kid. I wanted to cry when the Wings lost to the Ava in 96. As I've gotten older I yell and get pissed instead.