Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   R.I.P. Leroi Moore. (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229381)

garagebrothers 03-23-2019 05:15 PM

Re: R.I.P. Leroi Moore.

As I mentioned somewhere else; Jeff is great and plays the music, but Roi was PART of the music. Such a different, different band without him. We lost the true DMB on that same day unfortunately.

Dave&Tim41 03-23-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagebrothers (Post 17406094)
As I mentioned somewhere else; Jeff is great and plays the music, but Roi was PART of the music. Such a different, different band without him. We lost the true DMB on that same day unfortunately.

This is a really great way to put it.

bowa36 03-24-2019 10:45 AM

the 'Why Don't We' Memphis '94 sound-check and the Typical Situation from Flat Five studio... I just love the way Roi plays. :leroi

Route_2 03-28-2019 08:56 PM

Let Roi whisper some sweet nothings in your ear tonight: https://youtu.be/YKf_BqKfSMk?t=2598

wvufan2010 06-28-2019 12:04 PM

Last show with the band 11 years ago today. Miss his sound so much.

comeandsee41 06-28-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvufan2010 (Post 17483558)
Last show with the band 11 years ago today. Miss his sound so much.

band hasnt been the same without him. what should we listen to today, guys?

Route_2 06-28-2019 01:44 PM

With Sugar Will's return I'm grooving on this recently: https://youtu.be/ztX8xDF7GrI?t=1722

So jazzy.

TypicalBilly14 06-28-2019 05:19 PM

was lucky to see Roi in Mansfield days earlier. Would have never guessed it would be the last time I'd see him alive.

His last show is here:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-...-53d6f375.html

Thinking of you, Mr. Leroi Moore!:leroi

moonshynn 08-03-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Let Roi whisper some sweet nothings in your ear tonight: <a href="https://youtu.be/YKf_BqKfSMk?t=2598" target="_blank">https://youtu.be/YKf_BqKfSMk?t=2598</a>
That was magic! Thanx for sharing...

Whiteyxc514 08-19-2019 06:14 AM

11 years ago. Crazy. I’ll still never understand how the band mustered up the strength to play that staples center show.

grilldanmo 08-19-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 (Post 17524361)
11 years ago. Crazy. I’ll still never understand how the band mustered up the strength to play that staples center show.

It's amazing that they even kept going. While I've very glad they did, I think we all would have understood if Roi's passing marked the end of DMB.

djamieb 08-19-2019 08:18 AM

Rest in peace, Roi! We appreciate all you left us with!

Can't believe it's been 11 years. I vividly remember being in Staples Center on this night in 2008 and watching the band heal themselves with the music. Unreal experience.

haefs11 08-19-2019 12:02 PM

Is there a comprehensive list/thread with all of Leroi's best released solos?

paulg83 08-19-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djamieb (Post 17524483)
Rest in peace, Roi! We appreciate all you left us with!

Can't believe it's been 11 years. I vividly remember being in Staples Center on this night in 2008 and watching the band heal themselves with the music. Unreal experience.

Was there as well and was just reflecting on it. What a night. I definitely feel closer to the band for having been there for those two shows in L.A.

Forever missed. :leroi

Route_2 08-29-2019 12:56 PM

Here's a lovely clip of Roi creating beautiful sounds at the Gorge in 2002 to send everyone into the long weekend.

https://youtu.be/cd4ye5O4RO8?t=6766

crawfish 02-07-2020 04:26 PM

I'm not a hardcore fan anymore. Time moves on and things change in life, but I go back every once in a while to the old DMB videos and I did that today. The way this man played the sax was really what got me hooked when I went to see them for the first time in 93 at the old Georgetown Bayou. I must have replayed 9/14/2003 Spoon 10 times today.. just to hear LeRoi.

miniaturegough 02-10-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawfish (Post 17630058)
I'm not a hardcore fan anymore. Time moves on and things change in life, but I go back every once in a while to the old DMB videos and I did that today. The way this man played the sax was really what got me hooked when I went to see them for the first time in 93 at the old Georgetown Bayou. I must have replayed 9/14/2003 Spoon 10 times today.. just to hear LeRoi.

Hell yeah.

Sister 02-19-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

I could have written your first two sentences. I have barely managed a show a year for a while now. For many years I had woven DMB into every aspect of my life...followed every set in real time (when that became possible), posted on every website (and wrote for one too), really lived and breathed it all every day.

For whatever reason, I have felt drawn back the past few weeks; re-listening to shows, re-reading the (sometimes stupid) things I wrote, thinking about all the people I met, decisions I made (and didn't make) during those days. It almost feels like a different life.

One constant though, even being 'away' for a while, is how much I miss his sound. I am so damn grateful he left us so much beautiful music to enjoy.

Aircanuck 02-22-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haefs11 (Post 17524777)
Is there a comprehensive list/thread with all of Leroi's best released solos?

Someone put together a pretty solid spotify playlist if you search Leroi Moore.

OneSweetMonkey 02-26-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aircanuck (Post 17642127)
Someone put together a pretty solid spotify playlist if you search Leroi Moore.

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

thankyou 04-17-2020 10:28 PM

miss you man!!! rip.. you were very talented musician

rain delay 05-07-2020 01:56 PM

Roi had the best sense of melody out of anyone in the band. His playing on LS Captain gives me chills.

grilldanmo 06-22-2020 10:40 AM

So Dave played Mercy w/ Branford Marsalis for the United We Sing show yesterday. I've said this/pointed it out before, but Branford was a clear influence on Roi and they also approach improvising/writing parts for pop/rock similarly. While it was distinctly Branford playing, the lines and inflections he played could have easily come from Roi.

mthawk07 08-19-2020 03:43 AM

Got in my car to go to work this morning, hit shuffle on my phone, and #34 was the first song that came up. Some Twilight Zone type stuff right there. Miss you, Roi, looking forward to the show tonight. :leroi

dontdrink36 08-19-2020 06:35 AM

I listened to 41 from LS and Bartender from Folsom this morning. Rest easy, Grux! Truly one of a kind.

Cobo 08-19-2020 08:55 AM

We miss him dearly. One thing I've realized the last couple of years more than ever is that DMB died on this day 12 years ago. Of course Dave is Dave and usually has a way to make things fun but the band is a shell of it's former self and the sound/direction completely changed when LeRoi so tragically left us.

tyler3440 08-19-2020 09:33 AM

I remember exactly how I got the news. I was at home about to start my 6th grade homework, and the tv was on the news (likely CNN). Anyway I think they came back from a commercial break and the news broke. It was pretty shocking to say the least. Thought the band may have been done at the time.

Thirtyfouroi 08-19-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

I feel Roi was the most responsible person with regards to the sound of the band. I think they sounded like they did in large part because of him. And you can just listen to albums pre and post. Then, the argument could be made "Thats just because Tim is part of the band, and you have a guitar now." Well, Tim played on quite a few albums (although I understand the difference in guesting on album and being part of band). But Tim was also part of the band in May and June of 2008. June was Arguably the greatest one month run in the bands history. Leroi knew how to create riffs within a song that you didn't hear unless you really listened very closely. I am still discovering masterpieces of Roi's work on studio albums, things I didn't hear before. It wasn't until about 8-10 years ago that I first actually heard Roi's riffs on Crush. It's absolutely beautiful.

So at the same time that he just sunk into the music and wasn't heard by the passerby listener, he made the song what it was. He made songs bigger, much Jazzier, and much more authentic to DMB. This is what separates Roi from most other sax players. He doesn't care about being heard. He cares about the song. He doesn't care about taking care of himself. He only cares about taking care of the music and making sure a song sounds as good as it possibly can. If you notice on the recent albums, the sax riffs more or less just go straight along with the melody or straight along with dave's already made up vocal melody. Roi was able to create his own melodies, he added his riffs on like layers of a cake. And of course, we all like more layers on a cake. Same with a song. The more layers, the better.

Sister 08-19-2020 05:47 PM

I miss you LeRoi. Your light still shines on here.

Cobo 08-20-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi (Post 17771724)
I feel Roi was the most responsible person with regards to the sound of the band. I think they sounded like they did in large part because of him. And you can just listen to albums pre and post. Then, the argument could be made "Thats just because Tim is part of the band, and you have a guitar now." Well, Tim played on quite a few albums (although I understand the difference in guesting on album and being part of band). But Tim was also part of the band in May and June of 2008. June was Arguably the greatest one month run in the bands history. Leroi knew how to create riffs within a song that you didn't hear unless you really listened very closely. I am still discovering masterpieces of Roi's work on studio albums, things I didn't hear before. It wasn't until about 8-10 years ago that I first actually heard Roi's riffs on Crush. It's absolutely beautiful.

So at the same time that he just sunk into the music and wasn't heard by the passerby listener, he made the song what it was. He made songs bigger, much Jazzier, and much more authentic to DMB. This is what separates Roi from most other sax players. He doesn't care about being heard. He cares about the song. He doesn't care about taking care of himself. He only cares about taking care of the music and making sure a song sounds as good as it possibly can. If you notice on the recent albums, the sax riffs more or less just go straight along with the melody or straight along with dave's already made up vocal melody. Roi was able to create his own melodies, he added his riffs on like layers of a cake. And of course, we all like more layers on a cake. Same with a song. The more layers, the better.

Incredibly well said. Thank you for this. Missing LeRoi more than ever. :leroi