Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

Cryfreedom09 04-09-2015 02:49 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Rhyme and Reason from 4-26-94 (Town Pointe Park DMBLive) is simply amazing. If you haven't listened to this in a while or have never listened, go check it out. Boyd is nuts on this version.

The2SteppingPig 04-09-2015 02:51 PM

I like the outro jam on So Damn Luck, it is awesome and I hope we get it in Colorado this year during the electric. "It's amazing what a minute can do."

You just think the song is going to end, and then it keeps climbing into a whole other universe.

spoot388 04-09-2015 03:37 PM

if SDL stopped at 8-9 minutes i wouldnt mind it. the problem comes when they feel the need to go into something else like Thank You and have that go on for another 7 minutes. at the 12.22.12 show, rashawn briefly interpolated Thank You when the song started coming back down at the end. it was enough that the crowd was able to pick up on it and started singing. after a minute or two of singing, rashawn realized the mistake he made and made a gesture over towards carter and dave like he put a gun under his chin as if he as saying to them "im sorry, just kill me now." so it seems like even the band didn't like the super extended outro to it anymore. and theres more evidence to that by SDL only getting 6 plays in 2013, less than half of what it had been getting the few years prior to that. and then last year, while it got 15 plays, they were all in the acoustic set and averaged 8-9 minutes.

socopithy 04-09-2015 03:45 PM

:lol spoot that's good. Never heard that story.

Agreed. Too long.

It's funny how they'll feed into shit like that, but not demands for better setlists, etc.

DDTW4136 04-09-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 15903677)
if SDL stopped at 8-9 minutes i wouldnt mind it. the problem comes when they feel the need to go into something else like Thank You and have that go on for another 7 minutes. at the 12.22.12 show, rashawn briefly interpolated Thank You when the song started coming back down at the end. it was enough that the crowd was able to pick up on it and started singing. after a minute or two of singing, rashawn realized the mistake he made and made a gesture over towards carter and dave like he put a gun under his chin as if he as saying to them "im sorry, just kill me now." so it seems like even the band didn't like the super extended outro to it anymore. and theres more evidence to that by SDL only getting 6 plays in 2013, less than half of what it had been getting the few years prior to that. and then last year, while it got 15 plays, they were all in the acoustic set and averaged 8-9 minutes.

is there a video of rashawn doing that?

Dannyyankou 04-09-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 15903677)

I'm not getting that sense from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDnk3ePqVY

And Rashawn didn't interpolate Thank You. But the bitch recording is very annoying.

Cryfreedom09 04-09-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The2SteppingPig (Post 15903636)
I like the outro jam on So Damn Luck, it is awesome and I hope we get it in Colorado this year during the electric. "It's amazing what a minute can do."

You just think the song is going to end, and then it keeps climbing into a whole other universe.

I agree with this. Love the live Trax 22 version.

spoot388 04-09-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socopithy (Post 15903693)
:lol spoot that's good. Never heard that story.

Agreed. Too long.

It's funny how they'll feed into shit like that, but not demands for better setlists, etc.

slightly mis-remembered that. it wasn't 12.22.12, it was 6.27.12. if you listen to the tape, he plays it right around the 10 minute mark twice in a row and that prompts the crowd to begin singing for the next 3 and a half minutes.

iirc, he held his trumpet under his chin like a shotgun and then kicked his head back as if he blew it off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDTW4136 (Post 15903722)
is there a video of rashawn doing that?

not that im aware of. i tried looking on youtube but i couldnt find anything.

moccasin 04-09-2015 05:23 PM

I always get a kick out of people who list something DMB related on ebay that has Matthews on it, but still spell Matthews with only one "t" :ugh

tyler3440 04-09-2015 09:24 PM

I think help my self would be a good opener. Wonder whey they haven't tried that since sometime around 1992 or 1993?

YankeesDMB41 04-09-2015 11:19 PM

Dave looks good for 48

bartender_man 04-09-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 15904046)
I think help my self would be a good opener. Wonder whey they haven't tried that since sometime around 1992 or 1993?

Would be a fun surprise

ajc_1988 04-10-2015 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 15904084)
Dave looks good for 48

DUh he'z a SeXY motherfucker!!111111111111111

LoVE

TwoStep2888 04-11-2015 05:10 PM

listening to the Gorge 02 box set, one of my favorite releases, scratchy vocals and all.

bowa36 04-11-2015 06:35 PM

I recently put the Little Red Bird bonus disc songs into a playlist with the rest of Big Whiskey and rearranged the album...left out #27 because I don't think the studio version really fits anywhere. Listening through it, flows nicely I think

01 Grux
02 Shake Me Like a Monkey
03 Funny the Way It Is
04 Lying in the Hands of God
05 Write a Song
06 Why I Am
07 Dive In
08 Beach Ball
09 Spaceman
10 Corn Bread
11 Baby Blue
12 Squirm
13 Alligator Pie
14 Seven
15 Time Bomb
16 Little Red Bird
17 You & Me

moccasin 04-12-2015 09:49 AM

^^^ Shouldn't Shake Me be last to add a little realism?

JR41 04-12-2015 10:41 AM

Really enjoyed the outro to Big Eyed Fish with the sax and violin with Boyd on Lilly White Sessions, wish they would do that live

spoot388 04-12-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moccasin (Post 15906290)
^^^ Shouldn't Shake Me be last to add a little realism?

if this was a couple years ago i'd say have shake me open and then add shake me at the end too because it seemed inevitable that at some point it would get played twice.

rdp520 04-12-2015 03:23 PM

In 2004 I was at both Camden shows, N2 they opened with Fool to Think. Very random, but I thought it was awesome. I like that tune also. It grew on me over the years.

bowa36 04-12-2015 04:26 PM

This is pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/yNkRNhy6pmI

Dannyyankou 04-13-2015 08:12 AM

Stefan is brilliant during the Last Stop reprise on Live In Chicago.

space_raven 04-13-2015 02:35 PM

Although I am a fan of the song, and Everyday as a whole, When The World Ends, IMO, is the most linear and sterile studio song they've put out thus far.

stlbluespower 04-13-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space_raven (Post 15907692)
Although I am a fan of the song, and Everyday as a whole, When The World Ends, IMO, is the most linear and sterile studio song they've put out thus far.

IMO, Stolen Away takes that prize. I've always enjoyed WTWE, especially the last part, which definitely is non-linear to my ears.

edit: though I haven't listened to studio of either for quite awhile, and was mostly going off live versions. Is there a big difference in how they are performed studio vs live?

space_raven 04-13-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 15907903)
IMO, Stolen Away takes that prize. I've always enjoyed WTWE, especially the last part, which definitely is non-linear to my ears.

edit: though I haven't listened to studio of either for quite awhile, and was mostly going off live versions. Is there a big difference in how they are performed studio vs live?

For me, Stolen Away is interesting because of LeRoi and Daves guitar work. It's a very moving piece. It has a vibe to it. I, too, like When The World Ends, the studio version just isn't exciting to me.

crashintonickdm 04-13-2015 08:13 PM

we have to cherish dave's hair color. all out gray is gonna come like a randy johnson fastball

RiotAct 04-14-2015 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 15908036)
we have to cherish dave's hair color. all out gray is gonna come like a randy johnson fastball

LOL.

I've been admiring the gradual receding of his hairline since the early 2000s... and recently it's become frightening since I know that'll be me soon.

dpresti 04-14-2015 05:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUkKX4wrHUA

Here's my first bass guitar cover on YouTube. Enjoy.

Panther41 04-14-2015 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 15905983)
I recently put the Little Red Bird bonus disc songs into a playlist with the rest of Big Whiskey and rearranged the album...left out #27 because I don't think the studio version really fits anywhere. Listening through it, flows nicely I think

01 Grux
02 Shake Me Like a Monkey
03 Funny the Way It Is
04 Lying in the Hands of God
05 Write a Song
06 Why I Am
07 Dive In
08 Beach Ball
09 Spaceman
10 Corn Bread
11 Baby Blue
12 Squirm
13 Alligator Pie
14 Seven
15 Time Bomb
16 Little Red Bird
17 You & Me

I dig this. Might have to go home and recreate that playlist for myself. As for #27, if this were an actual disc I could see it being the hidden track at the very end... track 27, perhaps. ;)

tyler3440 04-15-2015 03:43 PM

I sing really bad when I listen to dmb in the car. Especially when something like rapunzel comes on. I probably look like I have lost my mind when people see me singing loudly in my car.

tyler3440 04-15-2015 09:30 PM

My 34 cover http://youtu.be/0ymMPlJrp_A