Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

DMB1JW 02-06-2020 05:45 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean52692 (Post 17629414)
I don't believe the Jimi w/ BT smoking pot was actually released.

I absolutely had an extended version with the long outro. The pause after the final chorus seemed to be BT lighting up. At the time of the UTTAD Expanded release I know that version was discussed somewhere on these forums...and I had it downloaded...now it's gone and off iTunes.

Madnana 02-07-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMB1JW (Post 17629460)
I absolutely had an extended version with the long outro. The pause after the final chorus seemed to be BT lighting up. At the time of the UTTAD Expanded release I know that version was discussed somewhere on these forums...and I had it downloaded...now it's gone and off iTunes.

I've heard this version too, but I never got the impression it was BT smoking pot?

dontdrink36 02-07-2020 10:49 AM

This version of Typical Situation is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1xF__X1lu8

DMB1JW 02-07-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madnana (Post 17629730)
I've heard this version too, but I never got the impression it was BT smoking pot?

I read it on this article:
https://relix.com/articles/detail/un...ortant_record/

"RCA hired Tom Lord-Alge to tweak Lillywhite’s levels, cutting out things like the sound of Boyd Tinsley inhaling a joint on “Jimi Thing."

I just wonder why the alternate version of Jimi was pulled from iTunes? I enjoyed having it. Also wish I could get a studio download of the WWYS with Leroi's full solo (from the music video).

kmb40oz 02-07-2020 11:48 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nLy4YQZNQ

The real deal of printing the final mix of "Shake Me like a Monkey"
during the mixing of Dave Matthews Band "Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King"by Chris Lord-Alge
Category

TheLastStop123 02-07-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 17629896)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nLy4YQZNQ

The real deal of printing the final mix of "Shake Me like a Monkey"
during the mixing of Dave Matthews Band "Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King"by Chris Lord-Alge
Category

such a shame they can't play this well live. the transition from grux to the opening of this still gives me chills.

bigeyedpigs 02-07-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller9 (Post 17629434)
Dave and Trey literally just did a benefit show together within the last couple years did they not? I believe it was right before Mexico because Dave played Waste. Maybe the two had nothing to do with each other but I know they did a benefit together

They were both there it was for Capshaw. It seems that was more of an obligation to be there than anything else.

zrroot 02-07-2020 06:22 PM

I understand the logistics and costs of touring with an opening band, but I really wish they’d bring another band along. Gain exposure for an up and coming act and add more music to help justify the price of a ticket while possibly adding more people in the venue

seanbrutus 02-07-2020 06:34 PM

Two things: never heard the extended Jimi, can anyone point me in the right direction to hear it? And secondly, is Stefan the only person of the OG 5 whose voice doesn’t appear on an album? Boyd with I Did It, LeRoi with the outro of Rapunzel, and Carter with Drunken Soldier (and various background vocals. Is Stefan anywhere? Potentially the recorded ping pong session during the jam of LIOG, but I can’t think of anywhere else.

badgernation41 02-07-2020 08:54 PM

I would love to see Shot Gun come back into the mix this summer. :: Keeping my fingers crossed::

Miller9 02-07-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgernation41 (Post 17630199)
I would love to see Shot Gun come back into the mix this summer. :: Keeping my fingers crossed::

There are a few songs I’d like to see return, shotgun included. They’ve done a decent job of sprinkling in songs (joyride, if I had it All), but they need to bring some of these songs back in a consistent rotation. Like having different staples (dreaming tree instead of crush for example some nights). I’ve honestly just come to the realization last few tours, that they’re just playing “fan favs” now sprinkled with new songs and a FEW deep tracks. It’s gotten old honestly and wish they would change it up. Hopefully 2020 will be good. It will be the lowest number of shows I’ve done since 2009

KevinTH 02-08-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 17630114)
Two things: never heard the extended Jimi, can anyone point me in the right direction to hear it? And secondly, is Stefan the only person of the OG 5 whose voice doesn’t appear on an album? Boyd with I Did It, LeRoi with the outro of Rapunzel, and Carter with Drunken Soldier (and various background vocals. Is Stefan anywhere? Potentially the recorded ping pong session during the jam of LIOG, but I can’t think of anywhere else.

The end of a Halloween. You can hear him saying something that ends with “fucker!” during the break down at the end. Around 4:30.

Bmwm3oz 02-08-2020 08:01 AM

Just a personal random comment..The 'tight' sound in 2018/2019 is just too good. I go back and listen to old stuff every so often and can't help but notice how much better the band sounds these days.

Putting setlists, energy, and the lack of improv aside, I would take the current sound over old sound any day. 2000 - 2004 are still my personal favorite years because of the energy and how they explored/improv'd more, but the sound today is just so much better.

YankeesDMB41 02-08-2020 08:14 AM

Dave's voice and Carter's regression due to age make it impossible to say the sound today is so much better. Go listen to a 1998 show and tell me that last year they sounded better. The things Carter and Dave at their peaks were doing at that time could not be matched today.

Bmwm3oz 02-08-2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17630298)
Dave's voice and Carter's regression due to age make it impossible to say the sound today is so much better. Go listen to a 1998 show and tell me that last year they sounded better. The things Carter and Dave at their peaks were doing at that time could not be matched today.

I mean, with this (underlined) opinion, we don't have much to discuss.

In 2018+, the band is at a level of musicianship they've never been at. More professional than ever. Probably thanks to Coffin and Rashawn (even though I don't like Rashawn). Boyd not being around helps too.

One thing that does stand out to me with the old sound is just how bad Boyd really did sound. He was constantly out of tune. I think it was easy to give it a pass back then because you didn't have anything to compare to. Today, the bar is raised.

Again, just my opinions. I get why you like 98, I just don't agree the sound was better back then. There are many different aspects that were better in 98, like Dave's voice, the bands energy, Carter's energy (but not his skill.. he's better now) - but the sound itself was messy.

ToySoldier#34 02-08-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17630291)
Just a personal random comment..The 'tight' sound in 2018/2019 is just too good. I go back and listen to old stuff every so often and can't help but notice how much better the band sounds these days.

Putting setlists, energy, and the lack of improv aside, I would take the current sound over old sound any day. 2000 - 2004 are still my personal favorite years because of the energy and how they explored/improv'd more, but the sound today is just so much better.

What happened to you?

seanbrutus 02-08-2020 09:36 AM

I think I’d take 2018-2019 out of anything from 2010 onwards.

KevinTH 02-08-2020 09:50 AM

To each their own. I respect your opinion no matter how crazy I think it to be hahaha. May-June 2016, in my opinion, was the best the band sounded since before Roi died. I don’t know what happened after June, but Boyd was playing better than he had in years and it showed in the recordings. They actually had him turned up, the set lists were solid, the new songs were promising and included Bismarck which was one of the most DMB-sounding tunes in years, and the band overall seemed to finally blend together well with Boyd playing on point. That Break Free with the violin solo at the end...oh man that’s too bad that only happened once.

Bmwm3oz 02-08-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17630322)
To each their own. I respect your opinion no matter how crazy I think it to be hahaha. May-June 2016, in my opinion, was the best the band sounded since before Roi died. I don’t know what happened after June, but Boyd was playing better than he had in years and it showed in the recordings. They actually had him turned up, the set lists were solid, the new songs were promising and included Bismarck which was one of the most DMB-sounding tunes in years, and the band overall seemed to finally blend together well with Boyd playing on point. That Break Free with the violin solo at the end...oh man that’s too bad that only happened once.

I forget most of 2016, but I will check it out after this comment. If I have one memory, it's that TR was still overplaying back then. The setlists were nice for sure.

monizzle145 02-08-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 17630319)

You must have never went to any of the northeast June 2013 shows or the Caravan then.

KevinTH 02-08-2020 10:12 AM

I’ll add that I think it takes far more effort and skill to play the way they did in the earlier days. While technically, yes, Carter can do far more than he used to, it doesn’t always mean more is better. The finesse and ease he used to play with created an incredible dynamic that made the band what it was. Roi’s approach to the instrument was in no way self-serving and when Boyd WAS on, that dynamic was like no other. Are they more professional now? Sure, they’ve been at it for 30 years, but to say they’re playing better than ever feels like a real reach, in my opinion. All that said, I do think they sounded better in 2019 then I had heard in a while.

ToySoldier#34 02-08-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanbrutus (Post 17630319)

In terms of sound I agree

Bmwm3oz 02-08-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17630329)
I’ll add that I think it takes far more effort and skill to play the way they did in the earlier days. While technically, yes, Carter can do far more than he used to, it doesn’t always mean more is better. The finesse and ease he used to play with created an incredible dynamic that made the band what it was. Roi’s approach to the instrument was in no way self-serving and when Boyd WAS on, that dynamic was like no other. Are they more professional now? Sure, they’ve been at it for 30 years, but to say they’re playing better than ever feels like a real reach, in my opinion. All that said, I do think they sounded better in 2019 then I had heard in a while.

Hmm, yeah it's tough to say. Part of me wants to say it takes more effort to play the way they do now because of how well put together the music is. I mean, Jeff and Rashawn are completely in sync. They know when to play down to the millisecond and they are out of the measure exactly when they should be. That goes for Carter (who was pretty much always in sync) and Stefan too. Stefan is a monster these days compared to the 90s. The way the music is structured now reminds me of an orchestra. They are f'n spot on.. at almost every moment.

On the other hand, the effort they put in before - maybe it was a different level of effort. They certainly explored their songs more, changed it up every show and of course Carter played with much more intensity. Dave did as well when it comes to chords he used.. etc.

Maybe saying they are playing better now than ever is a bit of stretch. Maybe it's that I've really grown to enjoy the new 'tight' sound as opposed to what I think now (because I have something to compare to) was a messy sound in the 90s.

Whatever it is, I've found myself enjoying recent DMB more than I've enjoyed this band in many, many years.

By the way, completely agree about Roi and the dynamic of the old days. That still can't be topped. I mean, Buddy is good, and Rashawn is a technical player, but the dynamic is simply not there the way it used to be. Somehow I'm able to look past that though and still prefer the newer sound. No idea.

YankeesDMB41 02-08-2020 10:34 AM

It really makes me so happy that DMB is almost 30 years in, and they still sound so great. Not many bands can say that. I don't think it's their best, but go listen to the Typical Situation on the Rhino's Choice disc with good headphones/speakers and tell me that band doesnt sound fucking fantastic.

Bmwm3oz 02-08-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17630337)
It really makes me so happy that DMB is almost 30 years in, and they still sound so great. Not many bands can say that. I don't think it's their best, but go listen to the Typical Situation on the Rhino's Choice disc with good headphones/speakers and tell me that band doesnt sound fucking fantastic.

So true. And many of us take the band for granted. I used to complain on here about everything possible. I’m at the point now where I’m just happy they are still hitting the Gorge for three nights each year. Let alone playing at all.

The cherry on top is the fact that they still sound amazing.

sean52692 02-08-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17630273)
The end of a Halloween. You can hear him saying something that ends with “fucker!” during the break down at the end. Around 4:30.

That does not sound like Stefan - sounds more like Alanis to me.

Bearclaw_ 02-08-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17630343)
So true. And many of us take the band for granted. I used to complain on here about everything possible. I’m at the point now where I’m just happy they are still hitting the Gorge for three nights each year. Let alone playing at all.

The cherry on top is the fact that they still sound amazing.

This. I think they sound really good right no and I'm hitting more shows than I ever have just so I don't miss out on who knows how many years we have left. One of the original three could go at anytime.

badgernation41 02-08-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller9 (Post 17630215)
There are a few songs I’d like to see return, shotgun included. They’ve done a decent job of sprinkling in songs (joyride, if I had it All), but they need to bring some of these songs back in a consistent rotation. Like having different staples (dreaming tree instead of crush for example some nights). I’ve honestly just come to the realization last few tours, that they’re just playing “fan favs” now sprinkled with new songs and a FEW deep tracks. It’s gotten old honestly and wish they would change it up. Hopefully 2020 will be good. It will be the lowest number of shows I’ve done since 2009

I 100% agree with you on this. They need more variety in the setlists. And I love dreaming Tree. i haven't heard that one in a long time.

monizzle145 02-08-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgernation41 (Post 17630408)
I 100% agree with you on this. They need more variety in the setlists. And I love dreaming Tree. i haven't heard that one in a long time.

The thing is the band has never had more song variety than they have in this current era. The issue is the newer music just sucks and has flooded the sets. Also older songs have tim or rashawn playing over dave and re sped up too much (see DDTW and Grey Street) Some of the best tours i.e 2000 and 2004 had tons of repeats. In 2000 they played busted stuff all 3 nights of hartford. They played the stone and a few other songs 2 of the 3 nights (and they had more than 3 nights worth of songs back then).

Once they got to stand up the band essentially said they weren't going to be phish or the grateful dead. I would love to see a lot of post everyday music to be cut off of a tour and more 1993-2004 music take over the sets.

I honestly would even prefer a tour where they played BTCS front to back every night (outside of 2 night stands) and then add random songs after. A predictable BTCS front to back would be better than the "unique" setlists they play now.

JBScout21 02-08-2020 04:21 PM

Interrupting whatever nonsense y'all are talking about to say the 12/10/05 Minarets is good shit. That is all.