Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Falling off the Roof (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354452)

#34Stickyfinger 07-16-2020 12:40 PM

Falling off the Roof

What's everyone's thought on this tune? Should they have run with it? It's a good melody and has so much potential. I think it may end up on the next Dave solo album. What other songs might end up on there?

Cigarette Lit
Falling off the Roof
I won't Give it Away
Sister
Bismarck

sean52692 07-18-2020 05:22 PM

Re: Falling off the Roof

Definitely deserved more love than just one play - it's an interesting piece of songwriting. I am glad it got released on DMB25.

YankeesDMB41 07-19-2020 07:51 AM

There used to be a snippet of the studio version and it sounded great

Scootlebug 07-19-2020 09:52 AM

I listened to a studio version multiple times 10+ Years ago. Dave was in Philly visiting family and dropped by a studio owned by people he’s recorded with in the past. He recorded several ideas, one of them being FotR, and they were just cataloged by the studio. After a year or two my buddy, who was a sound engineer, downloaded the songs to a disk. It was roughly 15 minutes of material and they were rough cuts. FotR gave off the same vibes as The Fly, even with a little piano jam mid song. I liked it.

DEMITRI 07-19-2020 11:17 AM

^is the above circulating? I would love to hear that

bigeyedpigs 07-19-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootlebug (Post 17752516)
I listened to a studio version multiple times 10+ Years ago. Dave was in Philly visiting family and dropped by a studio owned by people he’s recorded with in the past. He recorded several ideas, one of them being FotR, and they were just cataloged by the studio. After a year or two my buddy, who was a sound engineer, downloaded the songs to a disk. It was roughly 15 minutes of material and they were rough cuts. FotR gave off the same vibes as The Fly, even with a little piano jam mid song. I liked it.

Wasn't the song recorded with Herbie Hancock and renamed jackpot? Is that the version that you heard? I've been trying to find that for years.

jane88 07-19-2020 12:17 PM

There is a 52 second long clip out there of the recording done at MilkBoy the Studio in Philadelphia. It was on their website for years. Unfortunately the whole recording never leaked. If I remember, someone who had connections to the studio was trying to get the whole thing, but that never materialized.

I remember the video promo for Herbie’s Imagine Project with Dave, Carter and Herbie in the studio recording FOTR. I was excited to hear it, but it was cut from the album and that promo was edited to remove that part...wish I had that track or even that promo video.

CapnHani06 07-19-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jane88 (Post 17752614)
There is a 52 second long clip out there of the recording done at MilkBoy the Studio in Philadelphia. It was on their website for years. Unfortunately the whole recording never leaked. If I remember, someone who had connections to the studio was trying to get the whole thing, but that never materialized.

I remember the video promo for Herbie’s Imagine Project with Dave, Carter and Herbie in the studio recording FOTR. I was excited to hear it, but it was cut from the album and that promo was edited to remove that part...wish I had that track or even that promo video.

Found it!! https://www.milkboythestudio.com/records

Second row, we'll call it cell B2 :lol

Had never heard this, thanks for pointing me in the right direction

YankeesDMB41 07-20-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnHani06 (Post 17752799)

Good find

TheStone91 07-20-2020 09:44 AM

Falling off the Roof

How has the full thing not leaked by now? I really wanna hear the full studio version. That preview gives me Drive Me Away vibes.

Scootlebug 07-20-2020 12:09 PM

I just texted my buddy who worked at Milk Boy (he’s long since left the studio and is actually a mildly successful touring musician these days). He is looking for a copy of the audio and will let me know.

bigeyedpigs 07-20-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnHani06 (Post 17752799)

Thank you for posting this! Hopefully the whole thing leaks at some point.

TheStone91 07-20-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootlebug (Post 17753121)
I just texted my buddy who worked at Milk Boy (he’s long since left the studio and is actually a mildly successful touring musician these days). He is looking for a copy of the audio and will let me know.

Sweet! Fingers crossed. Thanks.

Dodo36 07-20-2020 07:38 PM

Coolsville. Nice demo, but the jury is still out for me.

hkhund07 07-21-2020 06:35 AM

I'm not loving this tune. Maybe I need to hear the whole thing.

lilant420 07-23-2020 11:29 AM

Heard this at my first show ever in 07. Wasn't impressed then or now. Whenever it comes up on my shuffle, I generally skip it. :(

Scootlebug 07-23-2020 12:22 PM

Texted my friend and he believes the CD is at his parents house, which he doesn’t plan on visiting anytime soon. Remember, what I heard is a demo, but it’s the song in its entirety with bass, light percussions and keys.

YankeesDMB41 07-23-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootlebug (Post 17755696)
Texted my friend and he believes the CD is at his parents house, which he doesn’t plan on visiting anytime soon. Remember, what I heard is a demo, but it’s the song in its entirety with bass, light percussions and keys.

I really want to hear this. That would be great if it ever got on here.

SeanMH 07-23-2020 01:37 PM

does nothing for me... cant believe it made the box release, SO many other songs that people have actually heard and at least heard of

lilant420 07-29-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanMH (Post 17755741)
does nothing for me... cant believe it made the box release, SO many other songs that people have actually heard and at least heard of

Pretty much... welcome to 2020!

JZ4140 07-29-2020 10:59 AM

I've always loved this song. Would be so jazzed to hear a finished version! And would love to have this back in the live rotation as an E1.

groogrux27 07-29-2020 11:11 AM

literally one of my favorite dave songs

the emotion in it, the dark tone, the guitar part, it's beautiful

TheStone91 01-17-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootlebug (Post 17755696)

Hey, any update on this? I reallllyyy would like to hear this!

DEMITRI 01-17-2021 04:17 PM

Woah that clip is really cool would love to hear it in its entirety

Scootlebug 01-17-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStone91 (Post 17875312)
Hey, any update on this? I reallllyyy would like to hear this!

It’s not going to happen. My friend’s father passed 7 years ago and he hasn’t gone back often sense. I’m not putting any pressure on him to rummage around his basement for a CD.

None the less, I’ve heard it and it’s real.

TheStone91 01-17-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootlebug (Post 17875634)
It’s not going to happen. My friend’s father passed 7 years ago and he hasn’t gone back often sense. I’m not putting any pressure on him to rummage around his basement for a CD.

None the less, I’ve heard it and it’s real.

For sure, I gotcha. Thanks for the update.