Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

DMBCubs25 10-09-2011 07:09 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Ya 2 and 7 need to go back to being paired together.

Bron Yr Aur 10-09-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13006291)
First off, Keith has played very well.

The reason he doesn't look Norris worthy is because of the bolded. You can't have Leddy and Keith together because they both try to get involved on offense and they get burned at some point always. Guaranteed one breakaway a game. D pairings should be Keith-Seabs Hammer-Leddy Montador-Whoever Else

Yeah, the thing is, then you have Seabrook playing with Hammer, and when that happens it seems like #7 starts deciding he's going to pinch in offensively even more often and usually that leads to him making a big mistake. But, hell of a pass to Toews last night. That was a beautiful play, Toews' skating and finish just so smooth. G's just will never learn that Toews is going 5-hole.

DMBCubs25 10-09-2011 07:32 PM

Oh they'll learn, they just can't stop it!

JRS1386 10-09-2011 07:56 PM

Blackhawks!!!!!

TMoore4075 10-10-2011 09:39 AM

Crappy way to start off for the Jets but I can't imagine the pressure in that situation. They'll challenge in the SE but I don't see them making the playoffs.

As for my team this was a thing of beauty.

http://youtu.be/uNfW1M_n6LU

bonzo48280 10-10-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13007498)
Crappy way to start off for the Jets but I can't imagine the pressure in that situation. They'll challenge in the SE but I don't see them making the playoffs.

As for my team this was a thing of beauty.

http://youtu.be/uNfW1M_n6LU

goddamn. they are so good

fonzz41 10-10-2011 11:34 AM

I was watching Peter Forsberg's jersey retirement ceremony, where he spent way more time talking about Joe Sakic than he did about himself (classy). Peter McNab (Avalanche color commentator) brought up a good debate question that I thought, "totally going to ask this to the guys!"

Has there ever been a better 1-2 punch at center in the NHL than Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg in their prime? Sakic with that deceptive speed and wrist shot, and Forsberg with that bull in a china shop mentality and incredible hands... not to mention both of their abilities to play well in all three zones. I am certainly biased, but McNab makes a good case.

Yzerman and Federov come to mind... but not sure they were quite as dynamic as Sakic and Forbserg. Messier and Gretzky did too, until I remembered Messier spent most of his early career playing wing, switching over to center around the time of The Trade (if I remember right). Anyways, just something to talk about.

DrewD55 10-10-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13007756)
I was watching Peter Forsberg's jersey retirement ceremony, where he spent way more time talking about Joe Sakic than he did about himself (classy). Peter McNab (Avalanche color commentator) brought up a good debate question that I thought, "totally going to ask this to the guys!"

Has there ever been a better 1-2 punch at center in the NHL than Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg in their prime? Sakic with that deceptive speed and wrist shot, and Forsberg with that bull in a china shop mentality and incredible hands... not to mention both of their abilities to play well in all three zones. I am certainly biased, but McNab makes a good case.

Yzerman and Federov come to mind... but not sure they were quite as dynamic as Sakic and Forbserg. Messier and Gretzky did too, until I remembered Messier spent most of his early career playing wing, switching over to center around the time of The Trade (if I remember right). Anyways, just something to talk about.

I don't know that I'd limit it to 1-2 punches of centers. The best "dynamic duos" in hockey to me have always been the center and wing to his left or right: Gretsky and Messier, Lemieux and Jagr, the Lindros "Crazy 8s/Legion of Doom" line with Leclair and Renberg, Lafontaine and Mogilny (for 2 seasons, anyways).

TMoore4075 10-10-2011 11:43 AM

Yzerman and Fedorov were great but they weren't as "needed" I guess as Forsberg and Sakic. Wings had so much depth, not that the Avs didn't, that they didn't carry the load like Sakic and Forsberg. Wings also had Larionov as a "3rd line center" and on his wing, Shanny, which takes a lot of pressure off. Those two were really dominant in that 96 run.

Have to throw this out there, Forsberg said he enjoyed always beating the Wings. Yeah for a few years but then that whole game 7 in 02 thing and that quick series in 08... ;)

fonzz41 10-10-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13007775)
I don't know that I'd limit it to 1-2 punches of centers. The best "dynamic duos" in hockey to me have always been the center and wing to his left or right: Gretsky and Messier, Lemieux and Jagr, the Lindros "Crazy 8s/Legion of Doom" line with Leclair and Renberg, Lafontaine and Mogilny (for 2 seasons, anyways).

We certainly don't have to limit it to centers. Just throwing out the same question McNab did. I'm open to any and all debate :thumbsup. Yours are great, I would also throw in Gretzky/Kurri and Orr/Esposito (yes, even though Orr played defense). Probably a few more I'm missing.

Also, if Crosby gets healthy and Malkin can put together some good consistent seasons, they could definitely be sitting right up there with Sakic/Forbserg in a few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13007801)
Have to throw this out there, Forsberg said he enjoyed always beating the Wings. Yeah for a few years but then that whole game 7 in 02 thing and that quick series in 08... ;)

Yeah, I cringed a little when Peter said that... knowing that for all the times we beat you guys, there were also some pretty tough losses.

BTW - answered my own question about Messier. he switched to center in '84.

DrewD55 10-10-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13007801)
Yzerman and Fedorov were great but they weren't as "needed" I guess as Forsberg and Sakic. Wings had so much depth, not that the Avs didn't, that they didn't carry the load like Sakic and Forsberg. Wings also had Larionov as a "3rd line center" and on his wing, Shanny, which takes a lot of pressure off. Those two were really dominant in that 96 run.

Wings-Avs rivalry in the late 90s was amazing. For two rather finesse teams, they physically beat the shit out of each other every year in the playoffs. Loved it, and I'm not a fan of either team (strange, given my avatar, but there it is).

TMoore4075 10-10-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13007820)
Yeah, I cringed a little when Peter said that... knowing that for all the times we beat you guys, there were also some pretty tough losses.

He was playing to the crowd who, lets be honest hasn't had a lot to cheer for in terms of that type of success since 02.

I think the series ended up being 3-3 when you include 2008 so dead even.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13007823)
Wings-Avs rivalry in the late 90s was amazing. For two rather finesse teams, they physically beat the shit out of each other every year in the playoffs. Loved it, and I'm not a fan of either team (strange, given my avatar, but there it is).

Yeah it was great. People can say all they want about the Caps and Pens but those are all one sided. Yeah the Avs won a couple back to back in 99 and 2000 but it ended up being even. 96, 97 and 02 were the best looking back. 96 for me was hard to take at the time but a dang good series looking back 15 years.

fonzz41 10-10-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13007842)
Yeah it was great. People can say all they want about the Caps and Pens but those are all one sided. Yeah the Avs won a couple back to back in 99 and 2000 but it ended up being even. 96, 97 and 02 were the best looking back. 96 for me was hard to take at the time but a dang good series looking back 15 years.

That's what was so great - you never knew how it would end up back then. Now, you can usually predict the score of an Avs/Wings game, but back then, it was something you waited all season for and were rarely disappointed.

Alazais 10-10-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13005788)
What's the opinion of most Leafs fans on Reimer? I'm not sold on him at all. Just wondering what the consensus is in Toronto.

I live in Quebec, so I don't really have a pulse on the average Leafs fan's opinion. But from what I can gather ( on forums and such) they think he can be an above average goalie who will steal a game or two. He's young and hasn't played 40 games in the NHL yet. But he's got the kind of attitude that has a lot of fans teething with excitement. He has the drive to succeed and work ethic to make it happy. He's quiet, humble and (not like it matters), religious.

I have high hopes for him this year and I get the feeling Jonas Gustavsson is going to do exceptionally well and suprise alot of people.

DrewD55 10-10-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 13007996)
I live in Quebec, so I don't really have a pulse on the average Leafs fan's opinion. But from what I can gather ( on forums and such) they think he can be an above average goalie who will steal a game or two. He's young and hasn't played 40 games in the NHL yet. But he's got the kind of attitude that has a lot of fans teething with excitement. He has the drive to succeed and work ethic to make it happy. He's quiet, humble and (not like it matters), religious.

I have high hopes for him this year and I get the feeling Jonas Gustavsson is going to do exceptionally well and suprise alot of people.

And you're a Leafs fan? I figured Montreal would be the only team most people up there cared about. Of course, I still miss the Nordiques. When they were still around, I saw them play against the Sabres at the Aud a ton of times. Had some of the coolest-looking uniforms around (and until Forsberg arrived, they were an easy win...).

fonzz41 10-10-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13008017)
And you're a Leafs fan? I figured Montreal would be the only team most people up there cared about. Of course, I still miss the Nordiques. When they were still around, I saw them play against the Sabres at the Aud a ton of times. Had some of the coolest-looking uniforms around (and until Forsberg arrived, they were an easy win...).

Hey, Super Joe gave them SOME relevance ;)

Totally agree on the sweaters... my dream sweater is an Adam Foote Nords jersey.

wampa3 10-10-2011 01:23 PM

The Francis-Lemieux-Jagr line has got to be one of the best in somewhat recent history. I'd like to say a line with Gretzky as well, but that guy's a douche.

bradshaw06 10-10-2011 10:17 PM

Crosby meets with doctors tomorrow, could be cleared for contact.

thechad90000 10-10-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 13009430)
Crosby meets with doctors tomorrow, could be cleared for contact.

That's really good to hear.

Roose13 10-10-2011 11:43 PM

Excellent news for Crosby

RiotAct 10-10-2011 11:58 PM

Lots of people dressed as empty seats in Dallas tonight

efraser77 10-11-2011 12:02 AM

Can someone explain why the Sharks have to wait six days between their first and second games? What is this, football?

bradshaw06 10-11-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 13009814)

Probably to be expected with the Ranger-Tiger game going on at the same time.

barbogast 10-11-2011 09:50 AM

Seems my Capitals have changed nothing since last season. Ovechkin is still sleep walking, although his line was slightly better last night. Vokoun had a rough go, I'm not sold that move was a good one. Gives Boudreau a reason to sit Neuvirth regularly, which I do not agree with. Boudreau is just awful. Gonna be another long year, ending in certain embarrassment in April, potentially early May, most definitely not June.

Yet for some reason I keep coming back to this team.

TMoore4075 10-11-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13009827)
Can someone explain why the Sharks have to wait six days between their first and second games? What is this, football?

Sounds like the NBA playoffs to me.

barbogast 10-11-2011 09:51 AM

Great to hear the news on Crosby, hopefully he gets back in before too long.

salrx95 10-11-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13007775)

bossy and trottier

hull and oates. (short time, too)

sedin and sedin.

getzlaf and perry (in a few years, you could say it)

salrx95 10-11-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13007823)

certainly was amazing. Must see NHL. It was awesome as an outside. Couldn't imagine how awesome it must have been as a fan of one those teams. I have ISles/Rags which is about as a good a rivalry there is in hockey but that rivalry for a few years trumped everything.

Alazais 10-11-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewD55 (Post 13008017)

I'm from about an hour north of Toronto. I have only been in Quebec since January of 2010. But I will say it is hard to be a Leafs fan here.

DrewD55 10-11-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13009827)

Sabres are going through the same thing. Played their two games in Europe last Friday and Saturday. Next game is this coming Friday.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 01:10 PM

@ChrisKuc: Winger Daniel Carcillo on pending #Blackhawks debut and skating with Marian Hossa and Patrick Kane: trib.in/rssznp

Carcillo might be playing on the 2nd line on Thursday night...bizarre.

fonzz41 10-11-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13010779)
@ChrisKuc: Winger Daniel Carcillo on pending #Blackhawks debut and skating with Marian Hossa and Patrick Kane: trib.in/rssznp

Carcillo might be playing on the 2nd line on Thursday night...bizarre.

That's the frustrating thing about Carcillo... he's an effective player at creating space for his teammates on the ice. His willingness to go into corners for pucks, and also his speed help open up the ice and allow the skill players to do their thing. That makes him a very good asset to a team's top line.

What ruins it for him is himself. If it wasn't for his terrible attitude, this guy would not be on a one year contract fighting for minutes.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 01:46 PM

Maybe if Q actually does throw him on that line it will keep him focused on playing hockey, not taking runs at guys. If he can get himself parked in front of the net on that line, it could be very effective. Kane and Hossa bring a ton of skill and can play keep away from the defense, Carcillo should easily be able to pick up some garbage goals with those guys if he's given sustained time playing with them.

The worrying part is on defense. Kane has looked much better with the poke check, but he's still a bit of a liability, and then you add in Carcillo running out of position to get hits, and it could be a problem.

~Crashintome89~ 10-11-2011 01:47 PM

I better not hear any cheers for Richards on Saturday night.

fonzz41 10-11-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13010866)
Maybe if Q actually does throw him on that line it will keep him focused on playing hockey, not taking runs at guys. If he can get himself parked in front of the net on that line, it could be very effective. Kane and Hossa bring a ton of skill and can play keep away from the defense, Carcillo should easily be able to pick up some garbage goals with those guys if he's given sustained time playing with them.

The worrying part is on defense. Kane has looked much better with the poke check, but he's still a bit of a liability, and then you add in Carcillo running out of position to get hits, and it could be a problem.

This does work for some players - getting more responsibility and running with it. Q has nothing to lose by doing it... if it works out, then he is lauded as the guy who finally got through to Dan Carcillo. If not, well, chalk it up to Carcillo being Carcillo and sit him in the press box.

Hossa is one of the best two-way players in the game, and Carcillo can be as well if he would just focus. Kane is a liability.

DmBand801 10-11-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 13009814)

The ALCS & a random 5pm start time probably didn't help their cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 13010378)
Seems my Capitals have changed nothing since last season. Ovechkin is still sleep walking, although his line was slightly better last night. Vokoun had a rough go, I'm not sold that move was a good one. Gives Boudreau a reason to sit Neuvirth regularly, which I do not agree with. Boudreau is just awful. Gonna be another long year, ending in certain embarrassment in April, potentially early May, most definitely not June.

Yet for some reason I keep coming back to this team.

I like that Boudreau benched Ovechkin for taking long shifts last night. No one is above the team.

Vokoun will be just fine. He started to find his rhythm in the overtime against that 4 on 3 Lightning powerplay.

TMoore4075 10-11-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 13010903)
The ALCS & a random 5pm start time probably didn't help their cause.

I like that Boudreau benched Ovechkin for taking long shifts last night. No one is above the team.

Vokoun will be just fine. He started to find his rhythm in the overtime against that 4 on 3 Lightning powerplay.

There were a lot of empty seats all over the NHL yesterday with celebrating "we took your land day."

I laughed a little when Vokoun was pissed, well his agent said he was, about not starting game 1. Umm you played crappy during the pre-season that'll happen. Might be thinking he wished he'd gone to the Wings as a backup. Conklin did a damn good job the other night though for the Wings.

fonzz41 10-11-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 13010903)

Did he? That's awesome. It's so easy to cater to your superstar, it's nice to see Brucey grow a pair and stop... because we all know how frequently it was done in the past. There's a whole attitude shift that needs to take place on the Caps. To a degree, I think it has begun and is helped by the type of guys they brought in during the offseason. You said it perfectly, Ant, no one is above the team. That needs to get into the heads of everyone from the top down. And by the top, I mean AO.

fonzz41 10-11-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13010914)
Conklin did a damn good job the other night though for the Wings.

You just had to bring that up...

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13010914)
There were a lot of empty seats all over the NHL yesterday with celebrating "we took your land day."

I laughed a little when Vokoun was pissed, well his agent said he was, about not starting game 1. Umm you played crappy during the pre-season that'll happen. Might be thinking he wished he'd gone to the Wings as a backup. Conklin did a damn good job the other night though for the Wings.

Seriously. After seeing those three horrible short-side ridiculous angle goals he let in yesterday, I'd be happy you have Conklin instead.

TMoore4075 10-11-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13010920)
You just had to bring that up...

He only had two shutouts all of last year with the Blues and now has one out of one...ok I'm done really. :lol

fonzz41 10-11-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13010927)
He only had two shutouts all of last year with the Blues and now has one out of one...ok I'm done really. :lol

Yeah yeah. Like I said yesterday. The outcome of Wings/Avs game has become pretty predictable now. At least they pulled off the big win yesterday. Varly looked fantastic.

(sorry Duncaner)

dduncan6er 10-11-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13011162)
Yeah yeah. Like I said yesterday. The outcome of Wings/Avs game has become pretty predictable now. At least they pulled off the big win yesterday. Varly looked fantastic.

(sorry Duncaner)

Varly was awesome yesterday but the bruins sleep walked through the first 2 periods. They can't expect teams to roll over for them this year. They also seem to never score in front of rask. Its pretty frustrating because he deserves better.

pathetic 10-11-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13011190)
Varly was awesome yesterday but the bruins sleep walked through the first 2 periods. They can't expect teams to roll over for them this year. They also seem to never score in front of rask. Its pretty frustrating because he deserves better.

ya he def does. he had a hell of a game yesterday. 35 saves i think...they couldnt score for him

TMoore4075 10-11-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13011162)

(sorry Duncaner)

The way Anderson has started the season with the Sens I think you guys have done quite well. Gave up a lot in terms of assets to get him but even against the Wings he looked good.

fonzz41 10-11-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13011190)

Rask looked great yesterday, and the Avs were hungry. They've got a young team that lacks experience but has a lot of fire. If they can keep this core together they will be fine.

Hejduk's goal doesn't go in if Big Z isn't screening Tuuka.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13011193)
The way Anderson has started the season with the Sens I think you guys have done quite well. Gave up a lot in terms of assets to get him but even against the Wings he looked good.

He does look good, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. If he turns into that goalie of the future we can lean on, it will be completely worth it. The Avs are doing well in terms of building a core, despite what they gave up to get Varlamov. They've got a core guy on D (Johnson), some core offensive pieces (Duchene, Landeskog), and hopefully Varlamov can be that guy in net.

dduncan6er 10-11-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13011208)
Rask looked great yesterday, and the Avs were hungry. They've got a young team that lacks experience but has a lot of fire. If they can keep this core together they will be fine.

Hejduk's goal doesn't go in if Big Z isn't screening Tuuka.

He does look good, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. If he turns into that goalie of the future we can lean on, it will be completely worth it. The Avs are doing well in terms of building a core, despite what they gave up to get Varlamov. They've got a core guy on D (Johnson), some core offensive pieces (Duchene, Landeskog), and hopefully Varlamov can be that guy in net.

I was definitely impressed with them. I think their D still has a ways to go, but Duchene and Stastny give them 2 very good centers, and Landeskog looked very good for a kid playing his 2nd in the NHL. Ouside of Thomas and Rask, the only 2 bright spots have been Marchand and Seguin. They both look primed to take a huge step forward this year. Seguin especially. I think the Taylor vs Tyler debate will really heat up this year now that Seguin will be getting more ice time.

TMoore4075 10-11-2011 04:41 PM

So all of the Crosby talk this am was really for nothing. Still no contact. No setbacks which is good but still no contact.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13010887)
This does work for some players - getting more responsibility and running with it. Q has nothing to lose by doing it... if it works out, then he is lauded as the guy who finally got through to Dan Carcillo. If not, well, chalk it up to Carcillo being Carcillo and sit him in the press box.

Hossa is one of the best two-way players in the game, and Carcillo can be as well if he would just focus. Kane is a liability.

The problem is that they put Saad on the team to start the season but now banish him to the 4th line in favor of Carcillo? There's no way 4th line minutes in the NHL is really going to help him. He's a pretty big kid, but he's a scorer. You can't give him a couple of periods on the top 2 lines and then when he doesn't score, throw him to the 4th line. Either give him more of a chance to produce with Toews and Sharp or send him back to juniors.

joepsu0985 10-11-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 13011348)
So all of the Crosby talk this am was really for nothing. Still no contact. No setbacks which is good but still no contact.

All the hype was off of some tweet by Josh Rimer from NHL Home ice. His bullshit caused the chaos this summer when he tweeted that Sid was shutting it down for the year.

This guy either has horrible sources or just bad judgment.

joepsu0985 10-11-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13011351)
The problem is that they put Saad on the team to start the season but now banish him to the 4th line in favor of Carcillo? There's no way 4th line minutes in the NHL is really going to help him. He's a pretty big kid, but he's a scorer. You can't give him a couple of periods on the top 2 lines and then when he doesn't score, throw him to the 4th line. Either give him more of a chance to produce with Toews and Sharp or send him back to juniors.

I'm betting they are giving Saad his 9 games here for a taste. The Pens did this with Staal, but Staal ended up with top 6 minutes his rookie year. Don't think the Hawks have that luxury of putting him up there.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 13011363)
I'm betting they are giving Saad his 9 games here for a taste. The Pens did this with Staal, but Staal ended up with top 6 minutes his rookie year. Don't think the Hawks have that luxury of putting him up there.

The thing is, we have a lot of guys who can play with the team. Probably 24-25. Guys like Kruger, Smith, Stalberg, etc. who can be moved up and down the lineup to serve whatever purpose is needed in a given game. However, you're not going to know if Saad can come in as a rookie and really perform at an offensive level that is clearly higher than those guys if you don't give him a chance.

That said, it's looking more and more like what you said. They are giving him a taste of the NHL, patching a hole until a couple of guys (Smith & Stalberg) are healthy. But in the meantime, I'd kinda rather see Saad playing top 6 minutes than Carcillo.

bonzo48280 10-11-2011 05:16 PM

I trust whatever the Q stache tells me.

Unless he is putting Leddy and Keith together which is retarded

fonzz41 10-11-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13011351)

But also, lines aren't always set. They are always fluid and changing. Saad may be listed on the 4th line, but will then be inserted here and there on the first or second lines for a couple shifts.

As Joe mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Saad back in juniors this year.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13011428)
I trust whatever the Q stache tells me.

Unless he is putting Leddy and Keith together which is retarded

I think 2 and 8 was a very effective pairing for this team when they went on their winning streak in the 2nd half last season. It definitely allows Leddy to shine when there is someone who is much more sound defensively playing with him. I would rather see him with Hjalmarsson, though, as he can play the stay at home role while allowing Leddy to move the puck. And honestly, I think Leddy has taken over the Brian Campbell PMD role very nicely in the first two games. He's just about 10 years younger, 1/8 as expensive, and has significantly more defensive upside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13011607)
But also, lines aren't always set. They are always fluid and changing. Saad may be listed on the 4th line, but will then be inserted here and there on the first or second lines for a couple shifts.

Of course, especially with Quenneville. The problem is, Q used Saad on the 1st line for the first 20 minutes of the first game. Then he throws him to the 4th line where he can't really do much.

Quote:

As Joe mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Saad back in juniors this year.
Oh, of course. I would be extremely surprised if he wasn't sent back as soon as one of Ben Smith or Stalberg returns.

bonzo48280 10-11-2011 08:35 PM

No. Absolutely not. Leddy and Keith together is the exact same thing. Both are thinking defense and nobody stays home and it always leads to the other team getting chances. Both games saw good chances against Leddy and Keith. It makes no sense to not have Seabs and Keith together

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13011879)
No. Absolutely not. Leddy and Keith together is the exact same thing. Both are thinking defense and nobody stays home and it always leads to the other team getting chances. Both games saw good chances against Leddy and Keith. It makes no sense to not have Seabs and Keith together

You forget how effective the team was when Keith was paired with Leddy last year for a pretty long stretch? It's not really as necessary now that Leddy has a bit more experience. But Leddy has not been in the position of stay-at-home defenseman this year. His primary role seems to be getting the puck up the ice.

bonzo48280 10-11-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13011888)
You forget how effective the team was when Keith was paired with Leddy last year for a pretty long stretch? It's not really as necessary now that Leddy has a bit more experience. But Leddy has not been in the position of stay-at-home defenseman this year. His primary role seems to be getting the puck up the ice.

I think that is more of a coincidence than a result. Toews Kane and Sharp were each averaging 2 points a game during that stretch. Keith played like shit all year until the last 4 games of the playoffs.

Bron Yr Aur 10-11-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13011893)
I think that is more of a coincidence than a result. Toews Kane and Sharp were each averaging 2 points a game during that stretch. Keith played like shit all year until the last 4 games of the playoffs.

I mean I'll agree that Keith was not good. But during that stretch, not only was the offense on fire, the defense + Crawford were shutting people down as well. And I think you have to give Keith a lot of credit for holding down that pairing with Leddy.

RiotAct 10-11-2011 09:13 PM

OMG Ottawa's coach's mustache is epic. E-P-I-C.

bonzo48280 10-11-2011 10:56 PM

Detroit to the East? Sign me up.

dduncan6er 10-11-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13012156)

:thumbsdow Not a fan of this at all.

DMBzilla 10-11-2011 11:00 PM

The Flyers' not yet officially confirmed Winter Classic jerseys are fucking badass.

RiotAct 10-11-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13012156)

No, God no. PLEASE God, no.

dmbmuskie 10-11-2011 11:24 PM

The Pens look good.

joepsu0985 10-12-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbmuskie (Post 13012217)
The Pens look good.

They looked shaky starting the game, still a bit sloppy, the defense is unreal right now.

~Crashintome89~ 10-12-2011 08:58 AM

I think it would be an abomination for the Red Wings to go the East.

wampa3 10-12-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepsu0985 (Post 13012351)
They looked shaky starting the game, still a bit sloppy, the defense is unreal right now.

This. Holy shit they've been good. Michalek is becoming my hero. Moreover, they've been this good without Orpik.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13012660)
I think it would be an abomination for the Red Wings to go the East.

Ugh, i pray that these rumors aren't true. Of the three teams that are vying for an Eastern conference spot, why Detroit?!? While they want to be in the east just as much as any other team, they have the least to gain. Really hope the NHL takes this opportunity to rearrange the league to help accommodate as many teams as possible.

TMoore4075 10-12-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 13012668)
Ugh, i pray that these rumors aren't true. Of the three teams that are vying for an Eastern conference spot, why Detroit?!? While they want to be in the east just as much as any other team, they have the least to gain. Really hope the NHL takes this opportunity to rearrange the league to help accommodate as many teams as possible.

Least to gain? They have the most. Or they've had to deal with the most. While it sucks a little during the regular season the travel is worst in the playoffs. "So Columbus what do you think of that travel during the playoffs?" "That 1 hour flight to Detroit for games 1 & 2 in 2009 was brutal." In some ways Detroit's paid their dues and been a good team about this whole thing. They traveled more in that first round in 2010 than most teams do for an entire playoff. That can wear on you. Yeah they've won Cups and all of that but a team like the Pens who is only 5 hours away by car what makes them more entitled to an easier travel schedule? The whole Detroit is a big draw thing is a myth, at least based on last year, outside of Columbus and Phoenix. Most teams were about 90% capacity or above out West last year. While they are a big draw still they aren't the end all and be all like they used to be. They would help out the crappy attended teams in the East as much as they do the West right now. Heck did you see that game between them and TBL last year? You would have thought it was in Detroit.

Now in saying that there are way too many things that will go into this decision. As you can see by this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377916

Out of Bob's proposals I think G is what might happen or should. Nashville isn't going East imo. It's Detroit or Columbus but them going there would totally throw off the 6 division format. You either break up rivalries in divisions you have now or you put them in the SE which just doesn't make sense for either. So going to 4 total makes sense. It would also probably be divisional format for playoffs. In that scenario, I am quite happy staying in the West. Like I said above the regular season doesn't bother me that much, although plan G here would eliminate travel to the West coast dramatically. The playoffs the Wings furthest trips would be to Winnipeg or Dallas. A little easier than Phoenix, SJ or Anaheim. Personally if they were to consider this I'm almost more for that and let the Jackets go to the East and miss the playoffs there.

lockman21 10-12-2011 05:00 PM

To those of you interested, a quick little video of my trip to Dallas this past weekend (plus parts from our night out in Austin, TX as well)

http://vimeo.com/30410015

dduncan6er 10-12-2011 05:43 PM

Krejci missing the next 2 games at least with a leg injury. That's not good news for the B's. Only good thing about it is Seguin is going to get the shot to center Lucic and Horton.

DMBCubs25 10-12-2011 09:14 PM

Flyers!!!

Bron Yr Aur 10-12-2011 09:25 PM

Slick play by JVR to take that puck right away from Louuuuu

DMBCubs25 10-12-2011 09:35 PM

Lololololuongo, good first period!

Bron Yr Aur 10-12-2011 09:53 PM

Flyers realy do look like a very strong squad right now. Their defense against Vancouver's prolific offense just looks so solid, and they are dominating the neutral zone.

Roose13 10-12-2011 11:25 PM

Exciting game in Philly! 3-0-0 after that barnburner!

monkeyman68 10-12-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13010869)
I better not hear any cheers for Richards on Saturday night.

I'll be cheering him

Most of the crowd should cheer him

rickyh24 10-13-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13013917)
Krejci missing the next 2 games at least with a leg injury. That's not good news for the B's. Only good thing about it is Seguin is going to get the shot to center Lucic and Horton.

Shit now they going to start to suck......oh wait.

Roose13 10-13-2011 01:01 AM

I'll be at Saturday's game wearing my Richie jersey. Officially retiring it after the game.

DMBCubs25 10-13-2011 02:50 AM

Luongo the new Huet??

bonzo48280 10-13-2011 03:30 AM

I'll say it all the time....I don't give a shit about Vancouver unless the Hawks playing them

DMBCubs25 10-13-2011 03:37 AM

I will always enjoy watching that team lose.

bonzo48280 10-13-2011 03:45 AM

They're gonna win, and they're gonna win a lot thanks to their shitty division. I'll just enjoy beating them.

~Crashintome89~ 10-13-2011 09:28 AM

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...rn=nhl-wp14710

:lol :lol :lol

Bron Yr Aur 10-13-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 13014847)
They're gonna win, and they're gonna win a lot thanks to their shitty division. I'll just enjoy beating them.

Exactly. Their offense still looks pretty good this year. I don't think they will be as good as last year, as their defense looks like it misses Ehrhoff. The Flyers looked like they were on the PP for long stretches of the 1st and 2nd period where Vancouver just could not get control of the puck in their own zone.

kev87lads 10-13-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13014917)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

wampa3 10-13-2011 11:30 AM

Pens news...

Kunitz signed to a 2-year, $3.725 mil contract. Good signing helps solidify the roster that much more.

Malkin skating this morning, not sure what it means just yet, but he could play tonight.

and....(drumrole)....Crosby is wearing a black helmet this morning, the same color as the rest of the team. Could mean that he's been cleared for contact. No official word yet though. Here's hoping!

EDIT: Bylsma press conference live at 11:30 on pens radio. Should be interesting

bradshaw06 10-13-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 13015193)
Pens news...

Kunitz signed to a 2-year, $3.725 mil contract. Good signing helps solidify the roster that much more.

Malkin skating this morning, not sure what it means just yet, but he could play tonight.

and....(drumrole)....Crosby is wearing a black helmet this morning, the same color as the rest of the team. Could mean that he's been cleared for contact. No official word yet though. Here's hoping!

EDIT: Bylsma press conference live at 11:30 on pens radio. Should be interesting

was just coming to post this, awesome news all around.

dmbmuskie 10-13-2011 12:00 PM

Sid was wearing the black helmet on the road trip. Not sure how people missed that, or why he was back to the white helmet back in Pittsburgh. I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see him play when they're in Minnesota next week.

Roose13 10-13-2011 12:03 PM

Philly fans love cancer! http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp14710

:rolleyes

EDIT: Woops, didn't back read.

brew10 10-13-2011 12:05 PM

Crosby cleared for contact in practice. Excellent news.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377981

brew10 10-13-2011 12:09 PM

So.... for some reason TSN has this on their homepage "Sidney Crosby has taken another step towards his return to game action. Crosby took part in practice with his Pittsburgh Penguins teammates on Thursday morning, wearing the same black-coloured helmet as his teammates. The club then confirmed that Crosby has been cleared for contact at practice." but it doesn't say he has been officially cleared in the article.

~Crashintome89~ 10-13-2011 12:12 PM

Flyers PR must have leaked this news last night, causing massive amounts of Flyers fans to boo him when he talked about how important fighting cancer is in today's world.

swordo84 10-13-2011 12:29 PM

...from Russia

Quote:

Originally Posted by @dchesnokov

The lone survivor of the Lokomotiv plane crash in his 1st interview to Russia's Channel 1; said he knew the plane would crash after running off of the runway and taking off leaning on a side.

Roose13 10-13-2011 12:37 PM

Is Danny Briere a Flyers foster parent? http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...ll|text|News|s

First G and now Couturier haha

~Crashintome89~ 10-13-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 13015445)

I'll take it. Briere is a great guy. He leveled Giroux (although I don't know how much work was really needed in the first place), and probably JVR as well in the locker room. He knows what it takes to win and he always puts team first. Couturier has a lot to learn from Briere, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

fonzz41 10-13-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13015461)
I'll take it. Briere is a great guy. He leveled Giroux (although I don't know how much work was really needed in the first place), and probably JVR as well in the locker room. He knows what it takes to win and he always puts team first. Couturier has a lot to learn from Briere, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

More like Giroux leveled him.

~Crashintome89~ 10-13-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 13015543)
More like Giroux leveled him.

That's OMGCG to you, good sir.

fonzz41 10-13-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13015837)
That's OMGCG to you, good sir.

If OMGCG punched you in the face, you would have to fight off the urge to thank him.

bonzo48280 10-13-2011 03:04 PM

First Hawks game of the season tonight. Gonna love seeing me some Andrew Ladd. Won't be to many games this season thanks to medic school, but I'll make this one count...with a win