Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Rebecca De Mornay 07-19-2013 05:50 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I think as a fan of CBJ I'm cleary out of my element talking about playoff appearances.

Alazais 07-19-2013 06:15 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I think I'm okay with calling it the Metro division. It's what they call the Subway in Montreal. It sounds a little more classy, but Metropolitan division sounds ridiculous.

efraser77 07-19-2013 09:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Hey all, haven't posted in a while (this is my first in the new thread) but I'm in San Jose at the Sharks training facility right now for an exhibition that involves several former Sharks including Nabokov and Owen Nolan against a Russian team that includes Valeri Bure, Darius Kasparaitis and Alexei Yashin. And Phil Esposito is here and my son just got his autograph.

Roose13 07-19-2013 11:22 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
That's some great stuff. Your son will have an awesome memory to keep with him for a long long time.

Roose13 07-20-2013 12:07 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Anyone else notice the new NHL divisions kinda spell out CUP?

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-cont...3.24.05-PM.png

JRS1386 07-20-2013 12:50 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Why the fuck are they watching me pee

efraser77 07-20-2013 01:13 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Yashin and Nabby are apparently good friends, spent the entire first intermission chatting on the bench. Yashin then promptly scored on Nabby early in the second and lovingly patted his head.

Nolan and Alex Korulyuk scored the Sharks' only goals, Russia won 6-2, which wasn't surprising.

aclark0622 07-20-2013 09:59 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
The New Yorks should've gone to the Northeast. I get the preserving rivalries angle but those Florida teams are just ridiculous, especially when you put it on a map.

~Crashintome89~ 07-20-2013 10:14 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
looks like the Midwest division is sniffing some Central bootie.

jackisback24 07-20-2013 10:47 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14737956)
Anyone else notice the new NHL divisions kinda spell out CUP?

http://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-cont...3.24.05-PM.png

that's like saying the land between Hudson River and East River looks like the shape of a leg and foot.

http://dabrownstein.files.wordpress....ni-spa-3lg.jpg

Roose13 07-20-2013 11:11 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Not really

TMoore4075 07-20-2013 12:08 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/7...-to-back-games

Since so much had been talked about travel here is the breakdown. It also shows past years travels too but not including last year's since it was so screwy. Obviously some East teams travel a little more with playing all the West teams. Surprised how little Minnesota's travel changes.

~Crashintome89~ 07-20-2013 02:17 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
coots signs two-year extension.

uro55 07-20-2013 02:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Need to go back to old school conference/division names.

Roose13 07-20-2013 02:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Two years, $3.5 million for Sean Couturier.

salrx95 07-20-2013 04:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Away for the weekend with the wife but just stopping in to say metropolitan sucks. Bring back the Patrick division!!

HallowBillies7 07-20-2013 05:46 PM

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/m/r...at-td-tonight/

So awesome lol

Roose13 07-20-2013 06:04 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Well done, Boston :lol:lol

efraser77 07-20-2013 06:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
:lol

Last night at that Sharks event some girl in front of me had a Believe tour shirt on.

jackisback24 07-21-2013 10:44 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14738757)

ESPN has it, too.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...-justin-bieber

DmBand801 07-21-2013 01:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
The Bruins are brilliant :lol:lol:lol

Roose13 07-21-2013 04:07 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I was looking through a bunch of old stories I wrote and found this on a 13-year-old hockey player named Troy Henley from Paulsboro, NJ (born in Philly). He's now 16 and was drafted in the second round by the Ottawa 67's of the OHL back in April. Glad to see he's still on the right path.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...or-ice-hockey/

Roose13 07-22-2013 01:19 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14739922)
I was looking through a bunch of old stories I wrote and found this on a 13-year-old hockey player named Troy Henley from Paulsboro, NJ (born in Philly). He's now 16 and was drafted in the second round by the Ottawa 67's of the OHL back in April. Glad to see he's still on the right path.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/...or-ice-hockey/

He was also selected to the U-17 team for the US, which is a sweet fucking honor.

~Crashintome89~ 07-22-2013 04:05 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Someone told me that Jagr is holding off from signing with the Devils because he's hoping that the Flyers will offer him a contract.

Yes, please.

Roose13 07-22-2013 11:35 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
No, please.

kev87lads 07-22-2013 11:37 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Maybe, please.

Roose13 07-22-2013 11:38 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
He doesn't belong on the Flyers top 6 and would be useless on their third line. It would also take ice time away from Brayden Schenn if he does crack the top 6. Plus they're over the cap limit.

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 11:48 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
He's supposed to sign with the Devils today from the last few tweets I have seen. I dunno why a team like the Flyers would want him. How much better does he make them? It'll be for one year too. I don't see them as a Cup contender so why waste your time on him for one year? This team needs to look beyond Oct-April of the 2014 season.

unccrombie 07-22-2013 11:56 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
rangers start the year on a 9 game road trip that includes PHX, SJ, LA, ANA, WASH, STL, DET :lol could easily start the year 2-7

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 12:10 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 14740918)
rangers start the year on a 9 game road trip that includes PHX, SJ, LA, ANA, WASH, STL, DET :lol could easily start the year 2-7

Tough start but that also means it's a lot lighter later in the year.

kev87lads 07-22-2013 12:14 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14740880)
He doesn't belong on the Flyers top 6 and would be useless on their third line. It would also take ice time away from Brayden Schenn if he does crack the top 6. Plus they're over the cap limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14740901)
He's supposed to sign with the Devils today from the last few tweets I have seen. I dunno why a team like the Flyers would want him. How much better does he make them? It'll be for one year too. I don't see them as a Cup contender so why waste your time on him for one year? This team needs to look beyond Oct-April of the 2014 season.

Oh, I totally agree with you guys. I was just being the middle guy smartass. Jagr should have been on the Flyers last year. He has no business on this team anymore.

unccrombie 07-22-2013 12:15 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14740938)
Tough start but that also means it's a lot lighter later in the year.

was supposed to be that way this year, too. we'll see

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 12:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 14740956)
Oh, I totally agree with you guys. I was just being the middle guy smartass. Jagr should have been on the Flyers last year. He has no business on this team anymore.

Don't worry he's in Jersey now. He'll totally replace Kovy.

kev87lads 07-22-2013 12:42 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
^ True. Broduer and Jagr will lead them to yet another Cup. As a Flyers fan, that pleases me. And by pleases me, I mean, makes me want to jump out of my window here at work.

lockman21 07-22-2013 12:47 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Goalies Team Canada has invited to camp:

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Mike Smith
Corey Crawford

unccrombie 07-22-2013 12:50 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
i hope luongo crushes it

Roose13 07-22-2013 12:55 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Same. I really hope Luongo wins the Vezina this season. I've always liked him

bonzo48280 07-22-2013 02:45 PM

Luongo
Price
Crow

I've really come around to Luongo. I like him a lot.

HallowBillies7 07-22-2013 02:47 PM

I couldn't stand Luongo during the 2011 finals, but his tweets have kind of won me over he's hilarious

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 03:12 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
A lot of people out there surprised Marty didn't get an invite to Canada's camp. Am I the only one who isn't surprised? He's still a quality goalie but he was injured last year, getting old and lost the job in Vancouver 4 years ago.

swordo84 07-22-2013 03:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14741439)
A lot of people out there surprised Marty didn't get an invite to Canada's camp. Am I the only one who isn't surprised? He's still a quality goalie but he was injured last year, getting old and lost the job in Vancouver 4 years ago.

I'm more shocked Cam Ward and Devin Dubnyk didn't get an invite.

I always love this list, because it reassures me that Canada's "b" team could still beat any other "a" team thrown it's way.

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 03:19 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14741446)
I'm more shocked Cam Ward and Devin Dubnyk didn't get an invite.

I always love this list, because it reassures me that Canada's "b" team could still beat any other "a" team thrown it's way.

Normally wouldn't be surprised Dubnyk not being invited but with Holtby being invited I am. Ward I very much am surprised.

I know a lot of people will question stuff, but they were 4 years ago too and that turned out well. However, if they don't recover after the loss to the US we wouldn't be saying it worked out. A fine line between great job and wanting someones head.

~Crashintome89~ 07-22-2013 03:24 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I see no Alexandre Daigle on that list.

Not impressed.

lockman21 07-22-2013 03:30 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14741446)
I'm more shocked Cam Ward and Devin Dubnyk didn't get an invite.

I always love this list, because it reassures me that Canada's "b" team could still beat any other "a" team thrown it's way.

I think Ward over Holtby makes sense. Maybe they saw this picture and just hoped he'd bring some girls with him to camp:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/B...LiFxlN7U9x.jpg

But I'm gonna disagree with you here...the USA team has by far the best group between the pipes. Canada's "B" team that surpasses most "A" squads is their group of forwards...certainly not goaltenders.

lockman21 07-22-2013 03:31 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'm guessing you all saw this?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...on-Camp/Roster

....that list of forwards....my God......

swordo84 07-22-2013 03:41 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741483)
I think Ward over Holtby makes sense. Maybe they saw this picture and just hoped he'd bring some girls with him to camp:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/B...LiFxlN7U9x.jpg

But I'm gonna disagree with you here...the USA team has by far the best group between the pipes. Canada's "B" team that surpasses most "A" squads is their group of forwards.and d-men..certainly not goaltenders.

Fair .

lockman21 07-22-2013 03:51 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...79639921164289

I would too, Pierre. I would too.

Roose13 07-22-2013 03:56 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741486)
I'm guessing you all saw this?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...on-Camp/Roster

....that list of forwards....my God......

Holy shit:eek

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 03:57 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741486)
I'm guessing you all saw this?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...on-Camp/Roster

....that list of forwards....my God......

At least they can't all play....
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741538)

You'd have your ex-husband Bolland on there too.

swordo84 07-22-2013 03:58 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Trying to come up with my 12 forwards for Canada. This is impossible.

lockman21 07-22-2013 04:08 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
:lol No Bolland. Can't agitate as much in the Olympics.

I can't believe Benn didn't get an invite. That guy is overlooked so much it's ridiculous. How did fuckin' Marchand get an invite, but Benn didn't?

swordo84 07-22-2013 04:13 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741583)
:lol No Bolland. Can't agitate as much in the Olympics.

I can't believe Benn didn't get an invite. That guy is overlooked so much it's ridiculous. How did fuckin' Marchand get an invite, but Benn didn't?

Yup, I'd have Spezza come out over Marchand too.

Roose13 07-22-2013 04:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14741556)
Trying to come up with my 12 forwards for Canada. This is impossible.

No shit hahaha

swordo84 07-22-2013 04:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 14741597)
No shit hahaha

The best I could do was get it down to 15 or 16 guys, and said "There is no way I'm cutting that guy"

Edit: Apparently Stevie Y is thinking the same
@reporterchris Canada will bring 14 forwards to Sochi, according to Steve Yzerman.

lockman21 07-22-2013 04:40 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Here's my thought:

Forwards:

Eric Staal - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Rick Nash - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
John Tavares - Patrice Bergeron - Cory Perry
Patrick Sharp - Ryan Getzlaf - Logan Couture

Mike Richards/Martin St. Louis

Defenseman:

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Kris Letang - Drew Doughty
Marc Staal - Brent Seabrook

PK Subban/Alex Pietrangelo

Goaltenders:

Roberto Luongo
Corey Crawford
Carey Price

That's what I got it down to so far.

lockman21 07-22-2013 04:47 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
This is gonna be even more fun:

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...1?referrer_id=

FUCK YEAH BRANDON SAAD!

TMoore4075 07-22-2013 04:58 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741644)
This is gonna be even more fun:

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...1?referrer_id=

FUCK YEAH BRANDON SAAD!

Some names surprise me on that list but so did some in 2010 and I was thinking, we're gonna get killed, but they put a good team together then so gonna reserve judgement until later.

lockman21 07-22-2013 05:21 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I love the idea of Yandle being paired with Suter.

hailtopitt 07-22-2013 05:28 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
sharp-getzlaf-couture as a possible 4th line for canada

fucking gross

the hopeful fans in sochi might be disappointed...

lockman21 07-22-2013 05:34 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I mean, if the top line in Russia can gel, it's the scariest line in the Olympics...

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Malkin

wuuuuuuuuut

~Crashintome89~ 07-22-2013 05:49 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14741661)
Some names surprise me on that list but so did some in 2010 and I was thinking, we're gonna get killed, but they put a good team together then so gonna reserve judgement until later.

I'm just glad Brian Burke has a role in the team again. USA was smart four years ago by putting a TEAM on the ice.

Yeah, Canada is unbelievable but it's all about team chemistry.

UCFish 07-22-2013 06:04 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14741661)
Some names surprise me on that list but so did some in 2010 and I was thinking, we're gonna get killed, but they put a good team together then so gonna reserve judgement until later.

This is exactly how I feel right now about it :thumbsup

lockman21 07-22-2013 06:07 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14741661)
Some names surprise me on that list but so did some in 2010 and I was thinking, we're gonna get killed, but they put a good team together then so gonna reserve judgement until later.

Ehhhhhh, not really. A lot of those names are just for the experience they want to give these guys. The core remains the same.

Kane, Kesler, Brown, Parise, Suter, Callahan, Johnson, etc.

Guys like Leddy, Saad, etc. won't make the actual roster, but it's good to get them in there when they are young.

DmBand801 07-22-2013 06:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14740964)
Don't worry he's in Jersey now. He'll totally replace Kovy.

How can you not be on board with this signing for the Devils? One year deal, and he'll bring a tremendous boost to the PP.

Also doesn't hurt to have a name that the team can market to the casual fan base.

DmBand801 07-22-2013 06:39 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 14741044)
^ True. Broduer and Jagr will lead them to yet another Cup. As a Flyers fan, that pleases me. And by pleases me, I mean, makes me want to jump out of my window here at work.

Don't forget Corey Schneider. You know, the franchise goaltender we fleeced from Vancouver on draft day while the Flyers remain in goaltender purgatory.

:hug

kev87lads 07-22-2013 08:31 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DmBand801 (Post 14741890)
Don't forget Corey Schneider. You know, the franchise goaltender we fleeced from Vancouver on draft day while the Flyers remain in goaltender purgatory.

:hug

Agreed about what the flyers are as it relates to goaltending. But. I'm not sold on Schneider. Do I wish the flyers made a deal to have him? Sure. But I'm not sold in the guy as a whole. He's a wait and see for me.

TMoore4075 07-23-2013 09:16 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
So looks like I'll have a chance to purchase Winter Classic tickets this afternoon. I'm not sure if I'm gonna do it or not. Expensive for crap seats. Well most seats will be crap and I'm sure season ticket holders got the good ones already. I'll see what's available at 2pm I guess. I'll have much better seats at home on my couch.

~Crashintome89~ 07-23-2013 10:49 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
get my tickets today in about a hour. Should I see Los Angeles/Rangers or Chicago/Detroit?

TMoore4075 07-23-2013 10:51 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'd do Chicago and Detroit but of course that's me. Kings would be cool but Rangers are just eh to me personally.

Rebecca De Mornay 07-23-2013 10:53 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Surprised Dubinsky didn't get an invite

DynastyDrummer1 07-23-2013 11:27 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14741644)
This is gonna be even more fun:

http://olympics.usahockey.com/news_a...1?referrer_id=

FUCK YEAH BRANDON SAAD!

I'm surprised to see that Jason Pominville isn't on that list......

Roose13 07-23-2013 01:08 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Happy for JvR

Alazais 07-23-2013 06:38 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Yay for JVR! His play won me over last year. He doesn't play nearly as physical as I'd like a man of his size to play but he plays with tons of heart and will drive to the net at every opportunity.

Roose13 07-23-2013 08:11 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 14744278)
Yay for JVR! His play won me over last year. He doesn't play nearly as physical as I'd like a man of his size to play but he plays with tons of heart and will drive to the net at every opportunity.

Everything I noticed in Philly. Do I want him to be more physical? Yup, especially at his size. But the kid played his balls off here and I will always have love for the kid. He's also a Jersey kid

dduncan6er 07-23-2013 08:20 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I hope JVR cuts back on the diving a bit if he's going to be wearing a USA sweater.

HallowBillies7 07-24-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 14744430)
I hope JVR cuts back on the diving a bit if he's going to be wearing a USA sweater.

Seriously, I always liked the guy in Philly. This year in the first round was ridiculous though.

~Crashintome89~ 07-24-2013 01:13 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WedvOdw-eG8 in the best defensive play thread. Can't wait for the bedlam to start. :lol

lockman21 07-24-2013 01:22 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14746188)
I just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WedvOdw-eG8 in the best defensive play thread. Can't wait for the bedlam to start. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWEJa17GBk

TMoore4075 07-24-2013 01:32 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbu3M-HTRdY

and for Chris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8vQ-dg64k

That ones not as good as the blocked shots but still had post it.

lockman21 07-24-2013 01:35 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Fuck...that shift still gives me nightmares. Fuckin' Cam Barker...

I still love this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GClclAQfXK8

When the UC was still the UC, and before it became the winter version of Wrigley Field (during the regular season).

Roose13 07-24-2013 01:37 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Blocking shots instantly makes me think of Lappy :(

TMoore4075 07-24-2013 01:57 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14746251)
Fuck...that shift still gives me nightmares. Fuckin' Cam Barker...

I still love this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GClclAQfXK8

When the UC was still the UC, and before it became the winter version of Wrigley Field (during the regular season).

That was a really good game. Started out crappy for me but then it became fun late in the 2nd period.

aeroshady 07-24-2013 02:03 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Already getting impatient for hockey to be back. I was just really looking over the Rangers schedule today and it is just sinking in that having Detroit in the East means we get to play them several times this year! That's pretty sweet.

I am also really looking forward to the Rangers Preseason game in Vegas.

lockman21 07-24-2013 04:40 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'm bored, so fuck you guys if this is too early: (Conference champion in bold, X marks WC teams

Worst Division ever full of cheaters, divers, and assholes:

Kings
Sharks
Canucks
Oilers - X
Ducks - X
Coyotes
Flames

Matty VS Chris made up rivalry Division:

Blues
Blackhawks
Stars
Jets
Wild
Avalanche
Predators

Old Man Tim can finally stay awake for games Division:

Red Wings
Senators
Bruins
Canadiens - X
Lightning
Maple Leafs
Sabres
Panthers

Pierre McGuire's boner Division:

Penguins
Rangers
Blue Jackets
Capitals - X
Hurricanes
Islanders
Flyers
Devils

TMoore4075 07-24-2013 04:50 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Old Man Tim can finally stay awake for games Division:

Love it! lol

Alazais 07-24-2013 05:51 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Leafs re-sign Paul Ranger for a 1 year 1.0 Mil. contract. I like this a lot. He had a great year in the minors last year and I think he can be a bit of a hidden gem if he can get back to anything close to what he was in Tampa Bay. I think it spells the end for Fraser who I really liked as a bottom pairing guy but he can sneak into the top 4 and really succeed (so I think).

fonzz41 07-25-2013 11:16 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Finally back! Chris FB'd me the link to the US camp roster... Interesting. Here's the roster I posted back in May. I still think they could win gold if they went this route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14568792)
I still like most of my picks, but if I were to do it today, it would be:

David Backes
Dustin Brown
Ryan Callahan
Alex Galchenyuk
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Phil Kessel
David Legwand
TJ Oshie
Zach Parise
Bobby Ryan
Paul Stastny
James van Riemsdyk

Zach Bogosian
Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Ryan McDonagh
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan Suter
Keith Yandle

Craig Anderson
Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick

The only guy on my roster who ended up not being invited to the camp was Legwand. Understandable, as he's not exactly a big name guy. I like him because of his veteran sauce, great defensive skills, size, and ability to pot a few when needs be. In my book, the perfect 4th line center for Team USA. BUT, if I had to replace him with one of the guys on the current camp roster, I think I'd go with Abdelkader. Yes, Abdelkader. The team has enough stars, and Abs pretty much checks off all the boxes I just listed for Legwand.

I've got a Team Canada roster floating around these parts somewhere, but haven't taken the time to find it yet. May have to do that just to see where my brain was at back then. Love me some roster speculation talk!

TMoore4075 07-25-2013 11:19 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14746797)
Matty VS Chris made up rivalry Division:

Blues
Blackhawks
Stars
Jets
Wild
Avalanche
Predators

I like what that division could do though. I mean it's a lot of the old Norris. Obviously minus two of the 4 good teams from the 90's of the Leafs and Wings but still could be fun.

fonzz41 07-25-2013 11:23 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14746797)

Matty VS Chris made up rivalry Division:

Blues
Blackhawks
Stars
Jets
Wild
Avalanche
Predators

Oh yeah, I was going to comment on this, thanks for reminding me Tim.

Here's what I was going to post: :lol :lol

Word.

lockman21 07-25-2013 11:39 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14748926)
Finally back! Chris FB'd me the link to the US camp roster... Interesting. Here's the roster I posted back in May. I still think they could win gold if they went this route.


The only guy on my roster who ended up not being invited to the camp was Legwand. Understandable, as he's not exactly a big name guy. I like him because of his veteran sauce, great defensive skills, size, and ability to pot a few when needs be. In my book, the perfect 4th line center for Team USA. BUT, if I had to replace him with one of the guys on the current camp roster, I think I'd go with Abdelkader. Yes, Abdelkader. The team has enough stars, and Abs pretty much checks off all the boxes I just listed for Legwand.

I've got a Team Canada roster floating around these parts somewhere, but haven't taken the time to find it yet. May have to do that just to see where my brain was at back then. Love me some roster speculation talk!

I dig that roster, Matty. I think Stastny needs to have a good first half of next year to prove he belongs, though. He may be playing himself out of a roster spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14748935)
I like what that division could do though. I mean it's a lot of the old Norris. Obviously minus two of the 4 good teams from the 90's of the Leafs and Wings but still could be fun.

Oh, for sure. Blues/Blackhawks is always fun. I think having the Blackhawks-North (aka Jets) in the same division will be fun too.

One thing I noticed when doing predictions though, is how much more insanely difficult it will be to make the playoffs in the East than the West. Those 2 less teams makes a huge difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14748952)
Oh yeah, I was going to comment on this, thanks for reminding me Tim.

Here's what I was going to post: :lol :lol

Word.

:lol Might as well come up with better division names since the ones the NHL came up with suck so much.

fonzz41 07-25-2013 11:42 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14749008)
I dig that roster, Matty. I think Stastny needs to have a good first half of next year to prove he belongs, though. He may be playing himself out of a roster spot.

Agree. At this point, he's third line. And perhaps that's where he belongs with the way his style of play is evolving. He's been playing with a lot more of a physical edge and is solid in his zone. Not an excuse for his lack of offensive production, as he's still got the talent to do more there, but perhaps his niche on an olympic caliber roster would be more defensive than offensive. Bottom six.

lockman21 07-25-2013 11:48 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'm just most excited about Yandle and Suter playing together. I don't see how you can ignore that pairing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92wbX_Mrhrk

playing with this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V86cj9iOXfY

Sick.

TMoore4075 07-25-2013 11:52 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14749008)
Oh, for sure. Blues/Blackhawks is always fun. I think having the Blackhawks-North (aka Jets) in the same division will be fun too.

One thing I noticed when doing predictions though, is how much more insanely difficult it will be to make the playoffs in the East than the West. Those 2 less teams makes a huge difference.

It's not just the teams it's who those teams are. I mean if teams like the Flames were coming over no one would care. Jackets are a team on the rise and the Wings are the Wings. If you were one of the teams at the bottom of the playoff picture or just outside you aren't gonna be happy about this. I am interested to see how the Caps do now that they don't have the Panthers, Canes, Jets/Thrashers and Lightning to beat up on all year.

fonzz41 07-25-2013 11:55 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
While I love roster speculation, I'm not so keen on lines because I really like to see how guys play together beforehand. With Olympic-caliber rosters, it's much more complicated than looking at stats and putting the highest scoring guys on the top line, next highest on the second, and so on. You've really got to see who is going to complement each other the best and go that route, regardless of whether it's the 1st line or the 4th line.

BUT, if I were to take a stab at it, I think it would go like this:

Ryan-Parise-Kane
Brown-JVR-Kessel
Oshie-Kesler-Callahan
Legwand-Stastny-Backes
Alt: Galchenyuk

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Johnson-Johnson
Alt: Bogosian

Quick
Miller
Anderson

Yeah, some guys are out of position, but that's how it goes with rosters like this. I believe those lines contain the right amount of grit combined with speed, and complementary pieces to make each line dangerous in its own way. But that's what's great about olympic rosters... the ones I project could completely suck. Stastny might find some uncanny chemistry with Patrick Kane and Ryan Callahan (just an example) and completely change everything. Exciting stuff. :thumbsup

EDIT: Chris, just saw your post about Yandle/Suter. Great minds!

lockman21 07-25-2013 11:57 AM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14749046)
It's not just the teams it's who those teams are. I mean if teams like the Flames were coming over no one would care. Jackets are a team on the rise and the Wings are the Wings. If you were one of the teams at the bottom of the playoff picture or just outside you aren't gonna be happy about this. I am interested to see how the Caps do now that they don't have the Panthers, Canes, Jets/Thrashers and Lightning to beat up on all year.

Exactly. The Old Man Tim Division is honestly really, really tough. There are two clear cut bottom feeders, and then the rest are legitimate playoff teams. One of them can't make it, likely two of them won't.

Then the other division is the same story. Probably 1 (maybe 2 if you count the Flyers) bottom feeders, and then the rest you could make a legitimate argument for the other 6 to be legit playoff teams. Carolina is apparently close to signing Morrow, and I think they're going to make a run next year at a playoff spot.

It will be ridiculous in the East, and the West is basically a cake walk to the playoffs for some teams.

lockman21 07-25-2013 12:06 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14749056)
While I love roster speculation, I'm not so keen on lines because I really like to see how guys play together beforehand. With Olympic-caliber rosters, it's much more complicated than looking at stats and putting the highest scoring guys on the top line, next highest on the second, and so on. You've really got to see who is going to complement each other the best and go that route, regardless of whether it's the 1st line or the 4th line.

BUT, if I were to take a stab at it, I think it would go like this:

Ryan-Parise-Kane
Brown-JVR-Kessel
Oshie-Kesler-Callahan
Legwand-Stastny-Backes
Alt: Galchenyuk

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Johnson-Johnson
Alt: Bogosian

Quick
Miller
Anderson

Yeah, some guys are out of position, but that's how it goes with rosters like this. I believe those lines contain the right amount of grit combined with speed, and complementary pieces to make each line dangerous in its own way. But that's what's great about olympic rosters... the ones I project could completely suck. Stastny might find some uncanny chemistry with Patrick Kane and Ryan Callahan (just an example) and completely change everything. Exciting stuff. :thumbsup

EDIT: Chris, just saw your post about Yandle/Suter. Great minds!

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Brown-Backes-Kessel
Ryan-Callahan-Oshie
JVR-Stastny-Legwand
ALT: Saad (seriously though, probably Stepan)

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Johnson-Johnson
ALT: (NOT BYFUGLIEN) Bogosian? Martin? I don't know. Not having Rafalski is a bummer. I don't know who the 7th should be.

Quick
Miller
Anderson

lockman21 07-25-2013 12:10 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
The more and more I play defense though, the more I fall in love with guys like Yandle. That goal I posted is SO dirty. The last replay they show with him pinching and going top shelf is just ridiculous.

fonzz41 07-25-2013 12:16 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14749088)
Parise-Kesler-Kane
Brown-Backes-Kessel
Ryan-Callahan-Oshie
JVR-Stastny-Legwand
ALT: Saad (seriously though, probably Stepan)

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Johnson-Johnson
ALT: (NOT BYFUGLIEN) Bogosian? Martin? I don't know. Not having Rafalski is a bummer. I don't know who the 7th should be.

Quick
Miller
Anderson

:thumbsup I can see Saad being a really good international player (probably because he already has been!). That's the great thing about these rosters, I like my line combos, but I love yours too!

Go Bogosian for your 7th. Rounding into an Adam Foote-ish dude. Needs to access that mean streak a little more, but would be effective against the not-so-physical European teams. And yeah, been saying for at least the last couple years that Yandle is the REAL DEAL.

~Crashintome89~ 07-25-2013 12:30 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
I'd interchange Callahan with Kesler on that first line. Callahan has more of a scoring touch. Kesler would be my go-to for a shutdown 3rd line center.

Does Brown strictly play left wing? I could have sworn he saw some time at center.

TMoore4075 07-25-2013 12:34 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14749064)
Exactly. The Old Man Tim Division is honestly really, really tough. There are two clear cut bottom feeders, and then the rest are legitimate playoff teams. One of them can't make it, likely two of them won't.

Then the other division is the same story. Probably 1 (maybe 2 if you count the Flyers) bottom feeders, and then the rest you could make a legitimate argument for the other 6 to be legit playoff teams. Carolina is apparently close to signing Morrow, and I think they're going to make a run next year at a playoff spot.

It will be ridiculous in the East, and the West is basically a cake walk to the playoffs for some teams.

Buffalo and Florida?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.