Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   **Official Drive-By Truckers Thread** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276734)

AlexK79 04-09-2010 09:27 AM

**Official Drive-By Truckers Thread**

Searched and can't believe we don't have a thread yet on this incredibly kick ass band. (If we do, my apologies, I couldn't find it.)

So this thread will be for all discussion of the awesomeness that is DBT.

I'm going to see them for the first time tonight in Chicago and couldn't be more excited. The new album 'The Big To Do' is fantastic and I can't wait to hear some of these tunes live along with some classic favorites.

What's your favorite DBT song? Album?

Proudest_Raider 04-09-2010 01:33 PM

Re: **Official Drive-By Truckers Thread**

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276288

Great minds think alike. The weak search function probably didn't pick up on it. To answer your question, though, I have to say right now, Decoration Day is my favorite song. And I love The Dirty South as an album. These guys are from pretty close to where I'm from so they have a few songs about stuff relating to my hometown. Specifically, "The Wig He Made Her Wear." It's about the Winkler murder trial. The parsonage where the murder happened is actually on my street. I was in my senior year of high school when it happened and I remember having no idea why there were news vans all over my damn street. Also, they have several songs about Buford Pusser who was the county sheriff back in the day--long before my time.

AlexK79 04-09-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proudest_Raider (Post 10973150)
http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=276288

Great minds think alike. The weak search function probably didn't pick up on it. To answer your question, though, I have to say right now, Decoration Day is my favorite song. And I love The Dirty South as an album. These guys are from pretty close to where I'm from so they have a few songs about stuff relating to my hometown. Specifically, "The Wig He Made Her Wear." It's about the Winkler murder trial. The parsonage where the murder happened is actually on my street. I was in my senior year of high school when it happened and I remember having no idea why there were news vans all over my damn street. Also, they have several songs about Buford Pusser who was the county sheriff back in the day--long before my time.

Doh! And you just made it a few days ago too. :lol

My favorite album I think is a toss up between 'Southern Rock Opera', 'Decoration Day' and 'The Dirty South'. I don't know if I can pick one out.

My favorite tune changes day to day. Right now I am really loving 'Outfit', 'Ronnie and Neil', 'Hell No I Ain't Happy', 'The Righteous Path', 'Fourth Night of My Drinking'....I could just go on and on. It's funny because being from the suburbs of Chicago, I don't have much in common with the subject matter of most of their tunes, and yet I always find so much stuff in there that is relatable to me.

Patterson Hood I really believe is one of America's best songwriters that gets virtually ZERO credit. Cooley and Isbell are great too, and Shonna Tucker has really showed up with some quality tunes on the last two albums. I'd also like to :hump.

Proudest_Raider 04-09-2010 05:59 PM

I'm a big Isbell fan. I feel like they lost a lot when he decided to go his own separate way. Now I still love the Truckers, but I feel like they were better with Isbell. I don't know if you've checked out his solo work, but you should if you haven't. He's actually playing a concert here in Murfreesboro at the end of the month so I'm pretty pumped about that. And yes you are 100% correct when you say Hood doesn't get near the credit he deserves as a songwriter. And for that matter neither does Isbell.

SqueeBaBooSquee 04-09-2010 06:05 PM

I have Decoration Day and I love it.

Revolution36 04-09-2010 07:04 PM

I saw them last week in Boston. I don't know much about them, but I went with a friend. It was a pretty solid show though, 8/10. The songs were good, but to be honest, I felt many of them sounded the same after awhile.

AlexK79 04-12-2010 07:32 AM

The show Friday night was INCREDIBLE. My first DBT live experience and they just blew me away. My buddy that came with had never heard a lick of their music and he absolutely loved the show. Great, long setlist, they came onstage a few minutes before 9:30 and played until midnight. The "encore" was really more of a 2nd set it was so long. I don't remember the set list exactly, but there were 8 songs each from 'Big To Do' and 'Southern Rock Opera' which was great. A great 'Your Daddy Hates Me' which apparently has only been played a handful of times.

I came away really convinced that these guys truly are the best rock band in America right now.

Beefsteak1138 04-12-2010 07:33 AM

Good place to start with this band? A buddy hooked me up with a bunch of their stuff.

AlexK79 04-12-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 (Post 10980654)
Good place to start with this band? A buddy hooked me up with a bunch of their stuff.

I would say 'Southern Rock Opera' or 'Decoration Day'.

'SRO' really encapsualtes a lot of what DBT are all about and probably would be their 'definitive' album. It's a 2-disc concept albums about the 'duality of the Southern thing' (as they put it) told through the story of a fictional rock band loosely based on Lynyrd Skynyrd.

'SRO' can be a bit much to swallow all at once, so if your attention span is a little shorter, maybe start with 'Decoration Day', which was the follow-up to 'SRO'. Song-wise it's probably just as strong, but obviously more concise, and is also the first album to feature Jason Isbell, who contributes a pair of knockout tracks, 'Outfit' and the title song.

jayman414 04-12-2010 09:38 AM

About time to see some more people on here finally supporting the Truckers. I believe I tried starting a thread about them as well awhile back. I have to say that I have not ever really been disappointed with one of their albums, losing Jason was really tough but I think it was for the best. The band would have had too many writers and not enough space for all of them. Jason has gone on to put out two amazing albums, both of which should be had by anyone who loves music. Since Isbell left the Truckers have kept on going really strong. I have seen both live and they are unbelievable. Jason is really cool because he plays such small venues, I got to hang out with him and his band and drink with them after the show. The Truckers are just well badass.

Favorite song by the Truckers has to be Zip City and favorite album well that changes daily.

Proudest_Raider 04-12-2010 01:00 PM

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit are going to be in Murfreesboro next week headlining a mini-festival to raise money for arthritis (it's being put on by one of the sororities here). I'm pumped.

AlexK79 04-15-2010 12:15 PM

The Chicago setlist from ninebullets.org message board. This is not in order, but its the only one I could find.

Fourth Night of My Drinking
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Your Daddy Hates Me
After The Scene Dies
I Told You So
This Fucking Job
Get Downtown
3 Dimes Down
Self Destructive Zones
Home Field Advantage
Marry Me
Puttin People On the Moon
Tornadoes
Carl Perkins Cadillac
Everybody Needs Love
Your Daddy Hates Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Sink Hole
Ronnie and Neil
Dead, Drunk & Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Women Without Whiskey
Life In The Factory
Shut Up and Get on The Plane

AlexK79 04-16-2010 10:24 AM

Oneofthesedays.org has the Chicago setlist up in correct order now. :)

Date: 2010-4-09
Venue: Vic Theatre
City: Chicago
State/Country: IL

1. The Fourth Night Of My Drinking
2. Birthday Boy
3. Girls Who Smoke
4. Life In The Factory
5. 3 Dimes Down
6. Your Daddy Hates Me
7. Self Destructive Zones
8. This Fuckin' Job
9. Get Downtown
10. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
11. After The Scene Dies
12. Ronnie and Neil
13. Marry Me
14. Dead, Drunk, and Naked
15. Guitar Man Upstairs
16. Home Field Advantage
17. Tornadoes
18. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
19. Puttin' People On The Moon

Encore:
20. You Got Another
21. Women Without Whiskey
22. Everybody Needs Love
23. Zip City
24. Sink Hole
25. Shut Up and Get On The Plane
26. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
27. Let There Be Rock

AlexK79 04-22-2010 02:40 PM

Great new interview with Patterson Hood in GQ:

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/0...y-trucker.html

jayman414 04-23-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexK79 (Post 11001441)
Oneofthesedays.org has the Chicago setlist up in correct order now. :)

Date: 2010-4-09
Venue: Vic Theatre
City: Chicago
State/Country: IL

1. The Fourth Night Of My Drinking
2. Birthday Boy
3. Girls Who Smoke
4. Life In The Factory
5. 3 Dimes Down
6. Your Daddy Hates Me
7. Self Destructive Zones
8. This Fuckin' Job
9. Get Downtown
10. (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
11. After The Scene Dies
12. Ronnie and Neil
13. Marry Me
14. Dead, Drunk, and Naked
15. Guitar Man Upstairs
16. Home Field Advantage
17. Tornadoes
18. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
19. Puttin' People On The Moon

Encore:
20. You Got Another
21. Women Without Whiskey
22. Everybody Needs Love
23. Zip City
24. Sink Hole
25. Shut Up and Get On The Plane
26. Hell No, I Ain't Happy
27. Let There Be Rock

You got yourself one hell of a show for your first DBT experience. That is an amazing encore, Women Without Whiskey and Zip City are two of my all time favorite songs. Not to mention Shut Up and Get On The Plane may have one of the best lines ever written in it, and in all honesty is there any better way to end a Truckers show than Let There Be Rock? I think not. I hope you had a good time at the show Alex.

mr.MikeD 04-23-2010 08:05 PM

never listened to them so i have no opinion on their music.

but i think world has run out of good band names.

JRod1229 04-24-2010 06:43 AM

Love, love the Truckers... thankfully they play several shows in Atlanta and Athens yearly, so I always get a chance to see em. Not a big fan of Shonna, pretty much skip her tracks.. but love me some Cooley. SRO is a hell of an album. Favorite song changes regularly, but right now probably Carl Perkins Cadillac.

Proudest_Raider 04-25-2010 01:50 AM

DBT related--Saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit tonight...Incredible show. It was a short set list because they had a time limit as to what they could perform for this benefit....But they hit all the highlights---Psycho Killer (Talking Heads cover), American Girl (Tom Petty cover), Cigarettes and Wine, God Damn Lonely Love, Decoration Day, Outfit, We Ain't Never Gonna Change, Sunstroke, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. Great damn show.

AlexK79 04-26-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayman414 (Post 11034670)
You got yourself one hell of a show for your first DBT experience. That is an amazing encore, Women Without Whiskey and Zip City are two of my all time favorite songs. Not to mention Shut Up and Get On The Plane may have one of the best lines ever written in it, and in all honesty is there any better way to end a Truckers show than Let There Be Rock? I think not. I hope you had a good time at the show Alex.

I had an absolute blast. One of the best rock shows I have seen in quite some time. And you're right, I could have written the setlist myself and it wouldn't have been that much different from what they played - just perfect.

AlexK79 04-26-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proudest_Raider (Post 11037236)
DBT related--Saw Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit tonight...Incredible show. It was a short set list because they had a time limit as to what they could perform for this benefit....But they hit all the highlights---Psycho Killer (Talking Heads cover), American Girl (Tom Petty cover), Cigarettes and Wine, God Damn Lonely Love, Decoration Day, Outfit, We Ain't Never Gonna Change, Sunstroke, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. Great damn show.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Sounds like a blast! I was curious if he did DBT stuff live or not.

AlexK79 04-30-2010 10:26 AM

Anyone know a good spot to track down some DBT tour posters? Their website only has one available...

AlexK79 04-30-2010 11:28 AM

Just ordered Patterson Hood's solo album 'Murdering Oscar (and Other Love Songs)' on vinyl from the DBT store. Cannot wait to spin this! I love that they also give you the CD with it. Double 180g vinyl in gatefold packaging AND the CD for $21, can't beat that.

AlexK79 05-03-2010 07:23 AM

'The Big To Do' is today's Deal of the Day at Amazon.com. Download the entire album for just $3.99! (Though DBT would surely prefer you get it on vinyl. :) )

ProudestAnt 05-03-2010 07:43 AM

They're not half the band they were when Jason Isbell was writing and fronting. That being said, they're still one of the better bands around...

jayman414 05-03-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudestAnt (Post 11071987)
They're not half the band they were when Jason Isbell was writing and fronting. That being said, they're still one of the better bands around...

Isbell never could have stuck around. It would have been too many creative heads and too many could be front me. I actually like the fact that we have two separate now, twice as many good bands.

AlexK79 05-03-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProudestAnt (Post 11071987)

I really disagree with this. Love Isbell's stuff, but I'd much rather have him separate from the band and getting full albums of his songs than just getting 2-3 tracks on an album fighting for space with Patterson and Cooley. Were they overall a bit stronger with Isbell? Sure. But to say they aren't half the band they were with him I think is overstating it a bit.

AlexK79 06-04-2010 11:47 AM

Just found out that DBT is doing a headline show at a little club called Otto's in DeKalb, IL on July 11th!!! SO PUMPED. Got my tickets and ready to rock!! So cool they are doing a headline set near me right in the middle of the tour opening for Tom Petty.

evjens 06-04-2010 02:18 PM

i saw them at sasquatch and i really enjoyed their set. i usually have a hard time getting into shows of bands that i'm not familiar with but they put on a great performance.

JRod1229 06-04-2010 02:32 PM

If you like this band.. check out Lucero.. you won't be disappointed.

jayman414 06-04-2010 02:58 PM

Alex you might see me at the show. How much were tickets? Also for all you Trucker fans out there Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit are playing downtown on Saturday and for only $15. Hell of a deal.