Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Away From The World (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Does Dave hate this album? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=345664)

chadizzy1 07-18-2017 01:37 PM

Does Dave hate this album?

Last Played in 2013
Broken Things - 7/24/13
Gaucho - 9/1/13

Last Played in 2014
The Riff - 7/22/14

Last Played in 2015
Sweet - 9/13/15
Belly Full - 10/21/15
Drunken Solider - 11/11/15

Last Played in 2016
Snow Outside - 7/6/16
Belly Belly Nice - 9/2/16

Last Played in 2017
Mercy - 4/7/17
Rooftop - 4/10/17
If Only - 6/7/17

jjr4884 07-18-2017 01:38 PM

Re: Does Dave hate this album?

I never listen to AFTW anymore. I'm going to change that immediately. I fell in love with that album the first day I listened to it.

YouNeverKnow25 07-18-2017 01:38 PM

we can only hope

DeuceStep 07-18-2017 01:40 PM

No, he just loves the worst songs from that album, save Snow Outside, Rooftop and Belly Full, which have been played in the last year or two.

Hilly 07-18-2017 01:43 PM

People complained that BW was played too much. This is a correction.

Or it was a failed attempt to capture lightning in a bottle twice, and served as a fan-service album that just wasn't quite there. It's a shell of what the other Lillywhite albums were and lacked real inspiration. So there was not much to grab hold of in terms of a song that the band just loved. So they never made a major rotation.

camptravisr 07-18-2017 01:47 PM

Are Samurai Cop + Bismarck greater than your 2 favorite songs on AFTW? I think Dave would say yes.

KevinTH 07-21-2017 08:48 AM

I really like Away From the World. It makes for a nice fall album.

I'd be cool with the following in regular rotation:

Mercy
Rooftop
Broken Things
Drunken Solider
Snow Outside
Belly Belly Nice

Sweet and Gaucho are good and I would put a level below "regular rotation". The rest would be nice to see sprinkled in sets here and there. Belly Full is harmless, but I don't need to see it in a main set. It works in the first spot of the encore though. If Only and The Riff I can take or leave. I like The Riff up until the guitar solo. I think that solo sounds incredibly cheesy.

TheLastPig 07-21-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 16841066)
I really like Away From the World. It makes for a nice fall album.

I'd be cool with the following in regular rotation:

Mercy
Rooftop
Broken Things
Drunken Solider
Snow Outside

Belly Belly Nice

Sweet and Gaucho are good and I would put a level below "regular rotation". The rest would be nice to see sprinkled in sets here and there. Belly Full is harmless, but I don't need to see it in a main set. It works in the first spot of the encore though. If Only and The Riff I can take or leave. I like The Riff up until the guitar solo. I think that solo sounds incredibly cheesy.

Bolded are the only 3 I care to hear.

currupt3d** 07-21-2017 01:01 PM

Broken Things is top 30, totally deserves to be in regular rotation

tyler3440 07-21-2017 01:29 PM

I got the last version of the riff, that's cool

Madnana 07-22-2017 12:47 AM

Drunken Solider kicks ass! Love that mellow jam that just fades away...

garagebrothers 07-24-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madnana (Post 16841669)
Drunken Solider kicks ass! Love that mellow jam that just fades away...

Definitely reminds me of Pink Floyd.

Sniper15 07-24-2017 09:41 PM

Most of these songs just don't work in a large venue setting and never resonated with the audience. Almost all of the songs on this album spawn a massive crowd bathroom/beer run exodus. For a mellow song to work in a huge venue it needs to have great singalong lyrics and eventually morph into something dynamic (e.g. Grace is Gone, Typical Situation, etc.) Unlike previous efforts, most of the AFTW songs never really evolved in the live setting. It seems like the band didn't really feel like investing time into the songs and developing jams. I think it's obvious that Dave doesn't think highly of the record.

TwoStep2888 07-24-2017 09:48 PM

I love AFTW but yeah it seems the band doesn't care for it much

crashintonickdm 07-24-2017 09:57 PM

Soldier and snow outside infinitely better than anything on BW.

crashintonickdm 07-24-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camptravisr (Post 16838572)
Are Samurai Cop + Bismarck greater than your 2 favorite songs on AFTW? I think Dave would say yes.

And I would say hell no. I like cop, indifferent on Bismarck

robby_idol 07-25-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16838562)
Or it was a failed attempt to capture lightning in a bottle twice, and served as a fan-service album that just wasn't quite there. It's a shell of what the other Lillywhite albums were and lacked real inspiration. So there was not much to grab hold of in terms of a song that the band just loved. So they never made a major rotation.

I've never agreed with Hilly so much. It's a weak album of weak material. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Drunken Soldier needs a lot more play for me, though.

dmb2632 07-25-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby_idol (Post 16843555)
I've never agreed with Hilly so much. It's a weak album of weak material. It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Drunken Soldier needs a lot more play for me, though.

See, I love Drunken Soldier musically, but lyrically it puts me off in the same sort of cheesy way that Plastic Girl bothered me with the generic carpe diem themes.

eggsrsweet 07-25-2017 03:49 PM

Drunken Soldier some hot dusty trash.

The only good songs from the album are Sweet and The Riff.

TheLastPig 07-26-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb2632 (Post 16843912)
See, I love Drunken Soldier musically, but lyrically it puts me off in the same sort of cheesy way that Plastic Girl bothered me with the generic carpe diem themes.

DS music is great. Lyrics borderline ruin the song completely for me.

Utopia 07-26-2017 08:23 PM

The Riff, Broken Things and Snow Outside are excellent songs.

Drunken Soldier is very forced. Sweet and Belly Full are simple, enjoyable tunes.

Everything else on the album is ok, but If Only, which is a snooze fest, and Belly Belly Nice, which is a worse version of Shake Me or Seven.

socopithy 07-26-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16844306)

My man :thumbsup

snuffles 07-26-2017 09:11 PM

Snow Outside off of Warehouse 10 vol 1 is one of my go to reference songs when comparing high end audio. Musically, the song is spectacular.

Off the album and in live recordings, I'm a big fan of Mercy. The raw music and lyrics work for me. I don't think I would be dancing to it at a concert but listening to it in the car, on headphones, or at home the song speaks to me.

Drunken Soldier could have used another year or two in lyric development. Musically, I like what they pulled off but lyrically the track falls way short.

crashintonickdm 07-26-2017 09:19 PM

its easy for guys like hilly to dog AFTW. because he feels like the band did it with lillywhite to simply appease the fans. thats a no no and were awful for wanting it despite the fact that the bands best work came with him at the helm in that studio.

NewBernPirate13 07-27-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16844306)

I wish the band would do instrumental takes on songs that don't quite resonate lyrically..Drunken Soldier is such a nice piece of music, it sucks that it has essentially been trashed

kingofkings 07-31-2017 07:16 AM

i personally love AFTW. it's one of the albums that i can listen to and not need to hear their live version more so. every other album, the songs appeal to me better live. i love AFTW songs live, but can listen to the album straight through and be satisfied.

paultwood1 08-02-2017 06:19 PM

Got the last version of Broken Things and The Riff. Coincidentally both in Charlotte. Charlotte must be the place Away from the World goes to die.

daveshookme 08-09-2017 12:35 PM

I miss Gaucho. That's about it. BWGGK > AFTW.

aeroshady 08-15-2017 08:53 AM

I will need to listen to this album again, but over the past few years I have realized that I much prefer BW to AFTW. I only ever listen to a few songs from it, whereas I listen to a lot of BW all the time. Also, I know I am in the minority here, but If Only is literally my favorite song from the album.

bowa36 08-19-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 16856591)
I miss Gaucho. That's about it. BWGGK > AFTW.

worst song on the album