Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

UCFish 08-28-2015 03:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

WhT? is that supposed to mean.

Disney should be nice and uncrowded (relatively) at that time for you.

TMoore4075 08-28-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16117133)
WhT? is that supposed to mean.

Disney should be nice and uncrowded (relatively) at that time for you.

Just being a smartass for the heck of it.

Yeah we're looking forward to it. I wish we could go sometime in January to be real quiet but we both work at a university so doesn't work out well.

dmbetc 08-28-2015 04:09 PM

I've been binging The West Wing (which I've never watched) and looking forward to football to get me thru the rest of the off season.

Nice sig JRS :lol

JRS1386 08-28-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16117172)
I've been binging The West Wing (which I've never watched) and looking forward to football to get me thru the rest of the off season.

Nice sig JRS :lol

Yea glad I caught it I very rarely venture into that area of the boards

barbogast 08-28-2015 05:27 PM

I've been binging through Orange is the New Black this month. Slowly binging so I can stretch it as long as possible, but I'm through 2 seasons already so I doubt one more will take me all the way to hockey season.

Wish the Walking Dead spinoff wasn't shaping up to be terrible.

I would be excited about football but the Redskins are just so unbelievably pathetic I lose interest pretty fast, and I'm not enough of a fan of the sport to invest time in regular season games I don't have a rooting interest in.

Tim, Mr Robot was indeed very good. Would recommend, easily the best show that came out this summer. Excited for the finale next week.

barbogast 08-28-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16117056)
Also, he will be back in time to see the Caps blow another playoff series, so he has that going for him.

Best time of the year!

kev87lads 08-28-2015 07:08 PM

If you like weirdness and comedy, Wet Hot American Summer is worth checking out. Watch the 2001 movie before the 8 episode 2015 series.

lockman21 08-28-2015 09:11 PM

It does seem excessive...but that's not my call, I guess.

salrx95 08-28-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16116957)
Al Arbour has passed away. Condolences to our lone Isles fan in here.

Thank you for the mention. I am surprised it didn't get more mention in here as he is the 2nd greatest coach in the history of the league. He won 4 cups as a player and 4 as coach and is 2nd all time in games coached, wins, playoff wins.

He was truly a legend.

If you have 7 minutes, this is a great video tribute I watched just now when I got home from work

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...ow_ids=1617477

It was also nice to see so many teams give me a mention.

I just want to note all the NHL teams who took a moment today to recognize the passing of Al Arbour - the Florida Panthers, with Bill Torrey at the helm; of course, the Blues, for whom Radar was the Original Captain; along with the LA Kings; the Red Wings; Flyers; Predators; the Wild; the Leafs. All took a moment to pay their respects to the Coach, with at least a tweet. I thought that was cool.

The man was a legend. He will be missed but never forgotten.

TMoore4075 08-29-2015 08:58 AM

Also did not know Al was a Red Wing to start his career.

lockman21 08-29-2015 09:08 PM

Wanna see what Matty has to say about this order.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/20...-10-defensemen

My issues are Giordano being left off the list and Subban rated too high (but that's to be expected).

My list would be more like:

1. Keith
2. Doughty
3. Suter
4. Weber
5. McDonagh
6. Hedman
7. Karlsson
8. Josi
9. Pietrangelo
10. Giordano

fonzz41 08-30-2015 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16118193)
Wanna see what Matty has to say about this order.

Pretty good. Yeah, the Subban love no longer even surprises me, unfortunately. I like your list a lot better than theirs. :thumbsup

I have a hard time ranking players individually just because their different skillsets often makes it difficult to determine if one player is "better" than the other. But obviously some players rise above the rest. I'll just do groupings, with no particular ranking:

Certainly, my top 4 defensemen in the game would be:
Keith
Doughty
Weber
Suter
This is based on their overall ability to do EVERYTHING right.

After that, to round out the top 10:
Giordano
Karlsson
Hedman
McDonagh
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Alex Pietrangelo
Would love to keep going but I'll stop myself there.

Young stars... Give 3-ish more seasons of solid development in the NHL and they could easily crack the list:
Ekblad
Gudbranson
Barrie
Hamonic
Carlson
Spurgeon

lockman21 08-30-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16118462)
Pretty good. Yeah, the Subban love no longer even surprises me, unfortunately. I like your list a lot better than theirs. :thumbsup

I have a hard time ranking players individually just because their different skillsets often makes it difficult to determine if one player is "better" than the other. But obviously some players rise above the rest. I'll just do groupings, with no particular ranking:

Certainly, my top 4 defensemen in the game would be:
Keith
Doughty
Weber
Suter
This is based on their overall ability to do EVERYTHING right.

After that, to round out the top 10:
Giordano
Karlsson
Hedman
McDonagh
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Alex Pietrangelo
Would love to keep going but I'll stop myself there.

Young stars... Give 3-ish more seasons of solid development in the NHL and they could easily crack the list:
Ekblad
Gudbranson
Barrie
Hamonic
Carlson
Spurgeon

How did I forget OEL?! I'm ashamed of myself.

jackisback24 08-30-2015 05:44 PM

Giordano signed an extension.

salrx95 08-30-2015 10:54 PM

Nice kind words from the Great One on Arbour. I copied and pasted:

He may be known as "The Great One," but Wayne Gretzky recalls the late Al Arbour as one of the most respected men in hockey.
Gretzky, who was at The Barclays following his son-in-law, golfer Dustin Johnson, took time to reflect on Arbour, who passed away Friday.
"Oh my gosh. I don't know if hockey has ever had a classier man involved with the game. He was so well respected," Gretzky told Newsday's Mark Herrmann.
"My dad always said, one thing in life you can't do is buy respect," Gretzky said. "You have to earn respect. Al was the kind of person who everybody really liked and gravitated to, but really respected. And the game of hockey is not the same today without him. Just a good man."
Arbour is enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame - inducted in 1996 - and sits second all-time in wins and games coached in the NHL. He also coached the New York Islanders to four Stanley Cups in the 1980s.
"The hockey community is a small world," said Gretzky. "Every player knows the respect factor that people have for someone like Al Arbour - a wonderful person who got respect from everybody who played with him, against him or for him."

salrx95 08-31-2015 09:13 PM

I'd like to think there is some truth to this article.

http://thehockeywriters.com/are-the-...leeping-giant/

TMoore4075 09-01-2015 02:07 PM

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-trade-calls/

First, this shows exactly what we had said before, someone will take him eventually. Second, would they really trade him?

barbogast 09-01-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16120549)
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-trade-calls/

First, this shows exactly what we had said before, someone will take him eventually. Second, would they really trade him?

Reading stuff like "more than 5 teams contacted the Blackhawks as soon as news of the investigation broke" is a discouraging sign for the state of the world.

Like, really? As soon as the news broke? Fuck yeah, Kaner screwed up big time! Let's see if we can't pry this alleged rapist off the Hawks and add him to our roster!!! Rape shmape, have you SEEN that guy play?!

:rolleyes

UCFish 09-01-2015 08:59 PM

I absolutely think they will trade him.

I personally think he has played his last game for the Hawks regardless of what happens and if there are charges at this point.

dmbetc 09-01-2015 10:03 PM

From the reports I read, Kane has no interest in agreeing to void is no trade clause.

They certainly are keeping this investigation under the hood. I would think if he was innocent something would be said by now.

TMoore4075 09-02-2015 09:19 AM

I dunno what happens. Ya gotta imagine some kind of charges come from this with how long it's taking, at least that's my guess. If he doesn't get jail time I wonder if they keep him. I understand what the article is saying, they feel disrespected with what he said at the parade after all the help they've given him, but you won't get fair return and is that worth dumping him then? PTI talked about this last night, and I'm with Wilbon, why would you trade him now and why would anyone take him RIGHT NOW with no idea how this is gonna play out. We're only a few weeks from training camp, so what happens by then? That's my biggest question.

edit: also, I liked one of the comments on that article when someone said what do you expect a single guy with no kids to do? (not the rape just the partying) and someone said "I dunno, ask Toews." And that's right. You don't hear that shit about him.

Bron Yr Aur 09-02-2015 10:43 AM

I have no clue why any team would consider trading for a guy with a $10m cap hit who could face possible criminal charges and (if so) one would think a hefty suspension from the league.

I'm sorry but I do not buy that bullshit about other teams wanting to touch that PR disaster with a 10' pole. Lazerus must have been high as fuck when he wrote that garbage.

Lcsulla 09-02-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 16121179)
I absolutely think they will trade him.

I personally think he has played his last game for the Hawks regardless of what happens and if there are charges at this point.

I would not trade him, IMO he is one of the five best FWD's in hockey right now.

Also, no ones what happened that night and it has been a while since the allegations yet no charges have been filed.

So yeah, why trade him now when you will likely get very little in return as as a result of an allegation?

TMoore4075 09-02-2015 12:59 PM

I don't doubt teams have called but I'm sure it's just "hey if you are thinking about dumping him when this gets resolved, we'll be interested" kind of thing. Whether they trade him or not, I dunno. Depends on how pissed off they really are, and if they feel they can live with him around.

hailtopitt 09-02-2015 01:02 PM

would be a great PR move to trade Kane, but a terrible hockey move

fonzz41 09-02-2015 01:10 PM

I can't help but think of the Varlamov situation. Not exactly the same by any means, but similar in the sense that it involved a high profile player, went on for a while, and there was tons of talk about the team cutting ties with him. Long story short, charges were dismissed due to lack of evidence. Of course, just because he wasn't found guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. She maintains he was abusive and he maintains she's crazy. But the fact remains that now, a couple years later, Varlamov is still a member of the Avalanche and no one talks about or even seems to remember the situation.

I'm definitely not saying we should treat the Kane situation with levity or brush it under the rug. Charges of rape need to be treated with the utmost seriousness. But I think talk of trading him and stuff is jumping the gun a little bit. I'm not familiar with this Lazerus guy and can't speak to his reputation or creds, but to tell you the truth I could've almost predicted that a story like this would come out in the wake of the investigation.

I know it's easier said than done when it involves such a high profile player who means so much to a very good team, but let this thing play out.

fonzz41 09-02-2015 03:50 PM

Cool Player's Trib article from Bryce Salvador:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/bry...ls-retirement/

salrx95 09-02-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16121883)
I can't help but think of the Varlamov situation. Not exactly the same by any means, but similar in the sense that it involved a high profile player, went on for a while, and there was tons of talk about the team cutting ties with him. Long story short, charges were dismissed due to lack of evidence. Of course, just because he wasn't found guilty doesn't mean he's innocent. She maintains he was abusive and he maintains she's crazy. But the fact remains that now, a couple years later, Varlamov is still a member of the Avalanche and no one talks about or even seems to remember the situation.

I'm definitely not saying we should treat the Kane situation with levity or brush it under the rug. Charges of rape need to be treated with the utmost seriousness. But I think talk of trading him and stuff is jumping the gun a little bit. I'm not familiar with this Lazerus guy and can't speak to his reputation or creds, but to tell you the truth I could've almost predicted that a story like this would come out in the wake of the investigation.

I know it's easier said than done when it involves such a high profile player who means so much to a very good team, but let this thing play out.

Kane has a history, though and was likely warned by the club and was asked to keep "clean". They surely cannot be happy with what has happened this summer with him. They have sponsors, etc they have to answer to and need to maintain an image so I wouldn't doubt there are internal talks going on or have gone on about how to proceed and if trading Kane would be in their best interest. Surely, they have more info on the situation than the public does.

TMoore4075 09-02-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16122204)
Kane has a history, though and was likely warned by the club and was asked to keep "clean". They surely cannot be happy with what has happened this summer with him. They have sponsors, etc they have to answer to and need to maintain an image so I wouldn't doubt there are internal talks going on or have gone on about how to proceed and if trading Kane would be in their best interest. Surely, they have more info on the situation than the public does.

Still very surprised at how quiet it has been. In this day and age with so little leaking...amazing.

salrx95 09-02-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16122218)
Still very surprised at how quiet it has been. In this day and age with so little leaking...amazing.

I feel the fact that we have heard so little about it and nothing has leaked makes Kane more likely did something wrong. I'm thinking if this was going to go away and he was going to come away unscathed that things would have moved along in his favor.