Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 02-07-2014 12:12 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Damn, that is really crazy/scary about Letang. Hope he recovers and quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboy100 (Post 15093433)
Crap. That would have been awesome. I'm putting it into my calendar to message you when the Olympic break is over.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

PM me your phone number sometime if you're comfortable with that!

~Crashintome89~ 02-07-2014 12:28 PM

Matty,

I must say Matt Duchene has some wheels. Man, that kid can fly. He's been such an improvement for the Avs team the past two seasons. He's done a lot of work. I know he had a lot of talent at the start but there were some question marks about him. Cool to see that he's put it all together.

Also, sad to hear about Letang. Maybe he'll get a haircut now? Too soon? I'm sorry. I'm a Flyers fan after all.

fonzz41 02-07-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15095301)
Matty,

I must say Matt Duchene has some wheels. Man, that kid can fly. He's been such an improvement for the Avs team the past two seasons. He's done a lot of work. I know he had a lot of talent at the start but there were some question marks about him. Cool to see that he's put it all together.

Right? I had a feeling people weren't taking me seriously when I was talking about his improvement. He's always been fast, but what I've noticed lately is the strength he's added to that quickness. He's starting to be able to shrug off defenders as he breezes past them. You give him or MacKinnon a few feet of open ice to get started (they only need about a stride and a half), and say bye bye. They'll be gone. Duchene has also gotten a lot better in his own zone. Works hard every shift and is a great team guy.

The end of that third period was insane last night. Kudos to Mason for hanging in there.

daveshookme 02-07-2014 01:49 PM

Being a hockey player I'm always amazed at how fast they are to accelerate. Takes me maybe 3 or 4, and they're doubling my speed in half the time. Very impressive. Duchene is certainly a top tier in that respect from what I've seen of him.

fonzz41 02-07-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15095522)
Being a hockey player I'm always amazed at how fast they are to accelerate. Takes me maybe 3 or 4, and they're doubling my speed in half the time. Very impressive. Duchene is certainly a top tier in that respect from what I've seen of him.

:thumbsup I actually think MacKinnon might be a faster north-south skater, but Duchene has more mobility, or the ability to maneuver through spaces while still maintaining a high level of speed.

Fun anecdote that may be tl;dnr (and that I may have told already): My dad and I were friends with this hockey player who played for our local minor league club (Utah Grizzlies, this is when they were AHL - they are ECHL now). He lived in Utah during the offseason and was rehabbing an injury. As no other teammates lived in Utah during the offseason, he used to take my dad and I to the rink every morning one summer to skate with him. After he started getting better, we convinced him to pick up the pace a bit by coming and playing in our local men's league one night.

Now, mind you, the biggest knock on this guy - the reason many had said he didn't make it in the NHL - was his skating. He just wasn't very quick by professional standards. But even in our fairly competitive league, he would take a couple half-assed-still-rehabbing strides and outdistance everyone else no problem. Sometimes it takes seeing them as a big fish in a small pond to see just how TALENTED these guys really are.

daveshookme 02-07-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15095574)
:thumbsup I actually think MacKinnon might be a faster north-south skater, but Duchene has more mobility, or the ability to maneuver through spaces while still maintaining a high level of speed.

Fun anecdote that may be tl;dnr (and that I may have told already): My dad and I were friends with this hockey player who played for our local minor league club (Utah Grizzlies, this is when they were AHL - they are ECHL now). He lived in Utah during the offseason and was rehabbing an injury. As no other teammates lived in Utah during the offseason, he used to take my dad and I to the rink every morning one summer to skate with him. After he started getting better, we convinced him to pick up the pace a bit by coming and playing in our local men's league one night.

Now, mind you, the biggest knock on this guy - the reason many had said he didn't make it in the NHL - was his skating. He just wasn't very quick by professional standards. But even in our fairly competitive league, he would take a couple half-assed-still-rehabbing strides and outdistance everyone else no problem. Sometimes it takes seeing them as a big fish in a small pond to see just how TALENTED these guys really are.

Yeah the guy who runs the league I'm in has a son who played minors in Sweden for a bit but now he's 31 and just subs when we need somebody extra. Well, he played last week with us and it's just crazy how much better he is. I was pretty happy I was able to keep up with him for a shift or two at the end of the game, but he can still out corner me and his stick handling is just awe inspiring. That, and he had one of the most beautiful wrist shots I've ever seen. Even more than a lot of the pros. Just a real thing of beauty.

unccrombie 02-08-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15093150)
pens v. rangers tonight before the break

olympic hockey is awesome but it's going to suck not having NHL games for 3 weeks

the home stretch is going to be fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 15093155)
30 lol guy bet for tonight? I only have 35 left so it's like I'm betting the mortgage on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15093166)
if fleury is in net tonight i'll take that bet

I'm here to collect my winnings

lockman21 02-08-2014 08:09 AM

Mid-season prediction: NYR come out of the East to make the Stanley Cup Final.

HallowBillies7 02-08-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15096849)
Mid-season prediction: NYR come out of the East to make the Stanley Cup Final.

If the Bruins don't make a trade for a solid veteran defenseman I could see that happening.

rickyh24 02-08-2014 10:04 AM

I think they will make a move. I'm guessing they don't have a problem grabbing a rental since they are stacked with young defensemen and have their second best defensemen coming back next year off injury. I mean they know they have to make a move it's just a matter of what teams are willing to deal a guy that's about to want to get paid. The playoff situation isn't helping though. So many teams are still in it.

HallowBillies7 02-08-2014 10:19 AM

The NHL 2013-14 Thread

What do Flyers fans think it would take to get Meszaros to Boston? I'm interested in seeing how he plays alongside Chara again in the Olympics, and I think he's a UFA after this season. Plus he has ties to Chiarelli when they were in the Senators organization.

kev87lads 02-08-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15097095)
What do Flyers fans think it would take to get Meszaros to Boston? I'm interested in seeing how he plays alongside Chara again in the Olympics, and I think he's a UFA after this season. Plus he has ties to Chiarelli when they were in the Senators organization.

My guess is they would want some combination of a 5th-7th defenseman OR 6-9 forward and a very late draft pick.

lockman21 02-08-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15096961)
If the Bruins don't make a trade for a solid veteran defenseman I could see that happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15097056)
I think they will make a move. I'm guessing they don't have a problem grabbing a rental since they are stacked with young defensemen and have their second best defensemen coming back next year off injury. I mean they know they have to make a move it's just a matter of what teams are willing to deal a guy that's about to want to get paid. The playoff situation isn't helping though. So many teams are still in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 15097095)

This is an awesome feature on Capgeek:

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?rentals=on&position_id=D

I hope that link works. It's a "rental" finder. Potential UFAs that are on a team not currently in a playoff spot.

pathetic 02-08-2014 12:58 PM

bruins own

~Crashintome89~ 02-08-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15097168)
My guess is they would want some combination of a 5th-7th defenseman OR 6-9 forward and a very late draft pick.

I was going to say probably a defenseman prospect.

kev87lads 02-08-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15097394)
I was going to say probably a defenseman prospect.

I'm over projecting of course, but that's what I think they would want/ask for. They don't have to give Mez away.

rickyh24 02-08-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 15097331)
bruins own

2 great nights considering Chara was gone.

TMoore4075 02-08-2014 04:24 PM

Howard looking more like Howard lately. Hope he keeps it up.

lockman21 02-09-2014 09:41 AM

Can we all take a second to laugh at the Canucks, real quick?

Roose13 02-09-2014 06:14 PM

I got to talk to Brian Boucher and Bob Kelly on Thursday about a charity game here in AC that was today. Here was my story from Saturday on the event: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/s...701739266.html

The event was really cool today. My story for tomorrow is on the firefighters and the ones I talked to were all stoked to be playing with these guys. I was able to chat during the first intermission so I could get my story in and went over to say he to Boosh. Dude is the nicest guy I have ever met and talked to for sure!

swordo84 02-10-2014 06:26 AM

‏@FriedgeHNIC Russian practice concluding at Bolshoy Rink. Pavel Datsyuk did not participate for Russia

TMoore4075 02-10-2014 07:24 AM

Wonder if it's just to let him rest coming back from injury or if it's serious. He looked good against FLA and TBL though.

Got my USA games set to record on my Tivo.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-10-2014 07:44 AM

are we going to use spoilers when talking about these games or should I just avoid this thread for the next few weeks?

TMoore4075 02-10-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15100132)
are we going to use spoilers when talking about these games or should I just avoid this thread for the next few weeks?

Good question. I don't care one way or another. I'll be able to watching Saturday and Sunday games live and I won't care about Thursday's game if we talk about it in here. Will probably be watching in some form on Thursday, radio if they have it, tv if the streaming is free or the game updates on nhl.com.

swordo84 02-10-2014 08:23 AM

I won't be using spoilers I don't think...but then again won't be talking about the U.S games anyway so....

I mean, I can if you all want me to, but wasn't planning on it.

TMoore4075 02-10-2014 08:27 AM

If you plan on watching it later and still want to come in here I'll use spoilers. I know I'll want to talk about it, or other games, during the day.

Roose13 02-10-2014 09:07 AM

Call me a bad fan but when do the men's games start?

EDIT: Looks like Wednesday http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebysea...d=nhl:topheads

Rebecca De Mornay 02-10-2014 09:16 AM

^^ bad fan

Roose13 02-10-2014 09:22 AM

I just sat here and put them all in my phone. #redeemed

coldengrey12 02-10-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15095574)

Is there any doubt MacKinnon is gonna win the Conn Smythe? Dude has had a great rookie year.

The Avalanche have been a much better team than I expected, but I'll be surprised if they go farther than the second round of the playoffs. They need a little more seasoning.