Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 05-13-2016 08:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16416031)
Say this 3 more times and get the same result. That'd be great. Thanks.

Wow, I agree with a Flyer fan, may have to mark my calendar! :lol

trd1610 05-13-2016 08:35 PM

Nothing structurally wrong with Bishop thank goodness. X-rays came back negative, so we'll have to see how hurt he is and if he can't return for game 2

GOB_ 05-13-2016 09:19 PM

I think Callahan gets a game. His only saving grace is that Letang took a quick look over his right shoulder before playing the puck, saw Callahan coming and turned to his left.

Lcsulla 05-13-2016 09:47 PM

Letang is a great player but a shitbag in general, possibly the dirtiest player in the NHL!

~Crashintome89~ 05-14-2016 06:43 AM

he's not the dirtiest, but he's up there. I don't like him at all.

bradshaw06 05-14-2016 08:08 AM

Not even a hearing. Nhl is a joke sometimes.

bradshaw06 05-14-2016 08:14 AM

Dirtiest in the league? I mean theres guys like torres and carcillo that do laps around him as far as dirty play.

TMoore4075 05-14-2016 08:50 AM

Go Wings!!....sigh.

JRS1386 05-14-2016 08:55 AM

So much jelly in here anyone got some peanut butter and toast?

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16416513)
Dirtiest in the league? I mean theres guys like torres and carcillo that do laps around him as far as dirty play.

You are completely correct and I am not sure why I don't like the guy outside of the fact that I really just don't like many Penguins because they absolutely tormented my Whalers while I was growing up and that chip is still on my shoulder. I probably should have said he was one of the dirtiest marquee players in the league. He is a great player, a shutdown D man who racks up plenty of points - hell if he was on my team I'd probably have a jersey of his.

Objectively he reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith because he can shut down the best forewords in the league, he adds a lot to the offense and special teams, he plays hard every game and gives it his all and he is capable of being a go to guy on any team. Like Keith both push the envelope with their physical play, they both know what they can get away with when the refs can't see them but occasionally they both step over the line and end up being fined or suspended - that said I do not believe either of them ever intentionally try to harm an opposing player with a career ending injury or something.

Yeah, I am biased but I know Letang is a great player and if he was on any other team I would not have an innate dislike of him. I don't want to see him get hurt or anything but the guy is so pesty and good that he drives me crazy. He is easily in the top ten all around defensemen in the NHL - he is right up there with guys like Keith, Doughty, Burns, Seabrook, Klingberg, Karlsson, Suter, Weber and Hedman.

barbogast 05-14-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16416563)
You are completely correct and I am not sure why I don't like the guy outside of the fact that I really just don't like many Penguins because they absolutely tormented my Whalers while I was growing up and that chip is still on my shoulder. I probably should have said he was one of the dirtiest marquee players in the league. He is a great player, a shutdown D man who racks up plenty of points - hell if he was on my team I'd probably have a jersey of his.

Objectively he reminds me a lot of Duncan Keith because he can shut down the best forewords in the league, he adds a lot to the offense and special teams, he plays hard every game and gives it his all and he is capable of being a go to guy on any team. Like Keith both push the envelope with their physical play, they both know what they can get away with when the refs can't see them but occasionally they both step over the line and end up being fined or suspended - that said I do not believe either of them ever intentionally try to harm an opposing player with a career ending injury or something.

Yeah, I am biased but I know Letang is a great player and if he was on any other team I would not have an innate dislike of him. I don't want to see him get hurt or anything but the guy is so pesty and good that he drives me crazy. He is easily in the top ten all around defensemen in the NHL - he is right up there with guys like Keith, Doughty, Burns, Seabrook, Klingberg, Karlsson, Suter, Weber and Hedman.

This is most ridiculous reason for not liking Kris Letang possibly ever. There's several reasons to not like the guy, but because you're a fan of a franchise that ceased to exist when he was ten is pretty out there

Dramageek 05-14-2016 09:54 AM

Not even a hearing for Callahan's hit? The Wheel of Justice strikes again! :lol

Seriously, though, the Pens played like shit last night. Cannot happen again. For now I will take solace in the fact that under Sully they haven't played shitty two games in a row. Regardless, Sid and Geno need to wake the fuck up. They need to stop just doing the little things and start also doing the big things, namely setting up and scoring goals.

bradshaw06 05-14-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16416563)

This was a really great response. I pretty much agree. Letang, for me, could be one of those greats. He just makes some dumb decisions often.

bradshaw06 05-14-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16416573)
Not even a hearing for Callahan's hit? The Wheel of Justice strikes again! :lol

Seriously, though, the Pens played like shit last night. Cannot happen again. For now I will take solace in the fact that under Sully they haven't played shitty two games in a row. Regardless, Sid and Geno need to wake the fuck up. They need to stop just doing the little things and start also doing the big things, namely setting up and scoring goals.

Our stars need to be our stars. I think after the last series, as terrible as it is to say, they had trouble getting up for this. The emotional coaster from game 6, then having to go against a new team.

Pens in years past would wilt, hopefully this team is different and this isnt 2013 all over again.

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16416567)
This is most ridiculous reason for not liking Kris Letang possibly ever. There's several reasons to not like the guy, but because you're a fan of a franchise that ceased to exist when he was ten is pretty out there

In the first say 20 years of my life I went to an average of 25 Whaler games a year and the majority of them were against the Penguins or Flyers, both of whom usually beat them with ease. I cannot just forget that dislike simply because the Whalers skipped town. Frankly I am not sure why you seem to nitpick so many of my posts, I have never insulted you personally or knocked the Caps in any way at all. I am sorry your Caps lost (I'd be cheering for them if they were still in it) but except for fans of the 4 remaining teams all of us are frustrated that our teams are out too early for our tastes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16416579)
This was a really great response. I pretty much agree. Letang, for me, could be one of those greats. He just makes some dumb decisions often.

Thanks. I would certainly place him along with the other guys I mentioned because he deserves it, he is THAT good. He be such an easier guy to hate if he was sort of a dud filling a role on the third D pairing - a guy who would not be protected if there is an expansion draft. That fact that he is a star on one of the best teams in the NHL gets him in the news so often, it just drives me crazy. Love the guys talent, work ethic, class and how damn good he is and as I said if he was on any other team I wouldn't even complain about him at all. I agree he makes dumb decisions just like Keith, both great players who at times lose their cool in the heat of the moment.

barbogast 05-14-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16416601)
In the first say 20 years of my life I went to an average of 25 Whaler games a year and the majority of them were against the Penguins or Flyers, both of whom usually beat them with ease. I cannot just forget that dislike simply because the Whalers skipped town. Frankly I am not sure why you seem to nitpick so many of my posts, I have never insulted you personally or knocked the Caps in any way at all. I am sorry your Caps lost (I'd be cheering for them if they were still in it) but except for fans of the 4 remaining teams all of us are frustrated that our teams are out too early for our tastes.

You're right, fuck Letang. I don't know what I was thinking. Any reason to hate the Penns is a good one for me.

JRS1386 05-14-2016 11:25 AM

I hear Letang thinks Kessel is a better center than Benn. Fuck that guy

bradshaw06 05-14-2016 11:39 AM

Letang thinks crosby is better than Fata. Da fuck is he thinking

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16416632)
I hear Letang thinks Kessel is a better center than Benn. Fuck that guy

Personally I think Kane is a better center than Benn or Kessel. :lol

barbogast 05-14-2016 11:54 AM

Clearly Ovie is the best center currently hockeying. Let's be serious guys

YouNeverKnow25 05-14-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16416135)
Nothing structurally wrong with Bishop thank goodness. X-rays came back negative, so we'll have to see how hurt he is and if he can't return for game 2

Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, but x-rays are meaningless for knee injuries

dmbetc 05-14-2016 12:35 PM

Guys! I found my soulmate today

http://imgur.com/un9r8tz

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16416666)
Clearly Ovie is the best center currently hockeying. Let's be serious guys

TJ Ovie, yeah I guess he is OK is all you are looking for is hat tricks and OT heroics! :)

barbogast 05-14-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16416705)
Guys! I found my soulmate today

http://imgur.com/un9r8tz

:lol :lol :lol

That's awesome

barbogast 05-14-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16416719)
TJ Ovie, yeah I guess he is OK is all you are looking for is hat tricks and OT heroics! :)

That's what quality centering is all about. Hat tricks!

trd1610 05-14-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16416678)
Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, but x-rays are meaningless for knee injuries

Based on Cooper's comments today it doesn't sound like they are concerned about any ligament issues otherwise they probably would've done the MRI's right then anyways. It seems like they may try to get him back out there depending on how he feels.

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16416932)
Based on Cooper's comments today it doesn't sound like they are concerned about any ligament issues otherwise they probably would've done the MRI's right then anyways. It seems like they may try to get him back out there depending on how he feels.

Glad it appears he is OK. That said, I hope Cooper reminds him to avoid straying too far from the crease in 5v5 situations. Remember game 5 of the finals last year when he came out to the dots and collided with Hedman and they both ended up on their asses with the puck just sitting there in the middle of the ice for Patrick Sharp to just walk that puck into an empty net. I recall watching that unfold and thinking 'holy shit, did I just see that and what hell was Bishop thinking going out so far.' :p

trd1610 05-14-2016 05:05 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16416950)
Glad it appears he is OK. That said, I hope Cooper reminds him to avoid straying too far from the crease in 5v5 situations. Remember game 5 of the finals last year when he came out to the dots and collided with Hedman and they both ended up on their asses with the puck just sitting there in the middle of the ice for Patrick Sharp to just walk that puck into an empty net. I recall watching that unfold and thinking 'holy shit, did I just see that and what hell was Bishop thinking going out so far.' :p

I guess, I remember that play very well lol I was screaming at both of them from my couch. Not his smartest decision. That's just part of why he's so great though. His ability to handle the puck and play it out of the net is a huge part of his game. He shouldn't stray to the dots, but what he does going into the trapezoid is great for us. This injury happened when he got back to the blue, I think his skate just got dug in and the knee gave out under his weight.

Lcsulla 05-14-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16416958)
I guess, I remember that play very well lol I was screaming at both of them from my couch. Not his smartest decision. That's just part of why he's so great though. His ability to handle the puck and play it out of the net is a huge part of his game. He shouldn't stray to the dots, but what he does going into the trapezoid is great for us. This injury happened when he got back to the blue, I think his skate just got dug in and the knee gave out under his weight.

Oh I can only imagine how much you must have been screaming, trust me I know all too well. Crawford has his brain farts as well and I do the same. I am very happy Bishop appears to be okay, just a fluke - most goalies I knew didn't sharpen their skates like the regular guys so they can slide laterally without catching an edge but the one moment it backfired.

I only brought up that play to lighten the mood, it was one of the most bizarre ways to give up a goal I have ever seen.

SmoothG 05-15-2016 08:39 AM

Big win for Germany over USA in world hockey championship in Russia.