Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 03-21-2016 09:46 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340963)
Islanders
Panthers
Capitals

they could beat all 3 of those teams in a 7 game series

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16340966)
on the other hand, Bruins and Rangers are still the 2 worst matchups for the Pens

I agree with all of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341147)
Also, gonna say this right now:

Pens are peaking too soon.

Nah, they're getting hot at the right time. But the Malkin injury is key. The Flyers have been equally hot, so would you say they are peaking too soon as well?

I much prefer the Pens getting hot in March than slipping off the Earth like they did last season, making the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

Alazais 03-21-2016 09:49 AM

Fuck Holtby and the Capitals. I was leading with a good margin in my pool and the mother fucker throws up a dud so bad that it caused me to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. I am forever in tilt against the capitals and their bullshit.

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16341157)
Nah, they're getting hot at the right time. But the Malkin injury is key. The Flyers have been equally hot, so would you say they are peaking too soon as well?

I guess?

I don't know.

The Flyers weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year. So in reality, this is a team that's playing with house money. If they get in, great. I love playoff hockey, even if it means a possible five game series against the Caps. If they don't, oh well. They'll be in much better shape next season if Hextall does really well.

That being said, even if with Malkin back for the playoffs--the Pens aren't going to win the Cup. They don't have a bonafide #1 defenseman.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341185)
That being said, even if with Malkin back for the playoffs--the Pens aren't going to win the Cup. They don't have a bonafide #1 defenseman.

i agree that they aren't a true Cup contender right now, but things can change quickly

and the bolded is just laughable :lol

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 10:02 AM

who is it then?

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341192)
who is it then?

if you don't think Kris Letang is a bona fide #1 then we have nothing left to discuss

Dramageek 03-21-2016 10:04 AM

Letang maybe? ^ This.

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 10:06 AM

lol okay

AJF_41 03-21-2016 10:08 AM

who gets in, wild or avs?

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16341197)
lol okay

-plays an average of 27:00 per game
-runs the #1 PP unit
-kills penalties
-is 2nd in the league in points by a defenseman (and thats with missing 10 games)

what other criteria is there for a bona fide #1 D-man? i know Philly fans think weighing 300LBS and leading the league in PIM and hits is what makes you a good D-man, but times have changed. he's a true #1

~Crashintome89~ 03-21-2016 10:20 AM

yep radko gudas is definitely a #1 defenseman

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 10:23 AM

he belongs in jail

aeroshady 03-21-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16341146)
Pens have 1 more point than the Kings in their last 10 games and the Pens have done it without Malkin for the majority of the time

i'd say that's better. and that's not a knock on the Kings at all

Kings wins in their last ten:

Playoff teams: Boston (2-1), NYR (2-1), DAL (5-2), CHI (5-0), WAS (4-3)

Regulation Losses: ANA (twice) (2-4 and 2-3)

Penguins wins in their last ten:

Playoff teams: WAS (6-2), NYI (2-1), NYR (twice) (4-1 and 5-3)

Regulation Losses: NYI (1-2), CAL (2-4)

Both are impressive, but to me it is not even close at which team had the more impressive wins over harder competition, and the Kings only losses are to a very good Anaheim team. The Pens lost to the Islanders and Flames.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16341372)
Kings wins in their last ten:

Playoff teams: Boston (2-1), NYR (2-1), DAL (5-2), CHI (5-0), WAS (4-3)

Regulation Losses: ANA (twice) (2-4 and 2-3)

Penguins wins in their last ten:

Playoff teams: WAS (6-2), NYI (2-1), NYR (twice) (4-1 and 5-3)

Regulation Losses: NYI (1-2), CAL (2-4)

Both are impressive, but to me it is not even close at which team had the more impressive wins over harder competition, and the Kings only losses are to a very good Anaheim team. The Pens lost to the Islanders and Flames.

yea the CGY loss was a bad one for Pittsburgh but the Penguins still have one more win over the last 10 games than the Kings so you can't ignore that

plus you don't get to choose who you play

bottom line, both teams are hot right now. could split hairs all day really

aeroshady 03-21-2016 12:42 PM

Basically what I learned from looking that up along with the Rangers last ten is that the Rangers are dog shit right now. 4-4-2 in their last ten, Losses in all the big games they needed points out of, and flat out unable to play in the third period. Very scary how underwhelming they are right now. The have ten games to impress or I honestly think they lose in 5 or 6 in round 1 regardless of who they play.

For perspective:

Rangers wins in last ten:

Playoff teams: ANA (2-1), WAS (3-2)

Regulation Losses: SAN (1-4), PIT (Twice) (1-4 and 3-5), NYI (4-6)

Ugly.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 12:48 PM

yea but i think because there are only 10 or so games left until the playoffs, that makes people overreact to their teams, whether good or bad

Rangers are built for the playoffs and matchup great against a lot of teams they could possibly face. plus they have the x-factor in Hank who can win a series all by himself

just like every other year, being hot going into the playoffs won't hurt, but it will always come down to matchups and goaltending

aeroshady 03-21-2016 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16341393)
yea but i think because there are only 10 or so games left until the playoffs, that makes people overreact to their teams, whether good or bad

Rangers are built for the playoffs and matchup great against a lot of teams they could possibly face. plus they have the x-factor in Hank who can win a series all by himself

just like every other year, being hot going into the playoffs won't hurt, but it will always come down to matchups and goaltending

I hope so. It is hard to have faith in the team when they play so poorly for such long periods of time. I mean, maybe they all think they can just let off the gas and still be fine come post season. I just don't agree.

They need to finish the season strong or I really won't believe they are good enough to do anything in the post season.

They have: Florida, Boston, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn, Tampa and Detroit in their last ten games. If they can't win against these teams now, they won't be able to in the post season. All but Detroit could be a first round match up.

Edit: I suppose even Detroit could be...if things got really crazy in the Atlantic.

unccrombie 03-21-2016 01:00 PM

giving up the 2 line in the metro would hurt the most.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16341408)

you think? i imagined most Rangers fan would be licking their chops at the prospect of getting the Pens in the 1st round instead of the Isles

home ice or not, the Rangers know how to beat the Pens in the playoffs

aeroshady 03-21-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16341408)

I don't think it is that far-fetched for the Rangers to wind up as the wild card. We could wind up playing the Atlantic winner if the Rangers don't finish strong in these last ten games.

Worst case...we could still miss the post season...

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 01:04 PM

:lol the rangers are making the playoffs, calm down

aeroshady 03-21-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16341417)
:lol the rangers are making the playoffs, calm down

Obviously I would be shocked if they missed.

I tend to put a lot of weight in how teams are playing currently (last ten) though. Using that as my measuring stick, I am fully expecting the Rangers to be in one of the WC spots come post season.

I hope they surprise me again and get hot for the last 10. I just have not seen any evidence that they will though.

hailtopitt 03-21-2016 01:08 PM

that's why we watch

should be a fun 2 weeks leading into the tournament

unccrombie 03-21-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16341413)
you think? i imagined most Rangers fan would be licking their chops at the prospect of getting the Pens in the 1st round instead of the Isles

home ice or not, the Rangers know how to beat the Pens in the playoffs

limping in to the playoffs and not having home ice is bad news and I don't want that scenario in round 1

swordo84 03-21-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16340944)
Hey they are a little better than last year. Amazing with all that talent. What do you think they do this offseason?

At the risk of sounding like Capt. Obvious, they are going to trade a bunch of players, and likely a couple draft picks in order to get some top tier d-men, and maybe a starting goalie. That being said, I'd like to see what Talbot can do with a quality defensive unit in front of him.

For my money, they only untouchables are McDavid and Eberle (just can't split those two up). I don't see them trading Hall, or Nurse (who has the potential to be a Norris winner...but it's only potential at this point). I'd really like them to trade their 1st rounder for the upcoming draft, dangle RNH, Yak and anyone else out there to see what they can get in return.

In short, it'll be a ga'damn fire sale in Edmonton - they are moving to a new barn for the 2016/17 season and anything short of the playoffs will be a massive failure, disappointment and embarrassment.

lockman21 03-21-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16341420)
Obviously I would be shocked if they missed.

I tend to put a lot of weight in how teams are playing currently (last ten) though. Using that as my measuring stick, I am fully expecting the Rangers to be in one of the WC spots come post season.

I hope they surprise me again and get hot for the last 10. I just have not seen any evidence that they will though.

I mean...why? Teams have shown time and time again that means nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-hand_fallacy

TMoore4075 03-21-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16341448)
At the risk of sounding like Capt. Obvious, they are going to trade a bunch of players, and likely a couple draft picks in order to get some top tier d-men, and maybe a starting goalie. That being said, I'd like to see what Talbot can do with a quality defensive unit in front of him.

For my money, they only untouchables are McDavid and Eberle (just can't split those two up). I don't see them trading Hall, or Nurse (who has the potential to be a Norris winner...but it's only potential at this point). I'd really like them to trade their 1st rounder for the upcoming draft, dangle RNH, Yak and anyone else out there to see what they can get in return.

In short, it'll be a ga'damn fire sale in Edmonton - they are moving to a new barn for the 2016/17 season and anything short of the playoffs will be a massive failure, disappointment and embarrassment.

Jimmy Howard might be available. Just saying.

JRS1386 03-21-2016 08:12 PM

Huge win for the Flyers

swordo84 03-21-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16341498)
Jimmy Howard might be available. Just saying.

I'd be ok with that...I think.

lockman21 03-21-2016 08:49 PM

Rangers gonna miss the playoffs!!!!!