Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 02-22-2017 01:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16725025)
We need to improve the defense and add a strong shutdown center. I would love to see the team try and bring back Boyle from Tampa Bay. I feel like a Boyle type move could have us right up there.

Brian Boyle is one of my favorite players in the NHL :thumbsup. Would love for the Avs to get him.

"would love for the Avs to get him" :lol - sometimes I say crazy things

lockman21 02-22-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725074)
Brian Boyle is one of my favorite players in the NHL :thumbsup. Would love for the Avs to get him.

"would love for the Avs to get him" :lol - sometimes I say crazy things

Watch out! Here come the Avs!

Lcsulla 02-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16724848)
I wouldn't mind the Habs in round 1. Good original six series to start off the playoffs! I also have to believe that if the Rangers won that series they would make it to the Eastern Finals at the very least. On the other hand, I kind of like taking on Washington or Pittsburgh in round 1 too. If we can't beat them in round 1, we wont beat them in round 3, so lets just see how good this Rangers team is before getting hopes to high.

You never really know with the Stanley Cup playoffs, teams can get hot or go cold so quickly it can change the momentum of the series. I know what you mean though - I often wonder whether I would rather play a team in the first round that was a de facto pushover or the team with a better record just to get them out of the way. We have all seen strange things happen in the playoffs, injuries, guys getting hot, guts who can't score to save their lives despite being great players, etc, etc. Tough call, sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16724920)
No doubt! The talent on both sides would just be amazing to watch. I know the NHL would love a Rangers v Hawks series too, but I think 2014 was probably the best chance for that.

2015, the year the Rangers lost game 7 of the ECF to Tampa (when the Hawks went on to win the cup) was probably the closest we have seen to that possible matchup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725007)
I think if the Hawks can grab one more forward at the deadline (Sharp?), they're the favorites to come out of the West. East could be any number of teams...Caps, Pens, Rags, Habs and maybe even the Jackets all are legit candidates.

This year very well could be Rags/Hawks.

That would be a great series showcasing some very skilled players. Love to grab Sharp but the cap or an absurd asking price from Dallas could both throw a wrench into that idea. Honestly, to this day I believe had Keith not been suspended for that first game against St. Louis in round 1 they win that game then the complexity of the series changes and the Hawks probably win that one in 6 games - then I also fully believe they'd have blown past Dallas and won a tight 6 or 7 game series against San Jose which would have given us a CHI/PIT SCF and that is a series I would not have bet a dime on - I think even Penguins fans would have been wary and unwilling to bet on an outcome.

fonzz41 02-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725153)
Watch out! Here come the Avs!

Still trailing the Patriots in total wins this season...

lockman21 02-22-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725158)
That would be a great series showcasing some very skilled players. Love to grab Sharp but the cap or an absurd asking price from Dallas could both throw a wrench into that idea. Honestly, to this day I believe had Keith not been suspended for that first game against St. Louis in round 1 they win that game then the complexity of the series changes and the Hawks probably win that one in 6 games - then I also fully believe they'd have blown past Dallas and won a tight 6 or 7 game series against San Jose which would have given us a CHI/PIT SCF and that is a series I would not have bet a dime on - I think even Penguins fans would have been wary and unwilling to bet on an outcome.

The biggest wrench in the Hawks plans is the cap, but not because Sharp can't fit. Today they can absorb a yearly cap hit equivalent of $3.3 million at the deadline. That's without a demotion or two that could open up more space. The problem is cap overages. Last year they had next to NO space at the end of the season, which resulted in things like Panarin's bonus carrying over to this season's cap. With Artemi's new contract kicking in, I bet they want to absorb as much bonus payout as they can in this year's cap. So acquiring someone like Sharp would keep them from doing that.

To your second point - what's most amazing about the Hawks is that they really could easily have 4 or 5 Cups. That OT game against the Kings? If the puck doesn't weirdly go off Leddy's sweater and he actually blocks that shot, Hawks would have likely done the same thing to the Rags the Kings did. And yeah, I think Keith's suspension really hurt, but if Seabrook's shot didn't ring off BOTH posts there at the end of the 3rd...who knows what happens in OT? They were a couple really simple bad breaks away from really having a shot at both those. The only years I really think the Hawks just didn't have it were 2010-11 and 2011-12. Those teams were just not good.

Lcsulla 02-22-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725216)
The biggest wrench in the Hawks plans is the cap, but not because Sharp can't fit. Today they can absorb a yearly cap hit equivalent of $3.3 million at the deadline. That's without a demotion or two that could open up more space. The problem is cap overages. Last year they had next to NO space at the end of the season, which resulted in things like Panarin's bonus carrying over to this season's cap. With Artemi's new contract kicking in, I bet they want to absorb as much bonus payout as they can in this year's cap. So acquiring someone like Sharp would keep them from doing that.

To your second point - what's most amazing about the Hawks is that they really could easily have 4 or 5 Cups. That OT game against the Kings? If the puck doesn't weirdly go off Leddy's sweater and he actually blocks that shot, Hawks would have likely done the same thing to the Rags the Kings did. And yeah, I think Keith's suspension really hurt, but if Seabrook's shot didn't ring off BOTH posts there at the end of the 3rd...who knows what happens in OT? They were a couple really simple bad breaks away from really having a shot at both those. The only years I really think the Hawks just didn't have it were 2010-11 and 2011-12. Those teams were just not good.

Completely agree on the cap issue, my point was that if Dallas asked for one of our young guys (Hartman, Kero, Hinestrosa, Abbot, etc, etc) in return for a rental it is a dumb deal. Regarding Panarin, I believe you are correct and the Hawks are probably hoping the same as well - though I am damn happy he is signed for a while longer!

Yeah, the 2010-2011 and 2011-1012 teams were not that great because they essentially had get rid of some key guys from the 2009-2010 team - namely Ladd and Byfuglien for starters but I credit the front office for doing it smart and keeping that core group (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharpe, Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmasson) together so they could rely on new talent coming in like say Saad, Shaw, TVR and others who have come - and in some cases gone.

I agree, I don't even want to think about that fucking Kings game, it is like recalling Mariano Rivera throwing the ball into center field during the 9th inning of game 7 against the Diamondbacks - AKA it sucks. They would have beaten the Rangers that year just as I am sure they would have made the SCF (not claiming they'd have beat PIT but it would have been a great series) last year!

Brohan_Santana 02-22-2017 07:29 PM

Flyers fans are idiots. Are they really trying a 'Holt-by' chant when he's only given up 1 goal?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohan_Santana 02-22-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16725410)
Flyers fans are idiots. Are they really trying a 'Holt-by' chant when he's only given up 1 goal?!?!?

Oh, and the only goal he allowed was a deflection...dipshits

aeroshady 02-22-2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725158)

2015, the year the Rangers lost game 7 of the ECF to Tampa (when the Hawks went on to win the cup) was probably the closest we have seen to that possible matchup.

I would definitely argue that 2014 was. Rangers made the finals and the Hawks lost to the Kings in a game 7 OT. It was one goal away from happening :lol

In 2015, the Rangers lost 2-0 in game 7.

lockman21 02-22-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16725332)
Completely agree on the cap issue, my point was that if Dallas asked for one of our young guys (Hartman, Kero, Hinestrosa, Abbot, etc, etc) in return for a rental it is a dumb deal. Regarding Panarin, I believe you are correct and the Hawks are probably hoping the same as well - though I am damn happy he is signed for a while longer!

Yeah, the 2010-2011 and 2011-1012 teams were not that great because they essentially had get rid of some key guys from the 2009-2010 team - namely Ladd and Byfuglien for starters but I credit the front office for doing it smart and keeping that core group (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharpe, Seabrook, Keith and Hjarlmasson) together so they could rely on new talent coming in like say Saad, Shaw, TVR and others who have come - and in some cases gone.

I agree, I don't even want to think about that fucking Kings game, it is like recalling Mariano Rivera throwing the ball into center field during the 9th inning of game 7 against the Diamondbacks - AKA it sucks. They would have beaten the Rangers that year just as I am sure they would have made the SCF (not claiming they'd have beat PIT but it would have been a great series) last year!

It won't be those guys. If anyone, it's Ville Pokka.

Dramageek 02-23-2017 05:16 AM

Fantastic story about the Punjabi broadcaster who did the "Bonino Bonino Bonino!" goal call in last year's playoffs:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/har...chapared-shot/

Roose13 02-23-2017 07:01 AM

Ovechkin's set up to Oshie's goal in the third was nice. Dude really is a special player.

But...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16725423)

Oh, and the only goal he allowed was a deflection...dipshits

Welcome to Hockey Fan 101, where this happens at any game, anywhere. Even a dipshit could figure that out.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 07:20 AM

Pens defense just taking hits so they get Ron Hainsey. You want Brendan Smith too?

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 07:24 AM

Fucking A. I didn't even know about Daley's knee surgery. I've been out of the loop. I also know nothing about Hainsey

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725701)
Fucking A. I didn't even know about Daley's knee surgery. I've been out of the loop. I also know nothing about Hainsey

I didn't know he was still playing. I remember he used to play for the Thrashers.

lockman21 02-23-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725701)

I mean, he's old. He's gotta be, what, 36 now? Like Tim said, he was on the Thrashers. And the Jackets back in the day. Been around the block. Probably been in the league 14-15 years or so.

Steep price for him, but defensemen are expensive at the deadline. At this point, he's probably a 6th defenseman, MAYBE 5th with Daley/Schultz out. But he'll likely spend time in the press box when those two come back.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725736)
I mean, he's old. He's gotta be, what, 36 now? Like Tim said, he was on the Thrashers. And the Jackets back in the day. Been around the block. Probably been in the league 14-15 years or so.

Steep price for him, but defensemen are expensive at the deadline. At this point, he's probably a 6th defenseman, MAYBE 5th with Daley/Schultz out. But he'll likely spend time in the press box when those two come back.

Oh yeah the Jackets too. Poor bastard was on two of the worst expansion teams. The price is what makes me feel ok about the Wings unloading Smith. He's nothing special either but teams want depth on the blue line and Smith can add that.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:15 AM

Dammit Pittsburgh, I wanted Hainsey for the Avs!

You guys will like him for the role he plays. Bottom pair at this point in his career, but will provide solid, reliable minutes there. He's cool as a cucumber in his own zone and is always in position. Will not provide any flash or dash, but that's generally not what you're looking for in a 5/6. Also, a great penalty killer.

Good acquisition by the Pens as they gear up for the playoffs. :thumbsup

lockman21 02-23-2017 08:20 AM

Yeah, I mean, he's your classic steady older bottom pair defenseman. Don't expect him to light up the score sheet, but he'll generally be in the right place and make the right passes. He's not Duncan Keith making 100 foot passes through the neutral zone to create a 3-on-2, or Shea Weber unloading a slap shot, but he'll be steady. He can hit occasionally too.

He's like a 2003 Honda Civic. He won't get you laid, but he's reliable and will do the job you need him to.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:24 AM

Pens are fucked

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725797)
Pens are fucked

It's really incredible how this organization can never stay healthy.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:31 AM

Aw, I'm so sorry your Stanley Cup Championship team has a few bumps.

#notbitteroranything

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725804)

this year is almost at the point of being a wash TBH

the grind of playing 106 games last year is catching up with them. if they were smart, they would rest the big 4 down the stretch to freshen up. and even that might not help.

Maata, Daley, Schultz (should be back soon), Rust, Sheary

that's 5 huge injuries and Hainsey does nothing for me, especially for a 2nd round pick. if he's on the ice for significant minutes in the playoffs, the Pens are toast.

we'll see if GMJR makes another move

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725819)

#notbitteroranything

my life is hard dude

the struggle is real

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725823)
this year is almost at the point of being a wash TBH

the grind of playing 106 games last year is catching up with them. if they were smart, they would rest the big 4 down the stretch to freshen up. and even that might not help.

Maata, Daley, Schultz (should be back soon), Rust, Sheary

that's 5 huge injuries and Hainsey does nothing for me, especially for a 2nd round pick. if he's on the ice for significant minutes in the playoffs, the Pens are toast.

we'll see if GMJR makes another move

I think he will for sure. I'm thinking they bring in a 4th line winger

aeroshady 02-23-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725797)
Pens are fucked

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725804)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725819)

#notbitteroranything

:thumbsup :lol

I mean really guys..you have been in the hunt every year and won the damn Cup twice in the last 10 years. I'll be over here playing the worlds smallest violin for you all. :rolleyes

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725823)

He will be the type whose praises you'll sing if the injuries start to pile up in the playoffs.

2nd rounder is steep, but a good contributing depth player. It is apparent the Pens have drafted very well, and perhaps that's what made the pick expendable in the eyes of Rutherford.

Dramageek 02-23-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725832)
He will be the type whose praises you'll sing if the injuries start to pile up in the playoffs.

2nd rounder is steep, but a good contributing depth player. It is apparent the Pens have drafted very well, and perhaps that's what made the pick expendable in the eyes of Rutherford.

I've been told this year's draft class is a bit on the weak side, so perhaps the 2nd Rounder this year is not as steep as it would be in other years.

Hainsey adds to the depth. It seems to be a move that needed to be made given the current injury situation.

For all the Pens' success, which I will never ever complain about, the injury bug does seem to hit them hard.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16725849)
I've been told this year's draft class is a bit on the weak side, so perhaps the 2nd Rounder this year is not as steep as it would be in other years.

It definitely is. I'm hoping the Avs are able to move the 1st overall as part of a package for a really big name D-man.

lockman21 02-23-2017 08:46 AM

Schultz is practicing today in a regular jersey.

Take it easy, Pens fans. What are you? Hawks fans? Step off the ledge. You're fine.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 08:47 AM

I'm curious how it works out for the Wings. There's really only one decent D in the top guys and who knows if they'll get him or want him or if he'll even work out. Part of me with the weak class maybe it gets teams to give up higher picks than they would have previously and the more picks you have either the better chances you get or maybe you can package them.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16725827)
I think he will for sure. I'm thinking they bring in a 4th line winger

i'd rather just go hard after Duchene at this point. a bottom 6 winger doesn't do much for them IMO.

maybe you even move Bonino to make room, or TRY Duchene at wing (although i feel that experiment would fail, he's a centerman at this point)

Sheary should be back for the playoffs and adding Duchene would get Eric Fehr out of the lineup. if the blue line is going to be weak, then you might as well solidify your forwards:

Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel
Wilson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kessel-Duchene-Hagelin
Kunitz-Cullen-Kuhnhackl

now THAT is a sexy looking group of forwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725832)

yes, the Baby Pens are stacked with talent, but at first blush i just don't see Hainsey contributing to the point of warranting a 2nd round pick. hopefully i'm wrong though.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725858)
Schultz is practicing today in a regular jersey.

Take it easy, Pens fans. What are you? Hawks fans? Step off the ledge. You're fine.

forgive us for not being optimistic about concussions :lol

we are officially scarred by that specific injury

fonzz41 02-23-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725866)
i'd rather just go hard after Duchene at this point. a bottom 6 winger doesn't do much for them IMO.

maybe you even move Bonino to make room, or TRY Duchene at wing (although i feel that experiment would fail, he's a centerman at this point)

Duchene has been playing RW for much of the past two seasons. Part of his appeal is his versatility and ability to play both positions on the fly. He's lethal coming off those boards as left-handed shot.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725872)
Duchene has been playing RW for much of the past two seasons. Part of his appeal is his versatility and ability to play both positions on the fly. He's lethal coming off those boards as left-handed shot.

yea i'm sure he is but the Pens already have their top 6 wingers...too much shuffling can be counter-productive

plus, Duchene's faceoff numbers are VERY tasty. Pens need help in the faceoff dot.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725879)
yea i'm sure he is but the Pens already have their top 6 wingers...too much shuffling can be counter-productive

plus, Duchene's faceoff numbers are VERY tasty. Pens need help in the faceoff dot.

Who would you send to the Avs for him?

I'd take Ian Cole as PART of a package, I'll tell you that much.

EDIT: And as for shuffling, tell that to Coach Q :lol

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725880)
Who would you send to the Avs for him?

I'd take Ian Cole as PART of a package, I'll tell you that much.

EDIT: And as for shuffling, tell that to Coach Q :lol

i actually like Ian Cole a lot and would want him to stay. plus, giving up more blue-liners doesn't seem likely at this point.

i think it would be a 1st round pick for sure

then maybe Fehr or Kunitz (because of contracts)

if the Avs don't want either of those players (and they probably don't), then you either throw in another very high draft pick and make the Avs cover some of Duchene's salary, OR we get into the MAF territory

it's a very difficult deal to make IMO but GMJR has his ways

fonzz41 02-23-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725888)
i actually like Ian Cole a lot and would want him to stay. plus, giving up more blue-liners doesn't seem likely at this point.

i think it would be a 1st round pick for sure

then maybe Fehr or Kunitz (because of contracts)

if the Avs don't want either of those players (and they probably don't), then you either throw in another very high draft pick and make the Avs cover some of Duchene's salary, OR we get into the MAF territory

it's a very difficult deal to make IMO but GMJR has his ways

I think Sakic will stick hard and fast to his current asking price of a roster player (preferably D), prospect, and pick. He should, anyways. Cole would be right up their alley. I totally get not wanting to lose him. I wouldn't.

Kunitz and Fehr are the types of players the Avs are trying to shed. No deal there.

MAF is an intriguing possibility, if the Avs can unload Varlamov, which I don't think they'd be able to do at the deadline considering his injury status.

It looks like the Avs and Pens are trying to unload the same types of players (aging vet forwards), while trying to get/keep the same thing (solid D). That may make them unlikely trade partners.

coldengrey12 02-23-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725895)
I think Sakic will stick hard and fast to his current asking price of a roster player (preferably D), prospect, and pick. He should, anyways. Cole would be right up their alley. I totally get not wanting to lose him. I wouldn't.

Kunitz and Fehr are the types of players the Avs are trying to shed. No deal there.

MAF is an intriguing possibility, if the Avs can unload Varlamov, which I don't think they'd be able to do at the deadline considering his injury status.

It looks like the Avs and Pens are trying to unload the same types of players (aging vet forwards), while trying to get/keep the same thing (solid D). That may make them unlikely trade partners.

https://pics.onsizzle.com/nhia-i-was...e-14252941.png

I figured I'd share this with my fellow Avs fan.

:lol ... :shrug ... :lorraine

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16725895)

i agree with pretty much everything here. the great equalizers are draft picks and prospects though. The Pens could blow the doors down to get Duchene if they really wanted to but i'm not sure GMJR will do that.

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725509)
It won't be those guys. If anyone, it's Ville Pokka.

You really think they won't ask about one of those guys or maybe Motte? I know the Dallas D is pretty unsteady but acquiring a young FWD is a nice catch for any club.I honestly don't believe they will move Pokka, he is probably going to end up as the pure D guy on a second pairing at some point and with the expansion draft coming up it is possible Vegas will snag TVR so keeping Pokka in the AHL could lessen the impact of losing TVR if it happens (both of us know the 3 defenders they are going to protect are Keith, Seabrook and Hjarlmasson). I'd rather lose no one to expansion but I fear we are going to lose someone young and solid and TVR certainly checks all the boxes.

The way this team is playing now I don't see much need to make a huge splash but if the price was right for a rental to increase our chances of a deep run I would be willing to part with perhaps Motte and demand Dallas eat most of Sharp's remaining salary - not like they are in a position to haggle too much with Chicago because we don't really NEED Sharp as much as I would like him for a playoff push - he has been a postseason beast for us in the past. I think the younger guys (Hinestroza, Hartman, Kero and Abbot - if called back up) are going to continue to get better as the season goes on and the vets will keep the same pace. Basically we have 3 lines hitting on all cylinders a damn good defense and 2 goalies they would be starters on many teams so there is no urgent need to tweak too much. If the price is right go ahead and snag Sharp (I can pull my Sharp sweater out of the 'old jersey bin' lol) but if not we can forge ahead knowing that any line we put out there is capable of outplaying opponents - Hossa is the perfect example, yeah he is a third liner by necessity but he'd be a first liner on almost any other team and the Hawks double shift him to keep his ice time up and he is damn good on special teams.

Guess we will know in a week whether Bowman is sticking to his prediction that we will make no major moves at the deadline unless a gift falls into our lap.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 10:03 AM

Anyone think that Alexandre Burrows could be on the move at the deadline? He is 35, but has some solid experience to bring to the table for current cup hopefuls.

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2017 10:12 AM

I can't believe the Pens gave up a 2nd for Hainsey.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16725966)

injuries and a stocked farm system makes it a little easier to swallow

definitely overpaid, but i'd rather overpay to try to repeat than stand pat

i don't envy GMJR, he's in a tough spot

lockman21 02-23-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

I know as a Flyers fan you're not used to it, but that's what winning franchises do when they have the chance at the Cup.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16725993)
I know as a Flyers fan you're not used to it, but that's what winning franchises do when they have the chance at the Cup.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...pumped_kid.gif

TheLastPig 02-23-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725999)

:lol :lol

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16725989)
injuries and a stocked farm system makes it a little easier to swallow

definitely overpaid, but i'd rather overpay to try to repeat than stand pat

i don't envy GMJR, he's in a tough spot

Yeah, know what you mean. We overpaid a tad for Ladd last year as a rental and it didn't help us repeat. It is so tough in the cap era to repeat that even powerhouses like Chicago and Pittsburgh somehow end up getting bounced for one reason or another. Sort of wish the cap was structured like MLB where if you go over you can just pay a fine that will easily be repaid in a nights ticket and concession sales for a round 1 game.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

:lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=Asht...Wduzqh3F1YBiM:

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726021)
Yeah, know what you mean. We overpaid a tad for Ladd last year as a rental and it didn't help us repeat. It is so tough in the cap era to repeat that even powerhouses like Chicago and Pittsburgh somehow end up getting bounced for one reason or another. Sort of wish the cap was structured like MLB where if you go over you can just pay a fine that will easily be repaid in a nights ticket and concession sales for a round 1 game.

While a fan of the big days of a 77mil payroll in 2004 for the Wings, while some teams were in the low 20's, I wish so too. Wings would never have lost Hossa for example. But a team like CBJ wouldn't be where they are if it was that way because Detroit and others would scoop up as much talent as possible.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

a tad for Ladd :lol

but i don't really agree with the MLB structure. i like the cap as is...it should be hard to repeat

taking away the 3 point game is the biggest issue in today's current NHL IMO

that, and #garageleague nonsense

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/Sb8xscp.jpg

lockman21 02-23-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

I like the hard cap. The "cap" in MLB/NBA is a joke. Hard cap works for the NHL, or else the Hawks/Pens would just load up every year like the old days. As much as I selfishly would love Saad, Oduya, Leddy, Ladd, Big Buff, etc. all still around, it's just not the right landscape for the NHL.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16726037)

:lol one of my favorite skits ever

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2017 11:25 AM

"how do you know you're gonna be a leader in the future?" is probably my favorite line from the second one.

lockman21 02-23-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16726037)

http://i.imgur.com/kCU173N.gifv

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16726042)
I like the hard cap. The "cap" in MLB/NBA is a joke. Hard cap works for the NHL, or else the Hawks/Pens would just load up every year like the old days. As much as I selfishly would love Saad, Oduya, Leddy, Ladd, Big Buff, etc. all still around, it's just not the right landscape for the NHL.

My team was one of the teams that got "hurt" the most back in 2005 and I'm ok with it. It was fun but the league overall is better off like this. Hell maybe the Hawks and Pens aren't where they are without this system. Small market teams struggle anyway and if we had the NBA type system, it would be worse.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 11:38 AM

The parity in the league right now is phenomenal. With the exception of a couple (ahem), almost every team in the league is good. That's awesome.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16726036)

but i don't really agree with the MLB structure. i like the cap as is...it should be hard to repeat

taking away the 3 point game is the biggest issue in today's current NHL IMO

that, and #garageleague nonsense

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16726042)

:thumbsup

Agreed. I can't imagine what the NY Rangers would be like if they were still allowed to pay insane money for aging stars. We sucked because we tried to buy players that were past their prime.

I am guessing The Rangers current lineup would look something like this:

Jagr $15mil/year for 37 years
Zdeno Chara $18mil/year for 15 years
Shane Doan $12mil/ year for 25 years
Jarome Iginla $9mil/year for 7 years
Ovechkin or Malkin at $25mil/year for 100 years or until death.

Roose13 02-23-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

We actually do. Unfortunately those trades didn't pan out in 2008 and 2010. Kinda like the Rangers and Lightning their opps the last few years.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726069)
:thumbsup

Agreed. I can't imagine what the NY Rangers would be like if they were still allowed to pay insane money for aging stars. We sucked because we tried to buy players that were past their prime.

I am guessing The Rangers current lineup would look something like this:

Jagr $15mil/year for 37 years
Zdeno Chara $18mil/year for 15 years
Shane Doan $12mil/ year for 25 years
Jarome Iginla $9mil/year for 7 years
Ovechkin or Malkin at $25mil/year for 100 years or until death.

I forgot about Hank, who would also get $100mil/year for 72 years

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16726036)

Impossible to resist but then again I am a simpleton like that! :)

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16726067)
The parity in the league right now is phenomenal. With the exception of a couple (ahem), almost every team in the league is good. That's awesome.

Isles were out of it a few weeks ago. Winnipeg wouldn't be in the league with a different system. And there is a problem with the luxury tax thing is teams spend over to keep a team together but can't really afford it. Tampa would have spent big money to keep that 2004 team together and it would have killed them financially. NBA tv deal helps keep their crap teams alive. NHL will never have a deal like that and that's not Bettman that's just the reality of where our sport is in the general US sports landscape and I'm ok with that.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 11:43 AM

Somehow my post that I quotes got deleted and doesn't exist anymore on the last page :lol

Anyway, I was agreeing with those that like the cap as it is.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726076)
Somehow my post that I quotes got deleted and doesn't exist anymore on the last page :lol

Anyway, I was agreeing with those that like the cap as it is.

Old Rangers would have been like "Over 33 years old? 8 year deal."

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 11:52 AM

Regarding the cap, I understand why it is in place and I may gripe a bit because it costs us guys (for example - I seriously doubt the Hawks have the room to resign Darling who has earned his pay-day) who were solid players but in all seriousness the cap has not crated quite the parity people expected, going back to 2009 look at the cup winners:

09 - PIT
10 - CHI
11 - BOS
12 - LA
13 - CHI
14 - LA
15 - CHI
16 - PIT

In 8 years only 1 team besides Pittsburgh, Chicago or LA has won and that was BOS who lost the final in 13 to Chicago. I don't know if you credit those organizations front offices, the playoff experience the players have, dumb luck or whatever but the cap is not creating parity if the same 3 teams have won 7 of the past 8 cups.

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 11:57 AM

It's about financial stability too. I truly believe the cap was put in place partly to protect teams from themselves. And in terms of winning, you can't control who wins you just have to keep it a level playing field. For the most part it is in the NHL. The NBA? I'd bet pretty good money GS and CLE are back in the finals. I'm glad I'm not a fan of that league bc unless you are a fan of one of those teams...why watch?

unccrombie 02-23-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726084)
Regarding the cap, I understand why it is in place and I may gripe a bit because it costs us guys (for example - I seriously doubt the Hawks have the room to resign Darling who has earned his pay-day) who were solid players but in all seriousness the cap has not crated quite the parity people expected, going back to 2009 look at the cup winners:

09 - PIT
10 - CHI
11 - BOS
12 - LA
13 - CHI
14 - LA
15 - CHI
16 - PIT

In 8 years only 1 team besides Pittsburgh, Chicago or LA has won and that was BOS who lost the final in 13 to Chicago. I don't know if you credit those organizations front offices, the playoff experience the players have, dumb luck or whatever but the cap is not creating parity if the same 3 teams have won 7 of the past 8 cups.

i disagree.
parity is seen in the regular season, over time.
parity is not defined through varying championships
the draft and the cap provide that as it takes teams 5-7 years to fully revamp.

aeroshady 02-23-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

09 - PIT
10 - CHI
11 - BOS
12 - LA
13 - CHI
14 - LA
15 - CHI
16 - PIT

Shouldn't this argument make you want the current cap to stay the same? Chicago has won 3 cups and were probably a goal away from winning it in 2014 as well.

Dramageek 02-23-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726096)
Shouldn't this argument make you want the current cap to stay the same? Chicago has won 3 cups and were probably a goal away from winning it in 2014 as well.

I guess this all depends on how you define "parity." I would also look at what teams have been making the playoffs. Teams like the Caps and Rags have had legit shots at the Cup. The Blue Jackets and Wild this year look poised to make a run. My question would be, despite the result of 3 teams winning 7 or the last 8 Cups, do more teams have a legit shot?

Another note about the Hainsey trade, the Hurricanes also retained half of his salary. That might account for the 2nd round pick being thrown in, ensuring the Pens don't run into Cap trouble and have to unload somebody.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16726094)
i disagree.

Agreed. You look at the standings on any given night, and it's hard to call anything. In just about any given game, it's tough to predict who will win. That's awesome to me. Agree also about the 5-7 year window. Toronto's starting to see it, Edmonton's starting to see it, Columbus is starting to see it. Meanwhile, teams like Boston and LA are starting to see the other side of it. All while still staying competitive. A lot of fun.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16726109)
Another note about the Hainsey trade, the Hurricanes also retained half of his salary. That might account for the 2nd round pick being thrown in, ensuring the Pens don't run into Cap trouble and have to unload somebody.

they have the option of putting Daley and/or Maata on LTIR as well, which would free up significant cap space

Dramageek 02-23-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16726127)
they have the option of putting Daley and/or Maata on LTIR as well, which would free up significant cap space

True, but they won't do that if they expect them to come back, right? Daley's due back in 6 weeks, so that should be right before the playoffs. I'm not as sure about Maata, though.

hailtopitt 02-23-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16726128)
True, but they won't do that if they expect them to come back, right? Daley's due back in 6 weeks, so that should be right before the playoffs. I'm not as sure about Maata, though.

which i don't get

like, if your options are:

1. Maata or Daley missing a few reg. season games, even though they are healthy, in order to complete another trade, or...

2. unable to complete a trade because of cap issues with Daley and Maata on the active roster

option 1 should be chosen every single time...these reg season games are just tune-ups for the Pens anyway

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16726094)
i disagree.

True, but we all know that for good teams the regular season is almost a tune up for the playoffs, getting lines clicking, drawing up plays, developing new players, getting new players integrated into the system and getting the highest seed you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726096)

I am not necessarily against a cap, I just think it should be higher. On an average night a team suits up 12 forewords, 6 or 7 defensemen and 2 goalies - that is 20 or 21 guys so if you divide it up against the hard cap each guy get roughly 3 mil a year which is an absurdly low salary for some of the better players in the league. It also handicaps teams that have a worldwide following, think about say NYR/PIT/CHI - you can go anywhere on the planet and probably see someone wearing a shirt or hat for one of these teams so when it comes to merchandise, tickets, TV contracts and stuff those teams are making the NHL boatloads of money - hell if you told me 20 years ago the Hawks would be more popular and a tougher ticket to get than the Bulls I'd have laughed into my beer but it happened. You can see the same thing happening in places like Minnesota, Edmonton or St. Louis - their teams are sparking an interest in the common sports fan that has been simply not there all along or has waned over the years - this is a good thing for the NHL to have teams go through a rebirth so to speak! Then their is the flip side, do you really think many people outside of TX are buying Dallas Stars stuff or people outside of the Carolina's buying Hurricanes gear - no, because no one really cares about them too much so they are not making much money for the NHL. Lastly, I also think in addition to the cap they should institute a salary FLOOR where if a team does not spend X mil on salaries they get fined or lose a draft pick - some sort of penalty that makes other teams to throw money around on putting a good product on the ice.

unccrombie 02-23-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726141)
True, but we all know that for good teams the regular season is almost a tune up for the playoffs, getting lines clicking, drawing up plays, developing new players, getting new players integrated into the system and getting the highest seed you can.

bolded has absolutely nothing to do with parity.

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16726145)
bolded has absolutely nothing to do with parity.

Agreed but my point was just that the parity the cap was predicted to create never really panned out as far as winning championships. Sure some teams do a better job dealing with the cap and staying competitive but then there is teams like AZ/CAR/CO who are just a joke - maybe they steal a few games in the regular season but they are not coming anywhere near a playoff berth let alone the possibility of a deep run to encourage the fan base and boost ticket/merchandise sales.

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 12:56 PM

Sorry to dump on CO Matty but I think even you would admit they are pretty bad and not exactly moving in the right direction.

unccrombie 02-23-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726155)
Agreed but my point was just that the parity the cap was predicted to create never really panned out as far as winning championships. Sure some teams do a better job dealing with the cap and staying competitive but then there is teams like AZ/CAR/CO who are just a joke - maybe they steal a few games in the regular season but they are not coming anywhere near a playoff berth let alone the possibility of a deep run to encourage the fan base and boost ticket/merchandise sales.

at the end of the day, parity = talent/competitiveness/yadda yadda. that most certainly exists in the NHL regular season.

I 100% disagree in believing the NHL wanted that to create that for solely championships. the ratings and general fan interest would be erratic and unfavorable.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726157)
Sorry to dump on CO Matty but I think even you would admit they are pretty bad and not exactly moving in the right direction.

No need to apologize. I've been saying in here for months (including my post about parity) how bad they are. But that's not the league's fault. That's poor drafting and signing decisions.

unccrombie 02-23-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16726172)
No need to apologize. I've been saying in here for months (including my post about parity) how bad they are. But that's not the league's fault. That's poor drafting and signing decisions.

ding ding. at the end of the day, the success of the team is only as good as it's front office.
you all had pieces and upside

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16726166)
at the end of the day, parity = talent/competitiveness/yadda yadda. that most certainly exists in the NHL regular season.

I 100% disagree in believing the NHL wanted that to create that for solely championships. the ratings and general fan interest would be erratic and unfavorable.

They needed everyone to be on a level playing field in terms of the cap. Like I said before, 2004 Wings had 77mil to payroll and the Preds had $23mil. And if you put some sort of luxury tax in, teams would milk it as much as possible and the difference would be there again. Not ad large but still there and the NHL can't afford that like MLB or NBA can.

Quote:

Right on. A cap can't help bad drafting. There is a lot of stuff that goes into it.

lockman21 02-23-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

09 - PIT
10 - CHI
11 - BOS
12 - LA
13 - CHI
14 - LA
15 - CHI
16 - PIT

I don't think that really defines parity though.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16726182)
I don't think that really defines parity though.

Correct. Parity is about leveling the playing field so that all teams have at least a fair shot at the playoffs and the Cup. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the Kings. It's about tight regular season races to get us excited for the playoffs.

And that's never been more apparent than right now, when there's only like, what, 3-4 teams with no chance of making the playoffs? That's awesome. (and yeah, yeah, I know that in reality that number of "no chancers" is probably a little higher, but you never know!)

TMoore4075 02-23-2017 01:32 PM

The Isles are in the playoffs now. No way I thought that a couple weeks ago.

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks, did not want you to think I was picking on you - I was just using CO as an example of a franchise that is doing virtually nothing to better themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16726180)
Like I said before, 2004 Wings had 77mil to payroll and the Preds had $23mil.

That is one of my gripes, teams that come nowhere near the cap, they use revenue to line the owners pockets rather than pay for better players. NHL needs to address that somehow, maybe a fine or loss of a draft choice if you don't spend X mil on salaries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16726206)
Correct. Parity is about leveling the playing field so that all teams have at least a fair shot at the playoffs and the Cup. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the Kings. It's about tight regular season races to get us excited for the playoffs.

Agreed, but to be honest a lot of it literally the tight regular season where the teams who have a legit chance are jockeying for playoff positions. Each and every one of us in here can post in October on who we think will make the playoffs and with a few exceptions we would likely all pick the same group of teams. Yeah, there will be the occasional Cinderella team (hell, look at last season, when it started I was certain PIT would be in the mix but by Jan 1st they looked awful but they rebounded) that will make it over some team most of us thought would get in but for the most part the people in this thread can evaluate teams well enough to tell if they are built for a playoff season or a deep run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16726214)
The Isles are in the playoffs now. No way I thought that a couple weeks ago.

I doubt they will make it, they just look a little better on paper because the past 4 games they eeked out a win against the Rags, split a pair with NJ and knocked off Detroit. In those 4 games alone Ladd collected a quarter of his season's goal total so that helped a bit. He has been underperforming. I do not see them as sellers just yet but if they did I would not blame them because even if they do make the playoffs they are going to get bounced PDQ.

fonzz41 02-23-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16726260)
Thanks, did not want you to think I was picking on you - I was just using CO as an example of a franchise that is doing virtually nothing to better themselves.

The problem is they have made some good decisions, but for every good decision, they make two bad ones. The ROR Trade? Good one (getting Zadorov). But then, couple that with letting Stastny walk and signing Iginla to that ridiculous deal.

Sakic isn't the worst GM in the world, and many of the problems with the current team are ones he inherited. But he definitely has some things to fix that were his doing. I applaud him, however, for not going for a quick fix. He's made some quiet in-season moves that were good ones (I'm thinking the waiver pick-ups of Barberio and Nieto, the latter has looked great). As for the big moves, he's holding his ground and waiting for the right deal. He knows this season is a wash, so there's no need to make a hurried deadline move. If the right offer doesn't come along, no big deal, just wait for the draft.

In all, this bottoming out, as dramatic as it is, was needed for a full re-calibration.

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16726282)
The problem is they have made some good decisions, but for every good decision, they make two bad ones. The ROR Trade? Good one (getting Zadorov). But then, couple that with letting Stastny walk and signing Iginla to that ridiculous deal.

Sakic isn't the worst GM in the world, and many of the problems with the current team are ones he inherited. But he definitely has some things to fix that were his doing. I applaud him, however, for not going for a quick fix. He's made some quiet in-season moves that were good ones (I'm thinking the waiver pick-ups of Barberio and Nieto, the latter has looked great). As for the big moves, he's holding his ground and waiting for the right deal. He knows this season is a wash, so there's no need to make a hurried deadline move. If the right offer doesn't come along, no big deal, just wait for the draft.

In all, this bottoming out, as dramatic as it is, was needed for a full re-calibration.

Trust me I get it entirely - I was a Whalers fan for 20 years and they constantly disappointed me (Ron Francis, Ulf Sameulson and Grant Jennings for John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski and Jeff Parker anyone lol) and being a Hawks fan from 1997 through say 2007 was not exactly a great ride either, same reasons too - bad signings, 1 step FWD and 2 back, etc, etc. I know it sounds dumb since the Hawks have 3 of the past 8 cups but I do know exactly how you feel because I have been there! :)

lockman21 02-23-2017 05:45 PM

Lol hey NHL, welcome to the Jonathan Toews show.

Jesus Lord have mercy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/BYhoMtJMQsYVy/giphy.gif

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16726475)
Lol hey NHL, welcome to the Jonathan Toews show.

Jesus Lord have mercy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/BYhoMtJMQsYVy/giphy.gif

Yeah, early on it was all Hawks, when Kane netted that to bring it to 3-1 I thought it would be a easy win. Few defensive breakdowns and a blunder by Crawford and we are tied at 3 after the first period. I need another beer!

and Happy Birthday Schmaltz!

aeroshady 02-23-2017 07:51 PM

Sick hat trick for Kane!

Rangers also made a nice comeback win! Hank was great!

Lcsulla 02-23-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726679)
Sick hat trick for Kane!

Rangers also made a nice comeback win! Hank was great!

Yeah, gotta love Hatrick Kane getting one 2 days after Toews gets a hat trick!

Hoping Hjarlmasson is OK but since he didn't practice yesterday or utilize the pre-game skate something had to be off if Q suited up 7 defenders. I am not overly concerned.

Agreed on Hank - dam solid game for him, well earned win even if it took him to stand tall in a shootout!

Brohan_Santana 02-23-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16726716)
Henrik has been pretty solid for the last couple games. Rangers will need him to play up to this level to be a serious Cup contender. He certainly has it in him

Not saying the team around him is useless, but he certainly would be the driving force behind the Rangers

aeroshady 02-24-2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16726717)
Not saying the team around him is useless, but he certainly would be the driving force behind the Rangers

The Rangers are pretty solid. 8-1-1 this month, they lead the NHL in road wins with 20, and they lead the NHL in third period goals. Derek Stepan is back as well which helps. I'm pretty happy with where the Rangers are. That said, I wouldn't be against bringing in some help on the blue line and another strong center.

~Crashintome89~ 02-24-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

That is one of my gripes, teams that come nowhere near the cap, they use revenue to line the owners pockets rather than pay for better players. NHL needs to address that somehow, maybe a fine or loss of a draft choice if you don't spend X mil on salaries.

Tim's example was from 2004, which was before the lockout. The big market teams like Detroit, Flyers, Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, and the Bruins could dish out millions of dollars to free agents because their owners were rich and didn't mind spending the money in the quest to keep their franchises successful.

The cap changed that completely, and for the better. I'd rather have a competitive league than let's say, four to six teams on a yearly basis who are light years better than everyone else.

lockman21 02-24-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

It's not NEARLY that simple. The CBA dictates that players and owners have a 50-50 share of hockey-related revenue. If you really want to get into the weeds...

It's article 49, which details the Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System (a.k.a the NHL's Revenue Sharing program). This guy does a much better job explaining it than I can:

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/6...gram-explained

But in short, it's not like owners can just chose to not pay players and that money goes straight into their pockets. The NHLPA would never allow that.

unccrombie 02-24-2017 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16726771)
The Rangers are pretty solid. 8-1-1 this month, they lead the NHL in road wins with 20, and they lead the NHL in third period goals. Derek Stepan is back as well which helps. I'm pretty happy with where the Rangers are. That said, I wouldn't be against bringing in some help on the blue line and another strong center.

he was rough last night, for sure. a couple (almost) costly turnovers in the 3rd and in OT.

aeroshady 02-24-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16726869)
he was rough last night, for sure. a couple (almost) costly turnovers in the 3rd and in OT.

I mean yeah, but he will help long term when he gets back up to speed. Just may take a little while. As long as he is good to go for the playoffs I will be happy!

TMoore4075 02-24-2017 09:44 AM

So Shatts has turned down a trade to TBL. I don't know why Tampa would want to tie him up to the $$ and term he's gonna get. They've got other things to work out and #1 d-man money when you have a #1 doesn't seem like a good investment to me when you've got other guys coming up to get paid. I see why Edmonton, Detroit, Boston, would pay him #1 money but I just don't know if I would do that in Tampa. Wonder if he gets moved at all.

aeroshady 02-24-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16727007)
So Shatts has turned down a trade to TBL. I don't know why Tampa would want to tie him up to the $$ and term he's gonna get. They've got other things to work out and #1 d-man money when you have a #1 doesn't seem like a good investment to me when you've got other guys coming up to get paid. I see why Edmonton, Detroit, Boston, would pay him #1 money but I just don't know if I would do that in Tampa. Wonder if he gets moved at all.

I am starting to think he will stay where he is. Cost is too high for most of the teams that are playoff bound, and if I am him, I'm not accepting a trade to a team that is trending the opposite way.