Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

gocubsgo3822 06-21-2014 02:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hawks vs caps used to be an amazing rivalry for gocubs support. Now it is nothing

lockman21 06-21-2014 03:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFish (Post 15427615)
Kessler wants the Hawks or the Pens allegedly...interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15427743)
Nice of him to pick two teams that can't afford him.

Just messing around, here's some potential I see for Chicago. If Kesler really wants out, Chicago could offer Oduya + picks or Oduya + prospects (i.e. Mark McNeill or something) and come up with a roster such as:

(assuming 15% retained salary by Vancouver)

Quote:

FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Ryan Kesler ($4.250m—15.00%) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Kris Versteeg ($2.200m)
Jeremy Morin ($1.000m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($0.633m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Adam Clendening ($0.743m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.200m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($1.250m)
BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,312,628; BONUSES: $312,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $787,372

bonzo48280 06-21-2014 03:58 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Trade Seabrook....that should clear up space....I'm down

kev87lads 06-21-2014 04:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Schedule coming out tomorrow. That seems way early..... But ok.

Flyers open @Bos on Wed. 10/8. Home versus Devils on Thurs., 10/9.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...id=DL|NHL|home

lockman21 06-21-2014 04:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15428322)
Trade Seabrook....that should clear up space....I'm down

Did Seabs have his best season? No. But he's certainly more affordable this year than he is next year. MAYBE next offseason if the cap hits of 88 and 19 become an issue with him, but this year he's fine. It all depends on where the cap ceiling is next (aka 2015-2016) offseason.

Stephen Johns is his potential replacement, and he's not quite ready to be thrown into the top pairing with arguably the best defenseman (or one of the 2-3 best) in the NHL for a Stanley Cup contender. If Bowman were reactionary and shipped of Kaner after his down 2010-2011 season like so many dummy internet armchair GMs were dying for, look where this team would be. Fact of the matter is, Seabrook has been said to be a huge vocal leader on this team, the locker room loves him, he is a great compliment to their top pairing, and is a top 4 defenseman on any team in the NHL right now. It's easy to pick on defenseman, just like it is a pitcher, QB, etc. The guy is still irreplaceable at this point on the blue line.

Also, he has a limited NTC that really limits the teams movement with him. Oduya has a much more flexible NTC than 7, is much less valuable to the Hawks blue line, much more replaceable by someone that's ready (Clendening aka Brian Campbell Jr. or Nick Leddy v2.0) for the NHL, is 3 years older, and much less of an integral part of this core. If a defenseman is going to go, it's going to be Leddy or Oduya. Both are much more replaceable at this point than Seabs.

I know you hate #7, but he's the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman on this team and is a great asset on the backend with his ability to move the puck with the stretch pass and anchor the PP on the point (a lot better than #2 has been, at least Seabs can get the puck to the net instead of the opponents shin pads). I like Leddy on the PP too, but he has a tenancy to just put his head down through the neutral zone, get the puck in there, and then fuck it up. He's still raw back there.

Oduya, Leddy and Versteeg. Possibly Rozsival. Those 4 I can see being moved to clear up cap space...not #7.

dmbetc 06-21-2014 06:40 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Kings home opener Oct 8th against the Sharks. It'll feel twice as sweet raising the banner that night!

Roose13 06-21-2014 08:00 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
That's just fucking cruel :lol

TMoore4075 06-21-2014 09:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Wings open against Boston at home it looks like.

UCFish 06-22-2014 03:59 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
So ready for next season already....

barbogast 06-22-2014 07:00 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT MY WIFE IS PREGNANT

:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce

(sorry for the total non-hockey post, but this is the only thread I'm a semi regular in, and this whole "can't tell anyone yet" thing really blows, so I figured the nhl thread on ants is a pretty safe place)

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 07:20 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15429438)
HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT MY WIFE IS PREGNANT

:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce

(sorry for the total non-hockey post, but this is the only thread I'm a semi regular in, and this whole "can't tell anyone yet" thing really blows, so I figured the nhl thread on ants is a pretty safe place)

Well I'm going to Facebook and telling everyone that we don't have in common. Congrats dude. First piece of fatherly advice...find the kid a different team to root for. ;-)

barbogast 06-22-2014 07:25 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15429441)
Well I'm going to Facebook and telling everyone that we don't have in common. Congrats dude. First piece of fatherly advice...find the kid a different team to root for. ;-)

Thanks! Yeah seriously, I almost feel bad dooming another human to a life full of disappointment and frustration


Ahh who am I kidding. I will name it Peter and he will be a 50 goal scoring right winger who prefers to wear #12 :D

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 07:32 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Just don't let the kid be named Alex for a boy or girl.

barbogast 06-22-2014 07:37 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
:lol never

edit: I do actually think Alexandra is pretty for a girl, but just no

salrx95 06-22-2014 07:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15429438)
HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT MY WIFE IS PREGNANT

:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce

(sorry for the total non-hockey post, but this is the only thread I'm a semi regular in, and this whole "can't tell anyone yet" thing really blows, so I figured the nhl thread on ants is a pretty safe place)

Congratulations. That is awesome news. Welcome to the club. Lots of luck. Exciting times for sure.

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 07:56 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
That is a nice name. In real fatherly advice, I dunno if this is your first, if it is, take it all in. They'll be times when you're stressed and you'll be tired but try not to let that get to you. I'm sure you'll hear that advice a thousand times but it's worth repeating. It'll fly by.

barbogast 06-22-2014 08:29 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15429448)
Congratulations. That is awesome news. Welcome to the club. Lots of luck. Exciting times for sure.

Thanks! Exciting times indeed

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15429452)
That is a nice name. In real fatherly advice, I dunno if this is your first, if it is, take it all in. They'll be times when you're stressed and you'll be tired but try not to let that get to you. I'm sure you'll hear that advice a thousand times but it's worth repeating. It'll fly by.

It is my first, and that was the first piece of advice my dad gave me when I told him yesterday. I'm sure I'll hear it again, but it's solid advice that I'll be sure to heed

dmbetc 06-22-2014 08:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Congratulations!!

dmbetc 06-22-2014 08:48 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I'm not a parent so I have no advice, just don't use a child leash.

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 09:03 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Sarah still goes around with a child leash on.

I wouldn't use one, but I'll be honest, there have been days it's entered my mind. lol

barbogast 06-22-2014 10:12 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15429465)
Congratulations!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15429466)
I'm not a parent so I have no advice, just don't use a child leash.

I actually work at a Toys R Us/Babies R Us and you'd be shocked how many of those we sell through/how often I see parents using them in the store. They freak me out honestly, the leashes

bonzo48280 06-22-2014 11:11 AM

Congrats Barbo!

dmbetc 06-22-2014 11:14 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15429470)
Sarah still goes around with a child leash on.

I wouldn't use one, but I'll be honest, there have been days it's entered my mind. lol

I wouldn't call it a child leash....

aeroshady 06-22-2014 11:34 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15429438)
HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I JUST FOUND OUT MY WIFE IS PREGNANT

:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce:multi:bounce

(sorry for the total non-hockey post, but this is the only thread I'm a semi regular in, and this whole "can't tell anyone yet" thing really blows, so I figured the nhl thread on ants is a pretty safe place)

Congrats man!!!!! :bounce

lockman21 06-22-2014 11:43 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Congrats man! Proposed name - Great8

barbogast 06-22-2014 12:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Thanks all! I will say, the fact that before the next season ends, I'll be watching Caps games with my child...kinda freaks me out


I'll keep that name in mind lockman :lol

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 12:29 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15429658)
Thanks all! I will say, the fact that before the next season ends, I'll be watching Caps games with my child...kinda freaks me out


I'll keep that name in mind lockman :lol

So a February or March birthday I'd guess? We found out about Griffin mid-July of 2010 and he was due March 31. It was great to have him snuggled in my arm. Of course I remember one day he wouldn't settle, wouldn't settle. And then when the game was over...fell asleep. lol Another night it was my time to feed a little after midnight or so. Then laid him down and saw the Wings/Coyotes game 4 was almost over and was able to watch the Wings sweep. He knew...lol

barbogast 06-22-2014 12:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15429687)
So a February or March birthday I'd guess? We found out about Griffin mid-July of 2010 and he was due March 31. It was great to have him snuggled in my arm. Of course I remember one day he wouldn't settle, wouldn't settle. And then when the game was over...fell asleep. lol Another night it was my time to feed a little after midnight or so. Then laid him down and saw the Wings/Coyotes game 4 was almost over and was able to watch the Wings sweep. He knew...lol

We haven't seen the actual pregnancy doctor yet (I've literally only known since Friday) but apparently she's 6 weeks along already, so by doing the math, should be mid to late February. That's an awesome story about your son watching them
sweep when he just weeks old. I can't wait for something like that. Of course I root for the Caps, so my child's first experience will likely be another missed postseason

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 12:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15429726)
We haven't seen the actual pregnancy doctor yet (I've literally only known since Friday) but apparently she's 6 weeks along already, so by doing the math, should be mid to late February. That's an awesome story about your son watching them
sweep when he just weeks old. I can't wait for something like that. Of course I root for the Caps, so my child's first experience will likely be another missed postseason

Or the team being swept. Actually, wouldn't blowing a 3-1 lead be more their style.

I remember my wife's math was like March 22 and then doctor said March 31 and he came just 4 days after my bday and showed up the 14th. It's an exciting time. I remember thinking I wouldn't be all that excited but I was. Like how this is what our hockey thread is today. Where's Matty to tell you what it's like to have two at once.

TMoore4075 06-22-2014 01:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Got a hockey name that goes for boy or girl. Nickie after Backstrom.

salrx95 06-22-2014 01:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15429745)
Got a hockey name that goes for boy or girl. Nickie after Backstrom.

Speakng as an Islander's fan, just don't use the name Dale, which I guess could be female, too (?).

And Olaf could be weird for the kid. Just sayin'.

barbogast 06-22-2014 02:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
My wife hates Nickie as a girl's name so we can't go that way. And don't worry Sal, I think Dale is an awful name. Also, no go on Olaf, since we're not European. It does seem like there's a real chance if it's a boy his name will be Peter. We both like that one a lot. Not to mention the Bonzai connection

Thanks again for all the congrats, guys. The internet is an awesome place sometimes

~Crashintome89~ 06-22-2014 06:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Rico Fata Barbogast.

You are welcome.

kev87lads 06-22-2014 07:29 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Way to be Barbo! Exciting times ahead. There's a few of us parents in here. Hit us up if you need anything.

~Crashintome89~ 06-23-2014 12:18 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hey Sarah, I heard that Obama called Dustin again to congratulate him. Can you provide any insight?

dmbetc 06-23-2014 12:33 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15431129)
Hey Sarah, I heard that Obama called Dustin again to congratulate him. Can you provide any insight?

Just asked Dustin. Said he talked to Obama and told him it's BS he's a Blackhawks fan.

Roose13 06-23-2014 12:50 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15431151)
Just asked Dustin. Said he talked to Obama and told him it's BS he's a Blackhawks fan.

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAA:lol

~Crashintome89~ 06-23-2014 01:42 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Yahoo had a video, I think of the 2012 phone call. I would imagine the 2014 phone call was the same.

:lol :lol

Seriously, that's awesome though.

dmbetc 06-23-2014 01:56 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Two favorite photos from the party tonight:

http://i.imgur.com/revXh0w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tm2YQCy.jpg

~Crashintome89~ 06-23-2014 02:58 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I don't think I can ever be real life friends with Sarah knowing that she kissed the Stanley Cup with Jeff Carter's name on it (twice!).

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 08:24 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
In case anyone didn't see it on youtube, this is a great piece done by TSN about the Pens choking to get Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLmRmRTnu8

DynastyDrummer1 06-23-2014 09:26 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Just got back from a week and a half vacation in Belize and am sad to see that Leino was finally waived. Who is gonna lead the tank for McDavid now?!

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 09:51 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 15431372)
Just got back from a week and a half vacation in Belize and am sad to see that Leino was finally waived. Who is gonna lead the tank for McDavid now?!

Is anyone going to be as bad as the Sabres next year? I mean the end of year standings, there is no one really close. Maybe Florida but they at least have some talent.

bradshaw06 06-23-2014 12:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hartnell and Umberger swapped.

lockman21 06-23-2014 12:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15431954)
Hartnell and Umberger swapped.

God damnit, now I have to hate the Blue Jackets.

DynastyDrummer1 06-23-2014 12:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15431444)
Is anyone going to be as bad as the Sabres next year? I mean the end of year standings, there is no one really close. Maybe Florida but they at least have some talent.

Another team would have to implode to get near Buffalo next year. They're most likely going to be rolling out a very similar lineup to what they had this year with some of the youth sprinkled in.

No matter who we draft at #2 we're still looking at top lines of Foligno-Ennis-Stafford and Hodgson-Girgensons-Stewart. If that doesn't scream last place I don't know what does....

kev87lads 06-23-2014 12:49 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Don't get this move. Other than Umberger has a shorter contract and is a bit better of a two-way player. But I guess Hextall wasn't kidding when he says he wants to build with the draft. So maybe it was only about the extra 4th rounder they got.

Roose13 06-23-2014 01:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hartnell/Dubinsky trade accomplished nothing. Bummed though. I liked Hartsy. Nice guy as well.

fonzz41 06-23-2014 01:09 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Just read that Umberger had asked out of CBJ. Becs, can you confirm?

~Crashintome89~ 06-23-2014 01:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Umberger was probably going to be bought out anyway.

Apparently, Hartnell asked out of Philly.

This is strange and weird and I don't know how to feel about it.

Rebecca De Mornay 06-23-2014 02:03 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15432022)
Just read that Umberger had asked out of CBJ. Becs, can you confirm?

Yes that's true, he wanted a trade after being a healthy scratch several games down the stretch last year. He kept his mouth shut about it until the season was over though.

I like this move for CBJ, opens the door for Kesler

Rebecca De Mornay 06-23-2014 02:10 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hartnell will be 3rd line LW on CBJ

I'll take 52 points from that position.

lockman21 06-23-2014 02:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15432124)
Umberger was probably going to be bought out anyway.

Apparently, Hartnell asked out of Philly.

This is strange and weird and I don't know how to feel about it.

Yeah, apparently this is a pretty damn good trade for Columbus, but something that works for Philly too.

One of those "works for both sides" type deals.

lockman21 06-23-2014 02:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Horton and Hartnell on the same team.

Ugh.

bradshaw06 06-23-2014 02:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
kind of weird coincidence, i guess Homer fell asleep last year:
June 23rd, 2011 - Philadelphia trades Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, 8th overall (Sean Couturier), and a 3rd rounder (Nick Cousins). Philadelphia trades Mike Richards and Rob Bordson to Los Angeles for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd rounder (later traded to Dallas).

June 23rd, 2012 - Philadelphia trades James VanRiemsdyk to Toronto for Luke Schenn.

June 23rd, 2014 - Philadelphia trades Scott Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger and a 4th round pick.

kev87lads 06-23-2014 02:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15432202)
Horton and Hartnell on the same team.

Ugh.

Maybe this was mentioned somewhere else but I like that your "shows seen" thing says 228. What a number!

Edit: Make it higher!

bradshaw06 06-23-2014 02:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15432229)
Maybe this was mentioned somewhere else but I like that your "shows seen" thing says 228. What a number!

Edit: Make it higher!

:lol I wonder what gregs studio was like

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 03:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15432202)
Horton and Hartnell on the same team.

Ugh.

Horton will be hurt so so don't even include him...

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 03:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Hall of fame class is Dom (duh), Rob Blake, Mike Modano, Peter the Great, Bill McCreary and the best one in my mind, Pat Burns.

Rebecca De Mornay 06-23-2014 03:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15432294)
Horton will be hurt so so don't even include him...

:lol wings fan talking about injuries.

fonzz41 06-23-2014 03:24 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15432307)
Hall of fame class is Dom (duh), Rob Blake, Mike Modano, Peter the Great, Bill McCreary and the best one in my mind, Pat Burns.

Great class :thumbsup

Bout time for Pat!

Rebecca De Mornay 06-23-2014 03:29 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Kekalainen on Hartnell: "He said ’I’m 32 years old. I have plenty of money. What I want to do more than anything now is win."

— Aaron Portzline (Aportzline)

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 03:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15432327)
:lol wings fan talking about injuries.

Horton has probably lost as many games due to injury in his career as the entire Wings team last year. ;)

JRS1386 06-23-2014 06:08 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Well Brayden Schenn got an extension, not sure money details yet

lockman21 06-23-2014 06:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15432232)
:lol I wonder what gregs studio was like

It was ok, I guess. Kinda boring.

dmbetc 06-23-2014 07:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
This is an awesome video: http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...822&catid=1327

TMoore4075 06-23-2014 07:27 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Alfie back for one more year and most likely back with Detroit.

dmbetc 06-23-2014 10:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15432224)
kind of weird coincidence, i guess Homer fell asleep last year:
June 23rd, 2011 - Philadelphia trades Jeff Carter to Columbus for Jakub Voracek, 8th overall (Sean Couturier), and a 3rd rounder (Nick Cousins). Philadelphia trades Mike Richards and Rob Bordson to Los Angeles for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd rounder (later traded to Dallas).

June 23rd, 2012 - Philadelphia trades James VanRiemsdyk to Toronto for Luke Schenn.

June 23rd, 2014 - Philadelphia trades Scott Hartnell to Columbus for RJ Umberger and a 4th round pick.

Just was reading this. Philly doesn't seem to have luck when trading on June 23rd.

~Crashintome89~ 06-23-2014 11:22 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
How Eric Lindros is not in the HHoF is mind boggling.

monkeyman68 06-24-2014 12:01 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Very happy with the move. RJ is more versatile and will be able to be a contributor to the team for the length of this contract.

Hartnell's best quality is that he is good to have in the locker room. Not sure if spending 4.75 million for the next 5 years on a "glue guy" is the best allocation of said funds. Hartnell's best days are behind him. As he gets older and slower(!), he really won't have a roll on a team other than a PP "specialist" (and I use that term loosely).

RJ is getting overpaid with that contract but at least he can add something to the team when he isn't putting up points (which cannot be said about Hartnell).

At the end of the day, Hartnell and Vinny's contracts were huge albatrosses for the Flyers. Impossible for them to be serious contenders when 9.25 million/year is being eaten up by two stiffs.

Now Hexy just needs to find a sucker for Vinny's contract......

~Crashintome89~ 06-24-2014 12:02 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Cannot wait for Zilla melt on acquiring Umberger.

JRS1386 06-24-2014 01:06 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
He doesn't know what hockey is anymore

barbogast 06-24-2014 07:01 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Calle Johannson leaves Caps for "personal reasons". More like "because he's a shit defensive coach"

TMoore4075 06-24-2014 08:58 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15433446)
How Eric Lindros is not in the HHoF is mind boggling.

What will always hurt him will be the shortness of his greatness.

~Crashintome89~ 06-24-2014 09:52 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15433811)
What will always hurt him will be the shortness of his greatness.

If Cam Neely is in and Pavel Bure is in, there should be no reason why Lindros is NOT in.

He was the best player in the 90's outside of Jagr.

TMoore4075 06-24-2014 09:58 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15433927)
If Cam Neely is in and Pavel Bure is in, there should be no reason why Lindros is NOT in.

He was the best player in the 90's outside of Jagr.

True about Bure. But Cam is Sea Bass....Sea Bass.

fonzz41 06-24-2014 10:16 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15433446)
How Eric Lindros is not in the HHoF is mind boggling.

Whether or not guys get in to the HHOF these days is - for better or worse - a lot of the time based on stats and hardware. Personal skill goes into it certainly, but they seem to try to find what they feel is the right combination of excellent consistent play and accolades. It's not always the case, but that's what I've observed.

As a 7-time all-star and Hart winner, Lindros is right there. And while he was injured an awful lot, I think his 865 points in 760 games is pretty indicative of excellence. Is the shortness of his playing career playing a part in all this? Perhaps. I know the "what ifs" surrounding Lindros's career can be both frustrating and heartbreaking. You know how I'm not big on "just" stats though, so I will say that when Lindros was on and skating with his head up, the list of more dominant peers in the NHL at the time was very small.

I compare his situation a lot to Forsberg's in terms of shortness of career and "what ifs". Lindros played 13 seasons (if I'm counting correctly) compared to Forsberg's 14 (15 if you count the couple games he played for the Avs in 2011). Forsberg finished with 885 points in 708 games, 7-time all star (like Lindros), a Calder, an Art Ross, a Hart, and two Stanley Cups. Similar stats, a bit more hardware. Getting away from stats, I don't know if there was a more complete player than Forsberg when he was in his prime.

I think Lindros could make it in eventually. I'm sure this is very cynical of me, but I'm starting to gauge HHOF worthiness on the "Cicarelli Scale"... In other words, are they better than him? If so, let 'em in!

TMoore4075 06-24-2014 10:46 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I thought comparing him to Peter but yeah Peter has more hardware on every level. Hell, he won the scoring race in the 2002 playoffs and only played the first 3 rounds...Guess he was making up for missing the last 2 rounds in 2001.

lockman21 06-24-2014 11:21 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15433560)
Cannot wait for Zilla melt on acquiring Umberger.

You're looking forward to next April?

fonzz41 06-24-2014 11:56 AM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15434094)
I thought comparing him to Peter but yeah Peter has more hardware on every level. Hell, he won the scoring race in the 2002 playoffs and only played the first 3 rounds...Guess he was making up for missing the last 2 rounds in 2001.

Yeah. I like the comparison due to the overall games played, a similar career path, playing in the same era, and hype surrounding them. Hell, there's even the Philly/Quebec connection.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15434163)
You're looking forward to next April?

Hey O!!! :lol

barbogast 06-24-2014 12:08 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15434163)
You're looking forward to next April?

:lol :lol :thumbsup


As for Lindros, that's a bit of a tough one. Like Matty said, when he was 100% and playing to his potential, he was easily one of the most dominate and effective players of his time. But he didn't really win much. Not that guys haven't gotten into the Hall without winning much, because they have. However, it's hard to argue with 865 points in 760 games. That's impressive.

The Forsberg comparison is okay, but Peter won a lot of important hardware. I would easily put Forsberg in the HOF before Lindros, but I think eventually he should get in too. That stat line combined with the eye test is enough for me. There's no denying he was one of the best true power forwards to ever hit the ice. He should get in, IMO.

fonzz41 06-24-2014 12:12 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15434295)
:lol :lol :thumbsup


As for Lindros, that's a bit of a tough one. Like Matty said, when he was 100% and playing to his potential, he was easily one of the most dominate and effective players of his time. But he didn't really win much. Not that guys haven't gotten into the Hall without winning much, because they have. However, it's hard to argue with 865 points in 760 games. That's impressive.

The Forsberg comparison is okay, but Peter won a lot of important hardware. I would easily put Forsberg in the HOF before Lindros, but I think eventually he should get in too. That stat line combined with the eye test is enough for me. There's no denying he was one of the best true power forwards to ever hit the ice. He should get in, IMO.

As would I, certainly. I use Forsberg as a measuring stick for the reasons I mentioned above, but I wasn't trying to imply too much that they were equal players. Perhaps it's my bias shining through, but watching Forsberg play in his prime was a treat. He did EVERYTHING well EVERYWHERE on the ice. He was the perfect combination of finesse and grit, and had the attitude that you wanted on your team. Not afraid to get in people's faces, but also quietly went about doing his job. No spats with coaches, teammates, etc. (at least none that were made public). Damn, he was amazing.

Again, I use the Cicarelli rule a lot... Not a huge knock on the guy, but if I were to take all the HHOF guys and rank them, I think Dino would be at or near the bottom. It's pretty easy at that point to make a call... are they as good or better than Dino?

I do think Lindros gets in.

barbogast 06-24-2014 12:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Yeah the Cicarelli rule is a good one. Still a little puzzled as to why he's even there, and he might even be in as a Capital. Though I think he's in as a North Star

barbogast 06-24-2014 12:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
And for the record, Peter Forsberg is a first ballot Hall of Famer. No question about it

TMoore4075 06-24-2014 01:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15434335)
Yeah the Cicarelli rule is a good one. Still a little puzzled as to why he's even there, and he might even be in as a Capital. Though I think he's in as a North Star

17th all time in goals, 7th by right wingers. That's why. I mean you can argue he's not as good as other guys and others should be in ahead of him, but that's still a lot of goals.

fonzz41 06-24-2014 02:00 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15434713)
17th all time in goals, 7th by right wingers. That's why. I mean you can argue he's not as good as other guys and others should be in ahead of him, but that's still a lot of goals.

Yep. Not saying he doesn't belong there. But again, if I'm gonna rank all the guys in the HHOF, he's definitely near the bottom. Lowest common denominator, and the perfect measuring stick IMO.

~Crashintome89~ 06-24-2014 03:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15434340)
And for the record, Peter Forsberg is a first ballot Hall of Famer. No question about it

I don't think anyone was questioning that anyway. :lol

fonzz41 06-24-2014 03:17 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Well, I guess this settles it: ;)

Quote:

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross now @mthacker52: @Buccigross Lindros - HHOF?---yes for me

fonzz41 06-24-2014 03:18 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15435042)
I don't think anyone was questioning that anyway. :lol

Igor Larionov might feel differently...

fonzz41 06-24-2014 03:25 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
OMG I really hope O'Reilly wins the Byng tonight.

DynastyDrummer1 06-24-2014 03:26 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=386033

Taro Tsujimoto, my favorite Sabres draft story.

TMoore4075 06-24-2014 03:35 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 15435084)
http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=386033

Taro Tsujimoto, my favorite Sabres draft story.

Never heard that story until yesterday, and laughed my ass off.

fonzz41 06-24-2014 03:50 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I giggled. That is awesome.

And that sucks that they did the draft that way... what a pain.

UCFish 06-24-2014 03:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Patrick Sharp allegedly on the trading block....not sure how I feel about that.

fonzz41 06-24-2014 03:59 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Now NHL on NBC tweeting about whether Lindros belongs in the HHOF. I am 18% certain this is because of my tweet to Bucci. And it all started here on Ants with a simple statement from our dearest Matt (Flyers Matt, not me Matt)

JRS1386 06-24-2014 04:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15435170)
Now NHL on NBC tweeting about whether Lindros belongs in the HHOF. I am 18% certain this is because of my tweet to Bucci. And it all started here on Ants with a simple statement from our dearest Matt (Flyers Matt, not me Matt)

You clarified which Matt it was by saying dearest, no one will ever confuse that adjective with you

fonzz41 06-24-2014 04:18 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
This is true. So. True.

dmbetc 06-24-2014 04:23 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Is everyone watching the awards?

~Crashintome89~ 06-24-2014 04:45 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15435170)
Now NHL on NBC tweeting about whether Lindros belongs in the HHOF. I am 18% certain this is because of my tweet to Bucci. And it all started here on Ants with a simple statement from our dearest Matt (Flyers Matt, not me Matt)


I make the internet go round.

bradshaw06 06-24-2014 07:08 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Anyone read about this Ho-Sang kid? Cocky doesn't even begin to describe.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24...joshua-ho-sang


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.