Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

JRS1386 01-09-2019 06:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread: featuring Gritty, the regular season mascot champ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17348069)
So - what happened to the Flyers? Didn't they have a bunch of top prospects over the last 5 years?

They still do...

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/n...l16bxvtds5dacu (Ranked #2)

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl...l?guccounter=1 (Ranked #2)

https://dobberprospects.com/2018-19-...ects-rankings/ (Ranked #1)

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/08...nkings-top-10/ (Ranked #6)

Lcsulla 01-09-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17346743)
Tom Wilson has the 2nd most goals ( only second to the league leader) on the Caps - he’s done this while missing 1/2 of the season to suspension and a concussion

Sometimes I wish the Hawks had a guy like him to goon up a bit, yeah they have Hayden, Kampf and Murphy who can deliver crushing checks but they are rarely dirty - the only guy who gets pissed and snaps is Keith and that is few and few between.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17348069)
So - what happened to the Flyers? Didn't they have a bunch of top prospects over the last 5 years?

Dude, you are talking about a team who traded Patrick Sharpe to Chicago for peanuts and Sharpe went on to win 3 cups, score almost 300 goals (plus 37 more in the playoffs), over 300 assists (plus 40 in the postseason) and register 620 points - plus an additional 87 playoff points and lastly end his career as a + 39! Add in an All Star game MVP and a Olympic gold and you have one helluva career for a second liner who could play any FWD position on any line. That was as dumb a deal as when the Whalers sent Francis, Samuelson and Jennings to PIT for 3 nobodies who helped Lemieux and company win 2 cups.

Brohan_Santana 01-09-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17348163)
Sometimes I wish the Hawks had a guy like him to goon up a bit, yeah they have Hayden, Kampf and Murphy who can deliver crushing checks but they are rarely dirty - the only guy who gets pissed and snaps is Keith and that is few and few between.

Dude, you are talking about a team who traded Patrick Sharpe to Chicago for peanuts and Sharpe went on to win 3 cups, score almost 300 goals (plus 37 more in the playoffs), over 300 assists (plus 40 in the postseason) and register 620 points - plus an additional 87 playoff points and lastly end his career as a + 39! Add in an All Star game MVP and a Olympic gold and you have one helluva career for a second liner who could play any FWD position on any line. That was as dumb a deal as when the Whalers sent Francis, Samuelson and Jennings to PIT for 3 nobodies who helped Lemieux and company win 2 cups.

honestly at this point Wilson doesn't goon it up - he's being watched constantly and doesn't have a leash

He constantly is getting bated every single shit though - really wish the refs would catch up with the instigator penalties

Roose13 01-10-2019 05:10 AM

What the fuck does trading Patrick Sharp have to do with the current team? They’ve been through several GMs and coaches since, and their owner is dead. A dumb response to a dumb question.

JRS1386 01-10-2019 05:22 AM

The Flyers traded away someone who averaged 0.35 points per game in 128 games played. What a shit show

barbogast 01-10-2019 05:27 AM

I’m personally taking great enjoyment in watching shit go terribly for the Flyers. Keep it up :thumbsup

kev87lads 01-10-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17348223)
I’m personally taking great enjoyment in watching shit go terribly for the Flyers. Keep it up :thumbsup

You just shut your mouth Barbo!

bradshaw06 01-10-2019 07:14 AM

Sounds like things are getting spicy in Columbus

fonzz41 01-10-2019 09:20 AM

I'm never one to blame goaltending, but when the Avs play two games in two nights against good teams, have twice the amount of shots on goal (41-21 against the Jets, 35-16 against the Flames) and STILL lose 7-4 and 5-3 respectively, there's a problem in net. It hurts when the team is playing as well as they have the past three games (it was baaaaad for a while before that) but still have to score 5+ goals just to have a chance at winning.

mr.MikeD 01-10-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17348437)
I'm never one to blame goaltending, but when the Avs play two games in two nights against good teams, have twice the amount of shots on goal (41-21 against the Jets, 35-16 against the Flames) and STILL lose 7-4 and 5-3 respectively, there's a problem in net. It hurts when the team is playing as well as they have the past three games (it was baaaaad for a while before that) but still have to score 5+ goals just to have a chance at winning.

What's shaking here? MacKinnon so mad he's falling off the bench...

fonzz41 01-10-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 17348445)
What's shaking here? MacKinnon so mad he's falling off the bench...

:lol As concerning as it is, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that. But honestly, stuff happens on the bench when players and coaches are frustrated. Bednar is frustrated, MacKinnon is frustrated, and things boiled over. And honestly, they should be frustrated. Now it's about calming down, acknowledging the frustrated feelings, and moving forward in a constructive way. I think that happens more often than not in these situations.

I did like Landeskog leaning in there and being like, "dude, chill out." That's why he's got the C.

Brohan_Santana 01-10-2019 12:21 PM

First game since Marchand fought Eller, for ?????

Would love to see a one punch KO from Wilson to level the self proclaimed goon

barbogast 01-10-2019 12:57 PM

From the Blue Jackets GM:

Quote:

”There are certain expectations and values that we have established for our players that define our culture. An incident occurred in which Sergei [Bobrovsky] failed to meet those expectations and values, so we made the decision that he would not be with the team for tonight’s game. This is an internal matter and we will have no further comment at this time.”
Soooo...what the fuck is that about?

barbogast 01-10-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17348738)
First game since Marchand fought Eller, for ?????

Would love to see a one punch KO from Wilson to level the self proclaimed goon

I personally hope no one on the Caps gives Marchand a thought at all. If he asks for a fight then sure, but I’d leave it be unless he instigates

mr.MikeD 01-10-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17348458)
:lol As concerning as it is, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that. But honestly, stuff happens on the bench when players and coaches are frustrated. Bednar is frustrated, MacKinnon is frustrated, and things boiled over. And honestly, they should be frustrated. Now it's about calming down, acknowledging the frustrated feelings, and moving forward in a constructive way. I think that happens more often than not in these situations.

I did like Landeskog leaning in there and being like, "dude, chill out." That's why he's got the C.

Haha totally. I think Laskeskog might have actually knocked him off the bench.

barbogast 01-10-2019 05:16 PM

Good lord every time we play the Bruins I find a reason to hate them.

Where’s the fucking boarding call on the hit on Oshie? Or we could call it a charge. Either one. Or both. Definitely not neither. That was garbage.

Brohan_Santana 01-10-2019 05:34 PM

https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/st...157670912?s=21

Marchand won’t akin for his sin - bitch

Brohan_Santana 01-10-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17349016)
Good lord every time we play the Bruins I find a reason to hate them.

Where’s the fucking boarding call on the hit on Oshie? Or we could call it a charge. Either one. Or both. Definitely not neither. That was garbage.

It’s the uniform’s that does it for me

Roose13 01-10-2019 06:52 PM

Holy shit the Flyers won!

barbogast 01-10-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17349059)
Holy shit the Flyers won!

Hey hey! 14th place! Things are looking up!!!

barbogast 01-11-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17349030)
https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/st...157670912?s=21

Marchand won’t akin for his sin - bitch

Ya know, I’m not huge on the nhl street justice mentality, but Marchand sure did turtle up right there. What a loser. His comments after further solidify his place as the least likeable person in the sport.

barbogast 01-11-2019 04:32 AM

I just feel like if you’re going to literally jump a guy (as in land punches before the other dude even realizes he’s in a fight, which is what happened) you can’t just turtle when that player challenges you the next game. Like it was Eller himself that wanted to go. It wasn’t Wilson trying to stick up for him, it was Eller sticking up for himself. And, because Lars isn’t a classless piece of shit, he wouldn’t start throwing punches until Marchand dropped and got squared, which he didn’t, because he’s a loser. Amazing how people defend that guy.

swordo84 01-11-2019 05:03 AM

Marchand is the guy everyone hates until he's on your team.

Roose13 01-11-2019 05:12 AM

Lol Marchand said Eller only plays 12 minutes. Try 17, bozo.

barbogast 01-11-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17349160)
Marchand is the guy everyone hates until he's on your team.

I’m not sure that’s actually applicable though. That’s a common refrain about guys like that that I don’t think really holds water.

Example: when Matt Cooke came to the Capitals, I still hated him, thought he was a massive piece of shit, and couldn’t wait until he wore someone else’s jersey

barbogast 01-11-2019 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17349164)
Lol Marchand said Eller only plays 12 minutes. Try 17, bozo.

And I don’t really know for sure because I don’t honestly care, but I’d be pretty surprised if Marchand really did average 20 minutes a night

swordo84 01-11-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17349165)
I’m not sure that’s actually applicable though. That’s a common refrain about guys like that that I don’t think really holds water.

Example: when Matt Cooke came to the Capitals, I still hated him, thought he was a massive piece of shit, and couldn’t wait until he wore someone else’s jersey

Big difference between the two is their inherent skill level though. Marchand, despite being a doucher has a fantastic skill set. Matt Cooke? Nah dawg.

swordo84 01-11-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17349166)
And I don’t really know for sure because I don’t honestly care, but I’d be pretty surprised if Marchand really did average 20 minutes a night

Just looked it up, he's averaging 19:50.

barbogast 01-11-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17349187)
Big difference between the two is their inherent skill level though. Marchand, despite being a doucher has a fantastic skill set. Matt Cooke? Nah dawg.

Ok but the point remains. Marchand has proven to be a player who plays over the line with intention. He may be a pest but he’s also a dirty player. That’s not ok, no matter how high his skill level is. It’s actually quite disappointing to see. Marchand could be the best pest maybe ever if he’d stop with the dirty plays and the hypocritical nonsense like we saw last night. But he doesn’t care to so pretty much fuck that guy. And he’s been at this for YEARS. I hope he never wears my team’s colors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 17349190)
Just looked it up, he's averaging 19:50.

Well, I’ll eat my words on this then.

swordo84 01-11-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17349213)
Ok but the point remains. Marchand has proven to be a player who plays over the line with intention. He may be a pest but he’s also a dirty player. That’s not ok, no matter how high his skill level is. It’s actually quite disappointing to see. Marchand could be the best pest maybe ever if he’d stop with the dirty plays and the hypocritical nonsense like we saw last night. But he doesn’t care to so pretty much fuck that guy. And he’s been at this for YEARS. I hope he never wears my team’s colors.

I agree about the dirty plays, no doubt. When it's all said and done though I'd still be happy to have him on my team. We'll just have to agree to disagree.