Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 02-23-2018 11:47 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Golden Knights are alright)

Man Cole finally gets moved. Dunno how i feel. I know he wasnt being re-signed but he has improved.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 17026029)
Man Cole finally gets moved. Dunno how i feel. I know he wasnt being re-signed but he has improved.

Lebrun saying Ottawa plans to flip Cole again before the deadline.

I really enjoyed watching Cole over the last few seasons. He's no Kris Letang, but was a solid, steady presence. Played his heart out for the Pens. :thumbsup

Brohan_Santana 02-23-2018 11:53 AM

Were Penns really that weak down the centre

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2018 11:57 AM

wonder if this forces hextall to make a deal now considering that the penns and flyers are gonna be first round opponents.

Dramageek 02-23-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17026035)

Definitely less depth than last year. But I thought Sheahan was coming along, and the fourth line was starting to produce. I’ll be sorry to see Cole go. But with two cups in the last two years, I’ll trust GMJR’s moves :lol

kev87lads 02-23-2018 12:01 PM

That seems like a lot to give up, no?

Dramageek 02-23-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 17026046)
That seems like a lot to give up, no?

Pens are fine at goalie and their first round picks are going to be late in the round. Adding Cole seems a little steep, but the writing seemed to be on the wall for him. I’m ok with it if the team thinks Brassard fills a hole.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:04 PM

Interesting perspective in regards to some of the powerhouse teams of the last decade. Do you go all in and win as much as you can while you can, build up fanbase support by doing so, then allow yourself to suck for a while until you draft more superstars?

Quote:

@THNMattLarkin
We're talking in the office now about how Penguins have really cleaned out their farm system.

I say good on them. Remain in their Cup window, only have so many prime years left of Crosby/Malkin/Kessel. Keep going for it. You can be terrible in 2025 and draft a superstar again!

YouNeverKnow25 02-23-2018 12:05 PM

didn't they have to give up cole to make the cap numbers work

Dramageek 02-23-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17026051)
Interesting perspective in regards to some of the powerhouse teams of the last decade. Do you go all in and win as much as you can while you can, build up fanbase support by doing so, then allow yourself to suck for a while until you draft more superstars?

Well it’s sure worked for them! I, for one, will welcome the second coming of Rico Fata! :lol

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17026055)
didn't they have to give up cole to make the cap numbers work

Yes. Ottawa, in turn, will try to flip him.

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17026051)

The thing is though, the Pens did this after 2009. They went for broke, and didn't get anything out of it. It was only until 2015 or so that they kept their picks and relied on guys like Murray, Sheary, etc.

jrkarger 02-23-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 17026035)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 17026044)
Definitely less depth than last year. But I thought Sheahan was coming along, and the fourth line was starting to produce. I’ll be sorry to see Cole go. But with two cups in the last two years, I’ll trust GMJR’s moves :lol

That’s been a bit of a myth around these parts as of late. Sheahan’s numbers have very similar to Bonino’s.

But now, they have what I would think is better depth than the last two years (speaking in terms of center only)

Sid, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan >>>>>> Sid, Malkin, Bonino, Cullen

And @ YNK, Mark Madden just said an Ottawa radio station saying Sens keeping some of Brassards salary.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 17026057)
Well it’s sure worked for them! I, for one, will welcome the second coming if Rico Fata! :lol

:lol

But seriously, the idea of building a "consistently" strong team seems less and less of a reality in the cap world where you have to fork over major cash to your superstars. So maybe instead of long-term consistency you plan for a few years of major peaks, followed by a few years of valleys, then hopefully draft well enough during the valley years to get back to the peaks. In that sense, "mortgaging the future" maybe isn't that bad of an idea, especially when you've got Crosbys, Malkins, Kessels, and Letangs on your roster?

YouNeverKnow25 02-23-2018 12:14 PM

I think the last part of what you said is the most important. I don't see how it's a debate: you've got a collection of top-line talent right now that puts you among the best in the league if not the best. what exactly are you planning for in the future that you don't think you should do your best to win with that group? guys who project to that level are not in your system, and aren't on the board when you're drafting.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17026063)
The thing is though, the Pens did this after 2009. They went for broke, and didn't get anything out of it. It was only until 2015 or so that they kept their picks and relied on guys like Murray, Sheary, etc.

Yes, the Pens are an interesting case. I think the key behind the idea is that you win while you can, then hopefully draft very well while you suck.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 17026070)
I think the last part of what you said is the most important. I don't see how it's a debate: you've got a collection of top-line talent right now that puts you among the best in the league if not the best. what exactly are you planning for in the future that you don't think you should do your best to win with that group? guys who project to that level are not in your system, and aren't on the board when you're drafting.

Good points. It sucks to see guys like Erik Karlsson with SO much talent, languishing away their best years on a team without direction. Maybe planning on sucking eventually (and planning for the high draft picks that will come as a result) is actually a forward-thinking move.

EDIT: Just thinking out loud here, guys.

YouNeverKnow25 02-23-2018 12:18 PM

I don't even think it's a matter of planning to suck, it's just--worry about what happens in 2023 when 2023 comes along, you've got sidney crosby and geno malkin in their (late) primes sitting in front of you right now!

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2018 12:18 PM

I think you really gotta rely on scouting and have a keen sense of how the salary cap works at the present time, and projecting your lineup cap-wise in the future.

tl;dr: don't be the Hawks.

Dramageek 02-23-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 17026064)
That’s been a bit of a myth around these parts as of late. Sheahan’s numbers have very similar to Bonino’s.

But now, they have what I would think is better depth than the last two years (speaking in terms of center only)

Sid, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan >>>>>> Sid, Malkin, Bonino, Cullen

And @ YNK, Mark Madden just said an Ottawa radio station saying Sens keeping some of Brassards salary.

With the addition of Brassard they are in excellent shape down the middle now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17026067)
:lol

But seriously, the idea of building a "consistently" strong team seems less and less of a reality in the cap world where you have to fork over major cash to your superstars. So maybe instead of long-term consistency you plan for a few years of major peaks, followed by a few years of valleys, then hopefully draft well enough during the valley years to get back to the peaks. In that sense, "mortgaging the future" maybe isn't that bad of an idea, especially when you've got Crosbys, Malkins, Kessels, and Letangs on your roster?

I agree with this. I’d much rather have the success the Pens enjoyed over the last few years even if it means spending a few years in the dumper. Ask the resident Rangers fans about being consistently above average but never truly great.

The danger, of course, is getting lost in the weeds. The Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers had their vast successes in the 70’s and 80’s, but have had more rough patches than successes since then.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 17026080)
I agree with this. I’d much rather have the success the Pens enjoyed over the last few years even if it means spending a few years in the dumper. Ask the resident Rangers fans about being consistently above average but never truly great.

The danger, of course, is getting lost in the weeds. The Canadiens, Islanders and Oilers had their vast successes in the 70’s and 80’s, but have had more rough patches than successes since then.

Yes, the Rangers, Red Wings, Sharks, and Blues are good examples of consistently decent teams that just haven't been able to get to that level. I'm sure many fans think as you do in regards to perhaps sacrificing some of that consistency in order to get a few Cups.

And to be clear, I'm not saying a team should only plan on 2-3 good years and then start sucking again. If you can find and draft Crosby types during your down years, you're looking at a decade of good years if you build well around them (ahem, Oilers).

Good point about those teams that haven't been able to dig themselves out of the cellar after succeeding for long periods of time. Like Matt said, this kind of mentality really puts a strong focus on good scouting.

mr.MikeD 02-23-2018 12:32 PM

can you guys stop talking about high draft picks and winning. i'm triggered.

TheLastPig 02-23-2018 12:33 PM

Brassard to Pens and they dont have to give up Sheary or Sprong, im in. Lets goooooooooooo

Dramageek 02-23-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 17026092)

:lol I was trying hard to be cognizant of the Oilers fans here. But Matty’s right. Draft generational talent and smartly build around them and you should be good for a decade.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 17026092)

:lol After your bad team beat my bad team last night, I gotta get my shots in where I can.

~Crashintome89~ 02-23-2018 12:53 PM

cole might be headed back to the metro, according to Eklund.

TMoore4075 02-23-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 17026102)
:lol I was trying hard to be cognizant of the Oilers fans here. But Matty’s right. Draft generational talent and smartly build around them and you should be good for a decade.

It's the after that that is tough and the Wings are seeing it now. The Wings drafted for the most part pretty well over the last # of years. They are just good enough to not be drafting top 3 but not good enough to make the playoffs. They've got talent but outside of Larkin (maybe Mantha) not much superstar talent. Sure as hell don't have it on the blueline.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17026124)
It's the after that that is tough and the Wings are seeing it now. The Wings drafted for the most part pretty well over the last # of years. They are just good enough to not be drafting top 3 but not good enough to make the playoffs. They've got talent but outside of Larkin (maybe Mantha) not much superstar talent. Sure as hell don't have it on the blueline.

So what you're saying is that during the down years, you've gotta be like REALLY down.

Of course, the Avs had their historically bad season last year and still ended up drafting at #4 :lol. But, then again, they got an absolute steal in Cale Makar.

TMoore4075 02-23-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17026130)
So what you're saying is that during the down years, you've gotta be like REALLY down.

Of course, the Avs had their historically bad season last year and still ended up drafting at #4 :lol. But, then again, they got an absolute steal in Cale Makar.

Kinda yeah. If you miss the playoffs, it's better for your chances to REALLY miss the playoffs. lol BUT it doesn't always work either. Buffalo, EDM, ARZ are examples of how it doesn't. Although not sure what's up with EDM after last year. BUT before McDavid all their #1 picks didn't lead to anything.. So I get why Ken Holland isn't try to just sell everything. Get the most draft picks and assets and see what you can do.

fonzz41 02-23-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 17026150)
Kinda yeah. If you miss the playoffs, it's better for your chances to REALLY miss the playoffs. lol BUT it doesn't always work either. Buffalo, EDM, ARZ are examples of how it doesn't. Although not sure what's up with EDM after last year. BUT before McDavid all their #1 picks didn't lead to anything.. So I get why Ken Holland isn't try to just sell everything. Get the most draft picks and assets and see what you can do.

It's true that the timing of your sucking has to be right. It's not like every year has a Crosby or McDavid going at #1. You gotta get that guy, but then draft well throughout the next few seasons to build a strong pipeline of supporting players.