Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Lcsulla 04-30-2016 08:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 16394502)
Orpik kind of broke my heart with that hit. I'm a life long fan of his. Always felt that he played a clean aggressive game for the most part. Hard to defend that hit on Maatta. Dirty, late, intent to injure, directly to the head.

Yeah, that was dumb by Orpik - especially since Maatta is playing awful.

barbogast 04-30-2016 09:27 PM

Tough game. The Caps had no business being in it going into the 3rd really. The Mike Richards chance right before the goal was a real kick in the sack. Murray was good when he needed to be but the Caps need a lot more 5 on 5. Those first two periods were awful.

I've learned that I didn't realize how good Nick Bonino is.

Disappointing play by Orpik too by the way.

rconverse 04-30-2016 09:40 PM

Go Stars, go Pens!!

nampahcj 05-01-2016 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 16394388)
Still mad? ;)

She is mad, but that's OK. Be happy for the Sharks Sarah. I have a buddy of mine who is huge Kings fan but he's rooting for San Jose now that LA is out. I I love that. Mad respect. Feels like it's the Sharks best shot this year .. M Jones sooo calm in net. :)

aeroshady 05-01-2016 05:32 AM

Pens Caps is going to be the best series of the playoffs for sure.

Dramageek 05-01-2016 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16394692)
Tough game. The Caps had no business being in it going into the 3rd really. The Mike Richards chance right before the goal was a real kick in the sack. Murray was good when he needed to be but the Caps need a lot more 5 on 5. Those first two periods were awful.

I've learned that I didn't realize how good Nick Bonino is.

Disappointing play by Orpik too by the way.

Bonino has had an enlightenment playing center to Kessel and Haeglin. It's been fun to watch. And I've always appreciated how hard Orpik plays, but he played dirty last night, particularly on the Mattaa hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16394804)

Yes. It'll take a couple years off my life but there you go.

JRS1386 05-01-2016 06:54 AM

The only defense I can think of for Orpik is that he did not expect Maata to turn and that led to the unfortunate hit. That being said, the hit was way late and he shouldn't be throwing his elbow around like he did.

wampa3 05-01-2016 07:56 AM

Oprik getting a hearing today with DOPS. I'm gonna guess one game, but a fine wouldn't surprise me either.

Climb2safety 05-01-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 16394845)
Oprik getting a hearing today with DOPS. I'm gonna guess one game, but a fine wouldn't surprise me either.

I think he gets 2 games as a repeat offender and that the player he hit is injured.

barbogast 05-01-2016 08:05 AM

2 would surprise me, unfortunately

Climb2safety 05-01-2016 08:23 AM

Two breakdowns in the defensive zone by the Caps and two goals by the Pens.

On the first they failed to cover the slot, which they sometimes do. On the second it looked like confusion and hesitation getting to the boards to get that free puck.

In the offensive zone, they failed to hit the net several times once they had momentum in the third. I hated that call and the goal being called off.

Ovechkin played good but he's gotta be great. Loved the Caps hitting, that could pay off big time if this goes 6 or 7. Murray was really solid, I still think if they can force him to make 35 or 40 saves they'll get enough by him. Glad the caps were better in the circle.

So far Pittsburgh is doing a great job not letting anything through. That takes its toll though. They really tilted the ice in the first two, the Caps were lucky to only be down by 1.

wampa3 05-01-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16394847)
I think he gets 2 games as a repeat offender and that the player he hit is injured.

Is he a repeat offender though? Milbury only thinks so because he hurt one of his precious Bruins on a clean hit.

Climb2safety 05-01-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 16394883)
Is he a repeat offender though? Milbury only thinks so because he hurt one of his precious Bruins on a clean hit.

True, just what I heard, maybe from him.

Lcsulla 05-01-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16394804)

Yeah, it has the potential to be one of the best this playoffs regardless of who wins or loses. That said we have already seen two neck and neck series' between the Hawks/Blue and the Preds/Ducks and have the potential to see another if both STL and SJ make it to the conference final.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 16394883)

Yeah, I think Milbury is biased in this case as well. Sure Orpik hits hard but that does not mean he is a repeat offender nor does it mean he is trying to hurt people on the ice. The hit he laid on Eriksson was hard but pretty clean, what really set the tone of ugliness was Shawn Thornton flying off the handle slightly later and going into a small gathering where two guys were jawing with each other (play was stopped already) while the ref kept them separated - Orpik was just looking and listening as any good assistant captain does. Then out of nowhere Thornton skates up behind Orpik and yanks him to the ice from behind like a coward and starts punching the daylights out of Orpik while he was not moving. The end result was Orpik getting a concussion and Thornton getting a 15 game suspension.

I do not cheer for Boston of Pittsburgh so I can be pretty objective on this one. Orpik didn't do anything wrong except to play hard. If I was one of the NHL player safety guys there is no way in hell I would think that Orpik deserves a suspension or fine. All of this is documented in video and easily available to view online. Maybe he gets a small fine but to suspend him would be absurd IMO.

bradshaw06 05-01-2016 10:36 AM

35 minutes for letang. My god.

Dramageek 05-01-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16394940)
Yeah, it has the potential to be one of the best this playoffs regardless of who wins or loses. That said we have already seen two neck and neck series' between the Hawks/Blue and the Preds/Ducks and have the potential to see another if both STL and SJ make it to the conference final.

Yeah, I think Milbury is biased in this case as well. Sure Orpik hits hard but that does not mean he is a repeat offender nor does it mean he is trying to hurt people on the ice. The hit he laid on Eriksson was hard but pretty clean, what really set the tone of ugliness was Shawn Thornton flying off the handle slightly later and going into a small gathering where two guys were jawing with each other (play was stopped already) while the ref kept them separated - Orpik was just looking and listening as any good assistant captain does. Then out of nowhere Thornton skates up behind Orpik and yanks him to the ice from behind like a coward and starts punching the daylights out of Orpik while he was not moving. The end result was Orpik getting a concussion and Thornton getting a 15 game suspension.

I do not cheer for Boston of Pittsburgh so I can be pretty objective on this one. Orpik didn't do anything wrong except to play hard. If I was one of the NHL player safety guys there is no way in hell I would think that Orpik deserves a suspension or fine. All of this is documented in video and easily available to view online. Maybe he gets a small fine but to suspend him would be absurd IMO.

Sorry, but removing my Pens goggles I simply cannot agree with the second paragraph. His hit on Mattaa was significantly late and he raised his elbow, seemingly with the intent to hit his head. Look, I've always been an Orpik fan, and I don't think he's a dirty player at all. But that hit was not remotely clean. If the league is serious about cracking down on dangerous hits that cause head injuries, they need to levy severe penalties against players who make those hits.

You say you're being objective, and I believe you. But if Kris Letang made that same exact hit in the same situation, causing one of the Caps to have a concussion, would you still be saying he did nothing wrong? Because honestly, I'd be saying Letang deserves a suspension.

Lcsulla 05-01-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16394948)
Sorry, but removing my Pens goggles I simply cannot agree with the second paragraph. His hit on Mattaa was significantly late and he raised his elbow, seemingly with the intent to hit his head. Look, I've always been an Orpik fan, and I don't think he's a dirty player at all. But that hit was not remotely clean. If the league is serious about cracking down on dangerous hits that cause head injuries, they need to levy severe penalties against players who make those hits.

You say you're being objective, and I believe you. But if Kris Letang made that same exact hit in the same situation, causing one of the Caps to have a concussion, would you still be saying he did nothing wrong? Because honestly, I'd be saying Letang deserves a suspension.

I guess it is up to interpretation but I thought Orpik was just finishing a (admittedly late) check and Maatta dropped his head a bit making the contact look worse than it would have been otherwise. He played long enough with the Pens that you know he is a physical guy but he is not some goon out to ruin careers.

I am being objective, I may be cheering for the Caps but honestly I don't have any bets on the series nor do I particularly care if Pittsburgh upsets Washington. Honestly, if Orpik was on the Hawks I'd be defending him much more emphatically and if he delivered that hit against a Hawk I'd be screaming for a suspension as well.

There is a pretty well written article here that describes Orpik's style but since you are a Pens fan you probably know all of what is stated: http://thehockeywriters.com/characte...-brooks-orpik/

EDIT: Meant to type goon, not good.

Lcsulla 05-01-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16394946)
35 minutes for letang. My god.

Ice time or was he given a post game 'suspension?'

barbogast 05-01-2016 11:55 AM

I feel like we just go around in circles on the illegal hits thing in here. Not that that's a bad thing.

Basically, a dirty hit is viewed as dirty by everyone except Lcsulla. And then the league does either nothing or far too little about it.

It's the NHL Thread Circle of Life

wampa3 05-01-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16394978)
I feel like we just go around in circles on the illegal hits thing in here. Not that that's a bad thing.

Basically, a dirty hit is viewed as dirty by everyone except Lcsulla. And then the league does either nothing or far too little about it.

It's the NHL Thread Circle of Life

Sooooooo, are you saying Lcsulla works for the DoPS?

barbogast 05-01-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampa3 (Post 16394990)
Sooooooo, are you saying Lcsulla works for the DoPS?

:lol I'd believe it

barbogast 05-01-2016 12:36 PM

Amazing new thread tags by the way. Props to whoever did that

Dramageek 05-01-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16394996)

:lol :lol Pas the Zimas!

fonzz41 05-01-2016 12:52 PM

Orpik should absolutely be suspended. I don't care if Maata lowered his head; it would've made zero difference if Orpik wouldn't have gone into it with his elbow like that. He's played in the league long enough to know to keep your damn elbows down.

dmbetc 05-01-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nampahcj (Post 16394789)
She is mad, but that's OK. Be happy for the Sharks Sarah. I have a buddy of mine who is huge Kings fan but he's rooting for San Jose now that LA is out. I I love that. Mad respect. Feels like it's the Sharks best shot this year .. M Jones sooo calm in net. :)

I truly miss Jones, but am very happy he is shining in his deserved #1 spot.

And sorry, I will never root for the Sharks, has nothing to do with being knocked out by them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16394996)

;)

Lcsulla 05-01-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16394978)

Just because you hit hard and finish your checks doesn't always mean it was a dirty hit. I was taught to always finish my checks, not to be dirty and try and harm the opponent but simply because often if you pull up on a hit you end up on the deck yourself while the guy you were intending to hit skates away free and you open yourself to a hit even if you don't end up on the ice. I played D a long time and know the rules, I also know on a few occasions I would pull up on a hit and end up on the ice doing so or get checked to the deck by another player.

I fully agree the NHL needs to take more safety precautions and crack down on dirty hits but I do not believe that hit from Orpik warrants a suspension. Sometimes we often forget that hockey is a contact sport...

barbogast 05-01-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16395014)
I truly miss Jones, but am very happy he is shining in his deserved #1 spot.

And sorry, I will never root for the Sharks, has nothing to do with being knocked out by them.

;)

I had a feeling that was you

dmbetc 05-01-2016 02:48 PM

Sunday afternoon OT playoff hockey :hump

rconverse 05-01-2016 03:24 PM

Fuck that.

Edit: In reference to STL winning that game.

dmbetc 05-01-2016 03:26 PM

:lol Roussel not very smart.