Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Dramageek 04-05-2016 08:44 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16360619)
Letang has been just as offensively productive as Karlsson and is much better in his own zone

Letang is on another level than everyone right now. his plays speaks for itself

:thumbsup :thumbsup

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360633)
Yeah, they are always more concerned with offense than defense.

this statement is why the Norris is basically meaningless nowadays

kind of sad in a lot of ways

i was always confused as to why Brooks Orpik was never in the running when he was in his prime. the guy would be SO good in his own zone that he would inspire chants of "defense" at the Igloo

not saying he should've won because guys like Lidstrom, Chara, & Keith were in their primes also, but to not even get a mention because he didn't score is just absurd

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16360619)
Letang has been just as offensively productive as Karlsson and is much better in his own zone

Letang is on another level than everyone right now. his plays speaks for itself

I agree with you but the writers in their infinite wisdom will look more at the 15 more points Karlsson has than Letang while conveniently overlooking the fact that Karlsson has played ten more games than Letang.

barbogast 04-05-2016 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360515)
Wow, lot of clinching playoff slots yesterday - Rangers, Pathers, Sharks and Preds - plus I cannot see a scenario where the Wild or the Lightening do not get in, rest is going down to the wire.

Lets talk trophies now

Presidents cup is already won by the Caps.
I think with 8 points in the past 2 games Panarin sealed up the Calder
Vezina is tough. Holtby, Bishop and Elliot are the frontrunners I would say.
Kane runs away with the Art Ross
Lady Bing goes to Tofoli IMO, he probably gets the Selke too - though you could also make a Selke case for Toews, Bergeron or Hossa.
Karlsonn wins another Norris
Kane likely sneaks out a win in for the Hart
McDavid would be my vote for the Bill Masterson
Barring a fluke Tofoli gets the Plus minus award
Ovi is almost a lock for the Maurice Ricards
Jack Adams is tough, best guesses are John Cooper, Barry Trotz, Bruce Boudreau - possibly to Dave Hakstol or Joel Quenneville
Roger Crozier award probably goes to Elliot or Bishop barring a barring both of them taking a dump and getting smoked in the last few games in which case it would oddly go to Crawford
Ted Lindsay Award probably goes to Kane
Yzerman probably retains the GM award
Toews likely gets the Messier leadership award

The rest are going to be battles right up until the end and I won't even bother making predictions!

What the hell is the Roger Crozier award?

There's a plus minus award?

Vezina is not close, sorry

Can McDavid even win the Masterson this year?

What h2p said about Crosby and the Selke is exactly how I feel about Nick Backstrom (of course it is, I know)

dmbetc 04-05-2016 09:10 AM

Doughty for Norris.

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360661)
What the hell is the Roger Crozier award?

There's a plus minus award?

Vezina is not close, sorry

Can McDavid even win the Masterson this year?

What h2p said about Crosby and the Selke is exactly how I feel about Nick Backstrom (of course it is, I know)

Roger Crozier award is for the goalie who has the best save percentage.

Agreed the plus minus award is pointless.

I think Holtby runs away with the Vezina.

I also think McDavid has a good shot at the Masterson, he certainly qualifies based on the NHL criteria:

Quote:

National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360659)
I agree with you but the writers in their infinite wisdom will look more at the 15 more points Karlsson has than Letang while conveniently overlooking the fact that Karlsson has played ten more games than Letang.

bingo

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360661)

:lol you aren't going to try to convince us that Backstrom is as good as Crosby againm are you?

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16360664)
Doughty for Norris.

I would have no issue with that but I think the writers will likely put him 2nd or 3rd on the vote due to his point total being well behind Karlsson.

fonzz41 04-05-2016 09:55 AM

I think Trotz definitely deserves the Adams award this year. Of course, if you look back over the years, I think I've said that for the last 5 years at least. I just love that guy.

But a big one that we're missing here is Gerard Gallant in Florida. The patient work he's done in Florida bringing along those young guys has been fantastic. He's easily second place to Trotz in my book. Boudreau would round out my top 3. A lot of teams have performed admirable turn-arounds, but none so dramatically as Anaheim's in my book.

As for the Norris, you guys know me and me aversion to giving it to offensive defensemen, but I just saw a stat on Erik Karlsson that blew me away: With his 64 (SIXTY FOUR) assists, not to mention 15 goals which is nothing to balk at for a defenseman, he factored into ONE THIRD of all the goals the Sens scored this year. That's not just Norris-worthy, that should have him in the Hart discussion as well for most valuable to the team. Not only that, but his defense improves every year. This hard-nosed defenseman really enjoys watching him now at all ends of the ice. He's really becoming Lidstrom-esque in his positioning and smarts.

Rounding out my Norris voting is Letang (I agree with you all that his defensive improvement this year has been dramatic) and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. I would sure love to see what OEL could do away from the Yotes, but they're going to keep their future captain locked up for a long time if they can.

Hart voting for me comes down to Kane, Karlsson, and Crosby.

Vezina is Holtby, Quick, and Luongo.

You all know my Calder thoughts. Even with them, Panarin wins.

Selke will most likely have the usual lineup of Bergeron, Datsyuk, and Toews. Nothing wrong with those three - they deserve it - but it's getting predictable. Crosby has always been a very defensively responsible player (remember the arguments we used to have in here about him vs Ovechkin? Some of the most heated we've ever had :lol). And I would love to see some bottom 6 PK-ers get some love for this award. Guys like Jack Skille, Zack Smith, etc.

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 10:00 AM

we'll see Karlsson vs. Letang tonight

if anyone is able to watch Sens vs. Pens, i suggest doing it

IMO, the eye test will tell you that Crosby is more deserving of the Selke than anyone and that Letang is the best defenseman in the world right now

god the Pens are fucking sexy right now

fonzz41 04-05-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16360741)
we'll see Karlsson vs. Letang tonight

if anyone is able to watch Sens vs. Pens, i suggest doing it

IMO, the eye test will tell you that Crosby is more deserving of the Selke than anyone and that Letang is the best defenseman in the world right now

god the Pens are fucking sexy right now

Yeah, have a look at Karlsson. He's really improved and is a lot of fun to watch, regardless if you're trying to compare him to Letang.

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 10:04 AM

yea, not taking anything away from Karlsson whatsoever. love watching him play too

but the Norris has turned into the Art Ross for defensemen, which is such bullshit

i'm sure Karlsson is rounding out his game in his own zone, but Letang is unreal. just as good of a skater as Karlsson but with a better stick and more physicality.

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 10:07 AM

I cannot stand the guy but they have to put Brent Burns in the Norris mix too.

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16360753)
but the Norris has turned into the Art Ross for defensemen, which is such bullshit

Could not agree more.

fonzz41 04-05-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

but the Norris has turned into the Art Ross for defensemen, which is such bullshit.

You won't find anyone around that agrees with you more than me on this. If it were up to me, guys like Niklas Hjalmarsson and Karl Alzner would be winning the Norris every year.

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360766)
Could not agree more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16360768)
You won't find anyone around that agrees with you more than me on this. If it were up to me, guys like Niklas Hjalmarsson and Karl Alzner would be winning the Norris every year.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

barbogast 04-05-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

God I love you

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Yeah, two of the most under-rated guys in the NHL but both of them put up squat for points. The voters never consider how valuable their penalty killing, shot blocking, checking, passing and playing shut down defense is! Hell in Hjalmarsson's case you'd think he merit some more attention considering he was a key cog in 3 championships!

barbogast 04-05-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360677)
Roger Crozier award is for the goalie who has the best save percentage.

Agreed the plus minus award is pointless.

I think Holtby runs away with the Vezina.

I also think McDavid has a good shot at the Masterson, he certainly qualifies based on the NHL criteria:

Coulda sworn that was called the William Jennings award

Also I literally did not know they gave an award for +/-. Yikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16360683)
:lol you aren't going to try to convince us that Backstrom is as good as Crosby againm are you?

No, but I do think he deserves some Selke consideration, and he's never really had any

fonzz41 04-05-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360789)
God I love you

I knew that would make you smile.

Guys - another d-man to watch is John Klingberg in Dallas. He's finishing up a superb sophomore campaign in which he didn't come anywhere close to sophomore slump. I almost included him in my Norris top 3, he's that solid. He'll be a perennial nominee for years to come, mark my words.

hailtopitt 04-05-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360796)
No, but I do think he deserves some Selke consideration, and he's never really had any

i can get on board with that

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360796)
Coulda sworn that was called the William Jennings award

:lol I had to look it up myself. Jennings is for the goalie who's team has given up the least goals in the league. Crozier is for individual save percentage.

Completely agree that no one gives a damn about +/-!

fonzz41 04-05-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16360806)
:lol I had to look it up myself. Jennings is for the goalie who's team has given up the least goals in the league. Crozier is for individual save percentage.

Completely agree that no one gives a damn about +/-!

Yeah, Jennings is a tandem award. So the both the backup and starting goalies for the team share the award.

barbogast 04-05-2016 10:58 AM

Is Crozier new? How have I never heard of this before?

Also is the +/- award really just called the Plus Minus Award? I don't ever remember an award being given for that

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16360812)
Yeah, Jennings is a tandem award. So the both the backup and starting goalies for the team share the award.

A tandem award in which the defense that actually shuts down the opposition gets no credit at all. ;)

Lcsulla 04-05-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16360876)
Is Crozier new? How have I never heard of this before?

Also is the +/- award really just called the Plus Minus Award? I don't ever remember an award being given for that

Crozier award has been around since the 2000 season.

Yup, that is exactly what it is called - that one has been around since 1983.

JRS1386 04-05-2016 11:13 AM

Couts needs some Selke love

dmbetc 04-05-2016 11:15 AM

Sarah Bangs award: Who is the hairiest?

JRS1386 04-05-2016 11:21 AM

I thought it would have been hockey wife Sarah would most want to bang

salrx95 04-05-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

yea, not taking anything away from Karlsson whatsoever. love watching him play too

i'm sure Karlsson is rounding out his game in his own zone, but Letang is unreal. just as good of a skater as Karlsson but with a better stick and more physicality.

Turned into the Art Ross?. It's mostly been that way for most our lives. Rod Langway was a very long time ago at this point.