Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

coldengrey12 03-30-2016 09:53 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16352653)
I feel ya, brother. They constructed a pretty good team. Not a championship team but certainly a playoff team. They just can't finish games. There's no confidence, no swagger, and the team overall seems lost. No common goal, no sticking up for each other. A lot of positive growth from individual players, but nothing cohesive.

Yeah, the D needs to get better, but I think the problem is really leadership. I love the IDEA of Landy as a captain, but do they need to make a change there? I know not all leadership happens on the ice, but that component seems to be missing. And Iginla... Either he's hurt or just coasting through the final years of his contract.

And as much as the legend of Patrick is and always will be strong in Denver, it's time to take a hard look at whether he's working out. I mean, with the way they've played, especially these last 20 games, the coaching HAS to come into question. I think he gets one more season to see if they can try to rebuild some of the culture they were so close to attaining earlier in the season. Disappointing for sure, and frankly Minnesota just deserves it more.

The bolded is the biggest problem. I mean, forget Corsi and Fenwick and all of that stuff. My Dad always used to say shots on goal is only proof that you know where the net is, not that you score. :lol We just die in the third period. When we went into the third trailing last night, it was like, well, I'm pretty sure our season is over.

It also doesn't help that we're in the toughest division in the NHL, but those are the breaks.

I think they wanted Iginla to bring that veteran leadership, but he's been a total nonfactor. I didn't expect him to be the superstar who led the Flames to the Finals, but he's been a ghost.

I agree on Roy. You can only ride that nostalgia trip for so long. This team isn't perfect, but neither was the 13-14 team that he guided to a division title.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353202)
Aaron Boone my friend, one of the best sports moments in my life. Even though he was awful hit a huge home run to get the Yanks to the series. Just wish I could have celebrated more, when he hit that dinger I was in a tux at a university fundraiser so no drinking or excessive celebration.

I still get a kick out of Boston fans who think I am bullshitting when I say that the 2001 WS lose was worse than the Sox comeback in 2004. In 2001 the Yanks had come back from a 2-0 deficit in the DS and won 3 in a row to advance, then they beat the snot out of the 116 win Mariners to get to the World Series, then beat that closer in games 3 and 4, we had champagne on the table ready to celebrate before Mo blew the save - we were just stunned and silent. In 2004 we went up 3 games to none but there was still about a week worth of games to play so as Boston won a couple of games I had time to consider that we might just loose the series - it was not yanked away in a split second like 2001.

Funny thing is I was in the bleachers for game 7 in 2004 fully expecting the Yanks to win. Watching a pair of Damon home runs fly over my head sucked and worse I could not even have a beer (they didn't serve it it the bleachers back then and you could not go into another section to get one) or a smoke to calm down (thank god for xanax)- I finally went into a bathroom stall to have a cigarette figuring if I got caught I would not get in much trouble and would happily tell the security guard that the Yanks owed me a smoke for how bad they played~ Lastly, this one was brutal - I left the stadium and was walking towards the car I turned around and walked back to an outside vendor and grabbed my closest friend a program knowing how much he'd appreciate it since he is a life long Sox fan!

The 2003 ALCS sucked being a Sox fan. Grady Little lost us that series. All happened for a reason though. It set up the epic rematch that will go down as the greatest playoff series in history.

I can't speak for you, but I know my Yankees fan friends thought that series was way over. It never occurred to them that they could lose that series. Even going into game 6 and 7 they were cocky as shit. Nothing gave me that much pleasure!

2001 hurt because of 9.11.01. Even I was pulling for the Yankees in that series. I just wanted NY to celebrate again. I still think it helped the healing though. Just as I imagine 2013 helped Boston.

Edit: Sorry for the non-hockey chat in here!

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16353209)
The 2003 ALCS sucked being a Sox fan. Grady Little lost us that series. All happened for a reason though. It set up the epic rematch that will go down as the greatest playoff series in history.

I can't speak for you, but I know my Yankees fan friends thought that series was way over. It never occurred to them that they could lose that series. Even going into game 6 and 7 they were cocky as shit. Nothing gave me that much pleasure!

2001 hurt because of 9.11.01. Even I was pulling for the Yankees in that series. I just wanted NY to celebrate again. I still think it helped the healing though. Just as I imagine 2013 helped Boston.

Edit: Sorry for the non-hockey chat in here!

Yeah, Little blew that big time. No idea why he didn't bring in Timlin or Embree when the Yanks started rallying. I was stunned he didn't because they had been so effective.

Sure I was a bit cocky and confident when the Yanks were up 3-0 but once Boston won games 4 and 5 I started to have some doubt that we would win that series.

Agreed that 2001 and 2013 did a lot to heal both cities after terrorist attacks.

Also sorry for the non hockey chat!

TMoore4075 03-30-2016 10:10 AM

Wings could be sitting in 3rd today but nope they're fuckers.

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16353265)
Wings could be sitting in 3rd today but nope they're fuckers.

I doubt they will make any waves in the playoffs but I see no way that Carolina or Ottawa will win out and snatch Detroit's playoff slot - barring some major fluke obviously. I am pretty confident they will continue their streak of making the playoffs.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353334)
I doubt they will make any waves in the playoffs but I see no way that Carolina or Ottawa will win out and snatch Detroit's playoff slot - barring some major fluke obviously. I am pretty confident they will continue their streak of making the playoffs.

you realize it has nothing to do with Carolina or Ottawa right?

Wings are on the outside looking in right now

same amount of points as the Flyers but the Flyers have 2 games in hand

after Philly won last night, not looking good for Detroit

Climb2safety 03-30-2016 12:09 PM

If the only way to be guaranteed home ice is the presidents trophy that's fine by me. The Caps have been bounced every year at some point with or without it so it makes absolutely no difference in and of itself.

We got home home ice. Lets go.

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353467)
you realize it has nothing to do with Carolina or Ottawa right?

Wings are on the outside looking in right now

same amount of points as the Flyers but the Flyers have 2 games in hand

after Philly won last night, not looking good for Detroit

I know that on an intellectual level, I was just pointing out that mathematically neither Carolina nor Ottawa are eliminated just yet.

EDIT: Gotta give the Wings fans SOME hope! :)

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353524)
I know that on an intellectual level, I was just pointing out that mathematically neither Carolina nor Ottawa are eliminated just yet.

yea true

would definitely be weird watching the first round with no Red Wings

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353527)
yea true

would definitely be weird watching the first round with no Red Wings

I was in middle school the last time they missed the playoffs! Hell I was still a die hard Whalers fan. :lol

barbogast 03-30-2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353524)

EDIT: Gotta give the Wings fans SOME hope! :)

No I don't buy this. I don't think you got it until you read h2p's post.

barbogast 03-30-2016 12:44 PM

Flyers people. First round preview tonight? I think very possibly yes it is

Trotz shook the lines all around at morning skate. Word is it may be a disguise.

Seems like there's really no need to disguise it, but whatevs

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 12:49 PM

i think the Flyers or the Penguins could take out the Caps in round 1

no way the Pens are falling down to the 2nd WC at this point though...barring epic collapse

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16353572)
No I don't buy this. I don't think you got it until you read h2p's post.

I can read the standings as well as anyone and nothing in my post in untrue. Give me a little credit, I am not some idiot. I have been reading professional sports standings since before a lot the NHL players were even born.

barbogast 03-30-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353609)
I can read the standings as well as anyone and nothing in my post in untrue. Give me a little credit, I am not some idiot. I have been reading professional sports standings since before a lot the NHL players were even born.

There's a team ahead of Carolina and Ottawa

Yet you mentioned those two teams

You also said "Detroit's spot", as if they are currently in one

Except they're not

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16353585)

Trotz shook the lines all around at morning skate. Word is it may be a disguise.

Could be the first round matchup and to be honest I hope the Caps clobber the Flyers and sow some seeds of doubt in the Flyer camp while breaking their franchise record for wins in a single season.

JRS1386 03-30-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

So bummed I got to work through the game. Hope Washington rests everyone tonight and makes it easy :lol

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16353614)
There's a team ahead of Carolina and Ottawa

Yet you mentioned those two teams

You also said "Detroit's spot", as if they are currently in one

Except they're not

I am aware of that but I don't think the Bruins, the Islanders, or the Devils are going to cause many team in the East any big problems - except maybe by spoiling a game or two in the last few games. Of course I do not think it is 'their' spot' but I would not wager against them getting in, they have an obnoxious habit of seemingly always making the playoffs.

Edit: my reasoning is that Detroit is only 1 point behind Boston for third in the eastern conference and both have played an equal number of games.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 01:08 PM

i would totally bet against Detroit right now

24 year streak is impressive but math is math

Brohan_Santana 03-30-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Caps game literally means nothing. Just trying to mix some things up to see how pairs play with each other. Perfect game to experiment with Oshie out.

The only player who will see a lot less ice time for sure will be Orlov. Orlov has been a liability on D. Will still see PP time though. Wouldn't be surprised if Trotz rolls 2 Dman pairing for the majority of the time in the playoffs

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353664)

There is a rink full of teams you could bet against right now considering the only team in the Eastern Conference who has actually secured a playoff spot is Washington. :lol

Talk about down to the wire!!

Brohan_Santana 03-30-2016 01:14 PM

In all seriousness though, how the Hawks fan in here not concerned about their team? Playing sub .500 since ASG, injuries and that second line slowing down in scoring. THey haven't been the same Hawks by any stretch

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16353695)
In all seriousness though, how the Hawks fan in here not concerned about their team? Playing sub .500 since ASG, injuries and that second line slowing down in scoring. THey haven't been the same Hawks by any stretch

Not really concerned about much except that they cannot seem to score on a PP. New guys are gelling, the Toews line is taking on more the scoring load than before the ASG, the Anisimov line is as dangerous as any line in the league - admittedly I like having Teravainen center that line a bit more than Anisimov, Kruger is back and healthy, their PK is playing great, the third line is playing solid hockey, Shaw is playing damn good recently, fourth line is doing exactly what you want out of them, Seabrook should be back for Friday's game and with some luck both Crawford and Keith will be back soon. The Hawks are capable of flipping a switch in a new york minute and to be honest I doubt any team really wants to face them in the playoffs.

unccrombie 03-30-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16353664)

24 year streak is impressive but math is math

you'd make a fine pitt boss for the expansion team

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16353618)
Could be the first round matchup and to be honest I hope the Caps clobber the Flyers and sow some seeds of doubt in the Flyer camp while breaking their franchise record for wins in a single season.

sow some seeds of doubt?

Don't think so. I don't think anyone realistically is expecting the Flyers to win tonight. We'll be lucky to get a point. Our only hope is that Washington is a little flat after wrapping up the Presidents' Trophy and we get to Holtby early.

aeroshady 03-30-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

3 Cups in 5 years. They also lost like 4 straight going into the playoffs last year. And 1919191919191919191919191919191!!!!!!!!! 88!!!88!!!88!!!88!!!88!!88!!!!

Lcsulla 03-30-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16353744)
sow some seeds of doubt?

Don't think so. I don't think anyone realistically is expecting the Flyers to win tonight. We'll be lucky to get a point. Our only hope is that Washington is a little flat after wrapping up the Presidents' Trophy and we get to Holtby early.

I know the Caps habitually stumble in the playoffs but I would not want to face them in a first round matchup in a couple weeks, especially if they go out tonight and convincingly beat the Flyers.

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2016 01:31 PM

Of course not, their goal differential is like an insane +108.

I don't think the Caps will sweep the Flyers in a playoff matchup. They actually match up really well against one another physically, goaltending wise, and maybe defensively.

Offensively, without question the Caps are better than anyone outside of Chicago.

EDIT: Even if the Caps demolish the Flyers tonight, it will mean nothing. Regular season wins mean jack when it comes to the playoffs.

~Crashintome89~ 03-30-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'd be more worried about the Caps than the Hawks. As Aero mentioned, the Blackhawks have actually won stuff in recent years while the Caps have consistently choked.

hailtopitt 03-30-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16353742)
you'd make a fine pitt boss for the expansion team

:lol i see what u did...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16353764)
Of course not, their goal differential is like an insane +108.

I don't think the Caps will sweep the Flyers in a playoff matchup. They actually match up really well against one another physically, goaltending wise, and maybe defensively.

Offensively, without question the Caps are better than anyone outside of Chicago.

EDIT: Even if the Caps demolish the Flyers tonight, it will mean nothing. Regular season wins mean jack when it comes to the playoffs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16353766)
I'd be more worried about the Caps than the Hawks. As Aero mentioned, the Blackhawks have actually won stuff in recent years while the Caps have consistently choked.

:thumbsup all of this